Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

8-2 or we're through

RedzoneHunter

Last year we were 5-6 after week 11. Someone hung up a sign in the Redskins locker room that read, "5 in a row or we don't go." The players took that to heart and responded with great effort, one game at a time, and won the five games straight they needed to make the playoffs.

This year, with a much tougher schedule, the run to the playoffs appears to be slipping away fast. After going 2-4 with the easy part of the schedule, and losing games we should have won, we're now looking at "8-2 or we're through."

Here's our remaining schedule:

10/22 @ Colts4:15pm ET

11/5 vs. Cowboys1pm ET

11/12 @ Eagles1pm ET

11/19 @ Buccaneers1pm ET

11/26 vs. Panthers1pm ET

12/3 vs. Falcons1pm ET

12/10 vs. Eagles1pm ET

12/17 @ Saints1pm ET

12/24 @ Rams1pm ET

12/30 vs. Giants8pm ET

It's very plain to see we have backed ourselves in a corner. With 5 tough away games remaining, we must win 3 of them, and all of our remaining home games to pull this off. If we thought winning 5 in a row was tough, what we're looking at now appears to be impossible odds. It also appears that if things don't go well, Jason Campbell may be our starting quarterback by Nov. 12th or 19th.

It's not over, though, until the fat lady sings, but she's not even on the stage yet. It's time to go take what we want and stop giving it away! It's time to see what we're made of! It's time to fight like dogs backed into a corner!

Even if the Skins finish at 10-6, their conference record is is still going to hurt them. If you're counting loses at Indy and at Philly, that gives them 4 conference loses. Other teams like the Saints and the Rams are probably going to have better records given where they're at right now.

Even if the Skins finish at 10-6, their conference record is is still going to hurt them. If you're counting loses at Indy and at Philly, that gives them 4 conference loses. Other teams like the Saints and the Rams are probably going to have better records given where they're at right now.

Things change.

I think you guys are grasping at straws. Last year's team, even when losing, showed some grit and competitive fire. They lost games on the road at Denver, KC, and TB, and at home vs the Chargers that were just 1-2 plays away from being huge wins. Yes, they had a couple of bad losses (vs the Raiders -simply a letdown game, and at the Giants - the Mara lovefest), but every team has a couple of those.

What I see this year is different. We're not in the game mentally, we're not intense, we're not losing close hard-fought games. We're getting outworked, outcoached, and outplayed.

I'd love to think we could pull off a miracle turn-around season, and with Gibbs you can never count them out completely, but I see nothing that gives me confidence we have what it takes so far.

Sadly, I just don't see it.

What I'm hoping for is this.:fingersx:

We beat Indy next week(we match up good against them) 3-4

We win the remaining home games against Divison opponents. (Dallas,Eagles and Giants.) 6-4

We steal one at Philly(this is another good match up game for us) 7-4

Then we need to win 3 out of 5 against (Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, Saints and Rams) 10-6

This would put us at 10-6 with a possible chance at the divison and a good chance at a wild card.

I honestly believe that we can do it... With losses @ Colts and @ Philly.

No doubt, it certainly is possible. Stranger things have happened, but from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look very good at all. To me it's a win-win situation. If they do it, great! But if not, I'm excited about seeing Jason Campbell get some very valuable playing experience, and once he gets that, there will be no looking back. He will end up being the starter next year!

I think you guys are grasping at straws. Last year's team, even when losing, showed some grit and competitive fire. They lost games on the road at Denver, KC, and TB, and at home vs the Chargers that were just 1-2 plays away from being huge wins. Yes, they had a couple of bad losses (vs the Raiders -simply a letdown game, and at the Giants - the Mara lovefest), but every team has a couple of those.

What I see this year is different. We're not in the game mentally, we're not intense, we're not losing close hard-fought games. We're getting outworked, outcoached, and outplayed.

I'd love to think we could pull off a miracle turn-around season, and with Gibbs you can never count them out completely, but I see nothing that gives me confidence we have what it takes so far.

Sadly, I just don't see it.

I agree. We should have beaten KC and Denver last year. Defensively we are night and day from last years team. Actually we are on Offense as well. We were more physical on both sides of the ball, especially on defence. Thes year, we are getting man-handled on both sides. Last year it was a matter of getting a couple of decent breaks, were we competetive. This year, we are getting our butts kicked and really havent come to play at all with the exception of the Jax game. Last year, we just need some breaks to go our way, this year we need the entire team to all of a sudden completely change. It's not going to happen, sadly. :(

If you were a betting man, you need odds to take this.

Seriously, the team has not shown they can be connsistent. Run the ball against a good Jax line, then get three rushing first downs against the Giants?

This team needs to gel quickly, and they need to show it in Indy.

Even if we LOSE vs. the Colts - we have 2 weeks to save our season and 2 weeks to prepare for a dogfight w/ Dallas at home. 2 weeks is a LONG time to stew and lick wounds. It's a lot of time for Gibbs and company to mend the broken pieces. Maybe time to consider a quarterback change. Maybe time to consider who should be calling the plays on offense or at the very least dictate what our philosophy actually IS on offense. 2 weeks for the defense to heal - we have some injuries and despite the players saying they are ok - 2 weeks of rest will help them.

Now, if they come out after a loss to the Colts and lay another egg at home vs. the Girls I will officially concede that the season is over. If they come out with fight and determination and lose then even after a loss I will still have hope.

A lot can happen in the NFL in 2 weeks.

this looks bleak.

Granted, it does look pretty bleak, but then again, so did 5-6 last year. In any event, we're about to see what we're made of.

I know that "8-2 or we're through" can change to "8-1 or we're done" as early as this Sunday, but sometimes strange things happen when you back an animal in a corner.

Archived