Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox "News" labels Foley as a DEM during O'Reilly Factor!

roqnap1

My guess is that it was just a mistake. It's not like everyone in the damn world doesn't know that he's a republican now. Fox News may be ridiculously biased, but they aren't stupid.

If I had to guess, I'd guess it wasn't a simple mistake and here's why: if it were a mistake it would have been caught immediately and then the next time they showed him they would have simply corrected it and labeled him the way they do every other politician. The fact that they did not label him a Republican afterwards makes me think that someone thought they could try to plant a subliminal seed.

People talk about the Post and the Times as having a liberal slant and they may. The difference is that FOX doesn't have a conservative slant they take the conservative position and all their news is filtered through that.

It's not like everyone in the damn world doesn't know that he's a republican now. Fox News may be ridiculously biased, but they aren't stupid.

People's minds are very easy to influence. You'd be surprised how much effect things like these can cause.

For example, do you think Fox News may have been avoiding mentioning word "Republican" and "Foley" in the same sentence? Saying "Congressman Mark Foley" instead of "Republican Congressman Mark Foley"? Just like New York Times probably made sure to write "Republican" as many times as possible? That kind of stuff is everywhere, it should not really surprise anybody. Putting it in writing takes takes big balls though, I'll give Fox that.

As for people knowing Foley is a Republican... That alone is not enough for people to dismiss that "D-FL". There are many pathways for information in our brains. Processing of information is massively parallel. You can know that Foley is a Rep in one part of the brain and still have other parts of the brain affected by the "D-FL". That is a known and well tested phonomenon.

Not quite the same as the X on Cheney .. (this seemed like they were wiping him out).

This is a party affiliation switch: who cares? Does it matter that he was a Dem or Repub while preying on little boys? (totally on purpose)...

Alert* Fox news leans republican:

Alert* NY Times leans democrat:

just for those that didn't know on a deserted island.

Again, cool-aid/Kool-aid should never be used in any post you consider a "discussion".

It's not even a lean. It's flat out propaganda. This is a time honored tradition in that respect, and the problem is as you said "who cares"..

Most people still don't. Most people still allow themselves to be led around by the nose by the major "news" agencies and their straight up propaganda. They are barely trying to hide it anymore.

Our press has been so severely compromised that it can barely be trusted at all, and as you said,, "who cares".

~Bang

People talk about the Post and the Times as having a liberal slant and they may. The difference is that FOX doesn't have a conservative slant they take the conservative position and all their news is filtered through that.

That's a good point. There is a difference between putting a slant on the news and creating reality-inspired propaganda items.

Are you establishing a link between homosexuality and pedophilia? Your the last one I expected it to come from. ;)

No, I'm saying that this is NOW......and linking a Gay Congressman who's admitted to inappropriate contact with a minor to Dems is not even in the same universe as AWOL Presidents.

People's minds are very easy to influence. You'd be surprised how much effect things like these can cause.

For example, do you think Fox News may have been avoiding mentioning word "Republican" and "Foley" in the same sentence? Saying "Congressman Mark Foley" instead of "Republican Congressman Mark Foley"? Just like New York Times probably made sure to write "Republican" as many times as possible? That kind of stuff is everywhere, it should not really surprise anybody. Putting it in writing takes takes big balls though, I'll give Fox that.

As for people knowing Foley is a Republican... That alone is not enough for people to dismiss that "D-FL". There are many pathways for information in our brains. Processing of information is massively parallel. You can know that Foley is a Rep in one part of the brain and still have other parts of the brain affected by the "D-FL". That is a known and well tested phonomenon.

You just have a higher opinion of the American public than I do if you think that this is registering with them in two different pathways. I would be willing to venture that a healthy percentage of americans don't even know what "D-FL" or "R-FL" means. (Keep in mind that we live in a country where statistically, the majority cannot name who the current vice-president is.)

Those that do most likely have heard from multiple sources by now that Foley is a republican. I would think the fact that the speaker of the house being fitted for a rail based on what he did/did not know would be a fairly solid indication of that.

Try researching old newspapers from the 1800's. THen you'll really see "yellow" journalism.

I lived in the USSR until the age of 15... I really do know how not to take news seriously ;) The strange part is seing this happen for reasons other than fear for one's life.

You just have a higher opinion of the American public than I do if you think that this is registering with them in two different pathways.

It is not a matter of opinion but that of biology.

We are all constituted in a similar way and our nervous systems follow same basic principles and have pretty much the same number of pathways.

If anything, the difference is that of neural plasticity and emotional intelligenece. Neural plasticity is essentiually the ability to learn, also known as the ability to change one's mind. Learning changes one's mind, if you think about it... Emotional intelligence is important because emotional centers are primal and sit at the "dispatch" portion of the brain, thus having a much greater effect on us than many people would like to imagine.

I would be willing to venture that a healthy percentage of americans don't even know what "D-FL" or "R-FL" means. (Keep in mind that we live in a country where statistically, the majority cannot name who the current vice-president is.)

True, but think about it this way. Our brain is responsible for putting together a coherent picture of the world based on a HUGE number of quite different inputs. It picks up much, much, much more information than we are aware of. Awareness is a tool that is only brought into action when needed.

For example, our brain makes predictions. Millions of predictions, all the time. Imagine you are walking, for example. Your feet are hitting the ground as your brain expects. You are not actually aware of how each one of your feet touches the ground. The second a prediction does not work, however, you will suddenly become aware. Awareness will be brought about to resolve the situation and help you learn to make better predictions in the future.

This process can also work the other way around. It can be used to dull awareness. All one has to do is allow one's brain to feel like predictions are working just fine. More over, our brains like to think that they are good at predicting. Being good at predicting means they are good at dealing with the outside world, which ensures survival. The brain will feel anxiety if it feels that it is not being good at predicting. Brain will naturally try to avoid anxiety.

For example, let us take a brain that does not expect a Republican to act the way Foley did. Mentioning "Republican Foley" will suggest that brain's prediction was wrong. That creates anxiety, etc. What can we do to avoid this? We can minimize flow of information that would create such anxiety. Brains that do not want to get anxious will eagerly pick up anything to reassure themselves. Move along awareness, nothing to see here.

We Report...You Decide

Call it a "liberal press" all you want...but leave it to the Right to take it to a new low...

No one F'd up. Any good propagandist worth their salt knows the first thing to do in a crisis is distance from the condemned, and use him to condemn your enemies.

And America continues to lap it up.

~Bang

From the "No Spin Zone" HILLARIUOS!!!!

And people wonder why we watch Fox News and listen to Limbaugh. . .

And what little bit of credibility this two bit propaganda machine had left is gone... Millions of people will still drink the cool aid though.
I won't hold my breathe waiting for the correction appology from Bushnews :laugh:
They don't call it Faux News for nothing!

Yeah, I'm sure you people were all over CNN for putting X's over Cheney, too. I'm shocked that people here can be so foolish.

What is more likely?:

A: Technical error by some tech person.

B: Fox News is conspiring to make people believe that Foley is actually a democrat, when people will obviously be able to find out he is a republican is many other ways. Obviously somebody will catch the error and report it as Fox News being biased. Fox apparently not caring about that.

Just checked his history, been a Repub all his life

Maybe someone at Fox News just thought he was a Dem because of his Dem like behavior:laugh:

Seriously though, that's effed up if it was done on purpose

And you wonder why people don't typically consider Fox News to be a reputable news source...

Not quite the same as the X on Cheney .. (this seemed like they were wiping him out).

This is a party affiliation switch: who cares? Does it matter that he was a Dem or Repub while preying on little boys? (totally on purpose)...

It doesn't matter in the context of the act. It DOES matter in the context of how the act influences voters. I can guarantee you'd be complaining if NBC relabeled Bill Clinton as a Republican during the Monica Lewinski ordeal.

B: Fox News is conspiring to make people believe that Foley is actually a democrat, when people will obviously be able to find out he is a republican is many other ways.

This view takes a very simplistic stance on our nervous system, along with completely dismissing effectiveness of propaganda.

Please refer to:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3026534&postcount=28

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3026674&postcount=39

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

This view takes a very simplistic stance on our nervous system and the way it makes propaganda a very effective tool.

No, it does not. Get your head out of the science book and into real life.

Occam's Razor "All things being equal, the simplest explanation is the best one."

What is more likely?:

A: Technical error by some tech person.

B: Fox News is conspiring to make people believe that Foley is actually a democrat, when people will obviously be able to find out he is a republican is many other ways. Obviously somebody will catch the error and report it as Fox News being biased. Fox apparently not caring about that.

You forgot...

C: Fox News conspiring to make the Mark Foley incident reflect poorly on Democrats to a population of its viewers that do not tend to pay much attention to the general media. Once said conspiracy is pointed out, Fox News "corrects" the mistake (stops affiliating Foley with any party) and chalks it up to "technical error by some tech person".

I think option C makes the most sense. If I ran a news station with an agenda, I'd go with C.

No, it does not. Get your head out of the science book and into real life.

You seem to suggest those are mutually exclusive. Let me reassure you that they are not ;)

Occam's Razor "All things being equal, the simplest explanation is the best one."

I believe what I quoted was not an an explanation.

Also, remember not to ignore that pesky All things being equal part.

"B: Fox News is conspiring to make people believe that Foley is actually a democrat, when people will obviously be able to find out he is a republican is many other ways."

Do you suggest that "D-FL" will have no effect since "peopple will obviouly be able to find out"?

You forgot...

C: Fox News conspiring to make the Mark Foley incident reflect poorly on Democrats to a population of its viewers that do not tend to pay much attention to the general media. Once said conspiracy is pointed out, Fox News "corrects" the mistake (stops affiliating Foley with any party) and chalks it up to "technical error by some tech person".

I think option C makes the most sense.

I didn't forget. I purposely did not include that as "option C" because I did not want people to mistake me for a mentally retarded person.

I'm sure you were saying the exact same things about CNN with the Cheney X's thing.

Do you suggest that "D-FL" will have no effect since "peopple will obviouly be able to find out"?

I suggest that the most likely scenario was an honest mistake. Similar to the honest mistake CNN made when it put X's over the screen when the Vice President of the United States was speaking.

Consider the relative number of people who saw this typo on Fox News.

1: Take the entire population of the United States

2: Take the number of those people who have TV sets

3: Take the number of people who have cable or satellite TV

4. Take the number of people who watched Fox News during that show

5. Take the number of people who get their news from no other source

6. Take the number of those people who will vote

7: Take the number of those people who will change their vote because it says "Dem" instead of "Rep"

Now consider how many emails, blogs, discussion forums, websites and radio stations that have already pointed out the Fox News mistake today.

BTW, anyone else hear about FOX news ratings being in the dumpster?

This crap again? Midnight giving random anti-republican statements in every thread. What a shocker. You need to work on your schtick.

No, I didn't hear that about Fox News. I did hear that Fox News has tripled it's ratings in the past year. I also heard that CNN might go out of business because of Fox News. That's what I have "heard".

Archived