Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this a Scam??

capitolpunishment

Im trying to sale my mountain bike on Craigslist. I get an offer over and above the asking price and he wants to pay using something called Alert Pay? Never heard of it. Anyway here is the email I received from him. Anyone with input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

CP

I am very grateful and impressed you reply my question and i am ready to make the immediate payment which is via AlertPay International Money Order and for the payment to commence all i need is your payment address and your full email address so the payment can be made and once the payment has been approved by the Alertpay Money Oder Company you will receive a confirmation notification mail from AlertPay for you to be sure that i have paid for the item and after the confirmation has been recieved,the shipment will take place which will be handled by my self cuz i have an account with a shipping company(Fedex Courier Service)by sending you fedex prepaid slips.(Note):

-You might have recieved some offers from different people reg arding your item,but i will like to be the highest bidder,so for this reason i am offering $1300 for the item hope you will accept my offer.So kindly send me your payment address for the payment to be posted immediately to your contact address.Thanks

Im trying to sale my mountain bike on Craigslist. I get an offer over and above the asking price and he wants to pay using something called Alert Pay? Never heard of it. Anyway here is the email I received from him. Anyone with input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

CP

I am very grateful and impressed you reply my question and i am ready to make the immediate payment which is via AlertPay International Money Order and for the payment to commence all i need is your payment address and your full email address so the payment can be made and once the payment has been approved by the Alertpay Money Oder Company you will receive a confirmation notification mail from AlertPay for you to be sure that i have paid for the item and after the confirmation has been recieved,the shipment will take place which will be handled by my self cuz i have an account with a shipping company(Fedex Courier Service)by sending you fedex prepaid slips.(Note):

-You might have recieved some offers from different people reg arding your item,but i will like to be the highest bidder,so for this reason i am offering $1300 for the item hope you will accept my offer.So kindly send me your payment address for the payment to be posted immediately to your contact address.Thanks

That has scam written all over it. Do a google search - I am sure I have seen this one before.

Scam. Never accept a money order as payment, under any circumstances.

EDIT: I suppose it's OK to accept a money order if you're able to wait several weeks for your bank to process it.

Scammers know that money orders (particularly international money orders) can take weeks to process, so you can deposit the money order in March, and then find out in April that it was a forgery; whereupon your bank will pull the funds back out of your account.

The fact that Alert Pay is a legit company does not mean this is not a scam. Money orders can be cancelled.

I am not sure about how this one would work, but it just smells fishy.

Heres some basic info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

True i didnt see the money order reference in the first post, overlooked that.

If u do accept a money order, DO NOT ship the item until you have recieved said money order and cashed it!

scam scam scam.

Its one thing to carry business off of the website, which does happen (to avoid the cut the website gets...but be VERY cautious of this), but red flags are set off when the guy wants to pay your more than asking price. Thats simply the scammer giving you more incentive to go off of the website.

Don't do it. Simply ignore the e-mail and act like you haven't had any offers.

I read about this scammer in Europe who bought a high end vehicle from somebody here in the states, but he overpaid. He paid something like 20 grand for a 12 grand vehicle. He paid electronically. Then, because he over paid, he asked for the seller to refund him the diff. The diff was eight grand. The seller checked his personal bank account, and it showed clearly that the 20 grand was in his account. So he refunded the buyer 8 grand.

A few days later, the 20 grand disappeared from his account giving him a negative balance, because the original funds transfer was fraudalent. It took several days for this to become clear. The seller lost eight grand.

I read about this scammer in Europe who bought a high end vehicle from somebody here in the states, but he overpaid. He paid something like 20 grand for a 12 grand vehicle. He paid electronically.

Someone tried this on me about five years ago. I had my car for sale on Autotrader, at about $25,000. I got an e-mail from a "buyer" claiming to be from the United Arab Emirates, offering $40,000 for my car. It was obvious from the start that it was a scam, since I was selling my M3, and I know that it can't be that hard to find BMWs in the UAE with all of the money over there. So the offer just seemed stupid.

I decided to play with the guy, though, and asked for details about how we would handle payment, shipping, etc. This is the best part. The jackball replied -- and I remember this almost verbatim -- "What else do you need to know? Just send me your name, your bank's name, and your account number."

Makes me laugh just thinking about it. I think I replied to his e-mail by calling him a bad name. Needless to say, I didn't hear back.

Good times. :laugh:

As far as money orders go, they're usually not a good idea, unless they're USPS money orders. At any rate, you should always confirm that the money order has cleared the issuing agency (i.e., hasn't bounced) before you ship anything.

Scam. Never accept a money order as payment, under any circumstances.

EDIT: I suppose it's OK to accept a money order if you're able to wait several weeks for your bank to process it.

Scammers know that money orders (particularly international money orders) can take weeks to process, so you can deposit the money order in March, and then find out in April that it was a forgery; whereupon your bank will pull the funds back out of your account.

I refuse to send or accept money orders. I've been burned in both instances. Live and learn I guess.

For web business, it's paypal or nothing. You are completely protected.

I don't trust paypal. I simply don't for personal protection (that is, by not having a paypal account, I am preventing my bank information from going online ANYWHERE but my bank's website..and to another extent, I'm also preventing myself from spending more online) and testimonials such as paypalsucks.com

And maybe I don't know how it works, but I don't know how you can refund a money order? I've purchased maybe 5 or 6 things off of eBay and have paid in money orders each time. Once you send the thing, it's pretty much a check guaranteed from the issuer, is it not? I had no idea you could cancel them. Heh...oh well.

Either way...

Scam. ;)

sounds like a scam to me.... here's the email i recieved for an engagement ring for sale.

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158027

I agreed to pay the amount you want as buy it now any

aditional money for the shipping.but i am using this opportunity to inform you that the amount that will be on the moneyorder will more than ur item fees.i don"t realy know the exact amount it will be.bcos it will be issue by my client.and the reason of the over payment is that.the amount on the moneyorder has been signed,and it is more than ur item fees.so once you receive it.you must deduct ur item fees and westernunion the balance money to my client manager in africa.and the item is going to africa.

there will be no problem about the shipment.i want you

to responsible for it.also make sure you deduct ur

item fees and westernunion any aditional money on the

m/o once you receive it..and email me ur phone# asap

today.

Below are the questions i have for you.

1)is the item in good condition?

2)is any westernunion location where you to send the

balance money money arround you?

3)can you make sure you get the m/o cash at ur bank

the sameday you receive it?

4)can you allow me to send DHL for the pick up and