Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Broke down every pass play via Tivo

Beaudry

Broke down every pass play via Tivo and the results are conclusive: I am an idiot. Brunell wasn't bad and certainly didn't cost us the game. The offense, for the most part, looked like it hadn't been together very long. The two biggest problems were playcalling by Saunders and blocking by Samuels.

1. WR Screen - big gain

2. RB Swing/screen - Dockery whiffs completely on what could have been a very nice play.

3. Toss left - 5 yds

4. 1st down pass. 3 man rush, no pressure. Brunell did roll into the pressure instead of stepping into the pocket. Threw of the back foot.

5. A.R.E. run - 5 yds

6. Brunell scrambles for a 1st down. Thomas missed his block a bit, but Brunell could have stepped up and had time to throw. Left WR looked open in the middle for 15+ yards.

7. Toss left - 1 yd

8. Pass middle for 1st down, threw off the back foot with no pressure.

9. Run 2 yds

10. Run 3 yds

11. Complete 2 yds. Off the back foot with no pressure from a 3 yd rush.

Drive #2

1. Incomplete pass. Pressure through Samuels

2. Pass to RB in flats - 5 yds

3. Pass 8 yds, 1st down. Nice pass and blocking

4. Run - 0 yds

5. 5WR, good pocket, 6 yd complete

6. Swing/screen to Betts for a long gain

7. Toss left, Portis TD

Drive #3

1 & 2. My ESPN decided local commerials were more important than these plays. Thank you Midcontinent Communications.

3. Incomplete, throw away. 3 man rush, nobody looked open.

Drive #4

1. Pass deep to Moss - stepped up in pocket, very nice. Great pocket with 6 man rush. Left WR was wide open on stop route.

2. Fumbled handoff. Samuels was trying to cut the DT, which looked like an impossible play for a LT to make. If the handoff was made, it could have been a TD, though.

3. Throway off the back foot. Could have stepped up in pocket.

4. Incomplete to Moss who was hit by Sharper. Throw off the back foot with moderate pressure on a 4 man rush. Mostly a good play by Sharper.

Halftime

Drive #5

1. (5 yd penalty false start Dockery)

PA rollout left, no pressure, throw away with lots of time left. I hate when Brunell does this. Try to make something happen.

2. Draw run left 4 yds

3. Incomplete, throw away. Betts whiffed on the blitzer and Brunell had no time.

Drive #6

1. 15 yd run by Portis, very nice.

2. Run 5 yds

3. PA Pass 15 yards. Nice pocket, nice setup, nice pass

4. Run 5 yards (Portis currently 7 carries for 34 yards)

5. Run A.R.E. 3 yards

6. Incomplete pass. Samuels whiffed DE trying to cut him. Roughing penalty 1st down.

7. Toss right - 7 yds

8. Run 2 yds

9. Incomplete pass. Spread formation, everybody covered. Spread formation on 3rd and 2 from near the goalline? Thank you Mr. Saunders.

Drive #7

1. Pass RB flat - 8 yards. Nice pocket.

2. Run 5 yds

3. Run 1 yd

4. TE Screen for loss of yards. #88 whiffs his block.

5. 3rd & 17. Incomplete pass. Brunell misses a 7 yard out.

Drive #8

1. Pass quick slant - 11 yards - very nice pass/catch

2. Toss left - 1 yd

3. Pass RB flat - 2yd - no pressure. Brunell could have tried to make something happened here with no pressure. Sellers was immediately tackled.

4. Pass swing/screen to RB again (this play was open for us all night) - Blocked at the line by the DE. Samuels doesn't do cut block this time. Not sure why since you need that DE cut to run that play.

Drive #9

The final drive. My Tivo cuts out. Nice deep ball to Moss. Nice passes to sidelines. Even if ARE gets the 1st down, I don't think we run another play with so little time left.

Thanks for the analysis--what sticks out to me the most, is the lack of running plays up the middle...we should have pounded that ball up the middle...we must use the run to set up the play-action...and not the other way around.

That would have been damn near impossible to do on Pat and Kevin Williams. You h ave to get those guys going east and west to have any shot. Thomas, Rabach, and Dockery stood no chance going up and trying to bull those big ass guys. We had to get to the outside to have any shot. It will be interesting to see if its a part of the gameplan this week.

VERY Thorough analysis dudeski! I love it! You make me feel like I'm a bad Redskin fan going to all that trouble...but on the other hand, I DID fly out from Phoenix after going to the Cards/49ers game and not sleeping for 2 days...

It just seems to me that we are so hesitant to put a drive away. Gibbs said we didn't use Ducket because we had no goal line situations...but when it's 1st and goal from the 9, we can run TJ and get 5 yards and THAT would be successful...

I don't like Betts coming IN on 3rd and long and Portis going out...

I htink we should do JUST what the Falcons did with Ducket and Dunn, trust me, I know since I have had Dunn on my fantasy it seems lik every year...they run with Dunn the length of the field until they get inside the 10, not the inside the 5, but inside the 10...then they just pound away. Yeah, Vick would take alot in himself and the defense always had to watch out for him which took some of the pressure off Ducket...but REALLY, you don't get any bigger back inside the goal line than Ducket!

DUCKET! DUCKET! DUCKET!

He can score 12-15 TDs for us if we give him the chance.

Beaudry, I made a comment to you in the other thread. I was interrupted in the process, hence it's placement there before seeing this thread. Still, while Mark did not cost us the game, he could have certainly done better. Some of that is comfort in the new system, some of it is Mark, IMO. He certainly didn;t "suck" or "cost us the game." The coaches are not simply talking cliches when describing most of our wons and losses the last couppe years as being "team" things and not primarily on the back (again, win or loss) of any one player. :cheers:

Thanks for the analysis--what sticks out to me the most, is the lack of running plays up the middle...we should have pounded that ball up the middle...we must use the run to set up the play-action...and not the other way around.

I agree,I want to hear "Duckett up the middle, again and again...then Portis on the outside... Touchdown".

Great thread and nice analysis. :applause: I wish people would actually look at something like this and understand the game better rather than make crazy accusations towards the most "comfortable" scapegoats. ( ie. Brunell, Rogers, Archuletta )

Example #1! :

Brunell was a problem in this game. he missed open recievers, checked down way to quickly, and locked on to moss to often missing a wipe open lloyd in the endzone when moss was decked by sharper.

You obviously didn't look at this breakdown and did not watch the game then. Maybe has something to do with you name? :doh:

Brunell was a problem in this game. he missed open recievers, checked down way to quickly, and locked on to moss to often missing a wipe open lloyd and Portis in the endzone when moss was decked by sharper.

From the camera angles, you couldn't really tell what the coverage on Lloyd was like. I tried to see that like 10 times and all I could figure is that it was probably 1 on 1. I know a cornerback lined up outside of Lloyd on the edge.

Were you at the game?

Great thread... :applause:...I love when the game I just saw is slowed down and broken down like this by someone who can give some logical and reasonable explanation behind what is seen...

Also commend you for saying "the results are conclusive: I am an idiot"...lol :laugh: Not too many would say that AND give factual reasons why they now think they are...lol :cheers:

Great thread and nice analysis. :applause: I wish people would actually look at something like this and understand the game better rather than make crazy accusations towards the most "comfortable" scapegoats. ( ie. Brunell, Rogers, Archuletta )

Example #1! :

You obviously didn't look at this breakdown and did not watch the game then. Maybe has something to do with you name? :doh:

Um actually i was AT the game which gives you a different perspective than what the T.V. allows you to see and i have watched the game three times since it was tivod at home.

I have not said Brunell stunk up the joint or bashed him. I have tried to give my opinion from what i saw and what i saw was this

. open recievers being missed

. Brunell on most occassions not reading the whole field

. Running out of the pocket into pressure when it was un-needed

. Hesitant to get Cooley the ball while he was running seams down the middle of the field, ect.

Brunell didnt do anything for us to lose exactly but he didnt do anything for us to win either

Very good analysis. I agree with pretty much everything here. And like EA said, I feel like everything you said was what I was seeing.

Also, you can't help but notice the dynamic that Portis brings to this offense. He's a much better blocker and runner, than Betts.I feel like there was someone open on just about every play, but either Brunell got rid of it too quickly, or had pressure in his face. One thing that I wondered as I read this is, how much could the Saunders timing based offense have to do with Brunell throwing off his back foot, and giving up on plays too early? Maybe, maybe not. But we'll see.

Brunell was a problem in this game. he missed open recievers, checked down way to quickly, and locked on to moss to often missing a wipe open lloyd and Portis in the endzone when moss was decked by sharper.

I wholeheartedly agree with the quick check downs..after I dvr-ed the game and watched @ midnight, 3rd down pissed me off so much I started to watch every one and document it in a thread, It may still be on here somewhere...I fell asleep around 4 AM..so I only got thru the 1st quarter..

There was one pass to Portis where there was no rush and Brunell didnt allow for the play to develop..I"ll chalk that up to inexperience in the system. He probably had the clock in his head ticking (better than Ramsey holding on too long thanks to Spurrier)

I would like to see more screen passes to get Portis in the open field..Anyone remember Priest Holmes on the screen pass when we went to KC?

From the camera angles, you couldn't really tell what the coverage on Lloyd was like. I tried to see that like 10 times and all I could figure is that it was probably 1 on 1. I know a cornerback lined up outside of Lloyd on the edge.

Were you at the game?

Yeah it is hard to see on t.v. but portis hesitates out the backfield and slips to the bottom left of the field and would have walked in if he got the ball. LLoyd lost his man on a move towards the goal post and back to the corner and then was jumping up and down for the ball in the corner. The only way to really see it is to watch it from the start then you will see portis slip out. When they show the hit on moss from behind you can see llyod in the far corner.

I came away with the clear impression the Redskins did not find a way to use a lot of their weapons against the Vikings defense. Either it was because the Vikings were very well prepared for this offense and limited the opportunities that well, or it was because Saunders limited what the offense was going to run and that choice of packages all but eliminated the contributions of several players I think are critical to the team's chances to win.

Chris Cooley, Brandon Lloyd, TJ Duckett.......these were all skill players that the team paid dearly to have on this team. Draft choices given up for Lloyd and Duckett. A move up in the draft to grab Cooley.

How can you not use a 250 pound back in a game where the score is close and you are having trouble maintaining possession of the ball?

In regards to Lloyd and Cooley, I still don't understand how the Vikings were able to test our #3 and #4 corners at times and yet the Redskins never were able to attack the Vikings back seven with any consistency.

If the deep ball was not there because of a cover backfield and good pressure from the Vikings front four, then why not turn the tables and use Duckett, Cooley, Portis and the others in our own version of the short possession game and put heat on the Vikings most vulnerable unit, their linebackers? :)

I wholeheartedly agree with the quick check downs..after I dvr-ed the game and watched @ midnight, 3rd down pissed me off so much I started to watch every one and document it in a thread, It may still be on here somewhere...I fell asleep around 4 AM..so I only got thru the 1st quarter..

There was one pass to Portis where there was no rush and Brunell didnt allow for the play to develop..I"ll chalk that up to inexperience in the system. He probably had the clock in his head ticking (better than Ramsey holding on too long thanks to Spurrier)

I would like to see more screen passes to get Portis in the open field..Anyone remember Priest Holmes on the screen pass when we went to KC?

Yeah that was frustrating as well, he had no real pressure and hit portis when he had 2 defenders on him, the recievers hadnt even broke into there routes yet. For anyone who has it tivod its right after portis first carry in the game

I came away with the clear impression the Redskins did not find a way to use a lot of their weapons against the Vikings defense. Either it was because the Vikings were very well prepared for this offense and limited the opportunities that well, or it was because Saunders limited what the offense was going to run and that choice of packages all but eliminated the contributions of several players I think are critical to the team's chances to win.

Chris Cooley, Brandon Lloyd, TJ Duckett.......these were all skill players that the team paid dearly to have on this team. Draft choices given up for Lloyd and Duckett. A move up in the draft to grab Cooley.

How can you not use a 250 pound back in a game where the score is close and you are having trouble maintaining possession of the ball?

In regards to Lloyd and Cooley, I still don't understand how the Vikings were able to test our #3 and #4 corners at times and yet the Redskins never were able to attack the Vikings back seven with any consistency.

If the deep ball was not there because of a cover backfield and good pressure from the Vikings front four, then why not turn the tables and use Duckett, Cooley, Portis and the others in our own version of the short possession game and put heat on the Vikings most vulnerable unit, their linebackers? :)

plays were there to be made Brunell either didnt have time to make them on some occassions and on others went with the safe throw rather than attack.

The Saunders offense was never big in running up the middle, they did a lot of sweeps and pulls and used the tackles and guards a lot more then just block up the middle.

What is interesting about this breakdown is if Samuels is the reason why pressure was on Brunell all night does this mean he is hurt or has he just lost it, or the guy he was blocking was just much better.

Archived