Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The NFL officials have a major problem...

Skins Addict

Until it becomes a full time job, we will see no improvement. The only option I think will improve things is if the instant replay is taken upstairs only. No coaches challenge, just an official who watches every replay.

We all have to live with the human factor, and mistakes being made by officials. As far as Sean Taylor, he must know his reputation is going to haunt him, and he has to be carefull not to take chances close to officials.

This all goes to show that my invention idea is perfect. I have been lobbying for the adoption of the ref bot and GPS football. We can tell exactly where the ball should be spotted at the end of a play and have a truly unbiased refbot that wont be stirring up any homecooking. Between this and my idea for the perscription wind shield in vehicles I don't know which will make me rich first.

The NHL employs an instant replay system that goes to the league office in Toronto for instant review. They do not leave it to review officials who are part of the stadium crew. This eliminates any need to file a petition or request for the league to review the video after the game, you know instantaneously. Now THAT is instant replay. Would it be totally unheard of for the premier professional sports league in the world to maybe consider that kind of model?

Well, as long as there are refs they will be making good calls and bad calls. The fact is, they can call a game fine and screw up one big play and the game is completely screwed up for one of the teams. It's a tough job with ZERO rewards - all anyone does is complain about them. I'd give them a break.

Also I personally like the system that NCAA football has in place, where the ref on the field never looks at the video. The refs in the booth tell him if it's the right call and he doesn't debate it with them. I think the NFL should go to that system.

I think Pittman should have been tossed also. I know spitting is inexcusable, but Pittman isn't the first man to get spit on (Romanowski anyone?). I think the 2nd player in a scuffle always gets a bad deal. You mean to tell me the 7 officials on the field cannot see the first punch thrown. I find that inexcusable especially when it is on replay.

They are terrible, and aren't getting any better. You are watching the Notorious Flags League.

First, most people believe the refs handed the Superbowl to the Steelers last season. Then, they failed to improve their officiating skills during the offseason, as evident by their abysmal performances in several games during Week 1:

Bills vs. Pats (4th quarter) - Oh my God, how many more times are the refs gonna suck the Patriots ****. Interception by the Bills, but... clipping during the return (against the Bills)... the interceptor is running down the middle of the field (but refs wistle the play dead saying he stepped out of bounds!). During the Bills insuing possession, clipping is called as the ball carrier steps out of bounds (against the Bills). Wipes out a first down. During the Pats final clock-milking possession, there's a no-call even though a Pats blocker clips right in front of the ref! First down, game over. ...

I may not be accurate in these.

This is f'kng infuriating.

I wonder how many times the Pats and the Steelers stole and won the game, just because the stupid, stupid, stupid ref gave them the winning edge that let them won those games.

I think Pats stole one SB from the Rams.

Steelers stole one SB from the Seahawks.

The NHL employs an instant replay system that goes to the league office in Toronto for instant review. They do not leave it to review officials who are part of the stadium crew. ...

Reviewing by the NFL HQ is very good idea.

For the purpose of facilitating a FAIR and JUST game, ... ...

All 15 yards penalties should be opened to challenge and reviewable by the ref in NFL HQ, not the refs on the field or even upstair ref.

On any penalty that creates a scoring chance be it a FG or TD or safety,

NFL Competition Committee MUST allow extra time (3 minutes) for the head coaches to challenge the questionable call.

I am glad this was brought up. The Tampa game where we lost, you could clearly see as plain as day that The runners elbow which was holding the ball touched the ground before he streched out across the goal line. Secondly, Sean Taylors spitting incident was a farse!! I agree that spitting is grounds for being thrown out, but when does intention and acual achievement meet?? Did he spit? YES. Did it hit his facemask and drop straight down not even coming close to the intended target?? YES. So why did it become grounds for being thrown out?? So if I intent to flip off a ref and my finger gets stuck on my uniform but the ref notices and interprets my intention I should be thrown out even though I never really accomplished my infraction?? C'mon!!

What I have noticed lately is that refs aren't consistent. First, Refs are human and make mistakes. That's the nature of the game. As long as they are consistant, I don't mind. When they call Pass interference on us and let the other team get away with it, is when I have a problem. When things even out it's ok. But lately, they haven't. A few bad calls on us and less on the opponent isn't fair and isn't goof reffing!! I have always been of the mind set that reffing a football game should be like a basketball game. As long as the infraction doesn't affect the ability of the WR to catch the ball it shouldn't be called. If they are fighting with their arms up until the catch let them. Once it affects the WR and he cannot catch the ball BECAUSE of the contact than make the call!!!! Dam how hard is this.

That is why I like the idea of former players becoming REFS!! How cool. guys who know the intentions and how players think call the game!!! Rather than being legalistic about how they make calls.

That is why I like the idea of former players becoming REFS!! How cool. guys who know the intentions and how players think call the game!!! Rather than being legalistic about how they make calls.

I cant say i agree with you only because we have seen by the media (Tom Jackson,Chris Collinsworth) that just because you are a former player does not mean you are unbiased. Tom Jackson is one of the most homeristic and biased, dare i say it ......... reporter, out there. now of course in the age of free agency ties to ones team are not as strong as once was but aggendas still are.

HTTR

This has gone on at least the past 2 seasons.

Is it getting worse?

What about the Minny TE lobbying for a call and getting it 10 seconds after the play ended?

That one alone sent me through the roof, not too mention the no-call on Darren Sharper's hit on Brandon Lloyd. :mad: when does a player whining get you a call if you dont have an agenda? :mad:

I didn't watch the Giants game but I heard from an unbiased friend that it did cost them the game. Wasn't it a pretty big pass and/or a touchdown and then when it got overturned the next play Eli threw a pick? Game Over? I thought thats what happened maybe I'm wrong.

Wasn't the ref in the Monday night game the same one that through out S. Taylor during the Playoff game in T.B.??? I thought the calls against Sean were unjustified because of this did any body else observe that????

Mike Carey made the ejection call on ST in the playoffs because he was RIGHT there to see it. However, he was NOT the one who made the call for the unsportsmanlike conduct on Monday, that was the line judge who botched it up badly. :2cents:

I am glad this was brought up. The Tampa game where we lost, you could clearly see as plain as day that The runners elbow which was holding the ball touched the ground before he streched out across the goal line. Secondly, Sean Taylors spitting incident was a farse!! I agree that spitting is grounds for being thrown out, but when does intention and acual achievement meet?? Did he spit? YES. Did it hit his facemask and drop straight down not even coming close to the intended target?? YES. So why did it become grounds for being thrown out??

I have to politely disagree with you. If Taylor was just spitting to get a wad out of his mouth or he had a bad taste, he would've turned his head or spit down on the ground. Carey was right there and saw it. So did everyone else. To say that getting kicked out for this is a farce, is just looking through burgundy glasses and being a total homer. On second note, as I said earlier in the thread, I think Pittman should have been thrown out for the punch he threw. Carey was wrong when he said that he didn't throw Pittman out because, he would've probably punched him also if he was Pittman. Lame excuse. Both should have been ejected: Tayor Spitting and Pittman throwing a punch.

Just because they are paid full time wages doesn't mean they'll do a good job.. I think officials should be fined for obvious bad calls, that includes calls that aren't made IE Brandon Lloyd taking a shot unprotected. Players can be find, why not officials?

I think you'd see a lot less flags through due to a player lobbying. A flag should never ever come out 10 seconds after a play is over and the opposing player is complaining.

Just because they are paid full time wages doesn't mean they'll do a good job.. I think officials should be fined for obvious bad calls, that includes calls that aren't made IE Brandon Lloyd taking a shot unprotected. Players can be find, why not officials?

I think you'd see a lot less flags through due to a player lobbying. A flag should never ever come out 10 seconds after a play is over and the opposing player is complaining.

You will not see that with the system the way it is now. The official would tell them to stuff the fine. Why not, its not like the officiating is how they make their money.

Thats why you need full time officials. It would be how they support their family. I think they would be a bit more serious about it then.

You will not see that with the system the way it is now. The official would tell them to stuff the fine. Why not, its not like the officiating is how they make their money.

Thats why you need full time officials. It would be how they support their family. I think they would be a bit more serious about it then.

I think a tandem of both would be great.. Here is 60,000 dollars a year.. But you screw up and we're taking 5k.. You screw up enough and your fired.

Bob is just looking into changing careers. Nothing to se here. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

I agree with you and G-Prime ( who is that anyway? :silly: ). Changes NEED to be made and I think so far, the best idea that I have heard is what you and G have been saying. :cheers:

Here is a post I made on 11-14-05. I think it is still very valid.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127051

Irregadless of the Tampa game it's a crime the NFL does not have full time paid officials whose profession it is to officiate. There have been horrid calls both for and against most teams this year and last and the year before that.

!

irregardless isn't a word

I think a tandem of both would be great.. Here is 60,000 dollars a year.. But you screw up and we're taking 5k.. You screw up enough and your fired.
Bob is just looking into changing careers. Nothing to se here. :rolleyes:

For that amount of money?? I don't think so. ;)

Its funny how gambling on pro sports is on the rise!!! I wouldn't doubt it if some of these refs are betting or getting paid by somebody, gotta keep the spreads to get paid!!! Check the spreads and the final score at the end of a game, then see if there is more penalties then normal? that is a almost sure sign.

I just know that the refs should be paid a contract it would only be fair, but where would the cost come out of? Yea that's right higher ticket prices, and etc. I think the NFL needs to step in and make sure things are fair for everybody.

But I like the new ref uniforms (LOL) maybe they should ve invested in new eye wear instead (LOL)

Archived