Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When will the '04 Defense return

skinsrbeast

If you doubt Williams then how come he had the #1 defense in 1999 in Tennessee as they went to the Super Bowl and was regularly in the top 5. In Buffalo, despite troubles on the other side of the ball, the defense was again very successful.

Williams has some talented players on defense but he doesn't have an all-star team.

Joe Salavea, Phillip Daniels, Lemar Marshall, Warrick Holdman, etc. these guys are overachievers not superstars :laugh:

Then you can add in Demetric Evans, Ryan Clark and a host of others like Prioleau that have come here and found a home so to speak.

This defense is a combination of marquee free agents, draft picks and waiver wire acquisitions that Williams has cobbled together over the past 2 years.

The line needs to play better for this team to beat the better clubs on the schedule.

With Springs dinged, there is really no other way for the Skins to get off the field on third downs.

Andre Johnson had 11 catches for 152 and 1 td against the Redskins despite the fact he was the Texans' only real downfield threat.

Davis is on IR and the team started Ron Dayne. Eric Moulds at 33 is a possession receiver now.

Griffin has to do better getting inside pressure. Daniels and Carter have to do better on the outside.

This goes back to the old NFL adage: When you see a pro-bowl CB, there is usually a pretty stout D-Line. The opposite is also applicable.

Springs' abscence, coupled by the departure of Walt Harris (who was very capable in the nickel, not as a starter) has put a lot of pressure on our blitz packages. Minnesota tested our man-man defense blitz packages with max-protect go routes and Troy Williamson (despite his inability to catch) really showed a glaring hole in our defensive personnel.

With that said, GW had to revamp the strategy to accomidate for that. You saw an excessive amount of zone against Dallas, for which their savvy receiving corps/qb were able to carve out. Zone defenses are only effective when your front 4 can crush the QB (e.g. Tampa Bay 2003) and clearly our front 4 has been anemic.

We need one of two things (preferably both) to happen in order to push our defense towards its schematic potential: better CB play (hopefully from the return of Springs), better pressure from the front four.

It really is as simple as that.

When Spring's comes back and Andre Carter shows up in a redskins uniform, cuz that imposter playing for Carter sure doesn't look like the same guy that was so hyped and was suppose to be the answer to our DL getting a pass rush. But the truth is probably never. in 2004 we had Springs and Smoot @ corner so they could afford to blitz more cuz you could leave those guys one on one, a wouldn't have to worry about them getting beat to bad. But you can't play that way when you have Rogers and Rumph.

A couple of reasons: the '04 defense didn't face too many quality offenses, we had suprise on our side, we had no injuries that did not have somebody as good or better waiting in the wings, and our opponents could play conservitive (our offense wasn't going to hurt them). Add this to the fact that the 2004 defense was damn good.

I doubt we'll see that defense again. If our offense could start putting presure on the other guys, look for a defense that gets big plays.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

really good points across the board.

When Spring's comes back and Andre Carter shows up in a redskins uniform, cuz that imposter playing for Carter sure doesn't look like the same guy that was so hyped and was suppose to be the answer to our DL getting a pass rush. But the truth is probably never. in 2004 we had Springs and Smoot @ corner so they could afford to blitz more cuz you could leave those guys one on one, a wouldn't have to worry about them getting beat to bad. But you can't play that way when you have Rogers and Rumph.

We need an aggressive defense and a good running offense. Not necessarily the best in either, but the best overall. That is Gibbs football, the way that got us to the Superbowl before and can do it again.

We lost the 04 defense potential with Pierce. Pierce was such a cerebral player that I would often see him move Washington and others into position. Sure, he was not very good at pass coverage but he was our coach on the field. I just don't see that in Marshall, who is a decent linebacker, but more suited to play on the outside.

I think you will see a big turnaround once Springs is back in the lineup.. it give Williams a lot more flexiblity in calling blitzes because he is not as much of a liability as K Wright, or Rumph... we will have to wait and see.. but I am thinking we will be fine in a couple of weeks.. I am really just hoping he is back next week.. because I would like to have him knock off some the rust before we have to play the Colts...

GO SKINS:point2sky :point2sky :point2sky

I think we've seen much improvement in our offense since the 04 season, but what happened to our defense.

With cornerbacks fallen apart without Shawn Springs in the lineup, and lack of turnovers, I have began to question "what happened since the 04 season that made us go from the 3rd ranked defense to 9th ranked defense , to the 15th ranked defense". In the first 3 games this year we have created 3 turnovers (1 interception, and 2 fumbles) but we have given away 2 turnovers.

We haven't gotten that pressure on the QB that we need, and have barely ever get an interception (interception this year was a toss up in the endzone). With a linebacker core that makes no ones into top 20 linebackers, we have had some trouble keeping them. Since 03 we have lost 2 top cornerbacks (bailey and Smoot) and 4 top linebackers (armstead, trotter, Pierce, Arrington), We have fixed up a depleted saftey position, and gotten that supposively "great " front 4 to pressure the QB, but thats just the problem, with rumph, rogers, and Wright given up big plays, and penalties, we havent been able to use our linebackers and safeties to make that pressure.

With springs hurt, and retirement creeping in his sight, what will the redskins due if we lose springs, or don't get him 100 % this year?

Also, why aren't we pressuring the QB, (A question frequently asked ever single season here at fedex) and why has our D Dropped 12 positions since 2 years ago, and 6 since last year. What is that spark the redskins need to shine this year on the defensive part of the ball?.... When will that 04 defense return.

I have a problem with this! In 2004, Bailey did not have a good year in Denver. In 2005 Smoot did not have a good year in Minnesota. Jesse Armstead did not have a good year with Carolina. BTW what team does he play for now? Trotter is a system LB. Pierce a read defenses. Arrington looks like a deer in headlight in New York now! The LBs are not top 4 LBs, just Free Agents. Smoot is not a top corner. Just another FA. So please come up with a better analysis before starting a thread.

I have a problem with this! In 2004, Bailey did not have a good year in Denver. In 2005 Smoot did not have a good year in Minnesota. Jesse Armstead did not have a good year with Carolina. BTW what team does he play for now? Trotter is a system LB. Pierce a read defenses. Arrington looks like a deer in headlight in New York now! The LBs are not top 4 LBs, just Free Agents. Smoot is not a top corner. Just another FA. So please come up with a better analysis before starting a thread.

Wow, good points their. Your right none of thoseguys are playing like superstars(maybe Bailey) but all of them together on the same field played great.

the 04' defense wont return. The surprise element will never be there again. Teams have things to study and they see all the exotic blitz packages on tape thousands of times over and over. We have to execute better and play better coverages against the 3 step short routes.

Defense needs to make plays......and create TURNOVERS........no more PI and PF penalties will help too! :doh:

How can a Defense get better when you lose A. Pierce, Arrington, Smoot, R. Clark, & PP to injury just to name a few.

OMG, just because people keep repeating that nonsense doesn't make it true. Pierce has been more than adequatly replaced by Marshall, who mind you has made more plays playing in his first year at that position than Pierce did when he got his probowl type contract.

Your dear friend Smoot just got benched in Minnesota, and calling Arrington a shadow of his former self would be a compliment. Ryan Clark would have been nice to keep around but not for the money the Steelers paid him. Also don't forget that Prioleau and Clark were basically the same player, with Prioleau getting a slight edge in coverage.

Talent wise the '06 defense is improved over the '05 defense. Are they playing as good as the '05 defense did last year? No, but you have to remember that even last season we started out slow and even last season we were giving up big plays.

Our defense may not always be spectacular, but in the 3 years GW has run this defense I can only think of the '05 Tampa game as one where the defense let us down.

Really what needs to happen is for the offense to step up. Once that starts happening our defense will start looking better as well.

I feel like the skins get a little overzealous in the free agency game. Sometimes team chemistry is a little bit more valuable than signing a big name. I like the lineup on defense right now, but the secondary is almost brand new. I think they will start playing a lot better towards the second half of the season.:fingersx:

Archived