Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor's Blocked Punt Return: Brilliant or Bone-Headed?

[[ghost]]

Gibbs said it himself anytime ST has the ball in his hands he can make thing happen.
Yea in the press conference someone asked Gibbs if Taylor has free reign to always pick up the ball and run with it and Gibbs smiled real big and said Sean can do whatever he wants. He said Sean is a playmaker and does everything and can do what he wants. That was so awesome to hear.

It was funny, we were talking about just that type of scenario in our section during one of the early punts yesterday. We were talking about how B Mitch went on a string of these in the early nineties where teams would down the ball, then as they were walking off the field, he would pick up the ball and get huge gains on the returns.

Taylor has definitely done this before and knew what he was doing.

Not only did he see the play, he pushed the guy into the ball. Watch the replay people. He didn't go after the ball until after Carolina touched it. It was clear as night-and-day that they touched it and he reacted.

Sean Taylor has had his share of stupid plays in the past but he was tremendous today. The announcers at the end of the game mentioned that Taylor had made a couple of mistakes (fumble, penalty) but made up for them. The penalty was on Springs and the fumble was a no risk play.

Exactly. He knew what had happened because he was the one who pushed the Panther player into the ball... it was at that point that he attacked the ball.

Rock probably was unaware that a Panther had touched the ball and simply lashed out when he chucked the ball.

This was an excellent play... as mentioned before... very much like B Mitch used to do.

It was boneheaded, b/c it was a totally different situation from the Dallas game. That game it was the end of the play, the ball was behind the line. But whenever a blocked kick goes past the line of scrimmage, you never touch it.

Jesus Christ. Have you bothered to read the thread before posting flat-out WRONG information? It's not worth my time to explain how you're incorrect, just read, I don't know, every third post and you'll figure it out.

Bonehead...

Dont think he even knew the rule...

You're actually throwing out that you honestly believe that a starting Free Safety and special teams player in the NFL doesn't know a rule that any high school or college special teams guy gets drilled in their head from day one?

...Really?

...Really?

You're actually throwing out that you honestly believe that a starting Free Safety and special teams player in the NFL doesn't know a rule that any high school or college special teams guy gets drilled in their head from day one?

...Really?

...Really?

your sarcasm is lost on me. plenty of guys get rules drilled in their heads, but the thing is you never are really prepared for the heat of the moment. i can see them drilling it in his head since day one, but i can also see them forgetting everything in the heat of the moment and react purely on instinct, sometimes which is not ideal.

your sarcasm is lost on me. plenty of guys get rules drilled in their heads, but the thing is you never are really prepared for the heat of the moment. i can see them drilling it in his head since day one, but i can also see them forgetting everything in the heat of the moment and react purely on instinct, sometimes which is not ideal.

I'm not saying he didn't react on instinct or in the heat of the moment - that's what Taylor does and part of what makes him such an amazing player. But to actually say that you think he doesn't know the rule is just ridiculous. When right after the game tons of people start commenting on the rule - most of which have probably only played ball at the highschool level - you've got to take that giant leap of faith and assume that a special team-er for a professional team probably knows it, too.

So you're simply speculating that a starting free safety, one whose instincts with loose balls have ALWAYS, and I mean 100% of the time, been perfect, doesn't know the rule? The guy is a god on that field. Stop hating on him just because you have no reason to do so. Jesus.

I think it was purely bone-headed.....they showed the replay and it looked like the Panther barely touched he ball a split second before he touched it.

I think his intention was going for the ball before it was even touched, but only he knows that.

gotta disagree with you here.

The "spot of first touching" rule states that if the kicking team touches the ball but does not down the ball it is a live ball for the recieveing team.

Even if the the ball is picked up by the receiving team subsquentely fumbled to the kicking team and the kicking team scores a touchdown on the play the receiving team can take the points off the board and take posession of the ball at the spot of first touch.

It's like a free play for the receiving team. The worst thing that could happen to the recieving team is to get the ball at the spot of the first touch. The best thing is a touchdown.

This was a very intellegent play by Sean Taylor. He saw that it was illegally touched and pounced on the ball knowing that even if he fumbled, which he did, his team would get the ball back at the spot of the first touch....smart play.

Here's the catch....the punt was blocked. That might throw some people off, thinking that if the ball was first touched by the receiving team it is a live ball.....the trick is that it is only live for the Kicking team if the ball is touched after the ball crosses the line of scrimmage. Since it was touched before the ball crossed the line it but then crossed the line it was not a live ball for the kicking team.

Funny thing about this rule is that not all refs know it, not many coaches know it, very few players know it, and even less fans know it.

I played in a highschool playoff game back in the day where the kicking team downed the ball by just tapping it with their foot....I pounced and scored a touchdown but the ref didn't know the rule and f'd up the call saying that the ball was down at the spot of first touch even when it clearly wasn't downed by the kicking team.....We would have won that game but instead we lost in triple overtime.

I hate refs.

:helmet:

yes and suppose the refs didn't see the contact by the punting team,

That's what instant replay is for. If the booth f'd this call up, heads should've rolled in Ref-land.

For the last time...THIS WAS HEADS UP BY TAYLOR! The rule is, if the ball is illegally touched then the return team can either take the ball at the spot of the touch or they can return the ball. Even if he were to fumble and Carolina run it all the way back, the Redskins would have the choice to bring the ball back to the spot in which it was touched. He saw #56 touch it without downing it and knew it was a penalty. It was very heads up by Taylor, and if people dont know the rules of football they shouldnt judge a starting FS in the NFL. If somehow he gets a big return its huge, if not, then they get the ball back anyways.

Here. Here.

Sean knew this and made a BRILLIANT play, and NOBODY was upset with him; I don't know where you got that impression. So the play didn't work out, it was genuinely super smart to try and take advantage of it.

I wouldn't say that Nobody was upset with him...I would say that there initial reaction would be "what is he doing", but once it was explained to them what the hell was going on they would have said, "Hell of a play Sean. Good job."

Archived