Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We pick #6 (I think it's official)

Dirk Diggler

Since I've seen some serious pants tents for Alan Branch, here is a scouting report that was done by pfw PRIOR to the 2006 season.

DT Alan Branch #80 (Junior)

(6-5,330 5.2E)

Named Gatorade Player of Year in New Mexico and also stood out on the hardwood. Played in all 11 games as a true freshman in 2004, seeing action at both defensive tackle and end and recording 5 tackles, 2 for loss and 2 sacks. Started the final 10 of 12 games in '05 and notched 31-10-5 with one forced fumble and fumble recovery. Lined up at defensive tackle, nose tackle and defensive end. Big, strong, massive two-gapper who can stack the point and play off blocks. Shows the ability to collapse the pocket and disrupt the backfield. Versatile and has lined up everywhere on the line. Nice agility for an interior lineman and can be a key cog for a 3-4 front.

*Accoring to the team website, he has 23 tackles (5 for loss) and 2 sacks so far this season (2006).

With the sixth pick, I'd go draft Woodley out of Michigan. MLB, you can usually get one out of the lower rounds *but we don't have any lower round picks :doh: * . So a suggestion as some would say trade down to get some more picks.

Classic DE/OLB 'tweener who should be an ideal fit in the 3-4 defense. not projected to go first round any more

What would we get in compensation for a 6th round pick if we traded down?

Like a later 1st and a high 2nd? Or a late 1st, late 2nd, high 3rd?

Whats acceptable here

Depends. When we picked Sean Taylor Cleveland was offering a second rounder to swap and they were only two spots below us.

Whose there and how far we would have to drop would play into the compensation.

I would love to get the #6 pick but for the longer term success of this franchise I believe we need to trade down to get more than just a first rounder. I don't know how realistic this approach is in that it runs counter to the way our Front Office has behaved in recent years.

He's the only one so far that would make me want to stay and take him if he's there for us and I've been a trade down fan for many years now.

I see Adams and I wonder if the value wouldn't be just as good by drafting Woodley a little later. If I thought Pit**** was anywhere close to Branch I'd seriously be gung-ho for dropping down and adding the picks.

Its great to get the picks but you have to wonder if you are trading off greatness by doing it.

WTF is with the hate of Rogers? Damn, he doesn't get burned as Jimoh and/or Wright, but yet, we think he is one of the worst cb.

Some people stopped watching the Redskins midway through the season. Can't really blame them, but they missed out on Rogers great play in the 2nd half.

Some people stopped watching the Redskins midway through the season. Can't really blame them' date=' but they missed out on Rogers great play in the 2nd half.[/quote']2nd half of the season??? or 2nd half of the game? I didn't know they ever passed in the 2nd half.

Also, for all the people not willing to pass up on Alan Branch, DTs are one of the most bust-ridden positions in the draft. John Henderson wasn't even the first DT taken in his draft. A bust by the name of Ryan Sims was the first DT taken that year. Same goes for Gerard Warren, DeWayne Robertson, and Travis Johnson for their respective draft classes.

I'd sooner our front office do some serious scouting this offseason and find some quality lineman in the later rounds. This requires trading down, and yes, it may be a difficult task, but there are always teams looking to move up. We've seen it in every recent draft.

The problem with the current Redskins organization is that we're too reliant on the superstar player. When Shawn Springs gets hurt, we can't stop the pass. When Marcus Washington gets hurt, we can't stop the run. When Cornelius Griffin gets hurt, we can't stop the run or pass. It's time to forget about that one "special" talent, and go after a group of "good to great" talents. We're building a team and not one particular unit on defense or offense. In 2004, our defense was special because we had so many "good" players surrounding our supposed superstars.

The problem with the current Redskins organization is that we're too reliant on the superstar player. When Shawn Springs gets hurt' date=' we can't stop the pass. When Marcus Washington gets hurt, we can't stop the run. When Cornelius Griffin gets hurt, we can't stop the run or pass. It's time to forget about that one "special" talent, and go after a group of "good to great" talents. We're building a team and not one particular unit on defense or offense. In 2004, our defense was special because we had so many "good" players surrounding our supposed superstars.[/quote']

That philosophy sounds nice and might work for free agency, but not for the draft. You definitely don't avoid someone on the basis of star potential... you take whoever you figure is the better player.

Am i the only person that thinks we need a MLB? A DT is nice, but we have abour 5.
My friend, defense is built up front first! A great MLB can only do so much when offensive lineman getr there hands on him. The big fellas up front keep the lineman off the LB's. Lemar Marshall is medicore at best, GW ego has allowed our whole defense except for a few positions to have medicore talent.

Also' date=' for all the people not willing to pass up on Alan Branch, DTs are one of the most bust-ridden positions in the draft.[/quote']

Good point. Think of all the really highly drafted DTs that did not live up to their potential. Steve Emtman, Dan Wilkinson and Darrell Russell are a few to go along with the examples you provided.

Good point. Think of all the really highly drafted DTs that did not live up to their potential. Steve Emtman, Dan Wilkinson and Darrell Russell are a few to go along with the examples you provided.

so, that could be said for alot more WR too. Damn, How many LB are busts? How many WR, rb, S, cb are busts?

By my count, our opponents have won 131 games. Arizona's opponents have won 121 games. They will pick #5.

Regardless, I think we still have a shot at the best defensive player available - whoever that may be. There are some banner offensive players in the pool and the teams ahead of us seem to have greater needs on that side of the ball. Let's hope players like Adrian Peterson, Cal Johnson, and JaMarcus Russell come out. :)

Unless the NFL have some other weird rules, the redskins get the 5th pick by reason of a harder schedule. The cardinal's opponents' combined record is 128-128 and the redskins' opponents' combined record is 131-125. The redskins had the harder schedule so they get the 5th pick.

Unless the NFL have some other weird rules, the redskins get the 5th pick by reason of a harder schedule. The cardinal's opponents' combined record is 128-128 and the redskins' opponents' combined record is 131-125. The redskins had the harder schedule so they get the 5th pick.

Whoever has the easiest schedule gets the higher pick.

Archived