Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mortensen on Spurrier mood

spanishomelette

Help me out here...On sports radio here in Portland of all places they report on there little update that Chris Mortensen claims that Spurrier is so upset with things that he's talking about going back to coach college next year.

This is something I never would have expected to hear, and I hope this is just venting. I don't want to think about another HC regime here again.

Anyway...Make me believe I imagined hearing this please...

That's asinine.

I'm sure he's PO'd about having a more difficult time both motivating older vets versus young collegians, and also about his inability to replace non-performing players in the lineup with backups from his 80-man college squad - indeed, he's commented on the latter - but he's not a guy to surrender after 5 games. He may well have vented about those two frustrations to someone, who in turn misinterpreted that to mean that he wished to return to the college environment.

I seriously doubt that. This is probably someone feeding Mortensen rumors to hurt Snyder.

1) Spurrier has played enough football to know that 2-3 is not the end of the world.

2) If he went back to college ball after flopping in the NFL, he would always have an asterisk next to his name, as in "nice college coach, couldn't hack it in the pros." Spurrier seems like the type that would take this early adversity as something that made him more determined, not less.

We should also remember that Mort is wrong at least as often as he is right. And he has not liked the Skins much since they got rid of Norv (who I believe was one of Mort's sources).

I doubt Mort has sources close to the team right now. And his recent record (like all his predictions about us back in 2000) would lead me to the following conclusion- Spurrier has never been as excited about being a pro coach as now.

Spurrier and his people are known to confide in Mortenson on everything Spurrier wants to do with his career. Spurrier may have been responding to a fan question, but I seriously doubt he was reporting it even under a rumor form without it being published on ESPN first.

unless Spurrier is fired I see no way he leaves after just one season.

Walsh was 2-14 in 1979. Parcells was 3-12-1 in 1983. Landry (albeit on an expansion team) was 0-10-1.

Spurrier would lose all credibility and respect for bailing out on a situation just because it appeared to be a credible challenge for him to overcome.

You spend 30 years around football as Spurrier has, you don't do something that uncharacteristic.

Originally posted by Fred Smoot Fan

Can't blame him for that. Right now we're probably the 2nd worst team in the NFL next to the Bungles.

I think the Bengals are probably the better team considering they have the better head coach and Cory Dillon!

Originally posted by calsaint

I think the Bengals are probably the better team considering they have the better head coach and Cory Dillon!

I can't believe how smug you are when your team won due to ST breakdowns. Yes, the game was that close and we still piled on the yards offensively. How many trips to the red zone for NO and how many resulted in 7 points? *silence* - Yeah, that's what I thought.:jerkoff:

Originally posted by OaktonSkinsFan

I can't believe how smug you are when your team won due to ST breakdowns. Yes, the game was that close and we still piled on the yards offensively. How many trips to the red zone for NO and how many resulted in 7 points? *silence* - Yeah, that's what I thought.:jerkoff:

You are correct. The Skins did have ST breakdowns. You also had ol breakdowns, dl breakdowns, qb breakdowns, rb breakdowns and db breakdowns. Hopefully it's not all bad though. I did notice Spurrier with his notepad. Maybe he took good notes!:jerkoff:

Originally posted by calsaint

You are correct. The Skins did have ST breakdowns. You also had ol breakdowns, dl breakdowns, qb breakdowns, rb breakdowns and db breakdowns. Hopefully it's not all bad though. I did notice Spurrier with his notepad. Maybe he took good notes!:jerkoff:

Yes and in spite of our OL breakdown, Ramsey STILL managed to throw 1 TD, ran in a TD, and threw for 330 yards. That was his first start and second NFL appearance. And guess what? All of the analysts, including those who like to bash the 'skins, went to goo goo over PR. I seriously doubt that AB, as an established VET, would even recover from that in the same fashion that PR did.

DL breakdown? I don't think so.

RB breakdown? Granted SD only got the ball 14 times -but he averaged 4.3 yards per carry.

DB breakdown? No, I think not. It was actually a breakdown (just a few plays) with our safeties. And everyone around here knows it's a problem.

You suck - you can't even identify the correct positions and players on a team. Get lost, moron. :finger:

There is no way that SOS's pride will let him go back to college this year. I can say however that with Zook running the Battleship Gator aground, there are many down here who would pay big $ to get SOS back in G'ville. Personally, if I had it, I'd be one of them. The Bull Gators are not happy now and I wouldn't be surprised to hear of them doing whatever it takes to get him back.

I'm sure it was somebody trying to stir the pot because there is no way he leaves until he has at least a few years of trying his system in the NFL. I'm not sure his ego would stand 3 years of mediocrity, but 5 games certainly isn't enough to get him to quit. I still say if Marv returns next year and we solidify the O-Line, next year we are going to be VERY dangerous.

Originally posted by luckydevi

:doh: great. To be honest it wouldnt surprise me

I don't see how it couldn't. Spurrier has been a winner everywhere he's coached. He may not have been an immediate winner, but he doesn't seem the type to turn tail and run.

These are just rumors made by pathetic people who couldn't wait to see Spurrier fail, and are trying to fuel the fire and hope it happens quickly.

Archived