Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone have a list of the "21 Pro Bowl" players signed since 1999

skinswin'emALL

The overall point is quite valid -- the Skins have valued former greatness (overpriced aging free agents) over future greatness (risky draft picks). It hasn't worked.

If you look around the league, there aren't many teams with free agents as leaders of their teams. I guess you could say Brett Favre is, but that's a stretch because he was really an unknown when he arrived. I'm trying to think of a big name free agent who went on to be just as good (or better) with his new team. Can you think of any? Surely there must be quite a few if Snyder's strategy is sound.

Marcus Washington would qualify. Maybe TO, but he's such a head case that I'm not sure he's a good example. Champ Bailey? The trouble with the Skins is that they have free agents at all the important leadership positions, and maybe they're not the "true Redskins" that Joe always valued. I'm not questioning the commitment from Moss, Portis, Brunell, Washington, etc., but I think their view of the world is a little different -- they probably see the business aspects first because they've been traded, cut, etc., in the past.

Interestingly, if you look at the QBs who've won the last 15 Superbowls, only Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer were free agent acquisitions -- and both those teams won on defense and just wanted a veteran QB to guide the offense, not lead the team. I don't include Kurt Warner because while he wasn't drafted by the Rams, he really wasn't a free agent in this sense. The ones in the 10 years before that? Just Redskins Rypien and Williams.

The overall point is quite valid -- the Skins have valued former greatness (overpriced aging free agents) over future greatness (risky draft picks). It hasn't worked.

If you look around the league, there aren't many teams with free agents as leaders of their teams. I guess you could say Brett Favre is, but that's a stretch because he was really an unknown when he arrived. I'm trying to think of a big name free agent who went on to be just as good (or better) with his new team. Can you think of any? Surely there must be quite a few if Snyder's strategy is sound.

Marcus Washington would qualify. Maybe TO, but he's such a head case that I'm not sure he's a good example. Champ Bailey? The trouble with the Skins is that they have free agents at all the important leadership positions, and maybe they're not the "true Redskins" that Joe always valued. I'm not questioning the commitment from Moss, Portis, Brunell, Washington, etc., but I think their view of the world is a little different -- they probably see the business aspects first because they've been traded, cut, etc., in the past.

Interestingly, if you look at the QBs who've won the last 15 Superbowls, only Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer were free agent acquisitions -- and both those teams won on defense and just wanted a veteran QB to guide the offense, not lead the team. I don't include Kurt Warner because while he wasn't drafted by the Rams, he really wasn't a free agent in this sense. The ones in the 10 years before that? Just Redskins Rypien and Williams.

rodney harrison

steve mcnair

hutchinson

I thought we drafted Mark Rypien? If so and the rest of this correct that would there has only been 3 FA QB acquistions to win SB's in the last 25 years... that's very interesting... also was Doug Williams a FA or did we trade for him?

Here's an independent look at who the team leaders are:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2564252

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2564809

From that list, and my own recollections, here's a few leaders that didn't come from their own drafted teams that I would offer to you:

- Trent Green

- Daunte Culpepper (wait and see)

- Edgerin James (wait and see)

- Reggie White

- Curtis Martin

- Rodney Harrison

- Antonio Pierce (for the Giants!)

- Drew Brees (already, for the Saints)

- Jon Kitna (already, for the Lions)

- Brad Johnson (for the Vikes, this year)

- Matt Hasselbeck (drafted by Green Bay)

- London Fletcher

- Troy Vincent

- Randy Moss

- Keenan McCardell

So Snyder is not crazy. Former greatness is just fine. The team needs to gel.

I predict the Redskins will start the season 3-3 or 2-4, but finish 10-6 or 11-5 with a playoff berth.

Here's an independent look at who the team leaders are:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2564252

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2564809

From that list, and my own recollections, here's a few leaders that didn't come from their own drafted teams that I would offer to you:

- Trent Green

- Daunte Culpepper (wait and see)

- Edgerin James (wait and see)

- Reggie White

- Curtis Martin

- Rodney Harrison

- Antonio Pierce (for the Giants!)

- Drew Brees (already, for the Saints)

- Jon Kitna (already, for the Lions)

- Brad Johnson (for the Vikes, this year)

- Matt Hasselbeck (drafted by Green Bay)

- London Fletcher

- Troy Vincent

- Randy Moss

- Keenan McCardell

So Snyder is not crazy. Former greatness is just fine. The team needs to gel.

I predict the Redskins will start the season 3-3 or 2-4, but finish 10-6 or 11-5 with a playoff berth.

That's a great list, but i disagree with Randy Moss. His played has surely declined. You can add Takeo Spikes to that list.

You can monday morning quarterback all day along about us cutting Steve Hutchinson but the fact is he was slow and stupid when he was here.

OK, I may have missed something here, but we're talking about Steve Hutchinson the Pro Bowl guard for the Vikes, yes? He was drafted by the Seahawks in the first round of the 2001 draft. He's never been cut.

1. Brunell (3 times)

2. Bruce Smith (11 times, number 1 overal pick)

3. Clinton Portis (trade but with a new deal, 1 time)

4. Springs (1 time)

5. Mark Carrier (3 time and 3 time alternate)

6. Andre Reed (7 times)

7. Deion Sanders (8 times)

8. Larry Centers (2 times before, 1 time after)

9. Irving Fryar (5 times, number 1 overall pick

10. Eric Metcalf (3 times as a KR--lame to include this one)

11. Jessie Armstead (5 times)

12. Darrell Russell (2, another lame on to include)

13. Jeremiah Trotter (4, 3 before, 1 after)

14. Ray Brown (1, 2001 season he was 38 damn)

15. Tom Tupa (1 time...very lame)

16. Eddie Murray (1 time, lammme)

17. Michael Bates (5 times, ultra lame to include him)

18 Byron Chamberlain (1 time, played 4 game for us)

OK, I can add:

Bryan Barker (1 time)

Tommy Barnhardt (1 time)

So, we're down to the final slot, which I think might belong to Wesley Walls who came in and signed a minimal contract with us a couple years ago and was promptly let go. Technically a signing, though he never played for us. if that one counts, then there's your list of 21 Pro Bowlers.

Archived