Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ipod or MP3?

Om

Getting one or the other for my kid. Getting conflicting advice. I'd like her to be able to download both from itunes AND Windows Media (and any other media for that matter). I've heard that can be done, but that the format differences mean make one easier to use than the other.

Could use some practical advice and opinions on what folks are using and what recommendations you'd make. Any guidance would be muchly appreciated. :)

All iPods are MP3 players. In addition, they can play DRM (protected) AAC songs/videos you buy on the iTunes music store. There is nothing preventing you from taking your CDs, ripping them to MP3, and putting them on your iPod. Happens all the time.

Let's put it this way. My brother stubbornly hates all things Mac, despite the fact that he doesn't know anything about them. When I saw him over Thanksgiving, he told me that he finally broke down and bought an iPod, and he's very happy with it.

Let's put it another way. If you get your kid an iPod, he/she won't hate you. If you get him/her something else, you're running the risk of being one of those parents with a bitter child because they didn't get the "cool" brand, and are made fun of at school. :D

Blast. I was thinking all along ipod was the way to go ... until she came home the other day and said all her high school friends (she's a senior) were going AWAY from ipod. :rolleyes:

The good news is if USD above is correct that she can easily convert all her existing music files (in Windows Media) to itunes format, she'll be able to put them on her shiny ipod.

So I'll be cool on the one hand for having both done a little research AND buying her a better product, but I'll be an old doofus for not getting her what she TOLD ME she wanted.

Kids.

Thanks for the feedback gents. If anyone has more I'll gladly take it ... gonna probably pull the trigger over the weekend sometime, so there's still time if you want to give me more ammunition to tell her how cool I really am. :)

My daughter has an iPod, my son has an MP3 player. You could argue either way which one is better.

I know people who have really wanted to have music storage on their cell phone, where as others want a separate dedicated device.

It's more than a piece of hardware. It's a fashion statement too. My daughter cared about the color of her iPod. My advice, ask her what she wants, maybe after browsing the links below. Would you buy clothes for her? :)

CNET is a decent source of info:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7964_7-5134106-1.html?tag=dir

http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6532_7-6509081.html?tag=dir

Om, read this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107958

mporting Windows Media Audio files with iTunes for Windows

With iTunes for Windows 4.5, you can import unprotected Windows Media Audio (WMA) files to your library.

iTunes does not play unprotected WMA files, but instead converts the files to the file format selected in Importing preferences.

iTunes for Windows cannot import or play WMA files that are protected by Windows Media Digital Rights Management (DRM). These files usually come from other online music stores. Additionally, Windows Media Player encodes CDs to protected WMA format by default, though you may change that setting.

Note: iTunes 4.5 for Mac OS X does not have the ability to import WMA files

Unless you are hooking it up to the car and you wanna charge it or plug it directly into a speaker docking system get a creative zen.

I sell these blasted things all day and they all equally suck. but the creative is more user friendly and can hold songs in formats outside mp3.

San Disk is also a good brand if you buy something in the *E* series.......

oh and if you don't buy the replacement warrenty you are nutz.......all those lithum batteries die between 14-17 months if used regularly..........

Check the local apple store first and get prices then call circuit city.........usually if Apple has a sale going CC will match it and take 10% of the difference off......

Shoot me a message if you have a more detailed Q

I have an iPod, like it and use it a lot, but I don't like Apple. They always end you up in the same place, because of their lack of compatibility and demand for absolute proprietary control. Whenever they come up with a good idea, Windows-based solutions come along and blow them away in affordability and versatility.

In other words, there should be non-Apple products coming down the pike that will be preferable, but I don't know if they're quite there yet. Considering how much the iPod cost, I'm going to stick with it because I'm stuck with it.

It works fine, and I haven't had any problems, but I have no doubt what they do can eventually be done better by somebody else.

Blast. I was thinking all along ipod was the way to go ... until she came home the other day and said all her high school friends (she's a senior) were going AWAY from ipod...

There's hope yet for this country...

Mac snobs are the worst...more irritating than Cowpuke fans...

:cool:

Not so much a recommendation as much as a comment on what I have. My wife bought me a Creative Zen Neeon (6MB). For me the size was close to what I needed, as I was able to rip over 1400 songs from my CD collection and load them as mp3s. However there are some negatives about my player which I will elaborate on:

1. The controls are difficult to manipulate and the instruction manual is inadequate. Due to this I have resorted to setting my player to random play so it essentially functions as a radio of my favorite songs.

2. The max volume is limited. You may think "Well, it doesn't need to be deafening" but when I used it on a plane, or when I hook it up to my car stereo sometimes the background noise makes the max volume insufficient.

3. It did crash on me one time (completely locked; wouldn't do anything). Fortunately, we had a warranty and it got replaced at no cost. The bad news was that I hadn't ripped backup copies of the songs I had put on it so I had to spend many hours re-ripping songs to re-load the new player.

In conclusion, if she's gonna want more than music (perhaps videos, pictures or audio books - whatever) you may want to make sure you have enough memory and a system that will work with all of it. Make sure it is user friendly. And...check consumer feedback on common problems with various models. (You probably know all this basic stuff already. :) ) Happy hunting.

Getting one or the other for my kid. Getting conflicting advice. I'd like her to be able to download both from itunes AND Windows Media (and any other media for that matter). I've heard that can be done, but that the format differences mean make one easier to use than the other.

Could use some practical advice and opinions on what folks are using and what recommendations you'd make. Any guidance would be muchly appreciated. :)

i would suggest the ipod just because i had a ipod mini, and now got a 30 GB Video ipod. No problems with either.

If you kid is looking for more of a video player------heads up, you cant take your dvd collection/any illegal videos and load them on. You can with software, but that will run you another 50 dollars and can be a pain.

So if its music go with the ipod, if its more movies and some music the kid wants i personally would look somewhere else.

DON'T get an iPod!

Says the middle aged man who is still so immature as to engage in brand name fights as if he were a pimply-faced junior high school student.

LMAO! this coming from the panty-waisted geek who is oh sooooo sensitive over his precious wittle MAC name being besmirched!

I wasn't even originally responding to you, so it's really none of your business is it, mac-dweeb?

You called me a troll, did you not? Now you get all ****y when you get a little **** back? LMAO! Typical mac-dork. Betcha got all those oh so kewwwwl commercials TIVO'd dontcha? Probably got a poster of cool, hip "mac-guy" over your bed...

:laugh:

I got my girlfirend an iPod for her birthday and she loves it. I have used it and I like it as well.

I was going to get an iPod, but I figured she had an iPod that I could use if I wanted so I went with the Zune.

I've only had the Zune for a week or two, but I really like it so far. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but I guess time will tell. The Zune could fall apart next week and I would be singing a different tune.

I like the larger display on the Zune, but the resolution is the same as the iPod so the picture doesn't look quite as good. The thing I liked about the Zune were the wireless capabilities. You can beam songs to other Zunes nearby. You only get the songs for 3 days or 3 plays. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a Zune, so I haven't had a chance to use it. It also has some sort of interface with the XBox, but I don't have an XBox so I haven't looked into those capabilities.

Obviously I haven't used the iPod much since getting the Zune, but I really liked that when I used it. Both have their pros and cons but, I like both, so I would recommend both.

Archived