Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you accentuate & yell "O!" during the national anthem...

E-Dog Night

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My view on the issue - I find it incredibly ironic that people complain that it is disrespectful to the people who fought and died to give you the freedom we so enjoy in this country. You know the freedom to do things like make a jackass out of yourself during the national anthem.

Great point.

Seriously, I don't give a shat if it's disrespectful. It's a Maryland thing. The skins play in MARYLAND. You really shouldn't even bother trying to understand because you're really not going to change anyone's mind.

If you listen to various recording artists who sing the National Anthem at sporting events, they all put their own twists to the song and stress a different portion of the song diffferently. Nobody is adding parts to the song or taking anything away.. they are just stressing the "O". It may be annoying to some but, it is not in any way disrespecting our National Anthem. :2cents:
Well said, pg.

Is it disrespectful when the national anthem is sung in harmony? With runs in the middle? Was it disrespectful when Congress added the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance?

This is not some authoritarian country where the anthem is played from a recording before every single event and people can be jailed for failing to stand up. This is America and we have the freedom to express ourselves. Nobody is cursing during the anthem, and nobody is changing the words, they are simply rooting for their team while singing along.

It's not like this is some crazy anomaly that doesn't exist anywhere in the country. Baltimore fans yell "O!" Atlanta fans yell "Brave!" UVA fans yell "'Hoo!" Dallas fans yell "Star!" Cornell fans yell "Red!" Cal fans yell "C!"

The many different ways the anthem can be sung and the many different ways people add accents only shows how great this country really is.

Well said, pg.

Is it disrespectful when the national anthem is sung in harmony? With runs in the middle? Was it disrespectful when Congress added the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance?

This is not some authoritarian country where the anthem is played from a recording before every single event and people can be jailed for failing to stand up. This is America and we have the freedom to express ourselves. Nobody is cursing during the anthem, and nobody is changing the words, they are simply rooting for their team while singing along.

It's not like this is some crazy anomaly that doesn't exist anywhere in the country. Baltimore fans yell "O!" Atlanta fans yell "Brave!" UVA fans yell "'Hoo!" Dallas fans yell "Star!" Cornell fans yell "Red!" Cal fans yell "C!"

The many different ways the anthem can be sung and the many different ways people add accents only shows how great this country really is.

great post!

...have you ever asked yourself, "Why do I do that?"

I'm assuming that you do not know (which is utterly pathetic in its own right), because if you did know, you wouldn't do it. So allow me to enlighten you.

The whole thing started in the early 1970's in, of all places, Baltimore. The fans began to emphasize the 'O!' during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner, which sort of makes sense, since their baseball team is colloquially known as the O's. It makes entirely no sense, therefore, to do it at Redskins games.

If you are one of those that do yell 'O', and you're thinking to yourself, "who the hell are you to tell me what I can and can not do at a Redskins game?", let me try to put this in really simple terms so even a person like you can understand it.

1) You are copying a misguided tradition started in Baltimore. That should be enough for you to stop.

2) You are bringing baseball crap over to football. This should never happen.

3) Worst of all, you are ****IZING OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM! Have a little pride in all for which this song stands. Would you leave your hat on during the singing? Would you scratch your nuts with your right hand, instead of putting it over your heart?

OF COURSE NOT!

So stop doing it. If your neighbor does it, throw your beverage on his/her head, or at the very least, try to educate the offenders. After a few games, those knucklehead lemmings will develop a conditioned response to cease the idiocy.

Thank you. Carry on.

Being the son of a man who served in the Korean War and being a former Cub Scout, I have been screaming this for sooooooooooo long. And I get looked at funny when I shush the offenders? Sadly, these same morons do it at Caps games, too!

To put it in simple terms, this ain't Baltimore! Show some class and act like you have some sense! Thank you!

I couldn't agree more. These people who yell "O" during the anthem are CLASSLESS LOSERS.

I've been wanting this to go away for the last decade or so. I was glad that DC got the Nats, because I thought (wrongly) that it'd make these people shut up. But, as it turns out, why would it? I suspect that most of these pathetic losers who show disrespect to our anthem are Baltimorons.

The lyrics to your national anthem were written in Maryland and the people saying O are doing it in Maryland, OK? And on the subject of reverance, the tune is an old English drinking song.

Jeez, lighten up.

I guess you guys hated it when Hendrix played the song unconventionally at Woodstock too.

BTW, great post DjTj.

When do they yell it? I can only think of the Oh in "Oh say can you see?". I don't see anywhere else in the anthem where that would be appropriate. If you're yelling out O when it is supposed to be "of" then you are being disrespectful of the anthem. I say that because it doesn't even fit the song. I don't have any problem with emphasizing words such as "Brave" that are in the song, but you shouldn't be adding to or changing the anthem.

MC

I hate it and created a similar thread to this one several years ago on this very forum. I think it is disrespectful and has no place in the National Anthem either in Washington, D.C. or Baltimore. I also agree that D.C. is Nationals country before it is Orioles country, but both would come after the Redskins.

Sorry, its still Orioles territory. There are still plenty of people in Baltimore that didn't jump on the Ravens bandwagon even after the super bowl. Similarly there are many people in the DC area that didn't jump on the Nats bandwagon. Yesterday at the game I saw as many Orioles hats as I did Nationals hats.

I got to totally agree with this one. I'd say give it about another 15 or 20 more years before this area becomes "Nats Country". There is still a strong presence of Oriole fans in this area, myself being one as well.

I do not really think it is disrespecting our countrys Anthem. That's kind of taking it to extreme that just because someone shouts out an O in the middle of the Anthem that it's disrespect. If you really want to get on people about disrespecting some of our country's symbols let's go after the flags burners and the damn liberals that have taken the pledge of allegence out of the schools for having the word "GOD" in it. But to suggest anything that these are Baltimorons and insinuating that these people are "Classless Trash" is kind of a stretch. Again I see some pros and cons on the arguement at hand. :2cents:

If you really want to get on people about disrespecting some of our country's symbols let's go after the flags burners and the damn liberals that have taken the pledge of allegence out of the schools for having the word "GOD" in it.

well maybe if congress didn't ADD the word "god" into the pledge in 1954 in the first place, this wouldn't be an issue.

When do they yell it? I can only think of the Oh in "Oh say can you see?". I don't see anywhere else in the anthem where that would be appropriate. If you're yelling out O when it is supposed to be "of" then you are being disrespectful of the anthem. I say that because it doesn't even fit the song. I don't have any problem with emphasizing words such as "Brave" that are in the song, but you shouldn't be adding to or changing the anthem.

MC

How about anywhere outside of the song when you're not bringing attention to yourself and taking attention away from the flag, this country and what the anthem means?

MC

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Thats where they yell "O"

While I personally don't do this at a Skins or O's game regardless, for patriotic reasons not because it is an O's referance at a Skins game.

Oh (sorry couldn't resist) how two years makes a differance. It seems a lot of the people who are upset over it being said at a Redskins game because the sentiment comes from an O's tradition really must have forgotten that the Nat weren't always here for us. Our hometown team was the O's, and frankly 17 years of being loyal to the O's will not change because a team from another country mind you...*how patriotic there*, comes into DC. For anyone offended due to it being an O's tradition at the skins game, well that's just to bad for you. While we're labeled Washington, last time I checked FedEx Field was built on the boundry line of MD to begin with. RFK is zoned in DC, which this case may have actually had a point. But we're just as close to Baltimore as DC now.

As to the National Pride reasoning at hand, I do believe in keeping the sacredness of our anthem. My father was Airforce, and until I had my leg shattered by a person in a truck and had a rod stuck in my leg was scheduled to begin Basic Training a week after graduation. I hold the utmost respect for those who have given their lives, those who have served, those currently serving, and those like I who sat in the enlistment office not for an oppertunity to get a free ride through college after but a significant pride in our Great country.

And while I have no respect for anyone who uses the anthem as a time to play around, or root on their team, we must remember our great country allows us to do such a thing. It's a double edged sword, if you take that freedom away you would be revoking something so many died for; but if you allow them to do it those who died for that exact right will have been disgraced.

I wonder what percentage of the people who emphasize the "O" actually are singing the rest of the song......or do they just listen and wait for that opportunity to yell it because its the "thing to do."

I recognize the tradition of doing it at Camden Yards, and still consider myself an Os fan, but I don't emphasize the "O" at FedEx not because of any construed disresepct to the anthem, but more out of recognition that I'm watching a sporting event in Washington, which by the way now has a baseball team of its own.

I often wonder if, aside from occasions like the anniversary of 9/11 and July 4, how many people attending events actually take the anthem seriously.

Ah, this is a grey area; however, Baltimore has its own football team. Washington has its own baseball team. Neither the twain shall meet.

In any case, it's still disrespectful to the Anthem.

>> It's even worse when people do it at a Nationals game. I was at the last regular season game and people were STILL doing it.

Now let me point something out to you. Fed Ex Field is NOT Orioles country. It is Nationals country. Something you Orioles fans will just have to live with. I didn't know the skins had Baltimore on their jerseys. If you want to yell O go to a Ravens game.

Well said. Let them go yell O with the other baltimoron ratbird fans.

>> It's even worse when people do it at a Nationals game. I was at the last regular season game and people were STILL doing it.

One thing I notice, though, is that, after they scream "Oh!" they're immediately shushed and booed, and, in some extreme (no pun intended) cases, doused with beer.

One thing I notice, though, is that, after they scream "Oh!" they're immediately shushed and booed, and, in some extreme (no pun intended) cases, doused with beer.

Shushing, in my book, is way more 'disrespectful' and annoying. If you feel the need to say something to the jackass, wait until AFTER the song is over.

If anyone ever doused me with beer I'd probably wait til the song was over and beat the dog poop (only cause I would get beeped if I said ****) out of them. Mainly because if they didn't want the beer they could have just handed me it and not thrown it on me.

Shushing, in my book, is way more 'disrespectful' and annoying. If you feel the need to say something to the jackass, wait until AFTER the song is over.

Totally agree, if you are going to say something to somebody that says "O" in the middle of the song at least has some respect as well and wait til the song is done. Practice what you preach:notworthy :applause: :cheers:

Archived