Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have the GatorSkins jumped off the bandwagon?

Larry Brown #43

You would think that with Danny slated to start this Sunday there would be all kinds of chatter over on Gator Country about it, but the topic is not even being touched on. I posted a thread over there under the username "Old School Redskin" about Danny starting the game and asked why no one is talking about it. No one has even responded to my thread. For that matter, the Wuerffel supporters on Extremeskins have been rather silent about Danny getting the start. I guess they've learned their lesson and are laying low right now.

Edit: I should have said the Gator/Danny HOMERS have been silent. They're not all homers.

Yeah, there isn't anything to talk about. It's put up or shut up time for the Waffle Worshipers. If Danny plays a great game (which we should all be hoping for), then they'll come out of the wordwork with their I-told-you-so's.

Of course, none of them want to make any predictions now, because it looks far more likely that he'll stay in character and stink up the joint.

Originally posted by airGatorSkins96

actually i've posted several if you look past the first page.

The only problem is wp is basicly rehashing what we already know, and they have been doing so for the past 2 weeks.

So there is nothing really to talk about.

I hear you, but it still seems quiet compared to earlier in the year, or in the preseason, when the GatorSkins nearly took Extremeskins over. Now you don't hear a peep out of them. That's why I'm wondering if they've jumped off the bandwagon.

I imagine that most just don't feel that it is worth posting opinions on this board anymore.

Besides there is enough excitement in Gainesville to keep people focused there.

AS a 40 year Redskin fan and lifelong Gator fan, I stop by to see if there is any Redskin news I have missed. There rarely is.

The Wuerffel bashing on the board has gotten very tedious. Personally, I have never bought into the idea of trashing your own players. Guess I just don't understand "pro" fans, huh? As someone said, if he starts Sunday he will produce--or not. My interest in Danny has always been to see him get a real shot in the NFL. If he really can't do it, then so be it.

However, he certainly can't do too much worse than several stablished NFL QBs have done so far this year. Can he?

Question for you here blueridge.

When you say you've never bought into the idea of trashing your own players, what specifically are you talking about? Are you talking about people questioning Wuerffel's arm strength, or his decision making in his appearances, or the lack of poise he's shown in recent appearances, or Spurrier's comments about him doing things he's not used to seeing him do, etc, etc, etc, or are you talking about Waffle, Woeful, Wawful?

From that I've seen from Florida fans that have come here, it seems they don't really mind anything but the nicknaming and in the grand scheme of things, if the assessments are fairly offered, then the nicknames likely are as well. I don't use that kind of play on names either, but, I don't know that it's the major issue you guys seem to mention somewhat frequently either.

Shoot. I'm mostly a lurker on every board anyway so my lack of posting shouldn't be missed.

I am not sure about DW's chances. Frankly given the interior OL I am not sure about anyone's chances. So is this a fair test? I guess it is a fair test from the view of number of snaps. starting the game, etc. However, given that the Titans have a decent DL (thankfully Kerse is not playing) I'm not sure any of it will matter. Given their injuries at LB and CB they might not try to blitz quite as much.

I think teams have scouted DW and believe that the primary mechanism to make him screw up is the blitz. In both games where he has gone in it seemed like suddenly the defense on the other team blitzed more often. Maybe it just seemed that way because of the poor OL play. Hopefully our coaches will have noticed this and try to burn the D a few times to slow this down. Otherwise it could be a very long day.

I became a Redskins fan because of Spurrier, not the former Gators. I could care less who the qb is and I've pretty much held that stance from day one. If I am biased toward any of the three qb's, it's Ramsey because of his natural ablilities that the other two don't have.

I was never on the Danny bandwagon to begin with. Shane was my guy from the day he was acquired, until Ramsey was ready. And Shane should still be the starter until SOS believes Ramsey is ready to go.

But I'm still here and will be on Sunday, hoping and praying DW can finally turn on the light switch upstairs and stop making stupid decisions on the field, and move this offense.

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

Code,

I am with you on the Ramsey thing. Ramsey's only flaw is that he's a rookie. And the NFL says that rookie QB's can't be successful.

Of course, this is the same NFL that says Spurrier system wouldn't work. The system works, its the parts right now that are worthless.

You are right on. I believe that SS's system will work, he just needs better parts. I think that going in, he wanted to see if his system could compensate for the lack of talent. You know, Maybe it could if we had an outstanding O line, but we don't. So warm Ramsey up and hope that Coach Wuerffel does a good job with him.

I think what we have seen so far is what most of us expected to see from the Florida boys.

Matthews can indeed play in the NFL and if he gets good protection and a running game can be an effective passer. He makes a fine #2 on a team with an established starter.

Wuerffel isn't going to recapture the dominance he had in college, no matter the wishful thinking on the part of Gator fans. The best we can hope for DW is to go out against Tennessee, not make mistakes and try to work the field to produce points and keep things close. And more than anything, NOT LOSE THE GAME.

As far as the receivers go, there weren't any real comers in the group we brought in. Green is a capable return man and can play some WR as well. Doering has good hands and seems like a hard working blue collar type that is good to have in the locker room.

But I don't see any 1,000 yard receivers coming out of the ex-Florida group.

In large measure the ex-Florida players didn't measure up to even my standards. I thought at least at receiver, they would provide adequate competition for some of our younger guys while they were learning the system.

Instead Green, Anthony, etc. were beaten out so early in the process that we ended up throwing our younger guys out there in the opener while they were still learning the offense.

Remember all those rave reviews in minicamps for Jacquez Green?

Where in the he$$ did this guy go?

He went south faster than a Canada goose :laugh:

Bull,

I'm just baffled at all the folks here telling us Shane's performance has been acceptable. The coach is running the fun and gun, not the Ratbirds' two tight end set. How many times does it need to be said? Rhythm, timing, QB and receivers mind-melded together, throwing and catching to spots downfield, guys down field everywhere freezing DBs.

This isn't about rifling the ball to the one receiver some silly *** WCO coordinator has managed to get open for a half an instant, four yards off the line of scrimmage.

If Spurrier can get Danny and the receivers on the same page, if he gets our receivers running to the right spots, if he gets them to change their routes at the line based on the D's alignment, and if he gets our QB throwing to the correct spots with touch and placement, it is going to be a very long day for the Titans regardless of the pass rush.

When the offense clicks like that, the way it was designed, it's very difficult to beat. I say again, no one has ever run that O like Danny. Given a few months I think Ramsey could be ready to give it go, but it is best that he sits back and watches the master for now.

I haven’t heard, but I hope Spurrier has DW working out of the shotgun this week. I and hope the receivers have worn paths in their routes, running them again and again.

Unfortunately, I feel like we wasted a several weeks on Shane because I no longer think the guy is coachable. For whatever reason, he isn’t running Spurrier’s offense. I don’t think he and the receivers have made the connection and it appears to me he isn’t always sure where to throw the ball.

Shane: still love ya dude, but these b@stards in the NFL have really screwed your head up. You'll always be the man.

:pint:

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, the UF season started several weeks back. That has kept me away from these boards and in fact I have gone to a slower moving Skins board to keep up with the news. There are only some many hours in the day and subjects scroll off this board pretty fast. So I have not jumped off the bandwagon. I am interest in how the Skins with the UF offense and a number of ex-UF players do in this season, I just follow it a little more from afar following UF more closely.

Now for the other question implied. I think if protected Wuerffel will have a good game against the Titans. I posted a long schedule analysis on CPND that in summary says maybe the skins need to play easier opponent rather than play better. That should happen at TN this weekend.

So far the Skins have beaten on non playoff team from last year and lost to two playoff teams from last year. And those two teams did not just scrape into the playoffs last year. The next 13 games will not contain 8 playoff teams from last year.

let me get this straight. Shane Matthews is supposed to operate a high octane attack with precision while he has some receivers running poor routes, interior linemen that are making 'air' blocks and no third down-change of pace back that has enough speed to spread the field?

you guys must be in dreamland. nobody was open down the field against the Eagles corners. And the receivers dropped several catchable balls over the middle.

then you combine the poor defense that got us in a 14-0 hole before we even finished the first quarter and you end up with the type of loss we sustained.

starting Danny Wuerffel is not going to resolve any of these problems. if he plays better and the team does as well than it has against the Eagles and 49ers, we can attribute some of that to the level of competition :)

The Titans are closer to the Cardinals then they are to the Eagles right now.

Still, I am right here, so if Wuerffel goes on to solidify the starting quarterback spot by having A FEW QUALITY STARTS I will be the first to admit my errors in perception.

After the lesson learned from Week 1, a single game performance means little if it is not followed up with consistent effort and performance in subsequent contests.

The NFL is about consistency, that is what gets you to 11 or 12 wins over 16 games.

Otherwise, you are trading good performances with bad and will have to settle for 7-9 or 8-8, which is where the Redskins are probably headed.

Orange and Blue Skins,

I believe you are correct in thinking that Shane is not running the offense the way SS wants and that is basically why this change is taking place.

No matter what the outcome of this game, Ramsey is still the longterm solution. DW's arm is a problem and having him at qb is playing with a disadvantage. I think we can win with DW, but we have much less room for error and the defense does not have to worry about certian routes because of DW's arm. When Ramsey knows the offense like DW, and in time he should be able to, Ramsey will have a much bigger advantage and will give the defense more to worry about.

I'm just baffled as to why SS and our Gator fans believe Danny will perform ANY better than Shane. Think about it. The Titans DBs are absolutely decimated. Hell, I'd be willing to say they're just about as bad as the Cardinals. Shane may not be able to put up week one type numbers against them, but he'd sure as hell do better than Wuerffel.

Does anybody have a good reason why I shouldn't be pessimistic going into this game?

I think this season will unfortunately be a QB by committee going from week to week with combinations of SM, DW, and PR. Whoever your favorite is, you're most likely to get a decent helping of him along with the other 2.

I, like SOS, was hoping one guy would be able to make it through, but I think the lack of solid play by the O-Line has pretty much put an end to that, not to mention the realization that DW is never going to be a consistent good performer. I'm not saying DW can't or won't have a good game here and there, but he just looks overmatched against top ranked defensive teams. Unfortunately we need to be able to beat those teams if we are going to be legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

After this season DW needs to become a coach while SM plays the role of veteran backup and PR and another young gun (hopefully Grossman) compete for the top spot. I'd like to have 2 guys we can grow with and develop.

My view on the SOS QB decision:

1. Matthews has shown his body will not take NFL games. Little reason to start a QB who can not finish games for you.

2. Wuerffel has shown that like any QB he can not perform without blocking. Wuerffel alway has been better than Matthews. He takes a hit better or has in the past too so he has a greater chance to finish games.

3. Ramsey has no record of being a good QB. He was less than average at Tulane. He apparently has tools but we have not seen him in practice to see if he is any better than he was.

So you go with the guy who you hope can develop a feel for the game and finish. You still have the guy whose body seems not to be able to take the NFL to finish if your starter has a bad day. And you are throwing your rookie to the dogs.

Originally posted by InstiGATOR

My view on the SOS QB decision:

1. Matthews has shown his body will not take NFL games. Little reason to start a QB who can not finish games for you.

2. Wuerffel has shown that like any QB he can not perform without blocking. Wuerffel alway has been better than Matthews. He takes a hit better or has in the past too so he has a greater chance to finish games.

3. Ramsey has no record of being a good QB. He was less than average at Tulane. He apparently has tools but we have not seen him in practice to see if he is any better than he was.

So you go with the guy who you hope can develop a feel for the game and finish. You still have the guy whose body seems not to be able to take the NFL to finish if your starter has a bad day. And you are throwing your rookie to the dogs.

1) The only reason why Wuerffel hasn't shown that his pus$y body can't stand up to NFL punishment is because he's never played. He looks like a freakin' middle schooler. 99% of the people on this board could kick his as$. Matthews has taken some shots, and he's NOT injured. Has any specific injury been cited? Nope. It's just a smokescreen for SS to give his b!tch a last gasp chance.

2) Chew on this: In 9 quarters of play this season, Matthews has taken THREE sacks. In 3 quarters of play this season, Wuerffel has taken FIVE sacks. Does the O-line suddenly stop playing when Wuerffel comes in? For some reason I doubt that. Some of it falls on the QB, and Wuerffel just doesn't know what to do with the ball. He gets scared, because like I said, he's a pus$y. He thinks he's still in college, playing against DEs who run 6.5 40s. If you need any other proof, in 3 games starting for the Saints, Wuerffel took SIXTEEN sacks. That's over FIVE SACKS A GAME. Do you see a pattern?

3) What the hell are you talking about? Ramsey rewrote the record books at Tulane with a dismal receiving corps. He's clearly the most talented QB on the roster. It's just a matter of learning the system. Did you not see his tremendous talent in the preseason? Quit defending Danny...just come to the realization that he sucks.

Archived