Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1932 Boston Braves (Redskins)

HapHaszard

I have been reading a book called Hail Redskins by Richard Whittingham, and it has a chart about the first team of the Boston Braves, which later became the Redskins, I thought this chart was very interesting.

1932 Boston Braves

POS....Name.........................HGT................WGT

E........Paul Collins.................6'-1"................195

E........George Kenneally.........6'....................190

T........Turk Edwards..............6'2".................230

T........Jim MacMurdo.............6'-1"................205

G........Joe Kresky..................6'...................210

G........George Hurley.............6'....................200

C........Mickey Erickson...........6'2".................210

B........"Honolulu" Hughes.........5'-10" ............195

HB......Cliff Battles.................6'-1"................190

HB......Erny Pinckert...............6'...................200

FB......Jim Musick...................5'-11"..............205

It amazed me that the heaviest guy on the team only weighed 230. Today that would be an barely the weight of a high school JV team.

heh, I have that book, very informative on the whole. It made me realize why I hate the Giants more, 2nd only to the Cowboys.

I haven't read the book, but I am going to have to put that on my Summer reading list. What made you hate the Giants so much after reading the book?

Cliff Battles from that first team was a bad ass.

So was Turk Edwards and Jim Musick.

I have that book two. Interesting read and everyone should get it and read the thing. Lots of stuff the average fan doesn't know about the team's history.

Back then there was no emphasis on strength training and conditioning so no one was really big. Our society as a whole was not big back then though. In fact most players back then had a regular job in the offseason. About 10 years ago I spoke to a guy from my hometown who played for the Lions around 1938-1939. He told me they were paid about $100 a game and they had to buy their own equipment like shoulder pads and shoes. If I remember right I believe that Red Grange was an ice salesman in Chicago during the offseason.

I started working on a Redskins history website that gives more detail and stats from our past teams. Haven't gotten too far but I'm going to have to work on it on some night that I have time.

heh, I have that book, very informative on the whole. It made me realize why I hate the Giants more, 2nd only to the Cowboys.

Why do you hate the Gints more than the Cowsucks? Just curious...

You want to know who / what I really, really hate? Cowboy fans...that have never stepped foot in Texas...

You want to know who / what I really, really hate? Cowboy fans...that have never stepped foot in Texas...

read my post, I hate them 2nd only to the Cowboys.

While Philly is an old team, they are not as old as the Redskins. The Giants are older than both and can almost rival the Bears and Cardinals (yes, look it up, the Cardinals). I read in the book our first championship game came very early into our franchise (either first or second year), and it was lost to the Giants. When they made divisions, I saw a lot of title games were between the Redskins and Giants.

The Redskins Cowboys rivalry is better known and more heated, and as I said, I still hate the Cowboys more, but the Redskins Giants rivalry is far older. On the other hand, Philly has not really harmed us that much overall. They have their one championship in the 50s I believe, but the Redskins were in a huge slump in the 50s.

And yes, I do hate Cowboys fans who have never set foot in Texas or who did not grow up there. A neighbor likes the Cowboys cause of her husband and cause Troy Aikman went to her alma mater.

So was Turk Edwards and Jim Musick.

I have that book two. Interesting read and everyone should get it and read the thing. Lots of stuff the average fan doesn't know about the team's history.

around 1938-1939. He told me they were paid about $100 a game and they had to buy their own equipment like shoulder pads and shoes. If I remember right I believe that Red Grange was an ice salesman in Chicago during the offseason.

I started working on a Redskins history website that gives more detail and stats from our past teams. Haven't gotten too far but I'm going to have to work on it on some night that I have time.

According to this book Cliff Battles was the highest paid player on the Redskns in 1936 making $210 per game.

When you finish your website be sure and post it here in Extremeskins, I'm sure a lot of people would love to see it.

1932 Boston Braves

POS....Name.........................HGT................WGT

E........Paul Collins.................6'-1"................195

E........George Kenneally.........6'....................190

T........Turk Edwards..............6'2".................230

T........Jim MacMurdo.............6'-1"................205

G........Joe Kresky..................6'...................210

G........George Hurley.............6'....................200

C........Mickey Erickson...........6'2".................210

B........"Honolulu" Hughes.........5'-10" ............195

HB......Cliff Battles.................6'-1"................190

HB......Erny Pinckert...............6'...................200

FB......Jim Musick...................5'-11"..............205

TRADE BATTLES, Pinckert is just as good a back and he doesn't cost the team that much. TRADE BATTLES for draft picks!!!

TRADE BATTLES, Pinckert is just as good a back and he doesn't cost the team that much. TRADE BATTLES for draft picks!!!

Are you kidding? Battles is our franchise. No way. I realize he is making way too much money, but the hit on the cap would be over $500 bucks if we trade him.

Are you kidding? Battles is our franchise. No way. I realize he is making way too much money, but the hit on the cap would be over $500 bucks if we trade him.

I'm sorry but Turk Edwards should be forced to restructure his contract, I mean, he makes the Pro Bowl once and it's like he never trains anymore...

Thats MOST of them around here. Losers that don't know anything about football but talk the loudest.

MOVE TO TEXAS. We DON'T want YOU in DC.

I hope everyone on the Cowboys gets fired/cut.

According to this book Cliff Battles was the highest paid player on the Redskns in 1936 making $210 per game.

When you finish your website be sure and post it here in Extremeskins, I'm sure a lot of people would love to see it.

Hey, I'll post it. It's nothing extensive just a little informative with a few stats. Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/dollins70/Retroskins.html

we can'ts trade CB hes a straight balla and has a fat az crib. I saw it in the Saturday Evening Post that he haz a real electric frefridgerator. And also a 1933 Model T that has heating!!! DAAAAAMN!!!

yeah and the T model has a manual spark arrestor right on the steering wheel, you don't have to reach down and maybe wreck hunting for it. :laugh:

I hear Turk Edwards is willing to restructure his contract again, which will convert $219 to guaranteed money. That ought to help us in re-signing George Hurley. I'm not sure that Coach Wray is the right guy for making personnel decisions; it's like George Preston Marshall signs the checks for whoever he wants. The cap's only going up by like 75 cents next year. They ought to be making plenty of money considering the 7 cent beers at Braves Field!

Tedwardsbos.jpg

Turk Edwards, a real "Core Brave"

I have that book too. My brother gave me a scrapbook of newspaper clippings from the 1942 season and in reading over them, I did a webpage comparing some of the things the media said, and others, from then to "present" (at the time, a few years ago)... they talked about teams having to get transport on trains, etc. THat site is here if you are interested.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/doc.sandy/red1942.htm

Great book....I've had it for a while now.

A lot of people have also forgotten the Redskins/Bears rivalry. Of course, my brother and best friend being Bears' fans, the battle rages on for us!

yup, that rivalry kinda folded as more teams came around closer in proximity. I think our two championship games were won against the Bears if I'm not mistaken, at least one was. Of course one of those losses is that infamous 73-0...:doh:.

I have that book too. My brother gave me a scrapbook of newspaper clippings from the 1942 season and in reading over them, I did a webpage comparing some of the things the media said, and others, from then to "present" (at the time, a few years ago)... they talked about teams having to get transport on trains, etc. THat site is here if you are interested.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/doc.sandy/red1942.htm

Great Job on your site Docsandy, excellent work. I'm glad you posted it here.

Archived