Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The greatest coaching staff ever assembled

MaxHardware

On paper, I agree with what you're saying. But, it won't matter if we finish last in the division and out of the playoffs. That staff still must prove itself in game-day situations and go through the rigors of a full season. I hate to be a killjoy, but we have to put it on the field first.

On paper, I agree with what you're saying. But, it won't matter if we finish last in the division and out of the playoffs. That staff still must prove itself in game-day situations and go through the rigors of a full season. I hate to be a killjoy, but we have to put it on the field first.

That's the best way to put it!

We have nothing to show for it. We have a "great" team on paper every year. It does not matter what is on paper. Don't buy the hype, just produce results.

See that's why I love Va. Beach. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who knows what he's talking about :laugh: . WELL SAID cphil006 :cheers:

HTTR!

The greatest "ever" is a hard tag to put on anything or anyone. Has a 17-2 team been coached any better than a 10-8 team? Those are the '91 and '92 Redskins records. Injuries, age, schedule, and an unmeasurable amount of intangibles go into every season, every result. We sure are loaded with assistants that have head coaching experience.

I dont know, the early-90s Cowboys staff was pretty impressive. The best OC and DC in football, along with one of the better coaches

I really do think Holmgren's Green Bay and Walsh's staffs were better than both this one and the Cowboys' early 90's one.

are you guys serious? greatest coaching staff ever would have to win mulitple superbowls before being considered as the best of all time... this staff has done nothing yet... we can see that gibbs has only accomplished a 10-6 record while he is back. but to make this staff great saunders and williams and gibbs will have to win at least 4 superbowls

I dont know, the early-90s Cowboys staff was pretty impressive. The best OC and DC in football, along with one of the better coaches

While it was a good staff, it probably didn't hurt matters that they had all those draft picks that Minnesota gave them for Herschel Walker. :doh:

I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say that this is the best staff ever. That would be premature to say the least. However, Athlon's Annual NFL Preview issue ranks 12 other CURRENT staffs as better than that of the Redskins. They rated the 'Skins' staff as 8.0 out of ten. Twelve teams in the league scored 8.5 or higher. THIS doesn't make sense. HTTR!!!

I would say the 56 Giants staff. "Head coach Jim Lee Howell's staff had Vince Lombardi coaching the offense and Tom Landry coaching the defense."

I'd agree with that.

If we're looking at more modern times, Parcells staff in 1990 (Belicheck, Crennel, Weis, Coughlin) and Walsh's 80s staffs (Holmgren, Shannahan, Rhodes) were pretty tough to beat.

As far as the Skins staff goes - we won't really know until people like Greg Williams, Jerry Gray, and whoever else go on to be HCs.

If you consider Norv Turner and Dave Wandstadt and Jimmy Johnson the best staff ever than you forgot their accomplishments afterwords(or lack thereof). The cowboys were so stacked with talent that Barry Switzer could have won a Superbowl, hey wait a minute................

are you guys serious? greatest coaching staff ever would have to win mulitple superbowls before being considered as the best of all time...

No they wouldn't. Maybe they're only together one year before moving in their own direction. Greatest for one year? Five years? Ten years? What about Paul Brown and his staff from 1946 through 1955. They won 4 AAFC and 3 NFL titles. Not only that, Brown (not knowing his staff for every year he coached) won six straight Ohio high school state championships at Massillon and a collegiate national championship at Ohio State. 14 titles!

what about the Tuna,Belichick and Shottenheimer coaching the 80's giants?statistically speaking,they could be very close to the best but i think all the guys who came from walsh's staff altogether as a group have got to be considered even though i loathe them all.

I keep telling people that Joe Gibbs has assembled what may go down as the best coaching staff in NFL history. Am I overstating things here?

Questions like this are always subjective.

1. Steelers of the 70s
  2. Green Bay of the 60s
  3. Giants of the mid 80s (All of Parcells cronies)
  4. 49ers of the 90s (All of Bill Walsh cronies)
  5. Cowboys of the 70s and 90s
  6. Don Coryell's cronies when they were together even though they never actuall won a championship under Don. (Though, John Madden, Al Saunders, Erine Zampese, and Joe Gibbs did. Madden and Gibbs as head coaches)

Yeah, I would say Don Coryell's coaching staff or Bill Walsh's was the best of all time, but then again, it's a subjective matter.

If you consider Norv Turner and Dave Wandstadt and Jimmy Johnson the best staff ever than you forgot their accomplishments afterwords(or lack thereof). The cowboys were so stacked with talent that Barry Switzer could have won a Superbowl, hey wait a minute................

You can see that from 2 different angles. How about Don Coryell? He didn't win crap but produced several coaches like Al Saunders (current Redskins coach) Erine Zampese, indirectly Norv Turner, Joe Gibbs (current Redskins coach), and John Madden. All have Superbowl rings! He also produced one of the offense that has won at least 8 Superbowls. 3 Redskins (Gibbs), 3 Cowboys (2 indirectly Norv Turner before leaving to the Skins and 1 with Erine Zampese), and 1 Raiders (Madden), 1 Rams (indirectly through Mike Martz)

I keep telling people that Joe Gibbs has assembled what may go down as the best coaching staff in NFL history. Am I overstating things here?

If they win the Super Bowl, then you might be able to say this. Let's face it, our 1987 team was by no means the best in the league that season...the 49ers were way better "for the season" but Gibbs and compnay got the VERY MOST out of the team...THAT is great coaching...not to mention what he did with the replacements against Dallas...possible the best coaching job in history.

When you look at the old photos of Bill Walsh's early 49ers coiaching staff and see all the "future" head coaches...that is pretty inpressive...although they would be "future" great head coaches.

Archived