Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here is how the offseason SHOULD go

Bhutanibeast

we are not winning the superbowl next year.. its gonna be a long process.

How can you say that in this NFC? The saints didn't make the playoffs last year, what are their chances right now? The beauty of this entire situation fellas is that there isnt that much gap between the Bears/saints and the Lions/Redskins. The same way this isnt the league that Jack Kent Cooke could buy all the best players, this ALSO isn't the league where because you have crappy personnel your in the doghouse forever. This is totally fixable this offseason. Truly, it probably doesn't even require a complete overhaul.

This thread talks about a whole lot more changes than are necessary especially on the offense. I look at that offense and I would not object if EVERY single one of them is starting again next year. We gotta get healthy. Then we gotta get stronger. Jansen's calf, salaveas calf, the entire teams hamstring!! Get healthy. But when they come back healthy it should be a tough physical offseason. Campbell with 7 NFL games under his belt should be working his ASS off for the next 8 months!! Every day, film, film, more film and then when he's all done with all the film. . . . yes, FILM!! Sign cooley, sign dockery. The offense is fine. We have two beast backs. We have cooley, a solid recieving TE (who needs to be incorporated heavily into the gameplans next season). We gotta bruise and hit. We are physical, where ya down in the fourth quarter and crush your spirit. When they have seen Betts, Betts, Portis, Portis, Portis, Betts, Betts, Portis, Portis, they will creep up those safeties and th dreaded "cover two" that suddenly burst onto the scene this year and stumped our coordinator doesn't work because you can't cover the deep ball AND stop the run so that MAJOR arm on that young QB of ours starts launching em (similar to the one to Randle El for two consecutive weeks now) over the safeties. . . . they back up Portis, portis, betts, betts. . . you get the picture. Leave the offense alone personnel wise. Cater to the strengths of that personnel. Run first, control time of possession, deep ball and roll outs off of play action and your fine. This offense Ihave every reason to believe will be solid next year.

The defense needs personnel change and I am not totally opposed to some of the threads suggestions defensively.

Most of all though, this offseason has to be a freakin JOB for these guys. They need to workout, they need to work on fundamentals, the need to review film, they need to have a physical camp, they need to be disciplined. This team cuts its penalties in half from this year (achieveable believe me) and this team is in the playoffs in the NFC next year. They actually get some rythm and plug a few holes in the defense, maybe sign a reliable kicker and I see a bye!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is a different league. Just ask the Saints. :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

but with what money are we going to sign those players? oh, you mean the money we save through those trades right? no one is going to take any of those players and you know it. the FA you suggested are great players to have on your team, but we've fallen into that same trap over and over again and people want to try to do it again and again expecting different results. i really think we should just build on what we have and give gibbs some time to fix this.

Nah, that is too hard, a couple of folks here love the easy route just like the Redskins FO. Remember, the road to Redskin hell is paved with BIG NAME, HIGH PRICED, NONE PRODUCING FREE AGENTS........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Oh yeah, we are so screwed :doh: :(

I really don't think that scenario is financially feasible. The Skins aren't in a position to sign both Nate Clements and a Dwight Freeney or even a Justin Smith. It's simply too much money. These guys are going to want mega contracts. They will probably be able to sign one mid tier or upper tier free agent. You've also neglected the LG position, do you have any plans for that?

How can you say that in this NFC? The saints didn't make the playoffs last year, what are their chances right now? The beauty of this entire situation fellas is that there isnt that much gap between the Bears/saints and the Lions/Redskins. The same way this isnt the league that Jack Kent Cooke could buy all the best players, this ALSO isn't the league where because you have crappy personnel your in the doghouse forever. This is totally fixable this offseason. Truly, it probably doesn't even require a complete overhaul.

This thread talks about a whole lot more changes than are necessary especially on the offense. I look at that offense and I would not object if EVERY single one of them is starting again next year. We gotta get healthy. Then we gotta get stronger. Jansen's calf, salaveas calf, the entire teams hamstring!! Get healthy. But when they come back healthy it should be a tough physical offseason. Campbell with 7 NFL games under his belt should be working his ASS off for the next 8 months!! Every day, film, film, more film and then when he's all done with all the film. . . . yes, FILM!! Sign cooley, sign dockery. The offense is fine. We have two beast backs. We have cooley, a solid recieving TE (who needs to be incorporated heavily into the gameplans next season). We gotta bruise and hit. We are physical, where ya down in the fourth quarter and crush your spirit. When they have seen Betts, Betts, Portis, Portis, Portis, Betts, Betts, Portis, Portis, they will creep up those safeties and th dreaded "cover two" that suddenly burst onto the scene this year and stumped our coordinator doesn't work because you can't cover the deep ball AND stop the run so that MAJOR arm on that young QB of ours starts launching em (similar to the one to Randle El for two consecutive weeks now) over the safeties. . . . they back up Portis, portis, betts, betts. . . you get the picture. Leave the offense alone personnel wise. Cater to the strengths of that personnel. Run first, control time of possession, deep ball and roll outs off of play action and your fine. This offense Ihave every reason to believe will be solid next year.

The defense needs personnel change and I am not totally opposed to some of the threads suggestions defensively.

Most of all though, this offseason has to be a freakin JOB for these guys. They need to workout, they need to work on fundamentals, the need to review film, they need to have a physical camp, they need to be disciplined. This team cuts its penalties in half from this year (achieveable believe me) and this team is in the playoffs in the NFC next year. They actually get some rythm and plug a few holes in the defense, maybe sign a reliable kicker and I see a bye!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is a different league. Just ask the Saints. :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

I agree whole heartedly about the same starting offense next year. When these guys gel and saunders gets comfy, There is no reason it cant be awesome....

Defense is harder to get a read on, especially our secondary, but we definately need some young guys on DL and some changes at linebacker

With a lack of draft picks, we have to use free agency again to shore up our holes. A 5th round pick, most likely, will not start at safety, defensive end, or linebacker for us. We have to pull a move.

No no no no no no no no no

We don't have to use free agency to shore up our holes. Free agency would be AT BEST a temporary fix next year and an even bigger hole later on because with minimal room under the cap the only free agents we get are with draft picks.

You think trading our bust free agents and then going on a wild free agent spree this year makes any kind of sense? Do you think we get even half of what we paid for them?

so let me see what you want to do

*trade ladell betts who was so loyal to sign a cheap contract so he can stay a redskins

*cut wynn who has been here the longest defensive side of the ball who knows greg williams defense

*sign the highest paid freeagents their are

*trade brandon lloyd who hasnt even learned the new system and draft another WR with our top 5 pick?

ok.............this is not madden

Guest JCsSkins

this plan is completely rediculous. You actually think they signed Betts to a new deal so they could trade him? You have no clue about the CAP. AA will definitely be gone by the end of February. He's due a $5 mil bonus March 1.

As for the rest of your ideas....well....they're just stupid.

this plan is completely rediculous. You actually think they signed Betts to a new deal so they could trade him? You have no clue about the CAP. AA will definitely be gone by the end of February. He's due a $5 mil bonus March 1.

As for the rest of your ideas....well....they're just stupid.

He is due the bonus at the end of march, but if the redskins do not pay the bonus then the next 3 years of his contract become guaranteed which equals 5 million. AA will be costly to cut. He gets that 5 million either way

Your right, thats why we need to sign Dwight Freeney.

That would be a VERY foolish thing to do. We can't have two speed/pass rush DE's. look at the colts, that's what they have, and their run D is terrible. I say we keep who we have on the line. Golston will be starting for years to come, and Phillip Daniels is good enough to start. We still should draft a DE though.

i know i know...all of you will ask why i am starting another offseason thread but bear with me. I was banned for the past 2 weeks and i couldnt share my opinion on another thread dealing with the offseason.

Here it goes:

1. Trade or Cut patten-whichever makes more salary sense.

2. Trade or cut Brandon lloyd-Whichever makes more salary cap sense

3. KEEP Archuleta solely because it would be a huge hit, and i think with an offseason in D.C. his coverage skills might be better.

4. Trade Betts- I think we could get great value if we traded him to the jets, or texans, or some other team that needs him. Though i want this to happen, i dont see it happening because we just signed him to a nice contract. Although, he would provide major draft help.

5. Cut Renaldo Wynn- sorry, but the big fellow has to go.

6. Sign Nate Clements, Asante Samuel or Rod Hood. Springs, One of those guys and Rogers would be a pretty decent set of CB's.

7. Sign Dwight Freeney or Justin Smith- one of these guys with the resurgent andre carter could provide a good pass rush.

8. Sign Ken Hamlin or Deon Grant- lets face it, Pierson cannot start at safety in this league. However, Gregg should create a competition for the starting Safety job alongside Sean Taylor.

8. Sign Chris Brown, Najeh Davenport of Correll Buckhalter to be Portis's backup if we trade betts.

10. With out Top 5 pick in the draft, we target Calvin Johnson of GA Tech. The man is an absolute beast. However, there is a high chance that he will be gone by our pick so at that time, we trade down and continue to trade down until we have a stockpile of picks. With our mid to late first rounder, draft Jeff Smarzdjia, or Dwayne Jarrett to eventually start next to Santana allowing Randle El to be a great 3rd option. With the picks that we pick up through trades, we use those to trade back into the first round select a MLB, hopefully Patrick Willis. If not, we either sign one off the street, or force Lemar to earn his job. Hopefully, Rocky will start for us next year.

What do you all think.

I don't see why we would trade Betts, and then sign players of less talent but pay more for them (because we would pay more than 11 mil/5 years for pretty much any RB on the free agent market). We have done this in the past with replacing Ryan Clark for Adam Archuleta, but that was an accident. They signed AA expecting him to be better. But you want to do down grade on purpose. I don't get it.

Here's the way the off-season should go-

LEAVE THE TEAM THE F### ALONE

There are obvious changes that we need to make, but for the most part, let the team grow. The team has talent, it just needs chemistry. I'm not against using free agency, i think there are 1 or 2 key signings we could make....BUT THATS ALL. We've tried the sign and trade everything mentality and it doesn't work. Time for a new way of doing things.

Here's the way the off-season should go-

LEAVE THE TEAM THE F### ALONE

There are obvious changes that we need to make, but for the most part, let the team grow. The team has talent, it just needs chemistry. I'm not against using free agency, i think there are 1 or 2 key signings we could make....BUT THATS ALL. We've tried the sign and trade everything mentality and it doesn't work. Time for a new way of doing things.

Eloquent yet succinct. Great post Ozskin. :cheers:

lets get Peyton Manning, LT, Tony Gonzalez, TO, Chad Johnson, Dwight Freeney, Michael Strahan, Champ Bailey, Troy Potimalu(sp), Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher(sp)

how bout that?

The Redskins have all of the potential in the world, no matter how bad you think they looked this year, the defense showed (mostly the same guys) they can be dominant for 2 years, and we have arguably the best O coordinator in football. The Redskins need no new players other than what we are given in draft picks.

That would be a VERY foolish thing to do. We can't have two speed/pass rush DE's. look at the colts, that's what they have, and their run D is terrible. I say we keep who we have on the line. Golston will be starting for years to come, and Phillip Daniels is good enough to start. We still should draft a DE though.

I have to agree with this. Freeney and Carter is not a good recipe for success against the run - look no further than the Colts run defense as you already pointed out. Daniels is a decent DE and has been good against the run. I also like his work ethic and attitude, but I do think we could use an upgrade. I think we need a DE in the mold of Jared Allen or draft the DE out of Nebraska Adam Carriker.

"we dont invest a 1st rounder in a WR.. thats a position of depth we have.. betts is not going anywhere and hes proven hes good in our system..

1) WR is not a position of depth - we lack a possession receiver. our WR loadout doesn't siut a runing team terribly well.

2) "no teams gives up nothing for rbs"...you mean like Portis?

No way we can sign Clements. He is asking for Champ money.

No way we can sign Freeney. IF he hits the market he will want top 5 money.

Roderick Hood is worse than K. Wright.

Asante Samuel would be nice, but again, may be a bit expensive.

I say, leave the team together. Go D in the draft. Maybe trade down and get a first and a second. Use the First on DL-DE and the second on DB. Then get in the weight room and start working.

He is due the bonus at the end of march, but if the redskins do not pay the bonus then the next 3 years of his contract become guaranteed which equals 5 million. AA will be costly to cut. He gets that 5 million either way

You know you are a closet Redskin fan. It's ok, join us. If nothing else it's fun too go on spending sprees every year.

I wouldnt call Brandon lloyds and Antwaan Randle El's 3 combined TD's a position of depth. Brandon lloyd has not proven anything here, and has not made a big catch all season. And where the hell did you hear that Alexander and James did not command a 2nd round pick. Thats BS.

AMEN to that...Receiver is a definite need hopefully our draft pick will be used on an impact receiver such as Johnson or Ted Ginn Jr.

the guy who posted this thread did a pretty good job of evaluation but some of his moves will be impossible

i know i know...all of you will ask why i am starting another offseason thread but bear with me. I was banned for the past 2 weeks and i couldnt share my opinion on another thread dealing with the offseason.

Here it goes:

1. Trade or Cut patten-whichever makes more salary sense.

2. Trade or cut Brandon lloyd-Whichever makes more salary cap sense

3. KEEP Archuleta solely because it would be a huge hit, and i think with an offseason in D.C. his coverage skills might be better.

4. Trade Betts- I think we could get great value if we traded him to the jets, or texans, or some other team that needs him. Though i want this to happen, i dont see it happening because we just signed him to a nice contract. Although, he would provide major draft help.

5. Cut Renaldo Wynn- sorry, but the big fellow has to go.

6. Sign Nate Clements, Asante Samuel or Rod Hood. Springs, One of those guys and Rogers would be a pretty decent set of CB's.

7. Sign Dwight Freeney or Justin Smith- one of these guys with the resurgent andre carter could provide a good pass rush.

8. Sign Ken Hamlin or Deon Grant- lets face it, Pierson cannot start at safety in this league. However, Gregg should create a competition for the starting Safety job alongside Sean Taylor.

8. Sign Chris Brown, Najeh Davenport of Correll Buckhalter to be Portis's backup if we trade betts.

10. With out Top 5 pick in the draft, we target Calvin Johnson of GA Tech. The man is an absolute beast. However, there is a high chance that he will be gone by our pick so at that time, we trade down and continue to trade down until we have a stockpile of picks. With our mid to late first rounder, draft Jeff Smarzdjia, or Dwayne Jarrett to eventually start next to Santana allowing Randle El to be a great 3rd option. With the picks that we pick up through trades, we use those to trade back into the first round select a MLB, hopefully Patrick Willis. If not, we either sign one off the street, or force Lemar to earn his job. Hopefully, Rocky will start for us next year.

What do you all think.

Is this really Danny boy posing as an ES member, trying to put feelers out to the fans as to what to do next?

Archived