Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Knee Sugery

twenty-eight

It seems as if everyone on ES is coming down with some sort of injury! About two weeks ago I hurt my knee while playing basketball. I was running the break( i guess this is another reason why big men shouldn't run the break:doh:) I did a spin move and went to plant my knee and it just gave out, I didnt feel anything behind it.

I went to the doctor he told me that he thinks i tore my lateral meniscus and there is enough swelling where my acl could be torn as well. Well after x-rays and the mri it turns out that my lateral meniscus is torn. I have surgery tomorrow at 8am. My doctor isn't sure how long my recovery will take untill he gets in there....Anywhere from being on crutches for 10 days to not being able to bend my knee at a 90 degree angle for 4 weeks.

This is my first serious injury, Ive dislocated a few fingers, twisted my ankle a couple times, and broke my nose about 3 times (I never got it fixed the last time it broke, so it's been dislocated for about 5 years now) I'm not really that scared of the needles or surgery in general I'm just not looking forward to being on crutches:(

Had my meniscus, lateral and medial (I think), repaired in March. Other than most of the skin on my knee being numb and a sensitivity to weather it's doing fine. I was in an immobilizer for 10 days. That pretty much sucked, no showers and limping around the house. But I got full range of motion back within 2 weeks after that. It still is tight when I bend down on it all the way, but it's getting better too. Good luck!

The difference in recovery times depends on whether he removes the meniscal tear (short) or tries to repair it (longer).

I tore my ACL when I was 17. However it wasn't discovered as an ACL tear until some 30 years later when I had an MRI done after running a moutain road race. Fortunately I haven't developed arthritis in the knee (so far - knock on wood).

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well!

28, you'll have to put the phillies' down so you can re-hab properly....

Major, I dont get down like that and even if i did i would NEVER use phillies, but you're joking right?!

products_papers_smoking_silver.jpg

^best papers ever!:1stplace:

The difference in recovery times depends on whether he removes the meniscal tear (short) or tries to repair it (longer).

I tore my ACL when I was 17. However it wasn't discovered as an ACL tear until some 30 years later when I had an MRI done after running a moutain road race. Fortunately I haven't developed arthritis in the knee (so far - knock on wood).

The doctor said that is one of the issues he is worried about, if he removes too much of the tissue(I think its the tissue, i really have no idea!) down the line i could have problems with arthritis

good luck, 28. i tore my acl a few years ago. not a bad tear, but doc did recommend surgery. a simple scope wouldn't do it, and the rehab was gonna be like 9 months. eff that.

all the running and stuff, i think it healed itself (which is possible with a partial tear), but who knows, i might pay the price down the road.

anways, good luck, and keep us posted. :cheers: <<<-----don't mix w/ pain killers after surgery. :D

In the past 4 years I've had 2 shoulder surgeries (first one they laid it wide open and removed part of my collarbone, second one was a scope), and 2 hernia surgeries. I feel your pain dude. Hang in there and work hard in rehab.

good luck, 28. i tore my acl a few years ago. not a bad tear, but doc did recommend surgery. a simple scope wouldn't do it, and the rehab was gonna be like 9 months. eff that.

all the running and stuff, i think it healed itself (which is possible with a partial tear), but who knows, i might pay the price down the road.

anways, good luck, and keep us posted. :cheers: <<<-----mix carefully w/ pain killers after surgery for full pain killing effect. :D

:D Fixed it for you

as far as philies go, yes, i was joking. but blunts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>j's.

Fo shizzle, also Dutch Masters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>phillies

Thanks to everybody for the well wishes! Surgery was a breeze, I was home by a 11 and I'm no longer looopy. I almost enjoyed the surgery, I think the morphine had a lot to do with that, that stuff is AWESOME! I'm not exactly sure what the recovery time is. My post op visit is next week, so we'll see. I'm def trying to go to training camp though:point2sky

thanks again guys:)

as far as philies go, yes, i was joking. but blunts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>j's.

phillies?, man thats for silly stunts!

:D Fixed it for you

:laugh:Hellloooooooo Mr. Percoet:cheers:

I can relate to what you're going through.

I trashed my right knee back in October, 1980, (ACL, MCL and both laterals) and by the end of 1984, had just rehabbed from the fourth major reconstructive surgery. Obviously, this put an end to my sporting career.

I've now been on a disability pension for just over ten years due to ongoing problems with my knee, and there are days when the knee just blows up without reason, forcing me off my feet until the swelling subsides.

I'm probably a worst case scenario, but my advise is to take your time in rehab, don't think that more work will make it heal quicker, and stick rigidly to the rehab timeframe.

Fight the urge to get back to normal activities when you think you are ready. There's nothing worse than a repeat injury, which could be worse than the original.

It seems as if everyone on ES is coming down with some sort of injury! About two weeks ago I hurt my knee while playing basketball. I was running the break( i guess this is another reason why big men shouldn't run the break:doh:) I did a spin move and went to plant my knee and it just gave out, I didnt feel anything behind it.

I went to the doctor he told me that he thinks i tore my lateral meniscus and there is enough swelling where my acl could be torn as well. Well after x-rays and the mri it turns out that my lateral meniscus is torn. I have surgery tomorrow at 8am. My doctor isn't sure how long my recovery will take untill he gets in there....Anywhere from being on crutches for 10 days to not being able to bend my knee at a 90 degree angle for 4 weeks.

This is my first serious injury, Ive dislocated a few fingers, twisted my ankle a couple times, and broke my nose about 3 times (I never got it fixed the last time it broke, so it's been dislocated for about 5 years now) I'm not really that scared of the needles or surgery in general I'm just not looking forward to being on crutches:(

While any surgery sucks, the lateral meniscus isnt too bad.....

My dad tore his in some piping at work and he was actually walking on it the next day - even though he wasnt supposed to....

The one thing to watch out for though is the extra strain it will put on the rest of the leg and the back (that has been his major problem)

Good luck with it! Hope the surgery goes well

Get used to the large tablets of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and/or MSM for breakfast every morning! Ask your ortho doctor about them and see what he says. Heck, my vet even recommended them for my Mastiff! They say studies prove it helps the joints. Rt and Lt ACL replacements for me and I don't wanna meet Mr "Arther Itis" any sooner than I need to! Good luck

Archived