Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have the GatorSkins jumped off the bandwagon?

Larry Brown #43

Originally posted by InstiGATOR Wuerffel alway has been better than Matthews.
Better at what, checkers?
Originally posted by InstiGATOR Ramsey has no record of being a good QB. He was less than average at Tulane.
In '98, when Shaun King was at Tulane, Ramsey saw very limited action. Almost everyone graduated with Shaun King, and with a horrendous supporting cast, Ramsey stepped in and completed 310 of 513 for 3,410 yards, with 25 TDs and 24 INTs in '99. He completed 229 of 389 for 2,833 yards, 24 TDs and 14 INTs in 2000, and 256 of 448 for 2,935 yards, 22 TDs and 13 INTs in 2001. How do you figure that to be less than average, particularly with such a lousy supporting cast?

Art, I really have no particular desire to discuss the subject further and this thread has developed along the lines that I expected it would.

But you asked a question of me. As a good example I simply refer you to OrangeSkins para 1. It has nothing to do with legitimate criticism or analysis of DW's playing ability.

I don't know crap about OS, and frankly could care less about him. But where the hell is he coming from? MY guess is that DW can take a hit a hell of a lot better than he can. His remark reeks of typical, "I can't play the game but I can get on an internet site and trash the people who are competing". Big Man. Wow, I put down that Wuerffel guy. Of course DW will never know--and it sure would not be said to his face, would it?

As for nicknames, I don't see anything particularly original or cute about constantly corrupting a the name of a guys who you don't know, and doesn't know you to "Woeful". I don't call that a nickname. I call it behind the back belittling of the person. But if the members of this Redskin Fan club find it sophisticated and amusing, so be it.

Obviously I am in the distinct minority in this august debating society. I will chalk it up to my age. I am apparently more comfortable in a different time and environment. But where I came from you didn't say things about a guy that you couldn't say to his face and weren't prepared to back up. I still like it that way.

By the way, I am not a hothouse flower in these matters. I was a Naval Aviator for 25 years. You performed or you were washed out-- or you died in a flaming hole. Critiques were pretty brutal at times and people spoke their minds pretty emphatically. Face to face. Real (not fantasy football) athletes function in the same sort of same environment.

Frankly, this place reminds me of a kiddie's sand box, with too many people clamoring to be heard by raising the decible level and outdoing each other with outlandish behavior, and I don't really find it enertaining or enlighteningl at all. Clearly, most people are satisfied with the way it is--so be it.

I know this will generate a few "Who does this efffing (a childish construct frequently used on this board to get away with talking dirty) guy think he is, good riddance" posts. Fine.

So, did I answer your question?

Orange,

Your just a complete idiot. I'm not going to take the time to list all the defensive players Wuerffel played aganst in college that are now in the NFL. Did these guys magically get fast when they went pro, or were they just loafing it in college?

Obviously, you've never seen DW cause he is big tough kid, and if he wasn't a Christian, he kick your skinny punk ***.

Yes, the o-line did stop blocking in the second half of both those games. Give the o-line its props though, the defense quit in the first half. The team lacked heart as a unit.

Tulane is almost as ****ty of school as Syracuse, and whatever happens at those litttle backwater po-dunk community colleges doesn't mean jack. My nephews 85-lbs Pop Warner squad would match nicely with them.

Enjoy the Danny era and eat your heart out.:jerkoff:

Originally posted by Orange&Blue Skins Tulane is almost as ****ty of school as Syracuse, and whatever happens at those litttle backwater po-dunk community colleges doesn't mean jack. My nephews 85-lbs Pop Warner squad would match nicely with them.

Enjoy the Danny era and eat your heart out. :jerkoff:

I don't think it's necessary to say some of the things that Orange said in his post, but don't take it out on Patrick Ramsey and his school. To do what Ramsey did at Tulane with no supporting cast is phenomenal. Truthfully, I'm surprised he didn't get picked even earlier in the draft. But his first-round status is indicative of what kind of a talent he is. Enjoy the Wuerffel era while it lasts, because the Patrick era is coming, and it's coming fast.

Originally posted by Orange&Blue Skins

Orange,

Your just a complete idiot. I'm not going to take the time to list all the defensive players Wuerffel played aganst that are now in the NFL. Did these guys magically get fast when they went pro, or were they just loafing it in college?

I hate to disagree with a fellow Gator, but Danny's best days were left at the Swamp. He's looked terrible against the first team defenses. He may look better if he had a strong O-Line, but the fact is that he doesn't and we need someone who can perform as good as possible under pressure. SM's decisions to look short and take the dump offs may not impress SOS or excite anyone, but it wasn't worse than Danny lobbing the ball into double coverage. PR has the arm strength to unload quickly and although he may throw more interceptions by trying to force balls in where they shouldn't, his strength will probably help him complete some passes SM and DW can't. We'll have to take the good with the bad.

Don't get me wrong. I think DW is a great guy and I think it's possible he could have a good game or two. I'd love to see him lead us to the playoffs and watch Mel Kiper caddy for SOS. But as I said before, he can't play well on a consistent basis against top flight defenses. I'm not looking for a good game or two - I'm looking for a good season.

In response to your quote above, it sounds good in theory. The problem is that in college each week you compete against a team that has one or two superstars who have great athletic ability and speed. You can often negate that by say throwing at the slow cornerback or running over the side with the smaller or slow tackle. In the NFL all the guys are faster and bigger so their are comparatively fewer weak spots to exploit. It's like playing against a college all star team almost every week only overall the guys are even bigger and faster.

The premise of this thread subject line is flawed. The college football season has started. Most college football fans are only marginally interested in the NFL. So, it is not unusual for college football fans to not particularly care about the NFL on these boards as much as they do on college football boards and topics.

Lets see, maybe it is safe for the adults to chat now that little orangeskin is likely in bed for the night.

1. Ramsey was not a very efficient QB at Tulane. There are no ways around that fact. Ramsey was not at Vandy playing an SEC schedule. Ramsey was not even at Duke playing a crummy ACC schedule. Ramsey was at Tulane playing a C-USA midmajor schedule. He had better than average midmajor talent around him and he was not particularly good. He was basically a run and shoot QB who threw lots of passes and for very little yardage and very few TDs. SOS's track record is those guys do not win jobs for him.

2. Matthews may or may not be hurt but he has not finished two of his three games reportedly because of injury. If you were a coach, would you want to continue to start games with a guy who does not finish them? Most coaches prefer a play in the flow of the game to be their QB in the 4th quarter. By starting Wuerffel, SOS still has Matthews as a relief pitcher.

3. Wuerffel has been sacked alot in the NFL. Despite that he has led teams to wins in games. If you had seen his protection at New Orleans, you would know it was not a matter of knowing what to do with the ball but a matter of no time, not unlike the Skins.

Originally posted by The 'Raidâ„¢

The premise of this thread subject line is flawed. The college football season has started. Most college football fans are only marginally interested in the NFL. So, it is not unusual for college football fans to not particularly care about the NFL on these boards as much as they do on college football boards and topics.

Raid, I don't mean this as an insult, but since you're new around here you're not really in a position to comment on this. Early on we had "GatorSkins" lining up professing their support for Spurrier and the Redskins. They practically took this message board over at one point. They all said they'd be here rooting on the team and discussing football on Extremeskins. It just seems that since we've run into a rough patch, many of the GatorSkins have been very quiet, which led me to ask the question, "Have the GatorSkins jumped off the bandwagon?" It's a completely legitimate question. I'd imagine that if the Skins straighten things out and Spurrier begins to look more like a genious, the GatorSkins will be back in full force.

Originally posted by InstiGATOR

My view on the SOS QB decision:

3. Ramsey has no record of being a good QB. He was less than average at Tulane. He apparently has tools but we have not seen him in practice to see if he is any better than he was.

So you go with the guy who you hope can develop a feel for the game and finish. You still have the guy whose body seems not to be able to take the NFL to finish if your starter has a bad day. And you are throwing your rookie to the dogs.

Holy God, what a load of bunk.

Skins fans, PLEASE disregard ANYTHING this guy says. First he says that Heath Shuler wasn't any good at Tennessee, then he says Peyton Manning wasn't that great of an SEC QB, and NOW he says Patrick Ramsey was "below average" at Tulane.

See what i mean when I said that Florida fans think they are the only school that can produce a good QB? Instigator. Hush. Go back to Gator Country, where you can all :jerkoff: over that 96 season.

Originally posted by ChrisFul

Skins fans, PLEASE disregard ANYTHING this guy says. First he says that Heath Shuler wasn't any good at Tennessee, then he says Peyton Manning wasn't that great of an SEC QB, and NOW he says Patrick Ramsey was "below average" at Tulane.

See what i mean when I said that Florida fans think they are the only school that can produce a good QB? Instigator. Hush. Go back to Gator Country, where you can all :jerkoff: over that 96 season.

ChrisFul.. right on. I can't belive those comments. I'm a Gator fan and I became fans of Shuler and Manning because of seeing them play. I am not a Gator Homer, I don't think it's a sin to give credit to other programs or players. Shuler earned his right to be the #3 pick in 94. It didn't work out for the Skins, but it did for him, he got paid. Manning... I don't even think that deserves a comment.

Ramsey.... IF he sucked so bad a Tulane, why was he the obviouls third qb in the draft? His stats at Tulane look pretty good to me, but the bottom line is that Football is a team sport and 10 other guys effect every individuals succes regardless.

HOMER=:puke:

Originally posted by ChrisFul

Instigator. Hush.

This may very well be the most intelligent thing I have ever heard a Cowboy fan say.

Originally posted by GatorEye

After this season DW needs to become a coach while SM plays the role of veteran backup and PR and another young gun (hopefully Grossman) compete for the top spot. I'd like to have 2 guys we can grow with and develop.

Are you suggesting that the Skins should use their first draft pick next year for Grossman instead of an offensive lineman? Would that be a smart move?

I would love to see Rex play for Spurrier again, but I would think that some folks at Extremeskins would get pretty extreme if the front office doesn't use its first pick (and second and third) to get help on the O-line.

Originally posted by cocodrilo

Are you suggesting that the Skins should use their first draft pick next year for Grossman instead of an offensive lineman? Would that be a smart move?

I would love to see Rex play for Spurrier again, but I would think that some folks at Extremeskins would get pretty extreme if the front office doesn't use its first pick (and second and third) to get help on the O-line.

Well, O-Line is more of a concern than QB right now, but I'm not sure our plan to fix our O-Line problems. Is it free agency or draft? Is there an O-Lineman worth a high #1 pick? I don't know the answer right now and I'm not sure the front office does either.

I agree that drafting another QB in the first round makes the Ramsey pick seem like a waste. Basically I'm just indulging myself in the fantasy of Grossman playing for SOS again. I DO believe however, that we need another young QB to compete with PR next year because we could be without SM AND DW next year. SM has a one year contract and what if he doesn't want to be a backup? What if DW plays poor and realizes he should be a coach?

I'd really like to see us develop young talent at QB. Look at how we've brought along Jansen, Samuels, and Champ. Hopefully we can do the same with some of our receivers.

Dear Homers,

Picking Rex would be almost as terrible as the Ramsey pick. Mendez and Ramsey will go down in history like hydrogen and the Hindenberg.

Luftwaffe, 1937: "We can't buy an inert gas like helium, so let's buy hydrogen, the most explosive gas know to man, and fill our blimp with it."

Mendez, 2002: "Forget Car and Harrington, why trade up if we really feel we need a QB? We can buy the most unproven college QB in the NCAA history and blow our first round on him. Sure he promised us his unproven, no-conference, no-school *** will be in camp, but heck, if you find a team dumb enough to blow their first round on you, even though nobody in the country has ever heard of your God forsaken name, why not holdout for a better deal because now you really got 'em by the balls. (Mendez: Gosh, I guess we have to pay him the shake-down money or else we really look stupid.)"

Back to Rex: That is to say back to the sidearm-throwing, back-foot launching, forced-throwing, one-receiver looking, goal-line intercepting, flash-in-the-pan has-been. I never want to see that idiot megalomaniac in a Redskins uniform. Can you say: Ryan Leaf? It was one thing when Spurrier had Rex by the short hairs and straightened him out after every play, but Zook has given Rex free reign to self-implode, and self-implode he has. How do you take a Heisman runner-up and convert him into product we're seeing today? I firmly believe Zook hates the Gators for some reason, how else do you explain Rex's transformation from demi-god to sorry hack? It has to be deliberate sabotage.

(Not to mention, how does Zook, a special teams coach, so royally screw up the special teams that even Kentucky has a shot at knocking us off?)

Sorry Gator fans, but if you look into your heart you'll know it's true. Unfortunately, if you agree with me, you'll be banned from GatorCountry for life.

So, if criticism hurts, go back and join the GatorCountry circle jerk. No, true Gator fan would be seen there.

Love,

O&BSkins

:peace1:

PS: Rex, still love you dude. Just try a little humility and try and remember the HBC's sideline admonishments and instructions, you were beautiful once, you can be again! GG

HTTR

:pint:

PS, PS: Heath and Peyton are both horrendous. Heath proved it, the Edge and Harrison have made Manning look better than he is. Prediction: Manning out of a job, 2003.

:fortune:

Dear Homers,

Picking Rex would be almost as terrible as the Ramsey pick. Mendez and Ramsey will go down in history like hydrogen and the Hindenberg.

Luftwaffe, 1937: "We can't buy an inert gas like helium, so let's buy hydrogen, the most explosive gas know to man, and fill our blimp with it."

Mendez, 2002: "Forget Car and Harrington, why trade up if we really feel we need a QB? We can buy the most unproven college QB in the NCAA history and blow our first round on him. Sure he promised us his unproven, no-conference, no-school *** will be in camp, but heck, if you find a team dumb enough to blow their first round on you, even though nobody in the country has ever heard of your God forsaken name, why not holdout for a better deal because now you really got 'em by the balls. (Mendez: Gosh, I guess we have to pay him the shake-down money or else we really look stupid.)"

Back to Rex: That is to say back to sidearm-throwing, back-foot launching, forced-throwing, one-receiver looking, goal-line intercepting, flash-in-the-pan has-been, I never want to see that idiot megalomaniac in a Redskins uniform. Can you say: Ryan Leaf? It was one thing when Spurrier had Rex by the short hairs and straightened him out after every play, but Zook has given Rex free reign to self-implode, and self-implode he has. How do you take a Heisman runner-up and convert him into product we're seeing today? I firmly believe Zook hates the Gators for some reason, how else do you explain Rex's transformation from demi-god to sorry hack? It has to be deliberate sabotage.

(Not to mention, how does Zook, a special teams coach, so royally screw up the special teams that even Kentucky has a shot at knocking us off?)

Sorry Gator fans, but if you look into your heart you'll know it's true. Unfortunately, if you agree with me, you'll be banned from GatorCountry for life.

So, if criticism hurts, go back and join the GatorCountry circle jerk. No, true Gator fan would be seen there.

Love,

O&BSkins

:peace1:

PS: Rex, still love you dude. Just try a little humility and try and remember the HBC's sideline admonishments and instructions, you were beautiful once, you can be again! GG

HTTR

:pint:

PS, PS: Heath and Peyton are both horrendous. Heath proved it, the Edge and Harrison have made Manning look better than he is. Prediction: Manning out of a job, 2003.

I'm trying to find the sarcasm smiley in your post. Rex is playing so bad he's fallen to second on ESPN's Heisman Poll.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/heisman/index.html

He's learning a new system and was struggling with it much like the Skins defense is. He made a bad pass in the Miami game but he was under pressure as much as SM has been. Rex is a good college QB, whether he will be a good pro remains to be seen.

I won't defend Zook because he wasn't my choice and I agree it speaks volumes when he is a Special Teams coach and the Special Teams single handedly kept KY in the game. I agree with you there.

I mention Rex because he has the physical skills and obvious mental ability to run SOS's offense. I don't care who runs it, but I just prefer to give people a chance who have already proven to be successful in it. If it's some QB we pick off the street and SOS can turn him into the second coming - I'm all for it.

But man I do see why Gators can be so hated. Every day brings me closer to changing my handle - if only I could keep my post count :D Again I'm kicking myself for jumping into this, but it's kind of like looking at a car wreck on the side of the road.

<<Obviously, you've never seen DW cause he is big tough kid, and if he wasn't a Christian, he kick your skinny punk >>

Does anyone still have that picture of Wuerffel when he showed up at camp from the Post? The one where his arms look so scrawny that I thought he was a fan who bought a Skins jersey?

Just for the record, Wuerffel is listed as 6-1, 212 lbs., which hardly qualifies as big and tough in the NFL. When he won the Heisman, he was listed as 6-2. I guess all those sacks shrunk him.

Temporary OT: Sorry Redskins brethren, but this needs to said.

Eye,

Be proud to be Gator, brother. But quit looking at the final score and look at Rex throwing the ball. New system or not, there is no excuse for the breakdown in fundamentals. The W's against Tenn and Kentucky have diverted attention from Rex's horrible mechanics and decision making.

Sure, it turns out Rex is a great mudder, and he's skittering around like Brett Farve, but his lack of concentration on the art of quarterbacking will be exposed in our conference. Look at Chris Rix, that moron runs himself silly and looses the easy ones. I pray for rain every Saturday. Hey, Ole Miss + Hurricane Lilly. God is a Gator!

Only some idiot fan with his head stuck WAAAAY up his *** (as most Gator fans tend to be, in my experience) would CONTINUE to argue that Heath and Peyton weren't good college qbs.

Hell, now this bozo has gone one step further from resident wack-job InstiGator's "Peyton wasn't a good SEC QB" to "Peyton will be OUT of an NFL job in 2003".

Give me a @##$ing break. No wonder they banned you from GatorCountry. You are too f'n stupid.

Im through with you, your money's on the table....:puke:

Well, Orange & Blue is right about one thing, and that is that Grossman looks nowhere NEAR the QB he was last year. His mechanics are ALL screwed up, he's lobbing the ball, tends to be a little high on his passes, and appears to be throwing SIDEARM...not to mention off his back foot.

My old roommate is a big time Gator fan and even HE admits it.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

Raid, I don't mean this as an insult, but since you're new around here you're not really in a position to comment on this. Early on we had "GatorSkins" lining up professing their support for Spurrier and the Redskins. They practically took this message board over at one point. They all said they'd be here rooting on the team and discussing football on Extremeskins. It just seems that since we've run into a rough patch, many of the GatorSkins have been very quiet, which led me to ask the question, "Have the GatorSkins jumped off the bandwagon?" It's a completely legitimate question. I'd imagine that if the Skins straighten things out and Spurrier begins to look more like a genious, the GatorSkins will be back in full force.

Yeah, they stopeed coming here when it got "rough" because some of us got sick of listening to some of the brutal posts about the team.

It is a lot of things. Gator football season has started and that always was and is our true love. The Gator coaches are having problems coaching ... so Gator fans are spending more time on Gator boards venting ... or forgetting about all forms of football and waiting for Billy D ball to start up. Spurrior is not lighting up the NFL as most of us hoped ... but without an offensive line what real chance did we have at that .... foolish of me to not realize just how bad our OL is and adjust my thinking to the possibility of a mediocre season. But I did not foresee Lewis's defense being this bad, it was our ace in the hole to getting into the playoffs this year ... and it is now a liability.

I post here 6-8 times a week when there is some good threads with info about the team ... but I usually visit once a day.

Who posted Danny is a wimp with scranny little arms??? I6287-2002Aug11 WTF????

My predictions? Danny gets some blocking and they find a receiver that can run a route .... hell, maybe Lewis will teach his guys how to tackle for this game!!??? ... and we beat TN. Danny Wuerffel is an excellent NFL quality QB .... no QB is worth a damn throwing from off the ground.

Oh, and InstiGATOR pisses off enough people here he gets banned

Archived