Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor's Blocked Punt Return: Brilliant or Bone-Headed?

[[ghost]]

:blahblah: :jerk:

Yeah, this game REALLY showed that.

:blahblah: :jerk:

ok, so when he plays bad, the whole defense is "it was only one game, let it go"... but of course, the only way you can make your argument is from one game.

Theres no disputing it(which is probably why you needed such a lame response in the first place). Just look at all the personal fouls this year and that will explain it all.

Football 101, so people dont bash Taylor here. He clearly saw the illegal touch by the Panther. In that case one of two things happens, they get the ball at the spot of the illegal touch or they can pick it up and try to get a return. Even if he fumbles, they have the option of having the ball at the spot. Once again, that is the rule in high school, college, and pro. It was VERY heads up.

ok, so when he plays bad, the whole defense is "it was only one game, let it go"... but of course, the only way you can make your argument is from one game.

Theres no disputing it(which is probably why you needed such a lame response in the first place). Just look at all the personal fouls this year and that will explain it all.

Dallas game? Jacksonville game? Any of our wins? Can you show me the personal fouls? Do you know the stats? Can you compare him to other safeties or players on our defense? Do you have any argument whatsoever or just things to spout? I don't have to prove you wrong, buddy; the onus is on you to prove yourself right.

Dallas game? Jacksonville game? Any of our wins? Can you show me the personal fouls? Do you know the stats? Can you compare him to other safeties or players on our defense? Do you have any argument whatsoever or just things to spout? I don't have to prove you wrong, buddy; the onus is on you to prove yourself right.

one easy example is the minnesota game this year. Game tied, Minny driving for the go ahead points, and taylor commits TWO personal fouls in one drive. (One of which was on third down when they would have punted)

If you dont want to open your eyes and see any of these faults, then thats on you. Im not going to sit here and baby someone who is dilussional

one easy example is the minnesota game this year. Game tied, Minny driving for the go ahead points, and taylor commits TWO personal fouls in one drive. (One of which was on third down when they would have punted)

If you dont want to open your eyes and see any of these faults, then thats on you. Im not going to sit here and baby someone who is dilussional

So, that's one example of how he effed up, but you didn't compare that to other safeties, you didn't give any other examples, and you refuse to acknowledge how many amazing plays that he's made this season. Your arguments are flawed and self-defeating.

Oh. And the word is "delusional." Try to look up those big words before you toss them around. :silly:

So, that's one example of how he effed up, but you didn't compare that to other safeties, you didn't give any other examples, and you refuse to acknowledge how many amazing plays that he's made this season. Your arguments are flawed and self-defeating.

Oh. And the word is "delusional." Try to look up those big words before you toss them around. :silly:

I've looked at several places, but none of them had any statistics on penalties for single players. If I find one though, you'll be the first one to know

Anyone who has played college football (special teams) or high school ball with a great coach knows the rule to this.....

If the ball is CLEARLY touched by the kicking team, you can take it at where it is touched or pick it up and do something with it. This is drilled into players' heads in practice. It was for me and I am positive it is for someone like SEAN TAYLOR (professional).

Debating this is like debating JC throwing a bomb after a defender was clearly offsides and flags are thrown.. free play.. JC wouldnt be a bone head if he threw a bomb that resulted in an INT after he CLEARLY saw a defender was offsides and opted for the free play.

These are professionals people... they know whats going on.

Taylor should NOT have touched that ball. I appreciate what he was trying to do, but in that situation, with five Panther players standing around him and a chance of a bobble to take place -- with us ALREADY guaranteed of getting the ball anyway -- that move could have cost us dearly. We wouldn't be talking about the win today!

I've looked at several places, but none of them had any statistics on penalties for single players. If I find one though, you'll be the first one to know

Seriously, though, that's kinda my point. People get soooooooo caught up with what they read and what they hear that they don't actually go back and look at game film. I do. I have every game recorded. You, as in anyone, you haven't actually said this, can say that I'm just a Taylor fanboy, but then again you'd have to think about WHY I'm a fan. It's BECAUSE he's amazing. I don't defend people or mark out for them arbitrarily, I do so because I have reasons, you know?

Have a little faith in me, my man, because I'm not really a dumb guy.

Heh this thread is amazing...

I'll take Sean Taylor's f' ups every now and then for the amount of excitement he adds to our team.

First of all even if he had lost the call in this one today it's no different than him picking up the ball last year at Philly and then again at Tampa and returning them for touchdowns.

How about a few weeks ago when instead of falling on the ball he scrambled far enough down field and got us in field goal range because he put the effort into trying to make a play our of nothing.

I'll take that every Sunday knowing that when he's on the field there is always the possibility of him creating something out of nothing. It worked out today and hell it might not work out the next time but would you rather have anyone else in that position on the field?

I suggest enjoy the win and stop picking a part Sean Taylor. He has screwed up this year but so has the rest of our team.

For the last time...THIS WAS HEADS UP BY TAYLOR! The rule is, if the ball is illegally touched then the return team can either take the ball at the spot of the touch or they can return the ball. Even if he were to fumble and Carolina run it all the way back, the Redskins would have the choice to bring the ball back to the spot in which it was touched. He saw #56 touch it without downing it and knew it was a penalty. It was very heads up by Taylor, and if people dont know the rules of football they shouldnt judge a starting FS in the NFL. If somehow he gets a big return its huge, if not, then they get the ball back anyways.

ST is special with the ball in his hands, he was only trying to make a big play. There is a fine line between being aggressive and trying to make a play and being stupid. That was almost stupid, only the Panther guy touching it first bailed him out there. He needs to know that on a blocked FG, the ball can only be advanced if we touch it first. You only touch it if you are in the open with a chance to make that play.

Taylor should NOT have touched that ball. I appreciate what he was trying to do, but in that situation, with five Panther players standing around him and a chance of a bobble to take place -- with us ALREADY guaranteed of getting the ball anyway -- that move could have cost us dearly. We wouldn't be talking about the win today!

Somebody didnt read the whole thread.

ST is special with the ball in his hands, he was only trying to make a big play. There is a fine line between being aggressive and trying to make a play and being stupid. That was almost stupid, only the Panther guy touching it first bailed him out there. He needs to know that on a blocked FG, the ball can only be advanced if we touch it first. You only touch it if you are in the open with a chance to make that play.

. . . so Sean Taylor did everything right and it was almost stupid? I don't get it. In that situation, a Panther touched it first which is the *ONLY* reason that Taylor touched the ball, because it was a free play. It's the Panther who screwed up. Taylor makes play after play after play for this team and all he gets is crap on this board. Dallas this year? Tampa last year? Philadelphia the week before that? Jeeez, you'd think that he earned your respect and trust by now.

it is amazing how many people on this thread don't seem to realize that there was no possible way that what sean taylor did there could hurt us.

That was the definition of a heads-up play. It didn't amount to anything that time, but we all know that more often than not in those situations he makes something out of it.

I like Sean just as much as any other Redskins fan but we all know that he was trying to do what he did when Vincent blocked that kick a couple of weeks ago and this was not a good situation to do it on. Sean make a lot of good plays but he makes a lot of "bonehead" plays also....I am just happy that the Panthers were more bonehead than he was on that particular play.

Archived