Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor's Blocked Punt Return: Brilliant or Bone-Headed?

[[ghost]]

it is amazing how many people on this thread don't seem to realize that there was no possible way that what sean taylor did there could hurt us.

exactly...almost like if we get a "free" play on offense and we take a shot in the endzone and the ball is picked off....doesn't hurt us one bit....

c'mon people....it was a heads up play by Taylor, and no matter what happened it couldn't have hurt the Skins....just trying to make a play for a 3-7 team...no fault in that...

exactly...almost like if we get a "free" play on offense and we take a shot in the endzone and the ball is picked off....doesn't hurt us one bit....

c'mon people....it was a heads up play by Taylor, and no matter what happened it couldn't have hurt the Skins....just trying to make a play for a 3-7 team...no fault in that...

it turned out that it didn't hurt us because the Panthers touched the ball illegally but Sean did not know this...Sean should've backed away from the ball just as everyone else had...the "play" was already made by Rocky McIntosh when he blocked the punt ...THAT is why Rock and the coaching staff was so upset at him...we were already in a good situation with lots of time. I can understand what he did in Dallas when we needed it but we had plenty of time this time

it turned out that it didn't hurt us because the Panthers touched the ball illegally but Sean did not know this...Sean should've backed away from the ball just as everyone else had...the "play" was already made by Rocky McIntosh when he blocked the punt ...THAT is why Rock and the coaching staff was so upset at him...we were already in a good situation with lots of time. I can understand what he did in Dallas when we needed it but we had plenty of time this time

You still don't understand, man. If a Panther touches the ball, then it's a penalty, and even if we fumble the ball and they score a touchdown, it'll be called back. However, if we score, then we decline the penalty. It's just as if the defense were offsides, it's a free play. You'd still throw the ball downfield because worst-case scenario is that you get five yards and repeat the down, but if you get anything more than those five yards, or even score, then you decline the penalty.

Sean knew this and made a BRILLIANT play, and NOBODY was upset with him; I don't know where you got that impression. So the play didn't work out, it was genuinely super smart to try and take advantage of it.

i didn't read through all the post to see if it was said...but does anyone remember how exactly we got into the playoffs last year. i seem to remember ST (although in a different situation) picking up 2 loose balls, 1 in philly and 1 in tampa, which effectively won us the game. yes, this is somewhat different in that it was a blocked punt, different rules, but we DID need a spark, and he tried to do it for us. he's done it before, and we all know he is capable. it may have turned out wrong had the penalty not been called, but you can't blame the guy for trying to put the team on his back to try and HELP the team

You still don't understand, man. If a Panther touches the ball, then it's a penalty, and even if we fumble the ball and they score a touchdown, it'll be called back. However, if we score, then we decline the penalty. It's just as if the defense were offsides, it's a free play. You'd still throw the ball downfield because worst-case scenario is that you get five yards and repeat the down, but if you get anything more than those five yards, or even score, then you decline the penalty.

Sean knew this and made a BRILLIANT play, and NOBODY was upset with him; I don't know where you got that impression. So the play didn't work out, it was genuinely super smart to try and take advantage of it.

LOL...maybe I got the impression when Rocke slammed the ball on the ground and the cameras showed Sean getting "reprimanded" on the bench...I know exactly what you are saying about the Panthers touching the ball and if Sean had seen the Panthers touch the ball it would have been a pretty smart thing to do ...but...what we are saying is that is that we did not think that he saw the guys touch the ball and he was trying to be the hero which would of been messed the hell up if the refs would not have seen them touch it because it happened so quick...hell you was probably cussing him out before they showed the replays...but we got the "W'' and it is all behind us now but I am pretty sure that Gibbs got something for that azz when they hit that film room Tuesday morning

LOL...maybe I got the impression when Rocke slammed the ball on the ground and the cameras showed Sean getting "reprimanded" on the bench...I know exactly what you are saying about the Panthers touching the ball and if Sean had seen the Panthers touch the ball it would have been a pretty smart thing to do ...but...what we are saying is that is that we did not think that he saw the guys touch the ball and he was trying to be the hero which would of been messed the hell up if the refs would not have seen them touch it because it happened so quick...hell you was probably cussing him out before they showed the replays...but we got the "W'' and it is all behind us now but I am pretty sure that Gibbs got something for that azz when they hit that film room Tuesday morning

Maybe I missed because I was at the game. I'll put money on Sean actually seeing the play and taking advantage of it. After the game Gibbs said, to paraphrase, "Whenever Sean gets the ball in his hands, he can do whatever he wants with it because he makes plays."

Maybe I missed because I was at the game. I'll put money on Sean actually seeing the play and taking advantage of it. After the game Gibbs said, to paraphrase, "Whenever Sean gets the ball in his hands, he can do whatever he wants with it because he makes plays."

Not only did he see the play, he pushed the guy into the ball. Watch the replay people. He didn't go after the ball until after Carolina touched it. It was clear as night-and-day that they touched it and he reacted.

Sean Taylor has had his share of stupid plays in the past but he was tremendous today. The announcers at the end of the game mentioned that Taylor had made a couple of mistakes (fumble, penalty) but made up for them. The penalty was on Springs and the fumble was a no risk play.

Sean Taylor's fumble was boneheaded. (is there a "brilliant" kind of fumble?? or are people playing favorites?)

To those of you playing favorites I hate to tell you -- it is just another boneheaded play added to a long list of Sean Taylor boneheaded plays, including a lot of stupid & needless penalties. The boy is an athlete, but he doesn't have two football braincells to rub together and it's getting old. Both him doing it and fans who exonerate him even though he is doing it.

Yes, under the circumstances there was no way that what Sean did could have ended up hurting us. Now do I think that Sean saw the Panther kick the ball and based on this fact decided to pick up the ball and try to advance it. Probably not, but its possible. I'm pretty sure Sean was going to try to take that ball to the house no matter who did or didn't touch it. Hell, the man insisted on taking his int out of the endzone even when his own teammate was trying to pull him down to the ground to down it for a touchback. And then it looks like he even thought about trying to lateral the ball. :doh:

All that being said, the smartest thing I've ever heard GW say is that he will never try to slow ST down, he's just got to try and make better decisions. The guy has to play 100% on his instincts and is without a doubt the most exciting player I ever remember seeing in a Skins uniform.

:notworthy ST.

HTTR

I'm sorry I would rather have ST than not have him. He sometimes makes bad decisions and is targeted by alot of officals (hints the penalty called on him and it was actually Springs). Whenever ST gets the ball he makes plays. Coach Gibbs said he could probably play 4 or 5 positions for us. I like his desire and intensity to play the game. It gives us character,

I agree with Gibbs but Sean also need to think...we are too close to being out it for us to make stupid mistakes...I hope that he did see it and his mind did work that quickly ... I'd like to hear what he has to say before I pass judgement..."brilliant or bone-head?" is a good question.

I love ST, but I feel that he did not recognize a Panther had touched it therefore whatever he did could never hurt the team - he was just trying to make a play because he has returned turnovers for TD's many times. We saw this again when he caught the interception in the end zone, where he should have just knell down, instead he ran out and tried to make a play and then get enough sense to run out of bounds.

There's nothing wrong with this. He's playmaker and was just trying to do this thing. He'll gain experience and make better decisions.

He definately knew what he was doing. This rule was preached to me since I was in little league football. If an opposing player touches it, pick it up and get what you can, because the play is then dead.

I was at the game but I heard the announcer's thought it was a huge mistake, the only mistake there was the commentating.

Sean Taylor and the defense came to play today...FULLY focused.

one easy example is the minnesota game this year. Game tied, Minny driving for the go ahead points, and taylor commits TWO personal fouls in one drive. (One of which was on third down when they would have punted)

If you dont want to open your eyes and see any of these faults, then thats on you. Im not going to sit here and baby someone who is dilussional

For the record, that "late hit out of bounds" call on ST in the Minnesota game was utter BS...the guy was still in bounds when ST clocked him. It was, coincidentally (or not) the same officiating crew that worked the Tampa Bay playoff game back in January...ST has a "reputation" with them, apparently.

Bonehead...

He didnt know anyone touched the ball...

Dont think he even knew the rule...

He does stupid things most every game.. he gets away with it because of the great plays he can make...

Id like to see him play a hard smart game... And stay away from the dumb bonehead mistakes hes prone to make...

Bonehead...

He didnt know anyone touched the ball...

Dont think he even knew the rule...

He does stupid things most every game.. he gets away with it because of the great plays he can make...

Id like to see him play a hard smart game... And stay away from the dumb bonehead mistakes hes prone to make...

AMEN...I like Sean also but he makes stupid mistakes every game...he has the talent of a Ed Reed and that Pittsburgh guy (who I will not attempt to spell name) but he will not be mentioned in the same breath as them until he stops doing dumb stuff...he has won games for us but he has cost us games also

We saw this again when he caught the interception in the end zone, where he should have just knell down, instead he ran out and tried to make a play and then get enough sense to run out of bounds.

I didn't see it that way....he wasn't touched, ran the ball back out to the 20-25 yard line and then stepped out....didn't make any moves or anything...I didn't see that as trying to make a play at all...I think he would have knealt in the endzone if there were more Panther players around him, but there wasn't anyone near him for at least 30 yards out, so he brought the ball out as far as he could and stepped out of bounds....nothing wrong with that at all....

I didn't see it that way....he wasn't touched, ran the ball back out to the 20-25 yard line and then stepped out....didn't make any moves or anything...I didn't see that as trying to make a play at all...I think he would have knealt in the endzone if there were more Panther players around him, but there wasn't anyone near him for at least 30 yards out, so he brought the ball out as far as he could and stepped out of bounds....nothing wrong with that at all....

Oh shut up, there's no room for logic here. I hate Sean Taylor and I'm just going to make things up, be ridiculously unappreciative, hate on him for making brilliant plays, and consistently show that I don't watch the games and that I have no idea what's going on.

I love ST, but I feel that he did not recognize a Panther had touched it therefore whatever he did could never hurt the team - he was just trying to make a play because he has returned turnovers for TD's many times. We saw this again when he caught the interception in the end zone, where he should have just knell down, instead he ran out and tried to make a play and then get enough sense to run out of bounds.

There's nothing wrong with this. He's playmaker and was just trying to do this thing. He'll gain experience and make better decisions.

What? This guy has done nothing but make fantastic plays his whole three-year career, but suddenly he doesn't know a rule in football? He's a professional football player who's been playing his whole life, but you think that some random guys on a messageboard know more than he does about the sport? Ridiculous.

And why would he kneel down? We needed to waste time, and he wasn't touched. The only Panther back there was already knocked on his backside, so there was no threat of being stripped. Again, another magnificent play that a couple of "boneheads" on this board are literally too ignorant, and yes, that's the correct usage of the word, to appreciate, so they'll just bash him.

:doh:

Oh shut up, there's no room for logic here. I hate Sean Taylor and I'm just going to make things up, be ridiculously unappreciative, hate on him for making brilliant plays, and consistently show that I don't watch the games and that I have no idea what's going on.

I'm not attacking you bro...chill out...I was giving my response to who ever said that ST should have just knealt down in the endzone....him running it out had nothing to do with making a play, cause he stepped out when a defender got near...there was no one within 30 yards of him when he brought the ball out....no harm in doing that at all....you see it all the time when an interception happens late, and the guy with the ball runs and either slides at the end or steps out of bounds...if he (ST) was trying to make a play there would have been zig-zagging and other jukes....he made good football plays all day...

*anyone catch the freudian slip by Hoculi when he called ST for the 5 yard penalty when it was Shawn Springs? Not the first time Taylor has been mistaken for another player on the field penalty wise

I'm not attacking you bro...chill out...I was giving my response to who ever said that ST should have just knealt down in the endzone....him running it out had nothing to do with making a play, cause he stepped out when a defender got near...there was no one within 30 yards of him when he brought the ball out....no harm in doing that at all....you see it all the time when an interception happens late, and the guy with the ball runs and either slides at the end or steps out of bounds...if he (ST) was trying to make a play there would have been zig-zagging and other jukes....he made good football plays all day...

*anyone catch the freudian slip by Hoculi when he called ST for the 5 yard penalty when it was Shawn Springs? Not the first time Taylor has been mistaken for another player on the field penalty wise

Hahaha, sorry, I thought that my sarcasm came across loud and clear. I'm definitely on your side; that was yet another BRILLIANT play by the only man whose jersey I own.

And yes, I was just about to post about them effing up the call on Springs and putting it on Taylor. I hate the officials.

Archived