Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When will the '04 Defense return

skinsrbeast

I think we've seen much improvement in our offense since the 04 season, but what happened to our defense.

With cornerbacks fallen apart without Shawn Springs in the lineup, and lack of turnovers, I have began to question "what happened since the 04 season that made us go from the 3rd ranked defense to 9th ranked defense , to the 15th ranked defense". In the first 3 games this year we have created 3 turnovers (1 interception, and 2 fumbles) but we have given away 2 turnovers.

We haven't gotten that pressure on the QB that we need, and have barely ever get an interception (interception this year was a toss up in the endzone). With a linebacker core that makes no ones into top 20 linebackers, we have had some trouble keeping them. Since 03 we have lost 2 top cornerbacks (bailey and Smoot) and 4 top linebackers (armstead, trotter, Pierce, Arrington), We have fixed up a depleted saftey position, and gotten that supposively "great " front 4 to pressure the QB, but thats just the problem, with rumph, rogers, and Wright given up big plays, and penalties, we havent been able to use our linebackers and safeties to make that pressure.

With springs hurt, and retirement creeping in his sight, what will the redskins due if we lose springs, or don't get him 100 % this year?

Also, why aren't we pressuring the QB, (A question frequently asked ever single season here at fedex) and why has our D Dropped 12 positions since 2 years ago, and 6 since last year. What is that spark the redskins need to shine this year on the defensive part of the ball?.... When will that 04 defense return.

Yep, i think teams study the hell out of Williams blitzes and they are getting wise to our tricks. However, that doesnt excuse the lack of pressure from the front four. Remember late in the 05 season? Seems like we started to get something going of course we all remember the second cowgirls game. I dont know what the problem is Salavea going out makes matters worse, Carter seems like a bust. Springs return will help a lot i think, but players need to step up. Archuleta is tackling well, thats about it. I think Rogers will start having breakout games. But the problem is pressure on the QB we need it badly.

A couple of reasons: the '04 defense didn't face too many quality offenses, we had suprise on our side, we had no injuries that did not have somebody as good or better waiting in the wings, and our opponents could play conservitive (our offense wasn't going to hurt them). Add this to the fact that the 2004 defense was damn good.

I doubt we'll see that defense again. If our offense could start putting presure on the other guys, look for a defense that gets big plays.

the 04' defense wont return. The surprise element will never be there again. Teams have things to study and they see all the exotic blitz packages on tape thousands of times over and over. We have to execute better and play better coverages against the 3 step short routes.

I don't think that's it at all. I think the 04 defense returns as soon as we have the ability to man cover on the edges like we could with Smoot and Springs in the lineup. To me, the surprise thing is bs because GW has been in the league and been a D coordinator for a few teams now, people knew what he liked to do on defense before he got here. Last year, we pressured less and when we did we zone blitzed. This year, we're still playing a lot of zone but we're blitzing a lot less thatn last year (and we blitzed less last year than 04). In 04, we could leave our CBs on a man coverage island with ST playing center fielder. Until we can trust our CBs like that, we won't see Greg bring the kind of pressure schemes we brought in 04. Unfortunately, I don't see our coverage becoming that trust worthy at any point this year. Greg has adapted to his personnel. The personnel, specifically at CB, is not up to par with 04 and wasn't last year either. Who knows if he would've kept up the level of play he had in 04 but I'm really starting to think of all the players who've left since Gibbs got back Fred Smoot was the biggest loss. Our D hasn't been the same and hasn't been capable of doing the same things since he left.

IMO, the 2004 defense will come around again when Springs comes back healthy, the overpaid free agents play up to their contracts and when we cut out the stupid penalties.

Andre Carter at this point, is looking like a FA bust. His technique sucks, looks like he watched video of Lavar Arrington to develop his pass rushing skills. Hopefully the coaching staff can make something out of this guy.

Archuleta has looked ok, but with his salary... he should be more than ok. He kinda looks like he's lost out there. Thinking too much and it's taking him too long to react. Maybe he'll get better as the season goes on and he becomes more comfortable in the defense.

Rogers is playing very streaky and seems to be in a sophmore slump. Having Springs back will probably help him out alot. Having Springs back will probably mean alot to the defense in general. I don't think Williams can be as creative as he was in 2004 when he can't trust his secondary.

What's surprising to me though, is that Marcus Washington seems to have vanished. Usually, you seem him flying all over the place, bouncing around and getting other people charged up. He hasn't done that so far this year.

This Defense is getting OLD.

D-line: Daniels 33, Wynn 32, Griffin 29, Salavea 31

Backers: Holdman 30, Washington 28, Marshall 29

Secondary: Springs 31, Wright 29, Archuleta 28

* Don't forget the onlt reason Seattle let Springs go is he was always hurt. He has only played 16 games 3 times in 11 seasons.

They need to stop giving away all of their draft picks and draft some young talent.

* Don't forget the onlt reason Seattle let Springs go is he was always hurt. He has only played 16 games 3 times in 11 seasons.

They need to stop giving away all of their draft picks and draft some young talent.

i agree about springs and the draft picks ....tho i wouldnt call 28 and 29 old ...but we need to start drafting some real defense and stop trying to dig through other peoples stars

I see a lot of people blame Springs being out for the Defensive problems. He was out a couple of games last year and they still played well. I think if you look at the games you see their best players are not playing as well. Washington, Griffin, Rogers not to mention the people they added Arch, Carter, Wright. These guys are all a downgrade from what I see.

I see a lot of people blame Springs being out for the Defensive problems. He was out a couple of games last year and they still played well. I think if you look at the games you see their best players are not playing as well. Washington, Griffin, Rogers not to mention the people they added Arch, Carter, Wright. These guys are all a downgrade from what I see.

When you couple Springs being out with the additions of Archuleta and Carter in the starting line up... that's three new starting faces. 4 if you include Holdman as a fulltime starter. Add Prioleau to the list and a new nickel corner and that's alot of change. Something that I think is being overlooked. Hell, last year Phillip Daniels was our RDE... now he's playing on the other side. Things add up.

the loss of Springs for a few weeks might have been mitigated with an improved pass rush from the DL.

the fact that the addition of $30 million man Andre Carter has not lead to ONE sack so far in 3 games and no hurries of note speaks volumes as to why we are where we are right now.

Andre Carter didn't even show up in the stat sheet on Sunday. No sacks, no tackles, no assists, no fumbles, no interceptions, ZERO.

And this was against what is recognized to be among the worst offensive lines in the NFL in Houston, a team that was starting a 24 year old at LT due to injury.

How can anyone talk this away?

I think fans have been too hard on Brunell, too hard on some others including Archuleta who has not been able to play his game because of the injuries in the secondary.

But Carter?

An edge pass rusher is exactly what this defense needs right now.

What do you notice about the Redskins group not a single player drafted by them? 2 starters on D, Rogers and Taylor.

the loss of Springs for a few weeks might have been mitigated with an improved pass rush from the DL.

the fact that the addition of $30 million man Andre Carter has not lead to ONE sack so far in 3 games and no hurries of note speaks volumes as to why we are where we are right now.

Andre Carter didn't even show up in the stat sheet on Sunday. No sacks, no tackles, no assists, no fumbles, no interceptions, ZERO.

But Carter?

An edge pass rusher is exactly what this defense needs right now.

This is what it says for Carters stats on ESPN it says he didn't play. Wow they got that right!

1MINL 19-16 4310.01100000002

@DALL 27-10 2200.00000000003

@HOUW 31-15 Did Not Play

this is misleading. you are not counting McIntosh (22) who is backing up Holdman and will most likely be on the field as a starter before the end of the season. #2 draft pick.

you are not counting the contributions of Montgomery (22) and Golston (23) early in the season at DT in place of Joe Salavea. #5 and #6 draft picks.

and you COULD look at the secondary as being Taylor (23), Rogers (23) both former top 10 picks with Archuleta at just 28 years of age. That leaves Springs at 31 as the only backfield starter over 30. (two #1 picks here).

so, right now the Redskins defense is seeing contributions from 4 draft picks with a fifth likely to be following soon.

then you count the Lemar Marshalls, Demetric Evans, and Pierson Prioleaus that are players the Redskins acquired and who have thrived in Gregg Williams' defense after being released by other teams.

Williams has done very little wrong in 2 years as the DC here in Washington.

The players the team has let go have for the most part been replaced by players of equal and in some cases superior talent.

"

this is misleading. you are not counting McIntosh (22) who is backing up Holdman and will most likely be on the field as a starter before the end of the season. #2 draft pick.

you are not counting the contributions of Montgomery (22) and Golston (23) early in the season at DT in place of Joe Salavea. #5 and #6 draft picks."

McIntosh:0 tackles this season, no way he starts unless Holdman is injured. If he is so good thay could have at least let him play when they went up 31-15.

Montgomery: 1 Tackle

Golston: 7 tackles He has played well.

Williams has been able to get any player he wants. How would he do in Houston?

Yep, i think teams study the hell out of Williams blitzes and they are getting wise to our tricks. However, that doesnt excuse the lack of pressure from the front four. Remember late in the 05 season? Seems like we started to get something going of course we all remember the second cowgirls game. I dont know what the problem is Salavea going out makes matters worse, Carter seems like a bust. Springs return will help a lot i think, but players need to step up. Archuleta is tackling well, thats about it. I think Rogers will start having breakout games. But the problem is pressure on the QB we need it badly.

Carter has played 3 games at his position a position he has not played in what 3 yrs?

i agree about springs and the draft picks ....tho i wouldnt call 28 and 29 old ...but we need to start drafting some real defense and stop trying to dig through other peoples stars

I think we have done a good job drafting what we need is a little bit better late round pickups. And that has started to come with that one defenseive player we have a few on offense. Next year barring any major injuries we should be drafting for depth.

when we resign Antonio Pierce and Fred Smoot

exactly what i was thinking. i know people on this board do not like pierce, but he was a huge presence in the run stopping that year and lemar marshall just isnt the MLB that AP was. I feel as though we dont see much of lemar during games. he does show up and make big plays every now and then, but AP was everywhere that year.

Archived