Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Insight into Saunders' offense from Lloyds mouth

congo4269

First off, sorry if this was posted... I did multiple searches. For those of you that missed it, last night on XXX Radio, Bram and Lloyd were discussing the Colts and how Manning audibles so much, when Bram turned it around and asked BL how often they audible. He said THEY HAD NO AUDIBLES WHATSOEVER. Instead, he said they have 'hot routes' where every receiver reads the coverage when they get to the line and might slightly alter their route accordingly (he gave the example that portis might go out in the flat instead of blocking if he reads a linebacker blitz). But other than that, they have set routes that never change, no matter what defense they are facing when they get out there.

I think this might be a big part of why the offense is 'so hard to get used to'. Everyone has to be on the same page on every play, as route-changing decisions are in the hands of the receivers, not the QB. That puts a lot of pressure on the QB, because they in turn have to know what the receivers will do on any given play. Makes more sense now why Collins said it takes a year to get used to the offense, and why Campbell might still be struggling to grasp it.

I just can't fathom how they couldn't have audibles, though (Lloyd stressed that they had none at all). I'm hoping Saunders hot route system is more effective in the long run, as it clearly isn't working yet. Not giving up hope yet, though; I'm just as dissapointed as some of you that are calling for Saunders' pink slip, but I'm willing to give it some more time even if it takes a season. And to all you fairweather fans, let me know if you had season tickets you're looking to get rid of, because I have plenty of friends and relatives that *STILL* bleed burgandy and gold that would love to get their hands on them.

HTTMFS

I still "Bleed the Burgandy and Gold," but I am not a homer.

At 2-4 my Redskins suck.

It is a fact, look at the record. We just lost to a previously 0-5 team (now 1-5).

Don't call your fellow fans "fairweather" because they acknowledge that their team is majorly sucking at this point in the season.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

I really hate it when people on this site call out anyone that isn't a complete homer.

:mad:

ditto on portisfans fair eather comments.

as for the route changes...prior to Sunday's games Jaws had an excellent analysis on how the Bears wideouts were adjusting routes based on what the defenses were doing. His point was that the receivers were making the correct reads and that the QB was as well.......they were all on the same page as it were. somewhere...that is not happening in good ole DC....

Sounds like Spurriers system :lol

You're talking about Indy, right? Because that is pretty much how Spurrier's system works - a play is called in the huddle, but if the QB reads a better play at the line, he audibles to it.

The problem is that defenses disguise things a lot better in the pros. If you have a Peyton Manning doing the audibling, it works a lot better. Wuerffel could actually do it pretty well, he just didn't have the physical skill to make it work at the professional level.

But I think the "no audibles" thing is typical for those coming from the Coryell tree of coaching. It's handled through sight adjustments rather than audibly.

I remember watching an interview with Brunell during last season, where he said he would never consider changing (hence, audible) a play called by Joe Gibbs.

This makes me think that maybe the issue of calling an audible isn't entirely dependent on just the particular offense being run (last year Gibbs, this year Saunders). It could be an "across the board" philosophy that's been maintained.

At 2-4 my Redskins suck.

It is a fact, look at the record. We just lost to a previously 0-5 team (now 1-5).

Don't call your fellow fans "fairweather" because they acknowledge that their team is majorly sucking at this point in the season.

I really hate it when people on this site call out anyone that isn't a complete homer.

Go do your homework! Its pizza night and your Mom's making brownies. Get off the internet and do your homework damnit, if you want pizza and brownies!

Get to it NOW, :whippin:

Your Daddy

At 2-4 my Redskins suck.

It works both ways, amgio, "homer"-calling-"fairweather" and "fairweather"-calling-"homer" and I wish it wasn't part of the landscape either but it is and it likely will always be with any such large membership.

FWIW, I have always seen a lot more "homer" and "kool-aid drining" rhetoric here over time than the "fairweather" stuff, but that really doesn't mean much.

Its all in the expectations of the team. We expected Miami in Feb this year because of all the offseason spending, but noone took into account how long it would take to build the frieght train Gibbs has been purchasing piece by piece. We arent put together yet. This offense WILL be as good as the Chiefs... in time. How long did it take to get KC off the ground when Saunders go there. We have seen glimpses of what the team WILL do, but the expectations have been taking their toll out on the fans.

This makes me think that maybe the issue of calling an audible isn't entirely dependent on just the particular offense being run (last year Gibbs, this year Saunders). It could be an "across the board" philosophy that's been maintained.

This is true. It's not exactly as if audibling was a feature of the O previously. People really need to stop looking at Saunders and look at other contributing factors.

You're talking about Indy, right? Because that is pretty much how Spurrier's system works - a play is called in the huddle, but if the QB reads a better play at the line, he audibles to it.

The problem is that defenses disguise things a lot better in the pros. If you have a Peyton Manning doing the audibling, it works a lot better. Wuerffel could actually do it pretty well, he just didn't have the physical skill to make it work at the professional level.

But I think the "no audibles" thing is typical for those coming from the Coryell tree of coaching. It's handled through sight adjustments rather than audibly.

That's not how Indy works.

Indy's system is this:

1. Tom Moore sends in three plays to Peyton Manning. Two running plays and one pass play.

2. Manning takes the team to the line.

3. Based on what the defense shows, Manning chooses the play.

Portisfan101 is right. People get blasted on here when they say the skins suck when they do suck. Just bc a fan thinks his team sucks doesnt mean he is a fairweather fan. Me and Portisfan101 will always be skin fans and not fairweather.....even if the skins do suck.

Portisfan101 is right. People get blasted on here when they say the skins suck when they do suck. Just bc a fan thinks his team sucks doesnt mean he is a fairweather fan. Me and Portisfan101 will always be skin fans and not fairweather.....even if the skins do suck.

And I couldn't agree more. Some of you seemed to have blown my comment out of proportion... by fairweather fan, I meant those of you that are starting threads like 'My last post as a redskins fan'. Although I do not agree with your assesment that the skins 'suck', I respect your right to make that assesment. However, I do not respect anyone that has turned their back on this team and no longer supports them. I am confident that we will get back on track, and am willing to wait for this offense to come together.

Archived