Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Transcript of Bethard and Riggins on TJ Duckett(Merged)

blloyd33

Look man, he's just gonnna be a backup, who will PUSH THE PILE on third and short and goal lines.

He cant come in here and suck, hes that damn powerfull.

I think a lot of Skins fans have been waiting a long time for a bakc like this here. Duckett has better feet than Sellers, and deceptive speed.

He has better feet and speed than Sellers and Sellers already has a number of roles to fill. He's our fullback, our goaline weapon and starts on every special teams unit. You ask him to run the ball a lot, too and you're going to be over using him.

I actually think people are underestimating what Duckett's role will be. I think he'll get a solid number of carries, and not just near the goaline. He's a fairly complete tailback and other than last year (again, this coaching staff is clueless when it comes to putting people in positions that play to their strengths. Let's take a mobile downfield passer with little short range accuracy and make him a west coast QB :rolleyes: ). He's done well with the opportunities he's been given and, possibly even more important, he's been available when called upon a lot more often than Betts.

I think you people that really dig this trade are at best kidding yourselves and are at worst delusional.

If Duckett comes in here and performs well, then we will have two guys wanting the ball every down (in Clinton and Duckett). Well guess what? You can't run every down so somebody is going to be upset. It's just a simple fact of life, it happens. This is probably going to cause some strife in the locker room. Now maybe that's needed to get the offense to understand that they've looked liike crap BUT I doubt thats the reasoning behind it.

If he comes in here and sucks then we are out two draft picks and AGAIN are left wondering where we are going to add when it comes to depth. Definitely not through the draft.

It makes sense for XXXESPNRADIO to have guys on today that are going to favor Duckett and say good things about him and the trade. I heard that nut Larry Michaels, who never saw a posterior in the front office he didn't want to kiss, pronounce this as a STEAL. A STEAL BY THE REDSKINS when you factor in what they are giving up versus what they are getting. Well answer me this Larry, how much better is this team with TJ Duckett? Are we going to win two more games with this guy? Because as far as I can tell Mike Sellers can do the EXACT same thing as TJ Duckett. 1500 yards....YeAH RIGHT!! Keep dreaming.

But hey, I still love the Skins and I hope I'm wrong.

Sellers was undrafted Duckett was a No 1.

You know more than Beathard? Yeah right. Keep dreaming.

He has better feet and speed than Sellers and Sellers already has a number of roles to fill. He's our fullback, our goaline weapon and starts on every special teams unit. You ask him to run the ball a lot, too and you're going to be over using him.

I actually think people are underestimating what Duckett's role will be. I think he'll get a solid number of carries, and not just near the goaline. He's a fairly complete tailback and other than last year (again, this coaching staff is clueless when it comes to putting people in positions that play to their strengths. Let's take a mobile downfield passer with little short range accuracy and make him a west coast QB :rolleyes: ). He's done well with the opportunities he's been given and, possibly even more important, he's been available when called upon a lot more often than Betts.

Yeah, I think he has more capabilities than just a short yardage guy, and the capabilities to start in this league ( more than Betts has ). He is also good in the recieving game, a pretty big target, and gets yards after the catch. I think it depends on whether Betts goes or not. If Betts does go, he will be used a lot more I reckon. If he doesnt, they might split carries until we see Duckett getting a better push and more yards per carry, when he takes over!

:cheers:

As far as I'm concerned Portis is our back for the next 4 to 5 years, period. I would be unhappy if Duckett were to steal carries from Portis because I think Portis is one of the very elite backs in the league and deserves all the very best the skins organization has to offer including fan support, and if Duckett ever challenges for the primary back position (barring serious injury), I would be seriously disappointed. Duckett absolutely has the talent to become an every down back. It is very unrealistic he would desire to stay here in Portis' shadow. Maybe we could sign him to an extension so we can recooperate some of the picks when he leaves. I don't think there is a franchise type player coming up this year. Just like welfare, social security, and the rest of FDR's new deal this is a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

:dallasuck

Duckett absolutely has the talent to become an every down back. It is very unrealistic he would desire to stay here in Portis' shadow.

:dallasuck

Thats what he done in Atlanta though, only starting when Dunn got injured....

I hear ya, but I keep hearing from everyone that he just loves playing football, and isnt worried about being just a short yardage back, wherever he is.....sounds like a gibbs guy.

Sellers is not a running back, folks. He could poke the pile forward at the 1 or 2 yard line but you are not going to give him 10-15 carries in a ballgame in the middle of the field at age 32. Sellers IS a fullback who blocks very well at the point of attack and that is the role he is going to fill for the 2006 Skins.

Sellers scoring 7 tds last year was a nice story but in it showed the weakness of the Redskins offense in being able to get our meat and potatoes producers, namely Portis and Cooley, in the end zone on a consistent basis.

Duckett is an NFL running back and for those that think he is merely a guy that is going to fall forward for a yard and pick up the first down I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thats what he done in Atlanta though, only starting when Dunn got injured....

I hear ya, but I keep hearing from everyone that he just loves playing football, and isnt worried about being just a short yardage back, wherever he is.....sounds like a gibbs guy.

There is no way a guy who was drafted in the first round with Duckett's talent wants to be a career backup. We must remember that Portis is only 24 almost 25 and Duckett is already 25, doesn't make for a compatible future.

I find it unusual that we traded with a team we're playing this season.

They gave up a very good RB.

It's really simple if you think about it.

ATL needed a WR.

WAS needed a RB, but didn't want to give up a WR.

DEN needed to unload a disgruntled WR, but don't need a RB.

DEN wanted a draft pick.

WAS, unlike most teams, doesn't put much value into the draft.

Voila! win-win-win scenario

Besides... by the time we face ATL this year, Portis should be well healed and on pace for 1400 yards. knock on wood.

I think that Gibbs is continuing to re-build the offense to resemble the 1991 Redskins Team.

In 1991, the Skins split carries between Earnest Byner, Ricky Ervins, and Gerald Riggs. Riggs was the short-yardage guy. He had 78 carries for 248 yards and 11 TD's. TJ Duckett = Gerald Riggs circa 1991. Last season, Duckett had 121 carries for 280 yards and 8 TD's.

Clinton Portis has just been carrying too much of the load. Now, the load will be redistributed in two ways. First, we'll throw the ball more. Second, carries will be split among Portis, Betts, and Duckett. All three will play, they will stay fresh, and they should give the opposition fits.

I think that Gibbs is continuing to re-build the offense to resemble the 1991 Redskins Team.

In 1991, the Skins split carries between Earnest Byner, Ricky Ervins, and Gerald Riggs. Riggs was the short-yardage guy. He had 78 carries for 248 yards and 11 TD's. TJ Duckett = Gerald Riggs circa 1991. Last season, Duckett had 121 carries for 280 yards and 8 TD's.

Clinton Portis has just been carrying too much of the load. Now, the load will be redistributed in two ways. First, we'll throw the ball more. Second, carries will be split among Portis, Betts, and Duckett. All three will play, they will stay fresh, and they should give the opposition fits.

Great post, Hog. Right on the money.

And as for Bethard's comments, he has always defended/lauded his picks to the hilt, so you should expect him to say positive things about Duckett. But even with that, he is one of the best talent evaluators ever in the NFL, so you have to respect his very STRONG endorsement of Duckett. I love this addition to the RB's.

It's a good point, and I'm sure it was just a typo, but Duckett had 380 yards.

Bulldog is right. Sellers scoring 8 touchdowns last year is a sample of what we can see from Duckett, and probably won't be scoring much himself this year.

You can just call Duckett, the new version of Gerald Riggs for us. Byner knows best about that situation cuz he carried most of the load when he was here and Riggs would get the short yardage TD's and first downs. I like it. But either Rock or Betts now has to go honestly.

This trade was made to protect Portis in the long run. Now we don't have to use Portis in short yardage. Picture third and one with TJ Duckett lined up behind Sellers in the backfield. Picture are goal line package. Holy crap! Instead of Portis, a slasher, getting the tough yards with a bum shoulder, it'll be Duckett. If anything, this tells me that Betts has fallen somewhat out of favor. Maybe because of his injuries, I don't know.

You ask any Steelers fan what got their juices flowing the most last year, and over the past 6-7 years, and they'll tell you it was when the Bus got the call on short yardage and he'd plow over the defense. I can not wait to see this with Duckett following Sellers. This move was made to protect Portis, not replace him.

Riggins may be borderline stupid but he can be entertaining. Although he gets player names wrong rather regularly.

I'm from Jersey and the other day Riggo was an in studio guest on the Steven A Smith show on ESPN radio. He asked him what he thought about the whole Brian Gumbel thing and Riggo said, "Yea, I don't really know Brad Gumbel personnaly but....blah, blah." Right after Steven A said his correct name Riggo said Brad Gumbell. I thought that was really funny

if Duckett becomes a productive player in Washington you know that Snyder and Gibbs aren't going to allow him to walk away at the end of the season :)

We let Smoot and Pierce walk away, why not Duckett? If the market price is too high, sometimes, tough decisions are made.

What does it say about the Jets front office that they were desperate for a RB and ended up with Kevin Barlow, and we ended up the TJ Duckett?

I think in comparison we made out like bandits and Jets fans must be shaking their heads.

Where's Flowtrain when you need him? :)

One thing that came to mind with this trade was that Joe Gibbs would use TJ more because its his type of RB, counter trays, right at the heart of the D etc. (A Riggo-type of 2006 if you will). This led me to think that Portis will be used less and as a result he would be upset with less touches, but then it hit me... AL SAUNDERS is running the offense. If it was Gibbs, maybe you would see TJ and Portis at 50/50 with their carries but because its Al Saunders running the team I think you will see Portis be successful as well as Tj. Al had priest/larry J and obviously will utilize one of the best RBs in the league in Portis, he simply just has more ammunition in Tj to add to his gameplan.

I like this move.

For the record, Riggins isn't a fan of Clinton Portis. It takes some dignity for him to admit that Portis is acutally a better back than he was. It took Clinton 1 year to set the all time Redskins rushing record, and that doesn't sit well with Riggo.

He had the audacity yesterday to say that eventually Duckett and Portis would spilt carries 50-50. I don't know about him, but Portis is a 20-25 carry back in this league. He's a top 3 running back ready for a big year. Just because you were a great player Riggins....doesn't make you any smarter. LOL.

For the record, Riggins isn't a fan of Clinton Portis. It takes some dignity for him to admit that Portis is acutally a better back than he was. It took Clinton 1 year to set the all time Redskins rushing record, and that doesn't sit well with Riggo.

He had the audacity yesterday to say that eventually Duckett and Portis would spilt carries 50-50. I don't know about him, but Portis is a 20-25 carry back in this league. He's a top 3 running back ready for a big year. Just because you were a great player Riggins....doesn't make you any smarter. LOL.

Don't get me started on Riggins.

Of course Clinton is lightyears a better back than Riggins ever was and it kills him to admit it.

I also find it funny about him saying that Portis and Duckett will split carries considering that he whined when the Redskins asked him to do that in 1985 with George Rogers, who finally beat him out and took over the job completely by the end of the year.

Clinton has stated recently (I forget if it was on Skins.com TV or Comcast) that he doesn't like to have the number of carries he did last year which was in the mid to upper 300s. He said he's more comfortable with the 270-300 carry area. So since Ladell Betts has yet to prove that he's a reliable replacement for Clinton, it makes perfect sense to go out and get a guy like Duckett who is a proven starting runningback in this league.

So since Portis has already said he wanted less carries this year anyway, Duckett will take carries away from Betts not from Portis. Which is a-okay in my book.

Sure he will get less carries, but that doens't excuse the comments from Riggo. Clinton is a one of if not the best RB in the league. You don't keep a weapon like that and only use it half the time. We are paying him $50mil.....CP is going to get "his" this year. Riggins just comes off and says whatever he wants......

And something else nobody is talking about. Clinton Portis has always welcomed a rest whenever needed. He will go hard as long as you use him and give you everything he has, but also is willing to share the rock. Very good deal IMO :applause:

Archived