Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL 2007 Draft.. Let's talk about it....

RWJ

Here's what I might think about doing with our DF. Just thoughts everyone:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/demarcus_tyler.html

In the 1st round trade down and grab a middle clogging DT like Tyler and nab a 2nd round pick.

DeMarcus Tyler DT 6'2 305 North Carolina St.

By: Robert Davis

DeMarcus Tyler DT 6'2 305 North Carolina St. “Tank” moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore and came through with 33 tackles, with six of them behind the line of scrimmage. Last year as a junior, he came through with 41 tackles, 4.5 for loss and two sacks, playing on the same line with Mario Williams, John McCargo, and Manny Lawson, all 1st round draft picks. Drawing more attention as a senior, he still managed to post impressive stats. Tyler had 49 tackles, 8.5 for loss, and three sacks on the year.

Tyler gets his nickname because he is built like one. His height is only average, but he has a very strong build, and is a load to stop once he gets moving. He shows good quickness off the snap, and the ability to change directions quickly. Tyler also shows the strength to hold his ground at the point of attack and get off the block to make the tackle.

Tyler isn’t much of a playmaker. He will stop the run, and can get penetration, but he is not going to get to the quarterback very often. He also needs to work on staying low to the ground as the game goes on, and not rely on his power to make plays.

Tyler has crept up draft boards as the season has gone on, and is now arguably the top senior defensive tackle in the draft. His lack of explosion will probably keep him from contending with the talented underclassmen at his position for the top DT overall spot, but he is a very good defensive tackle and could crack the first round in April.

In the 2nd round grab a steal of a deal and get the most uncovted DE in the draft:

Defensive End | Senior | Nebraska Adam Carriker

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 295 | 40-Time: 4.85

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/adamcarriker.html

Has outstanding size and a big frame...Has tremendous strength and is extremely powerful...Holds his ground and is exceptional against the run...Has a motor that never stops...Solid tackler...Instinctive and pursues well...Is technically sound and uses his hands well...Is versatile and could play a number of different roles and positions...Very productive...Tough guy and a hard worker with great intangibles.

Career Statistics

Year GP TKL TFL SACK

2002 DNP - - -

2003 9 3 1.0 1.0

2004 10 36 7.0 3.0

2005 12 43 17.0 9.5

2006 14 52 16.0 7.0

Totals 45 134 41.0 20.5

I think that we should trade our pick for more bodies. We can get a good D-lineman in the mid to late first round and probably get a second with a trade down and get another good defensive player there is nothing wrong with a two for one deal.

All that getting Briggs talk all of a sudden is just wishful thinking the Bears are a defensive minded team so they are defenitely not going to let one of their best defensive players go. It seems as everytime someone plays a good game or is mentioned as declaring to the draft who is supposed to be decent someone on here is ready to scoop him up we can only have so many players on our team. Save some players for the other teams will ya?

We can do better than that though...... we can trade back to about the 13- 15 mark... pick up Amobi Okoye DT..... and then w/ the second we can pick up the man that will slip to the 2nd round.... Victor Abmiamiri. This guy has put up some respectable numbers and is only slightly smaller (maybe 5 -10 lbs) smaller than Jamaal Anderson, runs a faster 40 time.... and has put up more consistent sack #s. With the emergence of some other more popular DEs he should slip all the way to an early 2nd, which should allow for an incredible draft.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we traded down. I do not have my heart set on any one particular guy. I would be annoyed if they drafted an offensive player I suppose... We really do need help on defense. Someone else said it though, this team really needs to get younger. It would be the right thing to do, trading down, but I think Gibbs wants to win the big show before he throws in the towel. Next year may be his final hurrah

We can do better than that though...... we can trade back to about the 13- 15 mark... pick up Amobi Okoye DT..... and then w/ the second we can pick up the man that will slip to the 2nd round.... Victor Abmiamiri. This guy has put up some respectable numbers and is only slightly smaller (maybe 5 -10 lbs) smaller than Jamaal Anderson, runs a faster 40 time.... and has put up more consistent sack #s. With the emergence of some other more popular DEs he should slip all the way to an early 2nd, which should allow for an incredible draft.

Abiamiri is about 10-15 lbs less than Anderson and about 2 inches shorter. However, from what I've read Anderson runs about a 4.6, Abiamiri runs a 4.75. Anderson also had 13.5 sacks this year alone; Abiamiri has had 11 in his last 3 years. Anderson had 19.5 tackles for loss this year; Abiamiri has had 25 in 3 years. I think Abiamiri will be a servicable DE in the NFL, but I think Anderson has a much bigger shot at being a standout and a big playmaker. I'd really rather get the guy who is bigger, has more talent, is faster, and has made tons of big plays with a high 1st round pick as opposed to taking a chance on a good but not great DE in the 2nd round.

:2cents:

The best DT will be on the board when we draft. Alan Branch. He's a beast.

Watch the USC/Michigan game and you will see that he had to be double teamed to be even simi controlled.

You build your D-line from the inside/out. We can't stop the run up the gut. If we draft Branch and put him next to Griffin, you will see a remarkable improvement by the DE's too. That's the best way to go.

I really dont care who we draft, the last player I was excited about was Sean Taylor and we got him. I'm not excited about anybody in the draft right now because since then I've been let down.

You can replace Demarcus Tyler's name with anyone of our current DTs "(INSERT NAME HERE) isn’t much of a playmaker. He will stop the run, and can get penetration, but he is not going to get to the quarterback very often"

Cant wait til we draft him...:doh:

I'll be there for the Draft Day party just cuz I love the Redskins...

I'm a big fan of trading down also - we could do worse than tyler and carriker imo, patrick willis also intrigues me. for those of you who don't want to trade down, what if branch and anderson are not available at 6 (I could see both CLE and TB going with defensive picks and they would surely take the best available defensive players, i.e. branch and anderson imo) - would you still want adams?

so to my above point, if branch and anderson are gone at the 6 pick, does adams constitute a big enough splash? (of course we're still pre-combine, so anything could happen)

I dunno, If theres no value whay trade it? This draft is deep as heck, teams may not trade up, because of the vast amounts of talent (therefore they dont have to lock on to several players).

-Grant

Here's what I might think about doing with our DF. Just thoughts everyone:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/demarcus_tyler.html

In the 1st round trade down and grab a middle clogging DT like Tyler and nab a 2nd round pick.

In the 2nd round grab a steal of a deal and get the most uncovted DE in the draft:

Defensive End | Senior | Nebraska Adam Carriker

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 295 | 40-Time: 4.85

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/adamcarriker.html

Has outstanding size and a big frame...Has tremendous strength and is extremely powerful...Holds his ground and is exceptional against the run...Has a motor that never stops...Solid tackler...Instinctive and pursues well...Is technically sound and uses his hands well...Is versatile and could play a number of different roles and positions...Very productive...Tough guy and a hard worker with great intangibles.

Career Statistics

Year GP TKL TFL SACK

2002 DNP - - -

2003 9 3 1.0 1.0

2004 10 36 7.0 3.0

2005 12 43 17.0 9.5

2006 14 52 16.0 7.0

Totals 45 134 41.0 20.5

Looks to be more of a 3-4 guy, and not a pass rusher. Might be better in a different system than ours. Not a good fit for us I dont think. I dont mind the idea of getting 2 guys that start over Phillip and Joe though for that #6 pick.

I do like Anderson alot though if we keep it.

I dunno, If theres no value whay trade it? This draft is deep as heck, teams may not trade up, because of the vast amounts of talent (therefore they dont have to lock on to several players).

-Grant

At this point, I'm not sure adams is worth the 6 pick, however, teams may trade up as there may be value in offensive players still available, perhaps cj or peterson.

here's the scenario I'm hoping for, assuming branch and anderson are gone at the 6 pick (if either one is still available it might be tempting to not trade down): GB trades up to 6 spot to get peterson since a. green is old, oft-injured, and a FA this year. whether favre is the QB next year or rodgers, I think a plausible case can be made for GB selecting the #1 RB in the 2007 draft.

for the trade with GB, Skins could net as much as a 2, 3, and 4th round pick. GB would likely want to defer the 3rd round pick to 2008, so the Skins would still get the 16th pick, as well as a mid 2nd round draft pick, and a mid 4th round draft pick. the 1st and 2nd round draft picks could be used for defensive help, preferably on the line. the 4th rounder could be used for the BPA or maybe for an OT.

Archived