Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

0-4 preseason = SB birth

Cambl2Moss

Preface this post by sayin: I am not worried at all about preseason becuase I think its a joke. Preaseason means absolutely nothing, and I think we will be flying out of the gates on 9.11.....however.....

I've heard from numerous people ( on ES, on Mike and Mike, and from others) that Pittsburgh went 0-4 in the preseason their SB year. I looked up online, and although while true the starters didnt score any TD's, NFL.com shows them as being 3-1...

I thought they were 0-4 too, so can someone please explain?

I've heard from numerous people ( on ES, on Mike and Mike, and from others) that Pittsburgh went 0-4 in the preseason their SB year. I looked up online, and although while true the starters didnt score any TD's, NFL.com shows them as being 3-1...

I thought they were 0-4 too, so can someone please explain?

Yes. Bubba was panicking about your performance, so he pulled some crazy preseason records from last year to make everyone in redskin land feel better about themselves.

Listen.......the actual record 0-4 or 4-0 doesn't mean anything. It really doesn't. Its all about how you're first stringers look. Even your second stringers performance is too, although to a lesser degree.

Most of these games are decided by guys who will never make their teams. So the win/loss thing is unimportant.

skins fans are worried because their first stringers have looked horrific. Go ahead and say you're not worried, and Gibbs is hiding the true awesomeness of your offense, blah, blah, blah. Nobody believes you. Heck, even Bubba is worried. And he's the biggest homer in the free world. Now, he would never admit he's worried, but rest assured, he is. And any fan would be.

I gotta tell you. I'm sick of the preseason and the lame excuses everyone is coming up with. Around here you get the feeling that the Redskins are the only ****ing team in the league that play a vanilla scheme. Guess what? Joe Gibbs isn't the only coach in the NFL who does. I'd venture to say that most coaches do this. So where in the hell is this theory that one team game planned for you while you only practiced for them for half of an afternoon coming from?

It comes from worried fans. And guess what.. ITS OK TO BE WORRIED!! You might get made fun or poked at a little bit but it's natural!! We're all human beings. I'd be worried too if I were a Redskin fan!!

Ok. I needed to say that.

That is all.

I think the reference to the Steelers being 0-4 is to their preseason record THIS year, not last year...I guess a way of saying "The SB champions went winless in the preseason, too...is everyone freaking out about them?"

For me, though, I don't care about what Cowher does in the preseason...I care about what Gibbs does (and what his teams show) in the preseason. And Gibbs has a history of taking bad preseason performances and turning them into postseason appearances. That, is undeniable. And when I say "bad preseason performances", I'm not talking about simple win/loss records. It's one reason I'm able to remain optimistic and confident in a realistic manner...because I've seen it all before, and I know how it can realistically turn out once the games start counting.

Last preseason the starting offense wasn't all that great, either...but we kept seeing the receivers getting separation and getting open. We're seeing them doing the same things this preseason. Last preseason we kept seeing Portis get good yards on the few carries he'd be given in each of the games. Unfortunately we weren't able to see Portis get but one carry this preseason, but at least he showed the same power, speed and agility on that one carry that he's shown for the past two seasons here. As long as he returns healthy, I have no reason to wonder about anything concerning the run game.

Last year the starting defense look extremely strong, and this year it's been no different. The fact that half of our starting d-linemen have been out for most of the preseason has probably had its effect on what we've seen, as well as Gregg Williams apparently putting certain players in certain positions that they'd never be put in during the regular season.

If our guys weren't "talented" enough to be very productive running vanilla plays in vanilla schemes that they'll never have to play in again, I couldn't give a rat's ass.

My only areas of concern are the kicking game (Hall was horrible), the kickoff coverage units, and Jon Jansen's performance (he was beat more times than I can EVER remember).

I gotta tell you. I'm sick of the preseason and the lame excuses everyone is coming up with. Around here you get the feeling that the Redskins are the only ****ing team in the league that play a vanilla scheme. Guess what? Joe Gibbs isn't the only coach in the NFL who does. I'd venture to say that most coaches do this. So where in the hell is this theory that one team game planned for you while you only practiced for them for half of an afternoon coming from?

It comes from worried fans. And guess what.. ITS OK TO BE WORRIED!! You might get made fun or poked at a little bit but it's natural!! We're all human beings. I'd be worried too if I were a Redskin fan!!

That is all.

Do you really need to post on every single thread that is made?

Yes. Bubba was panicking about your performance, so he pulled some crazy preseason records from last year to make everyone in redskin land feel better about themselves.

Listen.......the actual record 0-4 or 4-0 doesn't mean anything. It really doesn't. Its all about how you're first stringers look. Even your second stringers performance is too, although to a lesser degree.

Most of these games are decided by guys who will never make their teams. So the win/loss thing is unimportant.

skins fans are worried because their first stringers have looked horrific. Go ahead and say you're not worried, and Gibbs is hiding the true awesomeness of your offense, blah, blah, blah. Nobody believes you. Heck, even Bubba is worried. And he's the biggest homer in the free world. Now, he would never admit he's worried, but rest assured, he is. And any fan would be.

Wow We, another brilliant pack of spins

can you provide the link where I started the thread or even post a single post about the "steelers going 0-4 last season"

seriously, if you are going to accuse me of doing something at least have the decency of providing proof you "might" be telling the truth

if not you might get a vacation like Westbrook36 did for doing the same thing

also, When did you become a mind reader? seriously I am curious I am panicking?.... just I won't admit it? :whoknows:

nothing like making ridiculous claims, and not having any evidence to back it up :thumbsup:

for the record We I posted a thread showing the Colts went 0-5 last preseason, including a 39-0 rout by the bengals, and went what 13 staraight wins before losing

and the Browns, went 3-1 in preseason last year looked good, and then went 6-10

you walking a fine line We' a very fine line :security:

for the record We I posted a thread showing the Colts went 0-5 last preseason, including a 39-0 rout by the bengals, and went what 13 staraight wins before losing

you walking a fine line We' a very fine line

C'mon Bubba, leave the little fella alone-he is obviously in denial-look at his name, it is so '04 yet he still clings to it. And really don't you have some serious fretting to do. Haha.

I am worried...about the stuff that matters:

John Hall looks like he has no confidence in his leg.

Sean Springs is hurt.

CP has a shoulder injury.

If we have an injury on the offensive line, Im scared we have little to no quality depth.

Mark Brunell staying healthy is the key to the whole season.

Everything else that happend (scoring, etc.) means nothing to me.

Joe, Al and the boys got something special for the Vikings on 9/11.

(Im sure they are saving a little somethin for all you Cowboys fans out there too, so dont fret)

you walking a fine line We' a very fine line :security:

First off, quit bringing up the Colts! The Redskins aint the Colts! The Colts are a perenial playoff team and the Skins are not.

Also who cares about making the playoffs? It's all about jewelry, not just making it to the post-season.

For the record........

1 outta 40 SB winning teams has gone winless in the pre-season (91-92 Skins).

32 outta 40 SB winning teams have won at least half of their games in pre-season.

First off, quit bringing up the Colts! The Redskins aint the Colts! The Colts are a perenial playoff team and the Skins are not.

Also who cares about making the playoffs? It's all about jewelry, not just making it to the post-season.

For the record........

32 outta 40 SB winning teams have won at least half of their games in pre-season.

So that kinda works in our favor. I like it.

The Colts are perennial playoff chokers, you mean...

Well, hell, then...using your logic who cares about winning the first game of the season...or the second game??...or any of the first six games? It's all about jewelry, not just winning in September.

:rolleyes:

You can't make it to the Super Bowl without first making it to the playoffs...so having a goal--not THE ONLY goal--of making the playoffs would kinda sorta make sense, wouldn't it.

For the record........

For the record........

The 91-92 Skins went 1-3, not 0-4. It was the 82-83 Skins that went 0-4 ini the preseason and went on to win the Super Bowl. Which means that of Gibbs' three Super Bowl championships, two of them compiled a combined preseason record of 1-7.

Also think of this...using your own stats, only 8 out of 40 SB winning teams had a preseason record of 1-3 or worse. And of those 8 teams, TWO of them were coached by Joe Gibbs.

What you've shown is that Gibbs' teams are the exception to the rule when it comes to preseason results and play and what happens in the regular season.

That is all.

Amen.

It's okay to be a little bit concerned or worried.

The Skins are not the only team that plays a vanilla style offense and defense in preseason. Teams with good coaches usually do. Dallas ran the ball 82% of the time on first down in preseason (ran it 55% on first down in 2005). They also ran it up the middle 60% of the time in preseason, compared to 43% of the time in 2005.

As a Dallas fan, I have plenty of concerns and Dallas pretty much had an excellent preseason. Even if they played a perfect preseason, I'd still have concerns about the team. Even if they went 15-1 in the regular season, I'd have some worries for the playoffs.

It's just being realistic.

YAKUZA

The Colts are perennial playoff chokers, you mean...

Then why would Bubba wanna compare y'all to such chokers?

Well, hell, then...using your logic who cares about winning the first game of the season...or the second game??...or any of the first six games? It's all about jewelry, not just winning in September.

:rolleyes:

You can't make it to the Super Bowl without first making it to the playoffs...so having a goal--not THE ONLY goal--of making the playoffs would kinda sorta make sense, wouldn't it.

Bubba (as many others around here have) brought up the Colts........ as a defense for how well a team can do in the regular season, after having a winless preseason. My point (obviously) was that while many teams may have rallied to make the playoffs after a winless preseason, only one has reached the ultimate goal.

The title of this thread was "0-4 preseason = SB birth". The answer is astoundingly no.

For the record........

The 91-92 Skins went 1-3, not 0-4. It was the 82-83 Skins that went 0-4 ini the preseason and went on to win the Super Bowl. Which means that of Gibbs' three Super Bowl championships, two of them compiled a combined preseason record of 1-7.

Also think of this...using your own stats, only 8 out of 40 SB winning teams had a preseason record of 1-3 or worse. And of those 8 teams, TWO of them were coached by Joe Gibbs.

What you've shown is that Gibbs' teams are the exception to the rule when it comes to preseason results and play and what happens in the regular season.

You're right, I had my years mixed up.

That 1982 Redskins team that went 0-4 in the preseason and then won the SB, they did it in a strike shortened season (only 9 games long!).

Also, I doubt those other Redskin teams were out-scored 104 - 27 (the Skins lowest preseason total EVER).

Good luck with all that. :cool:

Archived