Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you accentuate & yell "O!" during the national anthem...

E-Dog Night

...have you ever asked yourself, "Why do I do that?"

I'm assuming that you do not know (which is utterly pathetic in its own right), because if you did know, you wouldn't do it. So allow me to enlighten you.

The whole thing started in the early 1970's in, of all places, Baltimore. The fans began to emphasize the 'O!' during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner, which sort of makes sense, since their baseball team is colloquially known as the O's. It makes entirely no sense, therefore, to do it at Redskins games.

If you are one of those that do yell 'O', and you're thinking to yourself, "who the hell are you to tell me what I can and can not do at a Redskins game?", let me try to put this in really simple terms so even a person like you can understand it.

1) You are copying a misguided tradition started in Baltimore. That should be enough for you to stop.

2) You are bringing baseball crap over to football. This should never happen.

3) Worst of all, you are ****IZING OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM! Have a little pride in all for which this song stands. Would you leave your hat on during the singing? Would you scratch your nuts with your right hand, instead of putting it over your heart?

OF COURSE NOT!

So stop doing it. If your neighbor does it, throw your beverage on his/her head, or at the very least, try to educate the offenders. After a few games, those knucklehead lemmings will develop a conditioned response to cease the idiocy.

Thank you. Carry on.

I don't really like it but I would have to point out that Redskins country and especially FedExField is also Orioles country. It is not completely out of place...

FEDEX IS NOT ORIOLES COUNTRY ANYMORE!! ITS NATIONALS COUNTRY!!

BALTIMORE OR NOT ITS STILL DISRESPECTFUL TO THE NATIONAL ANTHEM AND NEEDS TO STOP!!

:point2sky :point2sky to E-Dog for the Thread!!:applause: :cheers:

...have you ever asked yourself, "Why do I do that?"

I'm assuming that you do not know (which is utterly pathetic in its own right), because if you did know, you wouldn't do it. So allow me to enlighten you.

The whole thing started in the early 1970's in, of all places, Baltimore. The fans began to emphasize the 'O!' during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner, which sort of makes sense, since their baseball team is colloquially known as the O's. It makes entirely no sense, therefore, to do it at Redskins games.

If you are one of those that do yell 'O', and you're thinking to yourself, "who the hell are you to tell me what I can and can not do at a Redskins game?", let me try to put this in really simple terms so even a person like you can understand it.

1) You are copying a misguided tradition started in Baltimore. That should be enough for you to stop.

2) You are bringing baseball crap over to football. This should never happen.

3) Worst of all, you are ****IZING OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM! Have a little pride in all for which this song stands. Would you leave your hat on during the singing? Would you scratch your nuts with your right hand, instead of putting it over your heart?

OF COURSE NOT!

So stop doing it. If your neighbor does it, throw your beverage on his/her head, or at the very least, try to educate the offenders. After a few games, those knucklehead lemmings will develop a conditioned response to cease the idiocy.

Thank you. Carry on.

haha, great thread. I always wondered how and why that started, now i know :cheers:

now ill be sure to do it even louder at games :silly:

j/k

I don't really like it but I would have to point out that Redskins country and especially FedExField is also Orioles country. It is not completely out of place...

Ah, this is a grey area; however, Baltimore has its own football team. Washington has its own baseball team. Neither the twain shall meet.

In any case, it's still disrespectful to the Anthem.

I couldn't agree more. These people who yell "O" during the anthem are CLASSLESS LOSERS.

I've been wanting this to go away for the last decade or so. I was glad that DC got the Nats, because I thought (wrongly) that it'd make these people shut up. But, as it turns out, why would it? I suspect that most of these pathetic losers who show disrespect to our anthem are Baltimorons.

FEDEX IS NOT ORIOLES COUNTRY ANYMORE!! ITS NATIONALS COUNTRY!!

Sorry, its still Orioles territory. There are still plenty of people in Baltimore that didn't jump on the Ravens bandwagon even after the super bowl. Similarly there are many people in the DC area that didn't jump on the Nats bandwagon. Yesterday at the game I saw as many Orioles hats as I did Nationals hats.

Who cares?

Its our home, and I like the fact we have a conglomerate of teams to root for. Anything that makes it more like home, Im all for.

You go to Philly, and there are sixers and eagles jerseys everywhere at a Phillies game. Why? Because the fans root for their CITY and anything associated with it. I think its even more special that Skins fans, being a DC team, and O's fans, being a Baltimore team, still have that connection. Shows hometeam pride, and I dig it.

who cares....

Let me guess...you're an O!-er.

Apparently, a few people (you among them) care enough to respond. And anyone with enough pride in their anthem should care, IMO. It disgusts me to watch people leave their hats on and do other assinine nonsense while that song is sung.

Anything in Maryland is joint territory between the Orioles and Nats. 90% of my PG and MoCo friends are still Orioles fans and are pretty bleh when it comes to the Nats.

HOWEVER, you can do the "O'!" at ORIOLES games. OPACY is the acceptable place to do it. NOT at a Skins game. NOT at a Caps game. NOT at a Wiz game. DEF NOT at a Nats game.

First off, I have no idea what you're talking about...

Apart form that, how is saying "o" disrespectful if those are the lyrics?

Are people this bored that this is what you spend time being upset about?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then go to a Redskins game at FedEx Field.

It's disrespectful to the national anthem to screw with it. That's my opinion. It adds insult to injury to know that it's an Orioles thing. You want to do it at Camden Yards? Whatever. Keep that crap out of FedEx.

It's a pet peeve of mine. It's annoyed me greatly for a long time, and for whatever reason, I decided to voice my irratation today. It was fresh in my mind after going to the game yesterday.

Who cares?

Its our home, and I like the fact we have a conglomerate of teams to root for. Anything that makes it more like home, Im all for.

You go to Philly, and there are sixers and eagles jerseys everywhere at a Phillies game. Why? Because the fans root for their CITY and anything associated with it. I think its even more special that Skins fans, being a DC team, and O's fans, being a Baltimore team, still have that connection. Shows hometeam pride, and I dig it.

I honestly don't care about this subject, but you can't make a parallel between Philadelphia teams and the Baltimore "O" howl at a Washington stadium. A better example would be a guy wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform at a Phillies game. Or a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey at an Eagles game. And perhaps singing the Eagles fight song at a Pittsburgh Pirates game. You know what I mean.

It's not serious, but there is a bit of a rivalry between the city of Baltimore and Washington D.C. Those who live in Maryland can't possibly deny it. I mean you could say, "Well the O's are in a different league than the Nationals, so it's okay." Or "Well the Redskins are in a different conference than the Ravens, so it's okay." But deep down, there is a rift between the two cities.

I've had my fair share of snickering in the Baltimore area with my Nationals cap on, or my Portis jersey. At the same time around the D.C. area, I've snickered at someone wearing a Ravens cap and wearing a miguel tejada jersey. My whole family grew up around D.C., and the anti-baltimore sentiment is clearly visible.

Again, I don't care about this. But there is a rift between Washington and Baltimore that is there.

Archived