Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Transcript of Bethard and Riggins on TJ Duckett(Merged)

blloyd33

Bobby Beathard is on with Riggins right now. He was with Atlanta for awhile.

He really likes Duckett. A lot. Says he is fast and strong and can find a hole. Thinks he could start, get 25 carries and put up 1500 yards.

Also thinks it was fair value for the picks we gave.

Says that he really thinks highly of him, and would be surprised if Duckett wasn't a big success here.

Bobby Beatherd was consulting the Falcons when Duckett was drafted. He was a phone guest on the John Riggins Show Wednesday evening: Here are the hilights:

Q: Tell me about TJ Duckett. Why did he become expendable in Atlanta?

A:"I love the kid, I don't wanna compare him to you (Riggins) but he's like you. They'd give him the ball (a few) times and stop. He has to carry the ball a lot.... I think for some reason the o-line coach there (Atl), Alex Gibbs didn't like him". I think it's a great change for TJ..a real good opportunity for him... he's the kind of back that really can help the 'Skins"

Q: Is he a 1500 yard back (with more carries)?

A: I think he is... he has vision speed, will punish guys...I usually call TJ, I bet he's happier than heck. He can give you some big games there. I don't know how quickly he'll be ready to play, but...

Q: What would have prompted you to make a trade like this, bringing in a guy with a top back already on the roster.

A: "It wasn't a big price, it was a third round pick. I don't know how long Portis is out, but if he's out for an extended period of time, the team is expecting big things this year.... I think in the next couple of preseason games, Joe and the coaches will find out what they want with this guy (TJ). It's a good problem to have, but not if you're the player.

Q: The price that's been reported is a third round pick. Who got the better part of the deal?

A: Time will tell. I think, having been around TJ, it (the third round pick) was a fair price to pay.

Q: Is short yardage his specialty?

A: One of the knocks was is he exxplosive at the start, but I think he's shop strong he makes up for it in strength. I don't know if he really got the chance he deserved in Atlanta. I think prretty highly of the guy".

Beatherd added: Duckett has some speed and can run away from some secondary people.

All in all, you can tell he loves Duckett, and believes he should have gotten more respect from the people in Atlanta.

i love the trade we gave a 3rd rounder for a RB that was selected in the FIRST round in 2002 he was the same draft class as portis and Betts, so have 1 first round pick running back in Duckett and 2 second round picks in Portis and Betts, obviously sayin we are set at RB

Now I'm confused. Won't DUcket be used the same way here as he is in Atlanta? A few carries every now and again?

No way does he supplant Portis.

I am not implying that TJ will supplant Clinton. Unless he does on the field.

This is Clinton's third shoulder injury. I am just glad that TJ can play if and when we do need him.

God, I love this trade even more after hearing Beathard talk about how good this guy is and how much Gibbs, Bugel, and Breaux will like him.

Duckett is going to be a beast in our offense.

They run zone blocking in Atlanta and that's more for quicker, smaller backs who can cut back easily. Yet he still was pretty successful.

Here, he's going to be going downhill. It's going to give us that punishing rush attack Gibbs was always famous for and that teams really didn't want to face in those days.

And it will open things up for Portis and lighten his load. He's going to look way more effective and healthy as a result. He'll do more with less.

With Duckett in the fold plus our new receivers, this really feels like a Gibbs team now. He always had the power RB and then the stacked receiving corps.

Get ready for quick strike TDs *and* long punishing drives.

And get ready for us to become one of the elite teams in the league, just like the old days. Teams will expect to lose to us again and hate having to come play us at our our place.

Hail.

Gibbs be back.

If he can't get down in an Alex Gibbs system...which is the best running system in the National Footbal League...then he, duckett, doesn't have a whole bunch of promise. But a change of venue can change an attitude. And maybe that's what he needs, because Bobby is a great talent evaluator

I think you people that really dig this trade are at best kidding yourselves and are at worst delusional.

If Duckett comes in here and performs well, then we will have two guys wanting the ball every down (in Clinton and Duckett). Well guess what? You can't run every down so somebody is going to be upset. It's just a simple fact of life, it happens. This is probably going to cause some strife in the locker room. Now maybe that's needed to get the offense to understand that they've looked liike crap BUT I doubt thats the reasoning behind it.

If he comes in here and sucks then we are out two draft picks and AGAIN are left wondering where we are going to add when it comes to depth. Definitely not through the draft.

It makes sense for XXXESPNRADIO to have guys on today that are going to favor Duckett and say good things about him and the trade. I heard that nut Larry Michaels, who never saw a posterior in the front office he didn't want to kiss, pronounce this as a STEAL. A STEAL BY THE REDSKINS when you factor in what they are giving up versus what they are getting. Well answer me this Larry, how much better is this team with TJ Duckett? Are we going to win two more games with this guy? Because as far as I can tell Mike Sellers can do the EXACT same thing as TJ Duckett. 1500 yards....YeAH RIGHT!! Keep dreaming.

But hey, I still love the Skins and I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks a ton for posting this. Duckett is a great guy who loves to work in the community and never ever complains about his role on a team and always owns up when things are his fault.

Duckett is much more likely to resign as a backup with the skins than Ladell Betts, and I think that is why the trade was made - not to mention the things TJ brings to the table that Ladell just doesn't.

Portis should love having TJ as his backup, much like he had Mike Anderson in Denver.

If you think that TJ Duckett is a guy who will complain about only getting the ball 5-10 times a game it is YOU who is dellusional, you obviously haven't followed TJ Duckett very closely. He is happiest when he doesn't have to be the superstar. One of the big knocks on Duckett is that he doesn't have the killer instinct, which is fine for a Backup.

I think you people that really dig this trade are at best kidding yourselves and are at worst delusional.

If Duckett comes in here and performs well, then we will have two guys wanting the ball every down (in Clinton and Duckett). Well guess what? You can't run every down so somebody is going to be upset. It's just a simple fact of life, it happens. This is probably going to cause some strife in the locker room. Now maybe that's needed to get the offense to understand that they've looked liike crap BUT I doubt thats the reasoning behind it.

If he comes in here and sucks then we are out two draft picks and AGAIN are left wondering where we are going to add when it comes to depth. Definitely not through the draft.

It makes sense for XXXESPNRADIO to have guys on today that are going to favor Duckett and say good things about him and the trade. I heard that nut Larry Michaels, who never saw a posterior in the front office he didn't want to kiss, pronounce this as a STEAL. A STEAL BY THE REDSKINS when you factor in what they are giving up versus what they are getting. Well answer me this Larry, how much better is this team with TJ Duckett? Are we going to win two more games with this guy? Because as far as I can tell Mike Sellers can do the EXACT same thing as TJ Duckett. 1500 yards....YeAH RIGHT!! Keep dreaming.

But hey, I still love the Skins and I hope I'm wrong.

Look man, he's just gonnna be a backup, who will PUSH THE PILE on third and short and goal lines.

He cant come in here and suck, hes that damn powerfull.

I think a lot of Skins fans have been waiting a long time for a bakc like this here. Duckett has better feet than Sellers, and deceptive speed.

God, I love this trade even more after hearing Beathard talk about how good this guy is and how much Gibbs, Bugel, and Breaux will like him.

no crap man, you got to get pumpped if bobby is pumped. I really don't remember to well, but I smell another George Rogers in the house!

If he can't get down in an Alex Gibbs system...which is the best running system in the National Footbal League...then he, duckett, doesn't have a whole bunch of promise. But a change of venue can change an attitude. And maybe that's what he needs, because Bobby is a great talent evaluator

That's not true. I don't think Jerome Bettis would've done great in that system, either. It's suited for quicker, shiftier, more agile backs. That's the great thing about Gibbs and Saunders, they adjust play calling to adapt to personnel. Portis will get his sweeps and stretch plays, Duckett will run the 40 guts, the counter treys and the traps. Novel concept, really. Atlanta would be a much better team if they had an idea about adapting to personnel instead of using the square peg, round hole philosphy they seem to love down there.

Archived