Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN signs deal with AFL, Washington possible in 2008

gridironmike

http://www.arenafan.com/news/?page=pressrel&article=6648

AFL and ESPN enter into long-term agreement

Tuesday December 19, 2006

NEW YORK – ESPN and the Arena Football League have entered into a five-year agreement that includes extensive multimedia rights and a minimum of 26 televised games per season, beginning in 2007. ESPN has also purchased a minority ownership stake in the AFL as part of the agreement that enhances ESPN’s football programming lineup, the most comprehensive in sports television, with year-round football on Monday nights.

ESPN will televise a minimum of 17 regular-season games and nine playoff games -- including a minimum of three Wild Card games, three Divisional Playoff games, both Conference Championships and the ArenaBowl -- on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC. ESPN will also have an exclusive window for weekly Monday night primetime games on ESPN2 -- continuing to establish Monday night as the "football night" for fans year-round.

"This is the longest and most comprehensive media partnership in AFL history," said Commissioner David Baker. "ESPN’s brand is ingrained in sports fans, who watch, read and listen to its multiple media properties. Through its equity purchase, ESPN now owns a piece of the AFL and has the ability to provide exciting football content on Monday nights for fans on a year-round basis. There is no better partner to help continue the AFL’s growth as a leading global, multimedia property than ESPN."

Similar to recent major ESPN content acquisitions, the agreement entails a broad range of rights. Fifteen ESPN platforms will benefit from this new agreement, including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN on ABC, ESPN Classic, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD; ESPN.com; Spanish-language ESPN Deportes; ESPN360 (the company's growing interactive and customizable broadband service); Mobile ESPN Publishing (the company's wireless content licensing business); ESPN Radio, ESPN The Magazine and other ESPN-branded services (i.e., iPod, video-on-demand). ESPN also gains the right to both air and syndicate Arena Football League games through ESPN International.

"We are committed to the Arena Football League and its exciting brand of football. We will help grow the league across all of our multimedia platforms. As the league grows, so will our business, and we see a bright future for us both," said John Skipper, executive vice president, content, ESPN.

ESPN’s 2007 AFL coverage will kick off on ABC with a pair of regional games – defending ArenaBowl champion Chicago Rush at Kansas City Brigade and Dallas Desperados at New York Dragons -- on Sunday, March 4 at 12:30 p.m. ET. ABC will broadcast ArenaBowl XXI live on Saturday, July 29 at 3 p.m. from New Orleans Arena as the city of New Orleans hosts its first team championship since the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

This excerpt is from an ESPN chat with Arena commissioner David Baker.

Charlie (DC): In an article, a DC expansion team was mentioned. Is it possible for this upcoming season, or will it be more likely in future seasons?

David Baker: (3:09 PM ET ) Dan Snyder, the owner of the Redskins, has purchased the rights to an AFL team in DC. We're talking to his people right now about the potential about having a team in that area in 2008. It's not done yet, but we are encouraged.

here we go. I can see it now.

A huge complex on the grounds where RFK is standing. A big stadium complex for the Skins, a big indoor arena for the Washington Warriors (where the Skins might practice indoors sometimes).

Why would they practice over there? They already have the nicest facility in the NFL over at Ashburn. What more can you ask for?

because I could see them cutting a deal for tax breaks if they move Redskins Park into the District, by the Stadium.

I've beent to the Park. Its nice, I didn't get the grand tour or anything. But I was with my Stepdad who's in a wheelchair and they treated us well. It was a nice place. Nothing I'd call amazing.

I remember the same thing about Abe and Snyder. The Comcast Center has been mentioned (and shot down) before. This has been ongoing since December of 1999. I hope it really happens.

Why is it I get the feeling that greedy little snot is going to mess this up? :doh:

Arena football is just slightly more exciting than that WNBA...

Don't be hatin' on the WNBA. I LOVE that league!

This is good news! I think Dan will need to sell the skins in order to finance the purchase of the AFL team. :silly:

From your mouth to God's ears.

Tampa has a good team"The Storm". They've won the league championship several times. I've never been to a game, so don't get too excited.

Stwasm this is for you buddy :laugh:

nav_under1.jpgnav_under2.jpg

2007TBS.jpg

CONGRATS to the new 2007 Tampa Bay Storm Cheerleaders!

4.jpg

I dunno about you, but I think these girls are eating way too many cheese burgers

Just to screw with Abe. I can see him in his evil little office rubbing his greedy little fingers together. He's my hero!!!

If he wants to screw with Abe so be it. However, if he turns his evil little gaze upon Ted, he's in trouble. Don't mess with uncle Teddy! :mad:

Tampa has a good team"The Storm". They've won the league championship several times. I've never been to a game, so don't get too excited.

Stwasm this is for you buddy :laugh:

nav_under1.jpgnav_under2.jpg

2007TBS.jpg

CONGRATS to the new 2007 Tampa Bay Storm Cheerleaders!

4.jpg

I dunno about you, but I think these girls are eating way too many cheese burgers

say WHAT? Too many cheeseburgers? Ain't nothing wrong with a healthy girl with a little back to her. :laugh: Besides, even excluding that, none of those girls are big at all. You've been brainwashed by commercials, Dean. :silly:

This is good news! I think Dan will need to sell the skins in order to finance the purchase of the AFL team. :silly:

Actually, he paid $4 million for the rights to a franchise. The AFL offerered this deal for NFL owners to control an AFL team in their market and Snyder bit. Franchises go for $16 million plus now, so he made an initial investment in December of '99, paid the balance of the $4 mil in April of 2003, and has sat on it since. The AFL reportedly has worked with Fred Drasner on the franchise, which was supposed to have hit the field in 2003 and then again in 2005 or '06.

Archived