BraveWarrior

Who's worse  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who's worse

• Ron Lynn 1996
    • George Edawards 2003
    • Greg Williams 2006
    • Other

Not only did the Giants win, which by itself is bad enough, but they did it because of Tiki Barber.

I was hoping for us to end the Giants' playoff hopes, and looking for Tiki to play very average, because that is what he is. I live in NJ, so maybe I hear it more than some of you, but they are actually talking about this guy like he deserves to be inducted into the Hall Of Fame. He was an average back who fumbled a lot for several seasons, but put it together and had a terrific career over the last 3 seasons. But that means he averages out to be, well, average. Certainly not a HOF candidate.

Of course, his play tonight was helped along by a terrible performance on the part of the Skins' defense, which has seemingly forgotten the fundamentals of tackling.

Also, Collinsworth said something at the end like "Well, Tiki Barber is going to the playoffs, but how long his team stays in it remains to be seen." I predict they will last exactly 60 minutes in the playoffs this year.

PS - did anyone else notice that announcers can never just say Barber? They always have to say his full name. They talked about him from the beginning of NFL Network's ridiculously long 3 hr pregame to the very end of the game, and almost every time they said his name it was first and last name. I don't know why that bothers me so much really. It just does.

Your personal Tikki hate doesn't mean jack. Numbers are what people are going to look at when deciding "should he be considered". Tikki is in some pretty impressive company in that department. He's also without a doubt the ONLY reason that team has been decent the last three years. So besides just putting up numbers, he's also carried that offense on his back and dragged them into respectability, sometimes kicking and screaming like tonight.

Tiki an average back? 3rd player in all time list with at least 10000 rushing yards and 5000 receiving yards. Second on all time list of five 200 yard games. 4th player in NFL who had four 2000 yards per scrimmage years. 10th in all time yards from scrimmage. 17th in rushing yards. If you think that is an average back well I don't know what to say about your football knowledge.

Tiki an average back? 3rd player in all time list with at least 10000 rushing yards and 5000 receiving yards. Second on all time list of five 200 yard games. 4th player in NFL who had four 2000 yards per scrimmage years. 10th in all time yards from scrimmage. 17th in rushing yards. If you think that is an average back well I don't know what to say about your football knowledge.

My football knowledge is fine.

But how do you evaluate a player's career by conveniently forgetting the seasons when he wasn't very good?

My football knowledge is fine.

But how do you evaluate a player's career by conveniently forgetting the seasons when he wasn't very good?

You mean the first 3 years when he was a third down back and not a starter? Do you mean his fumbling problem he corrected 5 years ago? In 6 of the 7 years he was a starter he rushed for over 1000 yards. In the year he missed 1000 yards he started only 9 games. He has averaged 4.7 yards a carry in his career. Most importantly he has just about all of the Giants rushing records and he also has the Giant's receptions record. Again I have to question your football knowledge if you think he is an average back.

You mean the first 3 years when he was a third down back and not a starter? Do you mean his fumbling problem he corrected 5 years ago? In 6 of the 7 years he was a starter he rushed for over 1000 yards. In the year he missed 1000 yards he started only 9 games. He has averaged 4.7 yards a carry in his career. Most importantly he has just about all of the Giants rushing records and he also has the Giant's receptions record. Again I have to question your football knowledge if you think he is an average back.

Well, I'm not going to be bothered to prove my football knowledge to you. I come on here to bash a guy from a division rival who has absolutely killed the Redskins the last few years and get questioned by someone who has watched a hell of a lot less football in his life than me? I don't need that. You're probably too young to remember a time when all the players didn't act like buddies in a country club, hugging each other before, after, and even during games. You want to kiss Tiki's alien shaped head, be my guest. But he's the enemy to me. If he is so great, why was he a third down back the first 3 seasons? Why was he such a fumbler that New Yorkers were hoping he'd get traded, or at least benched? Personally, I think the HoF should be more difficult to enter. Kind of like baseball, which only rewards those with the absolute best career-long stats and play. Under the current system, Tiki may be just good enough to get some serious consideration, but it doesn't make it right. Next, they'll start talking about Phil Simms for the HoF again... :doh:

Well, I'm not going to be bothered to prove my football knowledge to you. I come on here to bash a guy from a division rival who has absolutely killed the Redskins the last few years and get questioned by someone who has watched a hell of a lot less football in his life than me? I don't need that. You're probably too young to remember a time when all the players didn't act like buddies in a country club, hugging each other before, after, and even during games. You want to kiss Tiki's alien shaped head, be my guest. But he's the enemy to me. If he is so great, why was he a third down back the first 3 seasons? Why was he such a fumbler that New Yorkers were hoping he'd get traded, or at least benched? Personally, I think the HoF should be more difficult to enter. Kind of like baseball, which only rewards those with the absolute best career-long stats and play. Under the current system, Tiki may be just good enough to get some serious consideration, but it doesn't make it right. Next, they'll start talking about Phil Simms for the HoF again... :doh:

I may have watched a hell of a lot less football than you but I am still smart enough not to to make the idiotic statement Tiki is an average running back...:doh:

Almost forgot, Tiki also has the NFL record for yards from scrimmage over a 7 year period. Average back... :doh:

I may have watched a hell of a lot less football than you but I am still smart enough not to to make the idiotic statement Tiki is an average running back...:doh:

I'll ask you to refrain from using personal attacks like calling someone's opinion "idiotic." If you don't agree, that's fine. But why not discuss, rather than insult? It just makes you look bad. You could start by responding to my questions about the 1st half of Tiki's illustrious career...

I'll ask you to refrain from using personal attacks like calling someone's opinion "idiotic." If you don't agree, that's fine. But why not discuss, rather than insult? It just makes you look bad. You could start by responding to my questions about the 1st half of Tiki's illustrious career...

I am by no means insulting you personally I just find your premise that Tiki is an average back idiotic. If you ask any fair minded football fan to be honest I don't think any one would say Tiki was an average back. As to answering your questions - Tiki was drafted to be a third down back. He was 5-10 and 180 lb and the coaching staff did not think he could be an everydown back. So for the first three years he was a third down back and returner. He was given a chance in his fourth year and he did well from then on, 1000, 900 (when he only started 9 games), 1400, 1200, 1500, 1800, 1600 rushing yards. Yes he was a fumbler in the early part of his career but does that erase what he did the last 5 years when he was a top tier back who got rid of the fumbling? I am a Tiki fan because he seems to be a good guy, he was a Redskins fan and thought Gibbs was his favorite coach. If you want to say he talks to much, tries to hog the limelight or how you hate the fact he always torches us, you can have a good point. When you say he is an average back you are just wrong.

I am by no means insulting you personally I just find your premise that Tiki is an average back idiotic. If you ask any fair minded football fan to be honest I don't think any one would say Tiki was an average back. As to answering your questions - Tiki was drafted to be a third down back. He was 5-10 and 180 lb and the coaching staff did not think he could be an everydown back. So for the first three years he was a third down back and returner. He was given a chance in his fourth year and he did well from then on, 1000, 900 (when he only started 9 games), 1400, 1200, 1500, 1800, 1600 rushing yards. Yes he was a fumbler in the early part of his career but does that erase what he did the last 5 years when he was a top tier back who got rid of the fumbling? I am a Tiki fan because he seems to be a good guy, he was a Redskins fan and thought Gibbs was his favorite coach. If you want to say he talks to much, tries to hog the limelight or how you hate the fact he always torches us, you can have a good point. When you say he is an average back you are just wrong.

Fair enough. :cheers:

But I will say that, while I agree with you that he turned out to be an above average back, I think the earlier years of his career have to be considered when deciding if he's HoF material. And looking at his career in its entirety, I don't think he is HoF caliber. He also doesn't have the post-season success many HoF nominees have had. Not that that is a pre-requisite though...

I'm probably too angry at how he killed us tonight to be objective in this discussion, and my starting the thread was more to blow off steam.

Fair enough. :cheers:

But I will say that, while I agree with you that he turned out to be an above average back, I think the earlier years of his career have to be considered when deciding if he's HoF material. And looking at his career in its entirety, I don't think he is HoF caliber. He also doesn't have the post-season success many HoF nominees have had. Not that that is a pre-requisite though...

I'm probably too angry at how he killed us tonight to be objective in this discussion, and my starting the thread was more to blow off steam.

No hard feelings. I understand how you feel about him running all over us but the good news is this was the last game it is going to happen. I agree with you 100% that he is not HOF material, he would need at least 1 or 2 more good years to get in.

Tiki turned himself from a fumble-prone 3rd down back into a top-tier, sure handed running back. He will get some Hall of Fame consideration. Though I wonder whether he had a long enough stretch of sustained excellence to get to Canton.

Three things that will help him: 1. He's been a media-friendly guy. 2. He played his entire career in New York City, media center of the universe. 3. If he's true to his word, he'll retire in his prime, ending on a spectacular note. Regardless of what happens to the Giants in the playoffs, with tonight's game he capped his career with a legendary performance.

Dude, Tiki Barber is one of the best RB's in the league. He has always been above average, his fumbling was the only reason he was not elite, he fixed that. I don't think he should be in the hall of fame, but he's good.

Besides, I happened to meet him when I gave his wife's parents (live in N. VA) a paint estimate. He talked to me for a solid 30 minutes no problem and treated me like a normal person. He's a great guy, and this could have been his last game ever.

Remember how much they talked about "Jerome Bettis" last SuperBowl? "Jerome Bettis...the bus stops here!" They will talk about "Barber" each game he is in cause it may be his last, and its a story that football fans seem to want to follow.

Archived