Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What should I do?

Taylor 21

Well I'm a sophmore in highschool and I have a problem that has to do with sports. Last Year, the only sport I did was Freshman basketball and had a good season. Before this school year started I was so pumped up about playing JV basketball. But for some reason these passed couple of weeks, I've been losing ALOT of interest in playing basketball to the point that I wont even tryout for JV. The reason why is because I'm gaining alot of interest in playing football. Now I went to the football coach for my school and he said I cant play because 1. I came to late, and 2. There werent any other pads so I wouldnt be in the games. The only way I can play football is if I wait till next year. Now here's the problem. Since Im losing ALOT of interest in playing basketball, I was thinking, for the rest of the year, should I just condition for football and get ready for next year and not tryout for basketball, or should I tryout for basketball even though I really dont have any interest as of right now? I still love basketball, but ever since this season started, everytime I see Sean Taylor make a play, I have this sudden urge to put on a jersey and play football. So, can you guys help me out?

do basketball to condition if you still enjoy it (i personaly never lost interest in any sport i did). if you have no interest in basketball, i sugest to condition by doing these 4 things:

1)try out for wrestling

this is a great physical sport that'll make you grow the balls necesary for football quick. (not sayin you dont have em;) ) wrestling takes alot of strength, mental power, endurance, and skill.

2) try out for track and field and do running events in the spring. the reasons for this should be sort of obvious.

3) weight train at least three times a week on every other day.

4) start running some set distance each day or so. i do a mile a each day to stay conditioned in the summer.

its a great way to do great sports AND get prepared for football at the same time.

Its weird for me though when it comes to running. I HATE running just for the heck of running. Like I can run but hate doing it. When it comes to just running, i cant run for very long time. But when its during a game or something, It feels like I can run forever. I dont know what the problem is haha

Its weird for me though when it comes to running. I HATE running just for the heck of running. Like I can run but hate doing it. When it comes to just running, i cant run for very long time. But when its during a game or something, It feels like I can run forever. I dont know what the problem is haha

dude your not the only one. i can play football for hours and hours but when it comes to running a mile i just cant do it, so i get a football game together instead.

I think skinfan13 gave some great suggestions.

I don't know if this will help, but if you are so excited about football, maybe you can get involved with the football team somehow: go to watch practice, lift weights with them, or even keep stats for the team. If the team is running sprints on the field, you can run sprints quietly on the sideline. Of course, *don't* interrupt the practice or try to make a show (don't be TO!!! - think Marvin Harrison) - I'm just saying to turn your passion into action. Besides getting you ready for next year, this might let the coach know that you really are serious about football (and not just showing up this week before you quit next week). Then, he'll be more willing to include you for next year. Even if you watch practice and run on the side and it seems like he's ignoring you, he will notice. Who knows, maybe if you impress the coach with your commitment, he will bend the rules or whatever and let you join later this year. It doesn't do any good to sit there and tell us how you're excited about football - you should get up and show your coach how you're excited about football. Remember: Actions speak louder than words.

I think you should think independently about football and basketball. Right now you're using football as an excuse not to play basketball, and that's not a great way to make decisions. In thinking about basketball, just decide whether or not you want to do it based on basketball alone. (Do I want to play basketball? Yes or No?) If you decide not to play basketball, don't feel guilty; it's okay to let it go this year. This is life: many times in life we are forced to make choices among a lot of different things we might like to do...there's not a "wrong" choice here so just trust your instincts and see where it takes you.

I'm *exactly* like you with running. I don't know what it is either. I guess it's the competition that gets me going (and keeps me from getting bored), and there's no real competition when you're just running for the sake of running. If you want to take up running, maybe you could try to find a friend to run with so that you can challenge each other or make it less boring.

One last thing: I didn't play football in high school, though I probably could have played if I had tried out. Now I'll never have that chance and it's one of my little regrets in life. So, if it's something you want to do, my advice is that you don't let the opportunity pass you by while you still have the chance. (The same goes for basketball, if you really do love it.)

Best wishes - let us know what you decide to do.

Play basketball. Us football coaches over where im at encourage it. You are still competing and working on side to side quickness that you wouldnt be able to work on otherwise. Play jv basketball this season and if you really love football next year then you can choose not to play. Dont have a season where you do nothing, youll look b ack and think you waisted a year.

LSS is correct, I encourage all the backs and receivers to play BB in the offseason or AT least run track......Football is not about how fast you can run but how fast you can stop and react........Basketball is catabolic however it will hone your defensive skills....

Shoot me a more detailed PM regarding what position you want to play , height , weight, and if you know what any of your maxes on lifts are if you aren't going to play basketball....

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6048227

~Coach Williams

1. keep an open mind about basketball. i know i changed my mind frequently about my sport as my passion went through normal ebbs and flows.

2. if you're still 50/50 about basketball at the start of the season, play basketball. it'll help your agility, and most programs worth their salt will have you in the weightroom.

3. either play spring football for your HS (if they have it) or run track. spring ball is a great way to get to know your coaches, their system, and to have your coaches get to know you and your work ethic.

4. honestly, as a coach, i don't like it when athletes drop a sport, even if it means that they can play mine. you're going to have to really earn the trust of your coaches (football) because if you don't play basketball, it'll be in the back of their minds that you might change your mind about football too.

football and basketball are not either/or decisions. you can do both, one or the other, or even none at all. having two sports, though, is a nice change of pace during the year though. definitely play football... if you want to play, do it. you're only in HS for a limited time and can't go back.

I see some great advice in this thread.

I gave up football when I got to high school after playing for three years earlier. My grades were terrible during the season and my mother told me I needed to make a choice between my grades and sports since I obviously couldn't do both. I chose better grades. Often I have wished I could have gotten my act together, but I can't go back now.

One thing that stands out in your comment is that you just recently changed your mind about basketball because Shawn Taylor has you wanting to play football. I am betting that if you get on the BB court, you will find that you still have a love for the game. Besides, the conditioning you will get playing BB is great for keeping you in shape for football next year.

If you do decide to give up BB though, I would do as Swaroopm suggested, and that is to get out there with the FB team anyway you can. Tell the coach that if it is too late to join the team, you plan on participating so that you will be prepared for next season and you would like to know what you can do to help the team now in one way or another. Show him your passion now and it will pay off in the future.

And look also at your motivating factors. BB and Track or Wrestling (all have been suggested) are all great ways to keep you in game conditioning programs. Get into one or more of these and keep thinking to yourself that this will help you to be physically prepared for football season. Running is boring heh? Think of the benefits it will provide you in being in better shape while you run. Your mind is your greatest friend or your greatest enemy. Learn to control it now. Get your mindset on being in good physical shape no matter what you have to do. If you don't, you may not make the FB team next year...then what? And even if you make the team, you may not start and rarely play because you didn't do the things you could have done to stay in shape and be prepared.

One lesson I learned way to late in life is that all the great athletes spent lots and lots of time training and preparing and keeping in game shape. They were motivated to do this because they wanted to be the best. When I was young, I thought that you were either good or you weren't, I had not idea that if you wanted to be good you had to make every effort you could in order to be good. Boy was I ignorant.

I think back to Larry Bird, basketball great of the Celtics. He said that he wasn't really very good, but he wanted to be. He said that his talent was not really very good, but he practiced day and night and then some until he got good. He said that his weakness was rebounding because white guys can't jump, and he could barely get off the floor...yet he was great at getting rebounds. Why? he spent lots and lots of time learning every aspect of the game and how to get around his lack of natural talent through having a good work ethic. He is one of many stories of average people becoming great by controlling their minds, by deciding what they wanted and going after it and doing whatever it took.

You want to play FB next year...play any sport you can now to prepare you physically...and mentally. Learn to focus your mind and you may be on your way to greatness. Wait until next year to do something...and you may not make the team. It all boils down to discipline. All the great athletes are very discplined and do whatever it takes, especially the things they don't like to do (like running...which builds your stamina...and you need that). Show your coaches how committed you are and they will notice. Be lazy, and that will show also. Coaches know which athletes are committed, there is a mindset that good players have that can't be ignored...and it is easy to tell when a play is lazy minded too.

If you want to play FB next year...do something about it now! Plan ahead and put that plan into action. Wait...do nothing...and unless you are a great natural athlete, you will be watching from the bench or the stands.

I have to agree on wrestling. You learn to use your weight, momentum and leverage without thinking about it. All very handy things for football. 25 years later it still comes naturally. Granted my wore out ole ass would be hurting if I had to use them too seriously :D , but they're still there. You won't regret it, but you WILL run your ass off. We used to run stairs and I hated those things, but the stamina you get in wrestling practice is far more than basketball. You'll also lift a lot of weights and that's good for football too.

btw i was curious as to how a sophmore is 17... held back?

I am 15, and about to turn 16 in November. Thanks for the ideas, im definately going to start going to the weight room every other day.

Try to take a ball and play at your local b-ball court. Shoot around by yourself. Try to get that feeling back...

I try that everyday. I just dont have the feeling I used to have when I played basketball.

maybe you can get involved with the football team somehow: go to watch practice, lift weights with them, or even keep stats for the team. If the team is running sprints on the field, you can run sprints quietly on the sideline. Of course, *don't* interrupt the practice or try to make a show (don't be TO!!! - think Marvin Harrison)

Thats a great Idea. Im going to try and do that as well. Ofcourse it would be much easier if I werent Fasting. But Im Still going to try.

If you want to play FB next year...do something about it now! Plan ahead and put that plan into action. Wait...do nothing...and unless you are a great natural athlete, you will be watching from the bench or the stands.

Yeah, I see what you mean too. In basketball I started everygame and hopefully when it comes to football, I'll be doing that as well.

Thanks to all you guys for the great suggestions and comments. You guys are really helping me out. Thanks you :applause:

Play ball

Seriously, you are a sophomore, but you don't realize how special these days are playing sports for your school. Take advantage of every oppurtunity to do it, because odds are, if you are like 99 percent of us, it'll be the last time you really get that competitve rush

Take advantage of it. And I noticed in HS a correlation between those who played a winter and spring sport, and how much better they were when we showed up in the summer for football camp

I like the fact that you are only planning on playing one sport. It will allow you concentrate more instead of spreading yourself to thin. A word of warning though about football. I seen alot of very good athletes who didn't like football. They didn't like the contact. One other thing. Football practice will be like no other kind of practice you are use too. Two a days in the middle of summer sucks! It gets better during the season though. Not nearly as demanding.

I played both basketball and football and practice for baskeball was a cake walk compared to football. I don't really know your size or attitude but you better be ready to hit and run come next football season. I can't count the number of people who would come out every year and quit football because they couldn't deal with the practices.

I would really watch playing basketball also. It's is just a matter of time before you screw a ankle up bad wich could affect you playing football.

Here's what I would do.

1-You need to sart lifting like right now! You are already at a disadvantage to other people who have been playing.

2-I know you said you hate running just to be running. I hear ya I'm the same way but you need to try it. You will get a runners high that will keep you coming back. I can't stress how important it is going to be for you to be in shape. Like I said most people who quit couldn't deal with the running involved in the middle of summer. If you go to football practice your first day without being in shape you want make it a week.

Archived