Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This can't be our offense.

D'Pablo

This isn't to say that I'm scared of the offense's lack of output, but rather that this has absolutely no semblance of what Saunders likes to do. For instance, no motions before the snap. In the Coryell system, everything is predicated on pre-snap motion to confuse the defense. I saw a few stretch plays here and there, but not nearly as much as the up-the-gut man blocking plays. Moreover, there is absolutely no flow to the play calling. Everything seems so incredibly scripted. Whenever a play seemed to go wrong, we'd repeat it multiple times to limited success. This leads me to believe one thing:

It's the friggin' preseason. We're evaluating individual players while trying desperately not to give away our playbook.

This isn't to say that I'm scared of the offense's lack of output' date=' but rather that this has absolutely no semblance of what Saunders likes to do. For instance, no motions before the snap. In the Coryell system, everything is predicated on pre-snap motion to confuse the defense. I saw a few stretch plays here and there, but not nearly as much as the up-the-gut man blocking plays. Moreover, there is absolutely no flow to the play calling. Everything seems so incredibly scripted. Whenever a play seemed to go wrong, we'd repeat it multiple times to limited success. This leads me to believe one thing:

It's the friggin' preseason. We're evaluating individual players while trying desperately not to give away our playbook.[/quote']

nothing personal, but you really need to get up to speed....like read reskins.com....Saunders was explicit when he said that during preseason they would be running a totally vanilla offense and in particular they would *not* be using motion...they do not want to give other teams any possibility of gameplanning them prior to the regular season...while they could look at old KC film, this offense is a hybrid of Gibbs and Saunders schemes and philosophies...

this is a pre-season game...the offense is supposed to be totally scripted...they're not here to win the game...they are here to evaluate players...so you're absolutely right in your assessment and this thread is pretty much over....but if watching the game caused you any anxiety with respect to our offense, you're "xanax" is easily found at redskins.com...

I wish some of the folks on this board would just relax. I mean we lost two good players in the first pre-season game, and the coaches are doing every possible thing to avoid getting our players injured...this is pre-season. Players ARE getting evaluated. It can be a vanilla offense. AND why should we keep our first team in beyond a few series? I don't care if we lose every single pre-season game as long as we are ready roll on day 1 of the regular season.

Please give it a rest. Coach knows what he is doing.

The offense will get better but still we must not expect so much initially. I'm expecting the O to struggle a little the first 3 or 4 games because it's a new system. It's just not realistic to expect 400 yards of total offense out of the gate. Just give them time and it will come together.

Guys- Our opponents are running vanilla plays as well. All over our heads. :(

I would largely agree with this notion. Aside from the two flea flickers last week from Cincy and the double reverse last night, I'd say we've been given mostly vanilla looks in the preseason.

I'd rather be vanilla and 0-4 in the preseason with little or no major injuries heading into the regular season. And if our first team O and D come out rusty against the Vikes because of that, then I'm not going to abandon ship.

C'mon people, this is Joe Gibbs we're talking about. The end ALWAYS justifies the means where he is concerned.

flea flickers and reverses? not so vanilla to me...

:applause: While I will not to differ that alot (including myself) have been remotely disappointed to not see much production from the starting Offense; I am proud to see Jason Campbell finally look like our future!

:point2sky

Regular season will be a completely different story. Preseason means nothing...

WERD...preseason is meaningless...hell, the Bucs lost to Miami last night, too...in the regular season, they would have wiped the field with the Fins...I pay no attention to preseason scores...coaches are evaluating individual players and positions, not trying to win games.

In other words...RELAX, FOLKS!!! :laugh:

Our offense! I'm not concerned that we are not scoring, per cey. I'm really starting to get worried that we don't appear to be moving the ball well at all. Our starters appear to be struggling and our passing game seems to be lacking by Brunell not connecting with the WR or the our QB's making porr decisions, which lead to INT's.

I'll put it perspective and realize that it is ONLY pre-season, but I should feel better if our team was at least getting first down on a regular basis. Yes, put me down as starting to get worried. Let's hope they get in sync and start making it happen (regardless of a Win or Loss).

You feel the same? Is there something else that has caught your eye?

Although this is preseason, I would rather see our "Vanilla offense do a better job than the opposing teams vanilla offense and defense. Why are other teams with totally new Head coaches and new schemes fairing better than our group? We look bad.

Simple mistakes whether they are scripted or not are still bad. Brunell throwing INTs; bad, Patten not making any type of effort when the ball is catchable; bad. It's early and I cant predict the future, but we suck now. Vanilla should be easy right?

I have faith in the coaching staff and think the player talent is there. I really don't care if a pre-season game it won or lost, BUT I feel much more comfortable if the ball is at least moving down the field some. Granted, we are evaluating talent, but neither the starters or much of the back-ups are getting any first downs on a regular basis.

Again, I'm sure the coaches and players will work it all out, but I hope it's sooner than later. Sure wouldn't want us to go into the regular season like this. Could be similar to Ravens several years ago, TOP defense gets tired being on the field all the time, while offense keeps doing 3 and out.

Maybe it's being worred or maybe it's because I haven't finished my second cup of coffee yet. ;)

Archived