Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SALARY CAP : we're $2.7 mill. over 2007 salary cap ~ ~ ~

kelly

the problem with that is you can't get cheap depth through FA you get it through the draft so we need to be able to do both, get good players in FA such as Washington, ARE, etc.... and learn how to draft past the 3rd round, and once we have picks
I disagree. This year we had Wright($470K) Holdman($470K) Posey($465K) Pucillo($430K) Wade($470K) Fox($470K). Those are both starters and depth. Their quality can be debated, but it is obvious that veteran talent is out there and because of the way the cap is structured vets actually come at a HIGHER value.

I disagree. This year we had Wright($470K) Holdman($470K) Posey($465K) Pucillo($430K) Wade($470K) Fox($470K). Those are both starters and depth. Their quality can be debated, but it is obvious that veteran talent is out there and because of the way the cap is structured vets actually come at a HIGHER value.

quality is huge, plus will some of them play for that much next year and would they even see the field on any other team??

with players in the draft you get them cheap and for a lot of years, which is why 3rd to 5th round picks are so important

Some teams build depth that is intended not just as a emergency substitutes, but as young players who will develop into starters. None of the guys you listed qualifies. The cheap Skins are usually aging castoffs from other teams.

So you can find someone in FA willing to play for the Skins, no doubt. But that doesn't really consistute depth in my book. Look what happened in the secondary -- the Skins spent the offseason, even late into August, signing players, but when someone got injured they still had to go trolling on the waiver wire. That ain't depth.

Some teams build depth that is intended not just as a emergency substitutes, but as young players who will develop into starters. None of the guys you listed qualifies. The cheap Skins are usually aging castoffs from other teams.

So you can find someone in FA willing to play for the Skins, no doubt. But that doesn't really consistute depth in my book. Look what happened in the secondary -- the Skins spent the offseason, even late into August, signing players, but when someone got injured they still had to go trolling on the waiver wire. That ain't depth.

Golston, Montgomery, Doughty, Espy Broughton are players we drafted that will provide cheap depth next year. Cartwright, Campbell, Marshall, Salave'a, Evans and Prioleau are all quality, cheap depth. Not to mention Suisham and Albright who are cheap special teamers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

Salary cap in the NFL

The NFL's cap is a so-called "hard cap", which no team can exceed for any reason under penalty from the league. A lesser-known fact is that the NFL also has a hard salary floor—a minimum team payroll that no team can drop beneath for any reason. The cap was introduced for the 1994 season and was set at $34.6 million initially. Both the cap and the floor are adjusted annually based on the change in the league's revenues. As of 2006 the NFL salary cap is approximately 102 million US dollars per team, while the salary floor is roughly $75 million per team. This number has increased every year since 1994 and will reach approximately $109 million in 2007.

Under the NFL's agreement with the NFLPA, (with a few rare exceptions) the salary cap effects of guaranteed payments to players are prorated over the term of a contract. A $10 million dollar signing bonus on a four year contract counts as $2.5 million towards the cap during each of those four years. If a player retires, is traded, or is cut before June 1st, all remaining bonus is applied to the salary cap for the current season. If after June 1st, the current cap is unchanged, and the next year's cap must absorb the entire remaining bonus.

Because of this treatment, NFL contracts almost always include the right to cut a player before the beginning of a season. If a player is cut, his salary for the remainder of his contract is not paid, and never counted against the salary cap for that team. Players signing long term contracts usually receive guaranteed signing bonuses, thus providing them with financial security even if they are cut before the end of their contract.

Incentive bonuses require a team to pay a player additional money if he achieves a certain goal. For the purposes of the salary cap bonuses are classified as either "likely to be earned" which requires the amount of the bonus to count against the cap, or as "not likely to be earned" meaning it will not count against the team's salary cap. Large NLTBE bonuses are written into contracts to make them sound larger in the media. A team's salary cap may be adjusted downwards for NLTBE bonuses that were earned in the previous year and upwards for LTBE bonuses that were not earned in the previous year.

Teams usually design contracts so that the player's cap salary is highest in later years of the cap. They accomplish this by setting the player's base salary at lower amounts in the first years of the contract than the higher years.

The effect of the salary cap has been the release of many higher-salaried veteran players and their replacement by lower-salaried younger players. The salary cap prevents teams with a superior financial situation from the formerly widespread practice of stocking as much talent on the roster as possible by placing younger players on reserve lists with false injuries. This was often used to allow an inexperienced player to learn valuable skills, and some money, while not counting as a player on the active roster. This practice allowed teams to keep an experienced, capable quarterback, whose skills were beginning to decline with age or who was merely nearing retirement, to train a potentially great, but inexperienced young quarterback. (A notable example is the case of the San Francisco 49ers playing Hall of Famer Joe Montana while grooming future Hall of Famer Steve Young.)

Generally, the practice of keeping older players who had contributed to the team in the past, but whose abilities have declined, had fallen out of favor, as a veteran's minimum salary was required to be higher than a player with lesser experience. To prevent this, a veteran player who receives no bonuses in his contract may be paid the veteran minimum of up to $810,000, while only accounting for $425,000 in salary cap space.

It is widely believed that the salary cap has increased parity in the NFL. Although the system has allowed a greater turnover in playoff teams than at any other time in the Super Bowl era, it has not prevented the New England Patriots from winning three Super Bowls in four years (The seasons beginning in 2001, 2003 and 2004). Media reports have attributed this to New England's aggressively unsentimental use of the salary cap in trimming veterans (such as Lawyer Milloy, a key member of the 2001 team who was cut just before the start of the 2003 season.)

The salary cap has also served to limit the rate of increase of the cost of operating a team. This has accrued to the owners' benefit, and is widely regarded as being responsible for the NFL being overall the most financially stable of the major North American sports organizations. While the initial cap of $34.6 million has increased to $102 million, this is due to large growths of revenue, in all probability because of the pragmatism of the cap, and financial flexibility it gives to owners.

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

we'll restructure as usual and release some ppl to free up some cap space and be fine as ususal. We'll still be able to afford top notch FA's like Nate clements, and others.

If you didn't know already Dan Snyder OWNS the cap.

This is the same mentality used by all the idiots who've pulled all the equity out of their house to buy a new Hummer (or an over-priced Free Agent). Someday you have to face the music, it will be ugly when the Redskins have to do this.

Herein lies the essence of what is wrong this franchise.

Can't recognize that our player management style is the reason we aren't good.

Can't learn from the lessons of franchises like the Pats (who could go to their 4th SB in 6 years) and the Eagles (consistently competitive in the NFC).

Can't seem to grasp that our game to 'beat' the salary cap only wins off-season championships and results in an aging, over-paid, and under-competitive team completely lacking in necessary depth.

I cannot fathom how someone could follow this team and not see this as a problem....

There are a TON of teams that draft and run the cap well. However, there are only a handful of teams that do well "win/loss" wise. NE, Philly, Seattle, Pitt, etc. I think a stable coaching/management structure is equally as important as cap management. Over the last 7 yrs, the Skins have had 5 head coaches, 5 d-coodinators, 4 o-coodinators, philosophy changes, personell, etc. Have the "good cap" teams made as many moves? As long as Snyder dumps $$$ back into the team, the cap will never be a problem. Changing systems, or coaches often is the major problem. Not the cap. Look at the teams with tenured coaching staffs.

OMG not again

Every single offseason some tool comes in here with doom and gloom predictions about the cap.

EVERY offseason, we get the players we want.

Are the posters this stupid or are they just now starting to follow the skins.

I sincerely hope its the latter, because our fanbase is starting to look ignorant.

If you want facts, look back at the posts for the least 4 years. We OWN the cap.

2.7 million over is chump change.

I'll gurantee it right now well free up 10 times that amount this offseason. Thats because i know my team.

Someday you have to face the music, it will be ugly when the Redskins have to do this.

I think the point is the Redskins WON'T have to do this.

You can hate Snyder and the F.O. all you want, but the fact still remains if it's one thing they're good at, it's managing the cap.

We go through all these gloom and doom cap hell predictions EVERY YEAR and every year....no cap hell. To spend as much money as we do and not see cap trouble is nothing short of amazing.

There are a TON of teams that draft and run the cap well. However, there are only a handful of teams that do well "win/loss" wise. NE, Philly, Seattle, Pitt, etc. I think a stable coaching/management structure is equally as important as cap management. Over the last 7 yrs, the Skins have had 5 head coaches, 5 d-coodinators, 4 o-coodinators, philosophy changes, personell, etc. Have the "good cap" teams made as many moves? As long as Snyder dumps $$$ back into the team, the cap will never be a problem. Changing systems, or coaches often is the major problem. Not the cap. Look at the teams with tenured coaching staffs.

You go back far enough to try and prove your point, but its moot.

The last 3 years we have been very stable with our coaches.

But I guess its like political polling. If you manuever the facts around long enough, you can get it to say what you want.

Last 3 years, 1 coach, 1 d coordinator, 2 off coordinators. Lets not dig back into the 50's just to make your point

Riiiiight.... He owns the cap. Yet every year we can't keep core guys around? See Smoot, Pierce, Clark. The fact is if DS owned the cap this team would be better.

I see Smoot. Arrested for a sex scandal, and this year lost his job to a rookie. Pierce was a mistake, but when you consider the guy had exactly ONE year of play under his belt to make the kind of money demand he made, it's a mistake you can't blame them for. they were TRYING to be fiscally responsible there.

Clark, I don't know why we let him walk,, i guess they thought they were upgrading with Archuletta. Definite mistake. Could be he wanted to go,, i mean, Super Bowl champion comes calling, it's got to be tempting.

But as to Smoot and Pierce,, the amount of money separating what the Redskins offered and what they took to leave tells me they weren't "core" in the first place.

But for pete's sake... OOO the big bad cap is coming!

No wonder Pasquarelli and his boys write this junk every year. You guys lap it up like milk.

Same old song and dance. 2.7 mil over is chump change in the NFL. They can get under in a few strokes of a pen.

~Bang

I think the point is the Redskins WON'T have to do this.

You can hate Snyder and the F.O. all you want, but the fact still remains if it's one thing they're good at, it's managing the cap.

We go through all these gloom and doom cap hell predictions EVERY YEAR and every year....no cap hell. To spend as much money as we do and not see cap trouble is nothing short of amazing.

We just need to learn how to get good players for our money.I mean if we did that our front office would be #1.

I see Smoot. Arrested for a sex scandal, and this year lost his job to a rookie. Pierce was a mistake, but when you consider the guy had exactly ONE year of play under his belt to make the kind of money demand he made, it's a mistake you can't blame them for. Clark, I don't know why we let him walk,, i guess they thought they were upgrading with Archuletta. Definite mistake.

But as to Smoot and Pierce,, the amount of money separating what the Redskins offered and what they took to leave tells me they weren't "core" in the first place.

But for pete's sake... OOO the big bad cap is coming!

No wonder Pasquarelli and his boys write this junk every year. You guys lap it up like milk.

Same old song and dance. 2.7 mil over is chump change in the NFL. They can get under in a few strokes of a pen.

~Bang

Smoot was a good CB for the Skins.You can talk about the trouble he got into in MINN,but the fact is he was good here.He gave a 110% and he didn't get into trouble in DC.I would take him back in a second.

We just need to learn how to get good players for our money.I mean if we did that our front office would be #1.

I think by and large they do... the thing is, with the flux of our QB situation, it was to be expected that they'd slide a bit this year. And that flux is unavoidable when you go with youth at the position.

It all hinges on Campbell. He proves he's worth the draft picks and their faith, then the story all changes dramatically. But he isn't going to develop overnight.

~Bang

Smoot was a good CB for the Skins.You can talk about the trouble he got into in MINN,but the fact is he was good here.He gave a 110% and he didn't get into trouble in DC.I would take him back in a second.

Whether he WAS good is irrelevant. What he is now is a guy who lost his job to a rookie.

And he left for a measly 600K. In NFL money, that's peanuts.

Bye Fred. Hope you didn't spend it all in one place.

~Bang

We need to get rid of Brunell's salary. That would be a big savings.

That will definitely be renegotiated.

One thing the redskins do better than most is move the money around. when these players sign these big multi year deals with all the money backloaded, they're expected tob renegotiate when the balloon years come. It is beneficial to them and to the team.. the back end money gets converted to bonus money, cash they get, so the player is happy. If they don't, all that ghost money at the end of the deal disappears in a puff of smoke, and they are looking for a job.

People say that eventually you'll have to pay the piper, but so far they don't.

Last year looked like the year it was to crash down, but due to the labor issue, the cap went up considerably.

Dan is a lot of things, but dumb ain't one of them. He obviously saw that coming and worked it to his advantage. Considering when the TV contracts were due, plus the collective bargaining agreement being renegotiated, plus the NFL making more money now than ever, what with every team but a handful having new stadiums with new luxury box cash and all the money that rolls in with it, it wasn't too hard to anticipate the cap would go up in a big way.

~Bang

Golston, Montgomery, Doughty, Espy Broughton are players we drafted that will provide cheap depth next year. Cartwright, Campbell, Marshall, Salave'a, Evans and Prioleau are all quality, cheap depth. Not to mention Suisham and Albright who are cheap special teamers.

No offense but Doughty, Montgomery, Espy and Broughton hardly touched the field and the redskins have no idea what kind of depth they provide. In fact in doughty we have a guy who the redskins repeatedly passed up playing time in favor of waiver wire pickups Vincent and Fox. Montogomery couldn't crack playing time on a d-line that put no pressure on the QB and had major trouble stopping the run, Espy didnt play in any significant action despite our No.2 WR having only 22 catches and 0 TD's and Broughton never saw the field and they showed no confidnce in him and Rock when they traded a 3rd and 4th round pick for TJ Duckett. Marshall regressed this yr and any more regression he cant be counted on to start. Salave'a looks finished but 'll give him the benefit of doubt that he was hurt most of the yr and Evans was a non factor after showing promise last season. Thats not depth and all those players u mentioned provide no real releif if a starter goes down long term or short term.

They redskins will create cap room and be able to be active in the FA market but with already no 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick they are behind the 8 ball this offseason and this is a team that can not afford to have a bad offseason.

Its a little late now but Vinny Cerrato should be fired and real personnel man hired to help Gibbs...Its a real shame the redskins operate like they do.

You go back far enough to try and prove your point, but its moot.

The last 3 years we have been very stable with our coaches.

But I guess its like political polling. If you manuever the facts around long enough, you can get it to say what you want.

Last 3 years, 1 coach, 1 d coordinator, 2 off coordinators. Lets not dig back into the 50's just to make your point

I didn't "dig back"....only over Snyder's watch. I NEVER dug up team owners Cooke or Marshall. Even under Gibbs, the offense changed (2 times), 3 QB changes, and there was a ton of player movement. STABILITY is what we need. Stability in Management, Philosophy, personell, etc. *WHICH IS MY POINT.* How many starting QB's have the Skins had over Snyder's reign? 9? 10? Over the last 7 yrs? How many good teams "change" as often as the Skins? That is more concerning than "The cap" to me. If you can prove otherwise, knock yourself silly! People get blinded by the cap and money, but don't see that the Skins can't keep starting over......nearly every year in hopes to win the Super Bowl. Even year 2 under Gibbs was a good 1. Let's give this same system a try this year. All i'm saying! I can care less about "the cap!"

The thing with Smoot is he wanted to be paid "MORE" than Springs. You know our #1 CB? Not thaaat much was Smoot worth. Smoot was a good corner for us but don't think he was a "Shut-down" caliber here. He was not. Todd Pinkston went over 100 yrds while Smoot was covering him in '04. Todd freaking Pinkston! Now Pierce was a 50/50 gamble that I had no problem with. Why? Pierce wanted more money than LB Washington, and to be paid comparable to Lavar. What? After only *ONE* good season? In NY Pierce is the man and the highest paid LB. He got both there, he couldn't here. So needless to say.....peace to pierce. Clark for Archuletta was an obvious mistake.

And the other thing is you can take 5 million and amke 50, right? So having said that probably wouldn't have made much diffrence anyway! I don't remeber Smoot being a shut down CB...not someone who just took that side of the field away. And maybe it was because he couldn't take 5 and turn it! So Smoot, nope, not good enough....to much green out there man....The Front office is stuck on stupid, hey don't be stuck on stupid. Hell, there was CB up at Howard, who had a great year and I think he's still playing...Indy yeah that's right. Sometime you got to look low to get high! Buck up now Buck up!

Archived