Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blondie's OFFICIAL Game Thread - EAGLES @ REDSKINS *Rematch Edition

TK

gamedayredskins_eagles.jpg

STREAM SONNY, SAM, & LARRY HERE!

espnradio.gif

This is THE place for you to discuss the game during the game.

Remember, keep it clean. If you need to, use the Report Post function. It looks like this report.gif and can be found in the upper right hand corner of each individual post.

FYI if the TV feed is out of synch with the radio stream, pause the TV with your DVR or your TiVO & synch them that way.

While waiting for kickoff, take a few to checkout the FREE digital access to the Game Day Roster Card distributed to the media. It's exclusively for Redskins.com registered members. And checkout the Pre Game Report for some light reading. :)

Want in game stats? Get 'em HERE.

yearbook2006thumb.jpg

icon6.gif

SERIES HISTORY

The Redskins and Eagles have met a total of 141 times over their long rivalry, which dates back to 1934. The Redskins hold the series edge 75-64-5.

In Week 10 of this season, the Eagles defeated the Redskins 27-3 at rainy Lincoln Financial Field. The Redskins and Eagles have clashed once in the postseason, with Washington winning 20-6 in the Wild Card playoff round on Jan. 4, 1990.

icon6.gif

NEWS & NOTES

• A Redskins' win over the Eagles would:
    -- Give the Redskins two consecutive wins over the Eagles at FedExField
    -- Give head coach Joe Gibbs an all-time record of 20-11 vs. the Eagles
    -- Give head coach Joe Gibbs a 3-3 record against Andy Reid-coached teams
  • Redskins safety Troy Vincent played for the Eagles from 1996-2003 and had five consecutive Pro Bowl berths from 1999-2003. Redskins wide receiver James Thrash played for the Redskins from 2001-03. And Redskins linebacker Jeff Posey played with the Eagles briefly in 2001.
  • Special teams coordinator Danny Smith coached special teams in Philadelphia from 1995-96, then switched to defensive backs coach from 1997-98. He coached in Philadelphia under Ray Rhodes, who was the Redskins' defensive coordinator in 2001.
  • Jeff Garcia is a 2-1 all-time in games against the Redskins, but he has never played a game at FedExField. The last time Garcia played against Washington was in October 2004 when he played for the Cleveland Browns. He led the Browns to a 13-10 victory.
    Garcia was the starting quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers on Dec. 26, 1999, when the Redskins clinched the NFC East title with a 26-20 victory.
  • The Redskins' defense has yielded just four rushing touchdowns all season, tops in the NFL.

FAMILIAR FACES ON THE EAGLES

• Middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter played for the Redskins from 2002-03. He was originally drafted by Philadelphia in 1998, signed with Washington in 2004 as a free agent, then returned to the Eagles in 2004.
  • Kicker David Akers played for the Redskins in 1998.
  • Linebacker Shawn Barber played for the Redskins from 1998-2001. Barber was the Redskins' fourth-round draft choice in 1998.
  • Linebackers coach Steve Spagnuolo was a player personnel intern with the Redskins in 1983.

icon6.gif

For Defense, 'X' Marks Westbrook

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

December 7, 2006

Troy Vincent calls him the "X Factor." Mostly he's a running back, but sometimes he lines up at wide receiver. Occasionally he'll return punts. In Philadelphia's 27-24 victory over Carolina last Monday night, he even lined up at quarterback.

Obviously, the Redskins' defense will keep a close eye on Brian Westbrook in Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedExField.

Westbrook was certainly a big reason why the Redskins lost to the Eagles 27-3 at Lincoln Financial Field in Week 10. He rushed for 113 yards on 22 carries and caught three passes for 37 yards.

Then, quarterback Donovan McNabb was the focal point of the Eagles' offense. Now, with veteran QB Jeff Garcia taking over for the injured McNabb, Westbrook has emerged as the primary weaon.

72514146gogo.jpgBrian Westbrook rushed for 113 yards in Week 10 against the Redskins. (Getty Images)

"Really, if you look at the Eagles, [Westbrook] has been that way for the last few years," said Vincent, the veteran safety and former Eagle. "Terrell Owens was their big play guy the last two years, but when you sit down and you watch the tape, No. 36 always shows up in the passing game as well as the run.

"When he rolls, they roll."

Westbrook is on the verge of his first 1,000-yard season as a rusher--he has compiled 907 yards and 177 carries, an impressive 5.1 yards-per-carry average, and five touchdowns. He also leads the team with 66 receptions for 586 yards.

"He is what makes their offense click," assistant head coach-offense Gregg Williams said. "I really do believe that. He's a special guy in the passing game and the running game."

How to stop him? In the run game, defensive coaches will focus on stopping him at the line of scrimmage, obviously. In the passing game, Westbrook often has a linebacker covering him, a matchup that he uses to his advantage. When Westbrook lines up at receiver, though, safety Sean Taylor could be a favorable matchup for the Redskins.

Said Williams: "He's very similar to some of the things we saw with Michael Vick, in that when he gets in the open field, he can break you down. You can have two guys surrounding him, but he still makes a play. That's what we have to minimize when he does get the ball out in the open field. And since McNabb has been out, he's been featured even more."

Of course, the Eagles have been running a version of the so-called West Coast offensive system since the mid-1990s. Their offense is fine-tuned with head coach Andy Reid and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg running it.

That's one reason why Garcia, who played in the West Coast offense in San Francisco from 1998-2003, has been able to step right in, leading the Eagles to a win over the Panthers that kept their postseason hopes alive.

"[Garcia] does some very good things in the passing game for them that frustrate defenses by buying extra time outside the pocket," Williams said. "We have to do a good job in the contain feature there. He has made a very good living on improvising and creating big plays with his feet. We will have to make sure we are on top of that."

Added cornerback Shawn Springs: "Coach Reid keeps that train moving. The system they run works. Even with Donovan out, they're still winning. They still have Westbrook and Garcia is a proven veteran.

"I've seen [Garcia] a number of times when I played in the NFC West [with Seattle] and I remember him as a Pro Bowl player. So he's capable of doing it. They're still fighting for the playoffs and they're going to come after us."

The Eagles have a pair of emerging wide receivers in Donte Stallworth and Reggie Brown, but when Garcia gets rid of the ball, he is usually targeting Westbrook. Since Garcia has taken over for McNabb, he has completed 22 passes to Westbrook for 128 yards and two touchdowns.

Westbrook resides in Fort Washington, Md., and grew up in the Washington, D.C., area. He starred at DeMatha High School in Hyattsville, Md., before moving on to Villanova and then the Eagles as a third-round draft pick in 2002.

Westbrook said earlier this week that he always looks forward to playing the Redskins at FedExField.

"It means a lot to go back," he said. "A lot of my friends go and watch the games. It's always fun to go down there and play at the Redskins stadium. They always have a very good team down there and they play well in Washington. It's always a challenge. We have to come out and play our best game.

"For me, there is always more incentive to play my best game because I grew up down in that area."

POST GAME LINKS

pogthumb.jpg

icon6.gif

icon6.gif Watch the Post Game Press Conference Live!! icon6.gif

Garcia is underrated. Maybe its his limp-wristed throwing style that makes him so efficient :)

We should win this game. As others have said, even with little to play for (unless you're one of those 'in denial' types who are calculating the odds of an 8-8 team making it in) these last weeks still matter. Campbell needs to show some progression, and I'd like to see him continue to develop some chemistry with his receiving corps. I'm not much on believing 'success' carries over into the next season. This season is proof how a team finishes indicates little about the season to come. Still, I'd rather see good things, so I can reinvigorate my dwindling undernourished belief system for the coming year.

In other words, kick their asses boys!

Looks like I am not geo challenged due to weather afterall. Storm is arriving now, but Utah and family and I will be meeting at a friends house to watch the game. Kick the kids downstairs and let the game watching begin. :D Have a good time on here and be nice on Blondie's thread.

Oh.

SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 9 AM MST

MONDAY.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SALT LAKE CITY HAS ISSUED A SNOW

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 9 AM MST

MONDAY.

THIS SNOW ADVISORY IS FOR ALL OF THE MOUNTAINS OF UTAH EXCEPT THE

HENRY MOUNTAINS.

CLOUDS WILL INCREASE RAPIDLY THIS MORNING WITH SNOW DEVELOPING BY

LATE MORNING. THE SNOW WILL THEN CONTINUE HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH

THIS EVENING THEN BEGIN TO DECREASE AFTER MIDNIGHT. GENERALLY 6 TO

12 INCHES OF NEW SNOW IS EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS OF UTAH WITH 2

TO 6 INCHES FOR THE HENRY MOUNTAINS. LOCALLY...15 TO 20 INCHES OF

SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE BY MONDAY MORNING.

THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR THIS AFTERNOON IN AREAS FAVORED

BY SOUTHWEST FLOW...THEN SHIFT SUNDAY EVENING TO AREAS FAVORED BY

WEST TO NORTHWEST FLOW AS THE COLD FRONT MOVES ACROSS THE AREA.

ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WILL ALSO OCCUR LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS

EVENING...LOCALLY ENHANCING SNOWFALL RATES.

A SNOW ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY

TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND

LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

Archived