Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Red Auerbach dies at 89

nelms

Not quite they are both tied for most championships as a coach.

Red Auerbach got all his in one place.

Jackson, like Parcells, is a hired mercenary. When Jackson can build a dynasty from scratch and dominate with it(both coaching and from the front office), get back to me.

Until that time, Jackson is what he is...a bandwagon jumper coach.

Red Auerbach got all his in one place.

Jackson, like Parcells, is a hired mercenary. When Jackson can build a dynasty from scratch and dominate with it(both coaching and from the front office), get back to me.

Until that time, Jackson is what he is...a bandwagon jumper coach.

True dat!!!!

Got his first head coaching job in DC, I believe, for whatever the pro team was way back then... Generals? I think he even won a championship in DC back in the 40s.

It was the Capitols and, yes, they won an NBA title. When the Bullets won their only title in 1977, all the sports reporters back then we're talking about the fact it was Washington, DC's first national championship since that Capitols team.

Red Auerbach's offices were down the street from the campus of American University, my alma mater. Often, he scouted players at AU's basketball games and I'd see him in the stands. I never approached him because I didn't want to bother him. Man, I wish I had now. I have to admire the fact that he put an all-black starting line-up on the floor in a very racially divided city. That was gusty!

R.I.P., Mr. Auerbach.

I was a Celtic fan growing up and was always curious as to who that old guy with the cigar was who kept showing up on the TV cameras, I soon found out.

Red was an incredible basketball mind and an incredible human being. One thing most people dont knwo about Red is that he lived in Washington for most of his adult life, even while coaching the Celtics. I urge everyone on this board to pick up and read John Feinstein's book "Let me tell you a Story" about Red's basketball life and how John came to know Red, through weekly lunches at the China Doll Resturaunt in DC.

The combination of Red's amazing life and Feinstiens storytelling that goes beyond the actual subject make for a great read, and for those DC junkies, there are tons of references to local DC sports icons and the like; from HS coaches to GW players, Secret Srvice agents and of course Len Bias.

Red, thank you for all you did on the court an off, you will be missed.:notworthy

There was nothing like going to a GW basketball game and seeing Red in the stands almost every other game or so. You were watching a basketball game feet from a living legend. It was always funny to be at a game and hear a freshman ask why ONE seat in the entire stadium at half court was red. Quickly they would learn about the man that would sit there. RIP RED!

Guest Gichin13

I was honestly pretty crushed to hear he died. My grandfather, who passed in 2000, just loved Red. I was a Doctor J fan, god I hated that damn cigar.

One of my fondest memories was in 1976. I was nine years old. I snuck out onto the back porch and fired up the TV. I actually watched the entire triple overtime game 5 in the garden. I will never forget Gar Heard drilling the rainbow to put it into triple overtime. Havlichek and Jo Jo White were total bad asses. People forget how good Paul Westphal was too ...

Red was an incredible coach and an incredible guy. Smoking the Warriors to get Parrish and McHale is probably the single most abusive trade in NBA history. Red swapping picks to get Russell by getting the team ahead the Ice Capades, unbelievable. What an incredible guy.

The Celtics long decline, starting with the single worst basketball moment of Len Bias dying, has really hurt the league and I am sure it crushed Red. Regardless, what a legacy. Him and John Wooden are alone in the coaching pantheon for me ...

Archived