Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you accentuate & yell "O!" during the national anthem...

E-Dog Night

The deal is, it doesn't matter if you're a fan of the O's or not. It's rude and disrespectful to the National Anthem, the person singing, the colorguard, the people who've gone before us, and all that the anthem represents. How flawed is your logic where you think it makes sense to yell "O!" when you've removed your hat, put your hand on your heart, bowed your head, or were soluting the American flag? It just doesn't make sense.

The fact is, the people who yell this don't really think about it or care about the anthem.

I'm always so embarrased and ashamed of the metro-DC sports fans when this happens. It makes me cringe.

Thank you E-Dog for bringing this up. Not a thread I wanted to start with my whopping post count, but something that has irked me for quite a while.

Through all of the losses in the past couple years, during the Norval years, through the Spurrier era, through the great Bruce Smith record quest, the Deion saga etc. - the only times I have ever felt any embarrassment being a Redskin fan is during the singing of the National Anthem. Especially during national TV appearances such as this past Sept. 11th when they actually cover the song live.

This song is not about a sports team - this song is not about a geographic region - This song is about the United States of America and everyone that has fought, toiled, and struggled to make it what it is. Give them and the song the respect it deserves.

I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion - and this is not an anti-O's rant (I grew up during the Ripken era and loved the team then) - this is purely my opinion on this "trivial" manner.

I don't really like it but I would have to point out that Redskins country and especially FedExField is also Orioles country. It is not completely out of place...

Now let me point something out to you. Fed Ex Field is NOT Orioles country. It is Nationals country. Something you Orioles fans will just have to live with. I didn't know the skins had Baltimore on their jerseys. If you want to yell O go to a Ravens game.

Now let me point something out to you. Fed Ex Field is NOT Orioles country. It is Nationals country. Something you Orioles fans will just have to live with. I didn't know the skins had Baltimore on their jerseys. If you want to yell O go to a Ravens game.

My point exactly earlier...just better said....also big ups to the disrespecting America's National Anthem!! If you dont get why its disrespectful then you dont understand our national anthem.

Through all of the losses in the past couple years, during the Norval years, through the Spurrier era, through the great Bruce Smith record quest, the Deion saga etc. - the only times I have ever felt any embarrassment being a Redskin fan is during the singing of the National Anthem...This song is not about a sports team - this song is not about a geographic region - This song is about the United States of America and everyone that has fought, toiled, and struggled to make it what it is. Give them and the song the respect it deserves.

Really well said, much better than I managed. Nice post.

Anything in Maryland is joint territory between the Orioles and Nats. 90% of my PG and MoCo friends are still Orioles fans and are pretty bleh when it comes to the Nats.

HOWEVER, you can do the "O'!" at ORIOLES games. OPACY is the acceptable place to do it. NOT at a Skins game. NOT at a Caps game. NOT at a Wiz game. DEF NOT at a Nats game.

Actually you're wrong. Please go look at the charters of the 2 teams. Oh and by the way I see Nats hats and gear everywhere in MOCO, Rarely O's stuff being worn. Guess your friends are in the minority. Seems that the tide is changing and your boy Peter has made a lot of people P.O'D! He could have had the best of both worlds. He chose not to.

The questions was is not whether the area can support 2 teams. It's about whether Baltimore can support its own. Judging by the attendance and the product on the field, that is still a question. The Nats move into new digs soon and after the farm system and organization is rebuilt, it may get worse.

I don't care whether or not it is Orioles country...

I don't even care if you are AT an Orioles game...

IT IS DISRESPECTFUL TO OUR ANTHEM !!!

The anthom is is a symbol of this country, not an opportunity to root for your team. Even if our name was the O'Skins I would not do this..

While we are talking about this, make sure you smack anyone who doesn't remove their hat during the anthem upside their head please. Same goes with those who are holding a conversation during it. I have seen both multiple instances at the stadium. We are the team of the nation's capital, lets act like it!!

I really hope that we can pass something to the stadium announcer before the next home game that reads, " please refer to the enclosed document and educate the fans before the singing of the national anthem," and enclose E-Dogg's rant.

OH! come on....I'm military and this doesn't even bother me. I mean, I'm the guy that knocks people's hats off their heads if they have them on during the anthem, but this is no big disrespect. The majority of people don't even know how it started (going to more than a few O's games when I was younger put me in the know), and these people are just getting involved with the anthem just as if they were singing along.

:logo:

theres nothing wrong with saying "O" at zards, caps, skins, or EVEN nats games... i know that at every nats game i go to 5 or 6 fans in the whole stadium give a big "O!" as a joke, and i laugh every time. but for the zards, caps, and skins games, it's just showing your team pride.

what is sad is when the phillies are in the midst of a wild card race, and their fans are chanting "fly eagles fly" the whole time

theres nothing wrong with saying "O" at zards, caps, skins, or EVEN nats games... i know that at every nats game i go to 5 or 6 fans in the whole stadium give a big "O!" as a joke, and i laugh every time. but for the zards, caps, and skins games, it's just showing your team pride.

what is sad is when the phillies are in the midst of a wild card race, and their fans are chanting "fly eagles fly" the whole time

Um I didn't know they are the Baltimore Wizards, The Baltimore Caps, etc etc. Show your team pride in Bmore!! Bmore couldn't support those 2 teams either.

Yelling during the anthem is a way for people to take advantage of the fact that the stadium is quiet for the most part. It's abusing the moment.

Trying not to make this any more political. But, I'm not military, and I have a deep respect for the anthem and the flag. I don't consider being military to being a qualifier for the subjective value of the National Anthem. As a 34-year old American, some things are almost sacred. The flag is one of them, the National Anthem, and what it symbolizes, is another.

Ah, this is a grey area; however, Baltimore has its own football team. Washington has its own baseball team. Neither the twain shall meet.

In any case, it's still disrespectful to the Anthem.

How many years did this town go without a baseball team to call it's own? I'm 29 years old, and up until two years ago the Orioles were the closest thing I had to a hometown team. During the pre-Angelos Era many of us had lots of fond memories going to see Cal Ripken and friends.

I grew up rooting for the Redskins, Bullets, Caps and Orioles. I love the Nats now, and out of respect for them will not scream out "Oh!" at their game. But I don't have a problem with the nostalgic fans who break it out at FedEx Field. I'm willing to bet these are the same people who miss the bouncing section on the visitor's sideline. They should keep on keepin' on.

And it's not disrespectful - it's a lyric to the anthem.

Archived