Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WSJ: Liberal politics will prove fruitless as long as liberals refuse to multiply

TC4

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008831

GENERATIONS

The Fertility Gap

Liberal politics will prove fruitless as long as liberals refuse to multiply.

BY ARTHUR C. BROOKS

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

The midterm election looms, and once again efforts begin afresh to increase voter participation. It has become standard wisdom in American politics that voter turnout is synonymous with good citizenship, justifying just about any scheme to get people to the polls. Arizona is even considering a voter lottery, in which all voters are automatically registered for a $1 million giveaway. Polling places and liquor stores in Arizona will now have something in common.

On the political left, raising the youth vote is one of the most common goals. This implicitly plays to the tired old axiom that a person under 30 who is not a liberal has no heart (whereas one who is still a liberal after 30 has no head). The trouble is, while most "get out the vote" campaigns targeting young people are proxies for the Democratic Party, these efforts haven't apparently done much to win elections for the Democrats. The explanation we often hear from the left is that the new young Democrats are more than counterbalanced by voters scared up by the Republicans on "cultural issues" like abortion, gun rights and gay marriage.

But the data on young Americans tell a different story. Simply put, liberals have a big baby problem: They're not having enough of them, they haven't for a long time, and their pool of potential new voters is suffering as a result.

***Click link at the top for full article***

I've been noticing for years that it seems like the only people making lots of babies are idiots and Republicans.

All of the "well off, smart people" are too selfish to have children. I love the fact that I have to defend myself for having two kids at a young age, all of you people who want to wait until you are 45 to have kids, go right ahead... you don't see me making fun of you, so get off my a**.

My kids have everything they could possibly need, but I have to have people 10 years older than I am making half as much money, telling me that having a lot of kids is being idiotic????

go ahead and keep aborting your kids and using contraception to keep from having kids, we'll see who's happier with their decisions in 40 yrs!

All of the "well off, smart people" are too selfish to have children. I love the fact that I have to defend myself for having two kids at a young age, all of you people who want to wait until you are 45 to have kids, go right ahead... you don't see me making fun of you, so get off my a**.

My kids have everything they could possibly need, but I have to have people 10 years older than I am making half as much money, telling me that having a lot of kids is being idiotic????

go ahead and keep aborting your kids and using contraception to keep from having kids, we'll see who's happier with their decisions in 40 yrs!

:wtf:

Calm down, Mickey. No one called you out. Take a deep breath and wipe the tears from your eyes, sheesh.

:doh:

Man, they all come out of the woodwork for this crap article huh?

BTW, the amount of children you have does nothing to help republicans win elections, unless you raise brainwashed lemmings, to which I think the preponderance of Americans want their children to make decisions on their own. The reason they lost was because of piss poor democratic strategies. They actually believed Americans would see through the BS, they didn't. . .

I think they have finally figured things out, and will win this time around, don't believe me, i'll bet ya ;)

:doh:

Man, they all come out of the woodwork for this crap article huh?

BTW, the amount of children you have does nothing to help republicans win elections, unless you raise brainwashed lemmings, to which I think the preponderance of Americans want their children to make decisions on their own. The reason they lost was because of piss poor democratic strategies. They actually believed Americans would see through the BS, they didn't. . .

I think they have finally figured things out, and will win this time around, don't believe me, i'll bet ya ;)

I'll take that!

And how can you not see the correlation between parents beliefs/activities and their children? It's pretty much a no-brainer that children are more likely to have the same tendencies as their parents, even the really annoying ones like my mothers ability to over-react to everything! :doh: oops.

Hmmm

Hippies are too busy smoking pot and protesting to have kids

Feminist are against having kids

Heterosexually challanged people don't have kids

About sums up the Dem base

Yea, we're too busy having sex to worry about having children. . . which kind of reminds me of a George Carlin joke. . .

Why is it that all the women who are against abortion are people you wouldn't want to f*** in the first place :laugh:

BTW Sarge, maybe the reason republicans don't use birth control is because their face is the only birth control needed :laugh:

Yes, but obviously being lumped into the same category, I am a Rep... hopefully not an idiot too though! :D

Well, some would say 6 of one....

Hmmm

Hippies are too busy smoking pot and protesting to have kids

:laugh: Yeah right. Pot + hot girl + libido = good :hump: in.

It's pretty much a no-brainer that children are more likely to have the same tendencies as their parents

Proof that few people actually think for themselves...

What do you mean by "think for themselves"? We are all influenced by our environment, parents, upbringing, etc. There is no getting around that.

If I had to draw that line I'd do it between "thinking" and "not thinking" - and merely repeating or not repeating tendencies of parents would not be an indicator of either.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008831

GENERATIONS

The Fertility Gap

Liberal politics will prove fruitless as long as liberals refuse to multiply.

BY ARTHUR C. BROOKS

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

The midterm election looms, and once again efforts begin afresh to increase voter participation. It has become standard wisdom in American politics that voter turnout is synonymous with good citizenship, justifying just about any scheme to get people to the polls. Arizona is even considering a voter lottery, in which all voters are automatically registered for a $1 million giveaway. Polling places and liquor stores in Arizona will now have something in common.

On the political left, raising the youth vote is one of the most common goals. This implicitly plays to the tired old axiom that a person under 30 who is not a liberal has no heart (whereas one who is still a liberal after 30 has no head). The trouble is, while most "get out the vote" campaigns targeting young people are proxies for the Democratic Party, these efforts haven't apparently done much to win elections for the Democrats. The explanation we often hear from the left is that the new young Democrats are more than counterbalanced by voters scared up by the Republicans on "cultural issues" like abortion, gun rights and gay marriage.

But the data on young Americans tell a different story. Simply put, liberals have a big baby problem: They're not having enough of them, they haven't for a long time, and their pool of potential new voters is suffering as a result.

***Click link at the top for full article***

Kids many times follow their parents political leanings. If you parents are for abortion; then how can you ever get to age 18 to vote?

Archived