Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here is how the offseason SHOULD go

Bhutanibeast

i know i know...all of you will ask why i am starting another offseason thread but bear with me. I was banned for the past 2 weeks and i couldnt share my opinion on another thread dealing with the offseason.

Here it goes:

1. Trade or Cut patten-whichever makes more salary sense.

2. Trade or cut Brandon lloyd-Whichever makes more salary cap sense

3. KEEP Archuleta solely because it would be a huge hit, and i think with an offseason in D.C. his coverage skills might be better.

4. Trade Betts- I think we could get great value if we traded him to the jets, or texans, or some other team that needs him. Though i want this to happen, i dont see it happening because we just signed him to a nice contract. Although, he would provide major draft help.

5. Cut Renaldo Wynn- sorry, but the big fellow has to go.

6. Sign Nate Clements, Asante Samuel or Rod Hood. Springs, One of those guys and Rogers would be a pretty decent set of CB's.

7. Sign Dwight Freeney or Justin Smith- one of these guys with the resurgent andre carter could provide a good pass rush.

8. Sign Ken Hamlin or Deon Grant- lets face it, Pierson cannot start at safety in this league. However, Gregg should create a competition for the starting Safety job alongside Sean Taylor.

8. Sign Chris Brown, Najeh Davenport of Correll Buckhalter to be Portis's backup if we trade betts.

10. With out Top 5 pick in the draft, we target Calvin Johnson of GA Tech. The man is an absolute beast. However, there is a high chance that he will be gone by our pick so at that time, we trade down and continue to trade down until we have a stockpile of picks. With our mid to late first rounder, draft Jeff Smarzdjia, or Dwayne Jarrett to eventually start next to Santana allowing Randle El to be a great 3rd option. With the picks that we pick up through trades, we use those to trade back into the first round select a MLB, hopefully Patrick Willis. If not, we either sign one off the street, or force Lemar to earn his job. Hopefully, Rocky will start for us next year.

What do you all think.

Betts is signed. He likes it here and everyone loves him.

We don't use the same system that Freeny is used to and HE WON"T be as effective in ours. Plus Dainels and Carter are GOOD, give them time.

Brandon Lloyd will not be cut or traded.... :doh: for even thinking that.

Arch will probably be gone.

Betts is signed. He likes it here and everyone loves him.

We don't use the same system that Freeny is used to and HE WON"T be as effective in ours. Plus Dainels and Carter are GOOD, give them time.

Brandon Lloyd will not be cut or traded.... :doh: for even thinking that.

Arch will probably be gone.

I dont understand why people are saying that Daniels is good. He has put up atrocious numbers here in Washington, hes old, slow and doesnt create any havoc. Sure people can blame the scheme and what not, or they can claim that he is a run-stopping DE, but eventually one has to look at the numbers and the strength of our defense. Not only to RB's break contain all the time, we have some of the worst sack numbers in the league. Get over it, there is a real lack of talent on the Defensive side of the ball, and one first day pick is not gonna solve anything.

Here it goes:

1. Trade or Cut patten-whichever makes more salary sense.

Maybe. I just don't like the idea of cutting a guy with so much experience. Especially in the playoffs.

2. Trade or cut Brandon lloyd-Whichever makes more salary cap sense

No. Loyd has a lot of talent and is passionate. He can be realed in, especially with guys like Portis and Marcus Washington on the team.

3. KEEP Archuleta solely because it would be a huge hit, and i think with an offseason in D.C. his coverage skills might be better.

Yea, I guess. I mean, who knows what to do with that contract.

4. Trade Betts- I think we could get great value if we traded him to the jets, or texans, or some other team that needs him. Though i want this to happen, i dont see it happening because we just signed him to a nice contract. Although, he would provide major draft help.

Yea, if by major draft help, you mean a fourth rounder. Cus thats all we could get for him. Betts knows the system, is liked by the coaches, is liked by his teammates, and can be productive when needed. But, yea, let's trade that away for some sill fourth rounder who has about a 30 percent chance of starting :rolleyes:

5. Cut Renaldo Wynn- sorry, but the big fellow has to go.

Yea. Either that, or he's gotta play for the vet minimum. I can't ever remember seeing him make a play.

6. Sign Nate Clements, Asante Samuel or Rod Hood. Springs, One of those guys and Rogers would be a pretty decent set of CB's.

Except, Springs would be a huge cap hit. You gonna pay a guy all that money to play nickle corner or maybe safety? Other than that, I love the idea of signing Clements. But I bet he wouldn't be willing to play for GW again . . .

7. Sign Dwight Freeney or Justin Smith- one of these guys with the resurgent andre carter could provide a good pass rush.

No Freeney. We have a hybrid DE/OLB in Andre Carter. Maybe Justin Smith . . . kind of depends on cap space.

8. Sign Ken Hamlin or Deon Grant- lets face it, Pierson cannot start at safety in this league. However, Gregg should create a competition for the starting Safety job alongside Sean Taylor.

What about Troy Vincent? Grant is overrated. Maybe Hamlin. If he's reasonably priced.

8. Sign Chris Brown, Najeh Davenport of Correll Buckhalter to be Portis's backup if we trade betts.

How about we just keep Betts for all the reasons I listed before.

10. With out Top 5 pick in the draft, we target Calvin Johnson of GA Tech. The man is an absolute beast. However, there is a high chance that he will be gone by our pick so at that time, we trade down and continue to trade down until we have a stockpile of picks. With our mid to late first rounder, draft Jeff Smarzdjia, or Dwayne Jarrett to eventually start next to Santana allowing Randle El to be a great 3rd option. With the picks that we pick up through trades, we use those to trade back into the first round select a MLB, hopefully Patrick Willis. If not, we either sign one off the street, or force Lemar to earn his job. Hopefully, Rocky will start for us next year.

How about no? How about we draft towards are biggest need, which is still defensive line.

Here's the best idea though: How about we don't do any of that crap. Let's keep the roster stable. Stability is a good thing. Looks what happened the last time: The Redskins made the playoffs in Gibbs second year back. Quit screwing around with it and let the team develop chemistry.

The OP has no idea what a salary cap is.

You can't cut or trade 1/2 the team and then go out and sign the most expensive players in free agency. And drafting a WR is the last thing we need other than maybe drafting a punter or kicker in the first round, but actually those make more sense considering we could use one of each.

The OP has no idea what a salary cap is.

You can't cut or trade 1/2 the team and then go out and sign the most expensive players in free agency. And drafting a WR is the last thing we need other than maybe drafting a punter or kicker in the first round, but actually those make more sense considering we could use one of each.

I guess you are one of the guys that think that we are "stacked" at WR...:laugh: :laugh:

It really makes me laugh when I read crazy stuff like that

I wouldnt call Brandon lloyds and Antwaan Randle El's 3 combined TD's a position of depth. Brandon lloyd has not proven anything here, and has not made a big catch all season.

I am tired of the Brandon Lloyd comments. This guy is a player that has not been utilized. How many opportunities has Lloyd had? 2-3 passes per game??? I have been to a few games and TIVO every Skin's game. BL is open on nearly every play. He beats his man consistantly. We are not getting him the opportunities! Moss only has about 680 yards; should we cut him??? Hell no!

...and to the guy who started the thread....a cut and trade count the same towards the cap...and AA being cut after June 1st (or appropriated that way as per the new CBA) would actually save $500k next year.

It is obvious we have only a few holes, and they're on the defense. Only moves we need to make on offense would be if you think JC sucks and that's not going to get fixed next year if you think that. Offensively, we just need to remember who we are in the off-season (something we forgot). JC just needs to stop making the mental errors, he's got the physical tools if we play our game. Re-sign Dock, get some young depth at o-line. Maybe we can find a solid, big-body TE to back up Cooley. Need to look at FB, Sellers is good but we need a young FB who looks like Sellers and we can start to groom.

On defense, we need to figure out how to create turnovers, maybe a better pass rush or put 'Los and others in front of a football cannon. Is Springs is done? If yes, we probably need to look at someone like Clements and we probably need to look for a new nickle guy. If not, we still need to think seriously about going after one of the top corners in the draft. We also need to think about our pass rush, still. AC is getting better but is it enough? Daniels had an off-season, is that a sign of things to come or just moving to the other side? Can he and Wynn still give us another quality year? If Wynn and Daniels are done, we need to think how best to fix that problem. In any case, I would like to think about a young buck DL. I don't like our over-reliance on Griff but I don't think it can be fixed.

It is obvious we have only a few holes, and they're on the defense. Only moves we need to make on offense would be if you think JC sucks and that's not going to get fixed next year if you think that. Offensively, we just need to remember who we are in the off-season (something we forgot). JC just needs to stop making the mental errors, he's got the physical tools if we play our game. Re-sign Dock, get some young depth at o-line. Maybe we can find a solid, big-body TE to back up Cooley. Need to look at FB, Sellers is good but we need a young FB who looks like Sellers and we can start to groom.

On defense, we need to figure out how to create turnovers, maybe a better pass rush or put 'Los and others in front of a football cannon. Is Springs is done? If yes, we probably need to look at someone like Clements and we probably need to look for a new nickle guy. If not, we still need to think seriously about going after one of the top corners in the draft. We also need to think about our pass rush, still. AC is getting better but is it enough? Daniels had an off-season, is that a sign of things to come or just moving to the other side? Can he and Wynn still give us another quality year? If Wynn and Daniels are done, we need to think how best to fix that problem. In any case, I would like to think about a young buck DL. I don't like our over-reliance on Griff but I don't think it can be fixed.

A FEW HOLES!!! What team are you looking at? We are one of the worst teams in the NFL

When you are in the same bundle as the Browns, Lions, Texans and the Cardinals there are more than just a few needs. Some comments on here are totally outlandish and this has to be one of the top 2

Its you who need to watch the games. Those teams you mention also only have a few holes to fill. Problem is finding the guys to fill the holes, not the number of holes.

LOL...Those teams has been "filling holes" for the past 10 years

I hope that we do not keep thinking that we have only a few holes to fill for as long as they have before we realize that we need major surgery ala the Colts to become a major NFL force

LOL...Those teams has been "filling holes" for the past 10 years

I hope that we do not keep thinking that we have only a few holes to fill for as long as they have before we realize that we need major surgery ala the Colts to become a major NFL force

No, one of the problems is thinking you need major surgery, that has been our major issue. The Colts did NOT have major surgery. They filled the few holes they'd had but, overtime, you also have to replace those guys you do have, its called attrition.

Most players perform better when they've got the right guys around them. An average DE can blow it up big if he's got a DE on the other side who DEMANDS double and triple teams. A mediocre WR can look good if he's got the right guy throwing the ball to him and a guy on the other side who can take the pressure off. Most secondaries improve big-time when you've got a d-line that can make the QB throw the ball before he's ready and as I pointed out, that comes from getting the one right guy. DTs who get penetration on running plays allow LBs to play downhill and allow safeties to play ball-hawk on passing plays. A coach who calls the right plays can make any player look better if the player just executes. And anybody whose followed the Redskins for any length of time knows that a great offensive line can make an average QB a pro-bowler. If a player knows his teammate WILL do the job, that player usually will do his job.

True confidence in your abilities, your teammates abilities and the system is one of the most important factors for good performance. This comes mostly from synergy. A confident player with mediocre abilty will ALWAYS out-perform a player with greate abilty but no confidence.

No, one of the problems is thinking you need major surgery, that has been our major issue. The Colts did NOT have major surgery. They filled the few holes they'd had but, overtime, you also have to replace those guys you do have, its called attrition.

Most players perform better when they've got the right guys around them. An average DE can blow it up big if he's got a DE on the other side who DEMANDS double and triple teams. A mediocre WR can look good if he's got the right guy throwing the ball to him and a guy on the other side who can take the pressure off. Most secondaries improve big-time when you've got a d-line that can make the QB throw the ball before he's ready and as I pointed out, that comes from getting the one right guy. DTs who get penetration on running plays allow LBs to play downhill and allow safeties to play ball-hawk on passing plays. A coach who calls the right plays can make any player look better if the player just executes. And anybody whose followed the Redskins for any length of time knows that a great offensive line can make an average QB a pro-bowler. If a player knows his teammate WILL do the job, that player usually will do his job.

True confidence in your abilities, your teammates abilities and the system is one of the most important factors for good performance. This comes mostly from synergy. A confident player with mediocre abilty will ALWAYS out-perform a player with greate abilty but no confidence.

All that sounds like major surgery to me

Brandon lloyd has not proven anything here, and has not made a big catch all season.

what about the deep ball in the titans game?

or the trick play to him against the eagles?

i mean, yeah, he might not have put up the stellear numbers we had hoped for, but man, how quick this board has forgotten the legend of Taylor Jacobs.

Arch must go to bears, for picks...

Patten, gone for picks...

Everyone who goes needs to be gone for picks...

We've been through this for years, FA's are to fill in the occasional hole.

I like the Gaines Adams pickup idea, the one game of his I see he causes like 3 turnovers and one assist, as well as a couple of passes batted down.

What is it we're missing most on D right now? We're threatening the ****ing all time low on turnovers and that's including when there was only nine games.

Maybe. I just don't like the idea of cutting a guy with so much experience. Especially in the playoffs.

No. Loyd has a lot of talent and is passionate. He can be realed in, especially with guys like Portis and Marcus Washington on the team.

Yea, I guess. I mean, who knows what to do with that contract.

Yea, if by major draft help, you mean a fourth rounder. Cus thats all we could get for him. Betts knows the system, is liked by the coaches, is liked by his teammates, and can be productive when needed. But, yea, let's trade that away for some sill fourth rounder who has about a 30 percent chance of starting :rolleyes:

Yea. Either that, or he's gotta play for the vet minimum. I can't ever remember seeing him make a play.

Except, Springs would be a huge cap hit. You gonna pay a guy all that money to play nickle corner or maybe safety? Other than that, I love the idea of signing Clements. But I bet he wouldn't be willing to play for GW again . . .

No Freeney. We have a hybrid DE/OLB in Andre Carter. Maybe Justin Smith . . . kind of depends on cap space.

What about Troy Vincent? Grant is overrated. Maybe Hamlin. If he's reasonably priced.

How about we just keep Betts for all the reasons I listed before.

How about no? How about we draft towards are biggest need, which is still defensive line.

Here's the best idea though: How about we don't do any of that crap. Let's keep the roster stable. Stability is a good thing. Looks what happened the last time: The Redskins made the playoffs in Gibbs second year back. Quit screwing around with it and let the team develop chemistry.

YES PLEASE LET'S KEEP THIS ROSTER STABLE AND KEEP SOME CHEMISTRY!!

I love it when we go 4-12

Stability is NOT good if your are getting used to just being a mediocre team

Be real people. Patten for picks? Seriously, what team is gonna be stupid enough to give picks for him? The highest we could get him is like a 7th rounder and thats pointless.

Betts for picks? Like the guy way earlier said James and Alexander didn't get offers when they were up for trade two years ago.

How about we stop managing our team like it's fantasy/madden football and actually start running a real team.

Sometimes the problem is not as much what you do, but what the teams in your division too. The teams in our division have improved over the last year.

Philly has a competent back up quarterback. Because they didn't last year, it killed them after McNabb went out. The Cowboys are a better team with Romo sits to pee at the helm then they are with Bledsoe. And, the Giants are just better despite team chemistry issues.

So part of the process for us, is that th teams in our division have gotten better, yet we have gotten worse. And, we only have one division win, and that was as a result of a fortunate blocked field goal kick.

Think about this, we have won four games. Two by our chinny chin chin. Dallas and Jacksonville.

I think we need to make an effort to sign Ashante Samuals to go along with Springs. It's important for Wiliam's defense to have to good cover corners. We he has two good cover corners he can scheme with the best of them.

We should also make a run at London Fletcher -- middle linebacker from Buffalo. He knows Greg's defense, and we can put Marshall back on the outside.

With our first pick, we need to take the most dominant defensive player available irregardless of position. I would prefer DE or outside linebacker. However, this guy needs to come in a play immediately.

Our entire focuse needs to be defense.

We should also make a run at London Fletcher -- middle linebacker from Buffalo. He knows Greg's defense, and we can put Marshall back on the outside.

That would probably be a great pick up. He's been very productive and is very consistent. I would love this pick up.

Archived