Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did We Intentionally Lay Down For Minnesota?

RiggoReincarnated

As I was driving to work this morning, I thought that there is a good chance Gibbs told some of his key players that we don't want to lay it all on the line for Minnesota, and if we win that would be great but we don't want to look dominant at this point in the season.

Why? We have the Cowboys at Dallas this week, a tough win by any standards. The genius of losing to Minnesota is that the Cowboys and the rest of the league underestimates us, and we are the decided underdogs.

While losing to Minnesota hurts temporarily, in the long run its the divisional games that are much more important to win. This could all very well be part of the Master Plan.

First, re-read your post, and take a minute to digest the idea.

During the Dallas game you were all over the place emotionally. The Cowboys are way ahead of the Redskins. Parcells made all the right moves, and Gibbs made bad choices if they win at Jax. Well they lost.

Now, we lost to Minny. The Vikes are a good team, especially the OL. And the OL as we know from history can make average backs look good, good QB's look great.

Now you are on here as if they was a game plan to not play all that great at home opener so we could lose or win closely to set up for the Dallas game.

As I had tried to tell you before, use some Patience and Faith. Saunder's just got here, we did not have one starting corner. The system is in place and by the end of the season all will be going in the right direction.

Gibbs is at the helm, and I would change teams if I ever thought he would lay down or hold up for any team. It was the opener, the Redskins were sluggish. That is it.

As I was driving to work this morning, I thought that there is a good chance Gibbs told some of his key players that we don't want to lay it all on the line for Minnesota, and if we win that would be great but we don't want to look dominant at this point in the season.

Why? We have the Cowboys at Dallas this week, a tough win by any standards. The genius of losing to Minnesota is that the Cowboys and the rest of the league underestimates us, and we are the decided underdogs.

While losing to Minnesota hurts temporarily, in the long run its the divisional games that are much more important to win. This could all very well be part of the Master Plan.

There is some stupid thinking on this board recently of chocolate and vanilla, etc.

But this has to be the dumbest thing I have read on here.

Told some of his key players that we don't want to lay it all on the line...

That we don't want to look dominant at this point in the season...

Did some of you ever play any competitive sports at all?

Now we are just as desperate as they are for that win, and if we even up at 1-1 we will be in better shape then we would have been by beating Minnesota and then losing to Dallas.

I think the ultimate goal was 2-0 after Dallas week... I think that would have been better. :doh:

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

That is just stupid, the whole point of COMPETETIVE football is to be competetive, it'll be that one game which makes a differemce between winning the division and clinching a playoff spot or losing and shooting for a wild-card slot

Yeah.... sounds like Joe Gibbs...... Throw a game so we can go into the house of a team we beat on a miricle comeback then beat the crap out of and knocked out of the play offs, that have been hearing all off season by some people that we are the team to beat in the NFC East so they WOULD have something to prove, if we hadn't purposely lost a game the week before.....

(Just in case you need me to tell you, that was sarcasim)

Laying down on the anniversary of September 11th, in Washington; (well Maryland really) in the Redskins home opener, with many diehard fans in attendance; would be an enormous slap in the face to the faithful.

As someone who saw the game firsthand, I saw no indication that the game was thrown, held back, or any variation of lack of fortitude. There were several bonehead plays on both sides of the ball, but nothing intentional. I can only hope that the team starts playing cleaner. It's obvious they have the talent, just not the perfection to comeplely dominate from it yet.

:logo:

I think you're a little late on this one my friend.

This strategy was actually employed LAST SEASON, when we threw the game against Seattle. Instead of going on to the NFC Championship game, we decided to bow out of the playoffs altogether, so that we could sneak up on people THIS SEASON after acquiring 85, 82, 40 and 99. This tactic is more complicated than the "con" and is often referred to as the "long con."

:sucks:

We drove the field in less than a minute for a game tying FG. Must of slipped Joe's mind that we didn't have Old No.3. I'd say he was preparing for the tie and then the OT win. I'll also say this again for the 1000th time. We need a pass rusher! Greg's defense is showing it's vunerability without the rush. We can beat the Cowpokes if we stay in Drew's face. We haven't had a legitimate set of bookends since Mann-Manley. For those long time fans, remember when we chose Michael Westbrook in the draft ahead of Warren Sapp?

:dallasuck

We drove the field in less than a minute for a game tying FG. Must of slipped Joe's mind that we didn't have Old No.3. I'd say he was preparing for the tie and then the OT win. I'll also say this again for the 1000th time. We need a pass rusher! Greg's defense is showing it's vunerability without the rush. We can beat the Cowpokes if we stay in Drew's face. We haven't had a legitimate set of bookends since Mann-Manley. For those long time fans, remember when we chose Michael Westbrook in the draft ahead of Warren Sapp?

:dallasuck

I think that Gibbs' goal was to win a close one...we could have put Minnesota away but I think he told the players the win needed to be close so Dallas would underestimate us again this year and not have the mental edge at home.

The strategy obviously backfired though, because Minnesota was tougher then expected. Still though, we could have won by at least 14 if we wanted.

I think the only time this team ever intentionally threw a game was the 1940 Championship Game against the Chicago Bears. Then-owner George Preston Marshall (cough, bigot!) did a lot of yapping about how the Skins were going to manhandle the Bears, thus creating the term "bulletin-board material." A lot of the Skins players hated him for doing that, so they laid down to embarrass him.

in a way that would be genious, in a way...retarded..i get what you mean, i want to believe it...but i cant...i am not worried tho...im sure we have enough tricks to easily stick it to dallas!

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

He may have eased off the gas once the game was secured, but really at the end of the season a win against Minnesota matters just as much as a win against Dallas, except in terms of tiebreaks. Additionally, who cares if Dallas has all the mental advantages. That doesn't matter one bit. You think Dallas is going to fall asleep and forget the drubbing we gave them last year that booted them from the playoff chase?If we're better we win. If the refs cheat they win.

He did not ease off the gas. We made a huge run in the LAST FRICKIN' MINUTE of the game to tie it up. How is that easing off the gas? What game were you watching?

Man, this thread is unreal!

I think you need more sleep. your thoughts are not making any sense. you put too much emphasis on stupidity

I usually don't post in threads that have more than 2 pages, but I had to post in this one.

This is by far the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in regards to football!

Guess what? Preseason is over. These games count! We now have one less "W" in the win column and one more "L" in the loss column. This league is too close to pull stunts like that. Plus, you are asserting that Gibbs cares about beating the Cowboys more than he cares about beating the Vikings. You don't win your division by having the most division wins. Otherwise, we'd have won it last year.

You win your division by having the most wins in YOUR division. Therefore, the Vikings game would have been a valuable win towards winning our division.

This was just the dumbest thing I have ever heard!!!

Sorry :doh:

Archived