Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Redskins assistant Saunders 'not happy' with Portis late rest

PCRoughrider

Washington running back took himself out of game vs. Jaguars

By Joseph White

The Associated Press

October 4, 2006, 6:08 PM EDT

ASHBURN, Va. -- When Clinton Portis took himself out with the game with the score tied late in the fourth quarter, the coach calling the plays was far from pleased.

"I was not happy about that," Washington Redskins assistant Al Saunders said Wednesday.

Portis, who decides when he plays and when he sits, decided to sit mid-drive with the score tied at 27 and the ball in the opponent's territory in Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Ladell Betts entered and ran the ball on the next three plays, including a third-and-1 that he failed to convert.

"The first thing that went through my mind: 'Why are you coming out?'" Saunders said. "I talked to Clinton about that today. There's a scenario, and you're trying to set up things sometimes. And if he comes out to--quote, as he said--'recover,' it sometimes really throws you off."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-skins1004,0,2983614.story?coll=bal-sports-more

Joseph White stirring up the :pooh: again. :rolleyes:

He carried the ball 27 times Sunday. I think Portis knows his limits and we might've been even less happy with the results if Portis stayed in when he needed some time out. I can understand Saunders being mad since he's the one calling the shots but I dont understand why he has to tell the media.

This could be interesting if true...not because of the situation...but more because of HOW it is in the papers. Gibbs will not be happy if Saunders is calling out Portis. This might also be a relationship to watch if and when Gibbs leaves. Hopefully it is nothing and will be handled in house. We need NO drama right now.Hopefully this guy is a hater tryin to stir stuff up.:logo:

Ok... IF Portis is getting an ego about his importance to our offense, I would like to think that there are plenty of people on the team and the coaching staff that could straighten him out.

Now yes, it is clear that we need him more than anything. But I don't want a guy on our team that chooses when he will and will not play. That's called T.O.

This could be interesting if true...not because of the situation...but more because of HOW it is in the papers. Gibbs will not be happy if Saunders is calling out Portis. This might also be a relationship to watch if and when Gibbs leaves. Hopefully it is nothing and will be handled in house. We need NO drama right now.Hopefully this guy is a hater tryin to stir stuff up.:logo:

If any of this is true, then I agree with you.

I can't see Gibbs being happy about this.

Gibbs does not run down or call out players in public or in the press.

I'm sure he doesn't want his assistant coaches doing so, either.

why wouldnt you believe it. It has a valid link. This is a problem that needs to be addressed. I can see Saunders POV and Gibbs/Portis' side as well. There needs to be some sort of system installed that would give Saunders a heads up before Portis comes out. I dont like the trash talk about Arrington though. Whats the point of adding fuel to the fire. They are not only insulting Arrington, but the whole NY team. Just like if Shockey had called Portis a bum or something. The whole team would be fighting for Portis

While I wish the laundry wasn't being aired in the press, I gotta side with Saunders on this one.

The playcaller has to have an idea who he's going to have in there, especially in crunch time. This will get ironed out, hopefully with no residual hard feelings.

Archived