Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you a fan?

SkinsNoles21

With all the negativity floating around...which is warranted after a 5-11 season, I decided to look up the definition of "fan."

Alot of you may say you are, but are you really?

Our season didnt go exactly the way we wanted and we havent exactly been a winning franchise over the last decade or so, but in the end, we have only one job.

From Wikipedia---Fan (person), someone who has an intense liking of a sporting. club, person, group of persons, work of art, idea, or trend. Short for 'fanatic'.

Our job is not to try and come up with intense deep rooted problems within the franchise or try to uncover the hidden mystery as to why this franchise doesnt win...

Im not saying dont try to think of new ways for this team to improve, but fans should focus on the positive and fixing the weak areas...not dwelling on PAINFULLY OBVIOUS situations that the team is going to try and fix in the offseason.

Our job is simple, root for the team, talk positively about them, look forward to improving....and hope to God (or whoever you wish to hope too) that we start to win.

I wont give you a reason as to why you should be positive (Although solidfying the kicker and quarterback position should not be overlooked, they are very important and we never have dependable players at that spot--until now,) all I will say is this....

Be a fan; do YOUR job successfully, and hope (because thats all you really can do, aside from crying and whining) that you favorite team, the Washington Redskins, can get this thinged turned around.

soo....

are you a fan?:logo:

ehhh...I tried...

Brunell is better than Campbell and we should get Terrell Owens!!!

(maybe thatll stir the pot a little)

:laugh:

I don't really agree with your assessment...I think anyone who's a "fanatic" about something tends to obsess over it, become anal-renentive about it, over-analyze it to death...they don't see it merely as entertainment, they feel a personal bond and connection. What makes them fanatical is that even at their lowest, they keep coming back for more.

I DO, however, agree with your assessment that solidifying the QB and placekicker positions are HUGE. Both were accomplished this season. :applause:

Well, if you aren't fan, we wouldn't care that we went 5-11 and go on with our lives. But, I sit here pissed and trying to think of ways of being better.

true...Thinking of ways for the team to get better is warranted...

starting threads about how this team is in complete disaray and is awful, always will be awful and will never get better...

is not the way to go.

:laugh:

I don't really agree with your assessment...I think anyone who's a "fanatic" about something tends to obsess over it, become anal-renentive about it, over-analyze it to death...they don't see it merely as entertainment, they feel a personal bond and connection. What makes them fanatical is that even at their lowest, they keep coming back for more.

I DO, however, agree with your assessment that solidifying the QB and placekicker positions are HUGE. Both were accomplished this season. :applause:

I feel all of that, and fan is short for 'fanatic'.

But being a fanatic means talking about the good things, the positives, like our young qb and kicker...

not starting threads discussing the fact that this team is a losing franchise and cant do anything right.

I feel all of that, and fan is short for 'fanatic'.

But being a fanatic means talking about the good things, the positives, like our young qb and kicker...

not starting threads discussing the fact that this team is a losing franchise and cant do anything right.

It means both to me...although I tend to deal with the latter much better when the arguments used have at least SOME foundation in logic lol...

Our job is not to try and come up with intense deep rooted problems within the franchise or try to uncover the hidden mystery as to why this franchise doesnt win...

Our job is simple, root for the team, talk positively about them, look forward to improving....and hope to God (or whoever you wish to hope too) that we start to win."[/Quote]

This is the biggest pile of crap I've read on a fan forum ever. When a team is crappy like the Skins were this year, fans have the utmost right to be unhappy, po'd, whatever you want to call it. Being a fan means you care, period.

People respond to things in different ways...some are Homer J. Simpsons, others are Ned Flanders, some Moe Sislacks, etc...and in betweens. Trying to make every one like a Flanders is absolutely disgusting. Get a life Flanders!

My son and I went to the last game, cheered for the team, and stayed until the end. My MasterCard moment was:

"Dad, thanks for taking me. It was fun. It doesn't matter if we win or lose - I have fun coming here with you. It's better if we win though" from my 9 yo son...

Skins fans to the end...

My son and I went to the last game, cheered for the team, and stayed until the end. My MasterCard moment was:

"Dad, thanks for taking me. It was fun. It doesn't matter if we win or lose - I have fun coming here with you. It's better if we win though" from my 9 yo son...

Skins fans to the end...

Excellent!

You sound like a great dad, and you have a great kid.

:applause:

This is the biggest pile of crap I've read on a fan forum ever. When a team is crappy like the Skins were this year, fans have the utmost right to be unhappy, po'd, whatever you want to call it. Being a fan means you care, period.

People respond to things in different ways...some are Homer J. Simpsons, others are Ned Flanders, some Moe Sislacks, etc...and in betweens. Trying to make every one like a Flanders is absolutely disgusting. Get a life Flanders!

Other than the immediate emotion after a game, ranting negatively about your team is not being a fan.

When you talk to someone who doesn't know you, and you a talk about the Skins negatively, they're not gonna think you hate the Skins.

Confusing disappointment with hate and negativity is a problem around here.

Never showing any optimism is personal failure.

Definitely! I think when you love a team as most of us here do and those of us that can remember the winning ways of the Skins, you tend to analyze and come up w/possibilities on how to make them a better team. I see nothing wrong w/speculation and brainstorming. Even if I don't agree w/what the person is saying...I believe its their right to say it.

You can't help but point out the negatives sometimes. I usually only do that in the presence of other Redskins fans. I try not to "air our dirty laundry" around other teams' fans so to speak. So I don't mind seeing it here. But I don't like other teams' fans doing it.

So yep...I'm a fan.:D

Other than the immediate emotion after a game, ranting negatively about your team is not being a fan.

When you talk to someone who doesn't know you, and you a talk about the Skins negatively, they're not gonna think you hate the Skins.

Confusing disappointment with hate and negativity is a problem around here.

Never showing any optimism is personal failure.

50 percent of the time, I probably do hate the Skins.

Considering that most people I know spend 60 percent of the time hating their spouse, I think I'm doing pretty well.

Being a Skins fan is like being trapped in a loveless marriage. I can't get out of it, and mostly it makes me miserable.

But isn't that what sports are all about?

Loving sports = hating sports.

A fan can be irrate and feel spurned. Being a fan is sometimes like being in love. Sometimes everything is perfect and all the little flaws are ignored, but sometimes every little flaw is magnified, jealousy steals in, anger seeps in. Some Redskin fans feel betrayed this year. They expected a honeymoon in Monte Carlo and wound up being taken to a trailer park in New Jersey right in sight of a tire fire. By the time, the season rolls around most of these guys will have forgiven the slights and be back in love with the team.

I think the point you are making about critical analysis versus ****ing is good. I just wouldn't question their fandom. You don't get this mad unless you care. I do wish they would temper themselves though. They're making a scene and the neighbors can hear. :)

It really makes me angry when I see people who compare knocking the redskins to being a patriotic citizen who questions the current administration

You were born an American (at least most of us). Most of us made a choice to be a redskins fan (some too early to remember). It is not your patriotic Redskins duty to criticize the current coaching staff, you made a choice to be a redskins fan

I love how people have already jumped on the Suisham band wagon. Let's not forget this guy was cut from other teams (including the Cowboys) for a reason. So, I think it's a little premature to say that our kicking woes are solved. However, I am elated to see that our million dollar venture with John Hall is over!

I'm trully a fan, but it's hard to over look the fact that ever since our new ownership has taken over, almost a decade ago, the Skins have been one of the worst franchises, both on an off the field, in the NFL!

GOOD NIGHT NOW!

This is a silly post.

You even included the definition of fan (which is indeed an abbreviated form of 'fanatic'). But there is nothing in the denotation or any connotation of the word that implies complete and unending optimism or positive feelings toward the object of the fanaticism.

Being positive all the time and never being critical is not the definition of "fan." Rather, it is the definition of "HOMER".

I ain't a homer. I am a fan of the franchise. And it is because I love the franchise so much that I am so disgusted with the frauds who are currently running it.

Be a homer all you want. But know this: you being a homer is the reason why this team continues to be in disarray. Snyder is laughing all the way to bank as homers eat up the garbage they throw out there and talk Super Bowl every off-season. You can be absolutely certain that if there were more fans of the franchise who wouldn't eat their plate of poo with a smile, Danny would be afraid of losing money and get the message real quick and do what is necessary to rebuild a championship franchise from the ground up. And that is what real fans want: long term success even if it requires short term despair.

Archived