Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Article from CNNSI: An opposing team's scout comments on Skins.

ConcordNCSkinsFan

This was put on CNNSI. It has these thoughts on each team given by anonymous opposing team scouts. Here were the observations on SKins.

• The chemistry on this team is a big concern. They've definitely upgraded their roster, but it's such a revolving door there that it's tough to say how everyone will coexist.

Mark Brunell rarely throws two good balls in a row. He's not a high-percentage passer. How can he still be an NFL starter?

• Handing the offense over to Al Saunders will improve the receivers immeasurably. He's the best receivers coach I've ever seen.

Andre Carter could be this year's version of Oakland's Derrick Burgess. Carter, a phenomenal pass rusher who wasn't being used right, gets to show his stuff. He can get 14 sacks.

Carlos Rogers is a hell of a corner -- big, fast and strong. He could have a monster year.

• They paid too much money [$31 million] for Antwaan Randle El. He makes one big play a game.

Interesting views both Negative and Positive. Especially about Brunell.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/08/30/scouts.nfc/

3 positive, 2 negative, and 1 (the last one) indifferent as a scout really shouldn't care how much we spend on someone as that doesn't affect the product on the field.

I think I'd have to say these are all fair comments. I didn't realize people were that high on Rogers around the league.

Ditto. How much we pay someone is a business decision. Unless it somehow can be related to team chemistry, etc. Scouts may be jealous of how we always seem to find the money to pay the people we want.

• The chemistry on this team is a big concern. They've definitely upgraded their roster, but it's such a revolving door there that it's tough to say how everyone will coexist.

• Mark Brunell rarely throws two good balls in a row. He's not a high-percentage passer. How can he still be an NFL starter?

18-22 returning starters

throwing balls away is not bad throws

18-22 returning starters

Good point on the first comment.

I am a HUGE Brunell supporter, but I think they have a small point about his inconsistency with his throws. Even taking away his throw-aways...he can throw some BAD passes...maybe not every other like the scout says, but he has some ugly ones that are intended for WRs. Just trying to stay objective!

:2cents:

Mark Brunell rarely throws two good balls in a row. He's not a high-percentage passer. How can he still be an NFL starter?

• Handing the offense over to Al Saunders will improve the receivers immeasurably. He's the best receivers coach I've ever seen.

oxymoron

Ditto. How much we pay someone is a business decision. Unless it somehow can be related to team chemistry, etc. Scouts may be jealous of how we always seem to find the money to pay the people we want.

Business decision is true but I'm still trying to stomach that contract, backloaded or not.

18-22 returning starters

Bubba

I think he is talking about the fact that you guys only have 2 players (maybe a couple more?) that have been here 5 years or more.

You have to admit that when a player has a couple of bad years the skins give up on them and move on quickly.

His only observation that I find questionable are his remarks about "Chemistry". That is the one thing that is a STAPLE of a Gibbs-led team!

And I think the comment about "paid too much" for ARE is simply a matter of perspective. A player we can rely on for one big play a game might have been deemed to be worth the expenditure to our guys upstairs.

Good point on the first comment.

I am a HUGE Brunell supporter, but I think they have a small point about his inconsistency with his throws. Even taking away his throw-aways...he can throw some BAD passes...maybe not every other like the scout says, but he has some ugly ones that are intended for WRs. Just trying to stay objective!

:2cents:

Agree. Taking away the Cincy game he makes a few more mistakes when he is flushed out of the pocket. It's frustrating but understandable (sometimes).

That one interception in the Tampa Bay game may have been the toughest one to accept.

I'm sorry, but what the hell kind of "scouting" is this? It sounds like a fan just scribbled down a bunch of opinions. This is pure garbage. Honestly, if a "scout" was doing research on a team, and he had quotes like this in the report, he'd be fired on the spot.

Bubba

I think he is talking about the fact that you guys only have 2 players (maybe a couple more?) that have been here 5 years or more.

You have to admit that when a player has a couple of bad years the skins give up on them and move on quickly.

Just like when players have a good year and want more money and would sell the team out for another big contract from another team!! I guess if one of your LB sucked year in and out you guys will keep paying him and keep him? Make sense please.

I'm sorry, but what the hell kind of "scouting" is this? It sounds like a fan just scribbled down a bunch of opinions. This is pure garbage. Honestly, if a "scout" was doing research on a team, and he had quotes like this in the report, he'd be fired on the spot.

Yea I agree I think someone is bs'ing CNN and SI:dallasuck

Bubba

yet one of the pluses about last season, was a tight knit group and a very good locker room

Bubba

Two bad years and not only can a player be off of this team but he can be out of the NFL completely. What is the average lenth of NFL players career anyway? I wouldnt think much more than two years at best. On the flip side, look at Brunnell and he's still starting.

Unfortunately, I Agree with all of it, and yes, even the Brunell one.

Cmon, questioning how the guy is still a starter is absurd. First he could of gone to the probowl last year. Second look around the NFL there are far worst starters.

Even though the comments are coming from scouts and should therefore carry more weight, it really does come down to a matter of opinion. For instance when discussing Dallas one of the scouts comment on how they should not have let Larry Allen go. Yet in the San Francisco preview there is a comment about how Larry Allen doesn't have much left in the tank.

Archived