Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some respect for Gibbs among today's coaches

21KillzCowboys

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=877&Category=1

Joe Gibbs, not Belichick, may be the best coach in football

JoeGibbs.jpgThe format of our list gives short shrift to Gibbs, a Cold, Hard Football Facts favorite who joins Belichick as the only three-time head-coaching champion active in the NFL today. And, of course, he’s the only Hall of Famer working an NFL sideline.

Gibbs has the best regular-season winning percentage of any active coach (.648) – yet his teams have still elevated their performance in the postseason, winning 17 of 23 games (.739) in a career that includes 14 seasons and dates all the way back to 1981. His awe-inspiring postseason winning percentage is .091 points higher than his awe-inspiring regular-season winning percentage.

By the way, this system they use to rank "big-game" coaches is kinda whacked...the only thing they should consider is their records in the post-season, when every game is a "big game"...comparing their post-season records to their regular season records is unnecessary and irrelevant. Is Billick a better big-game coach than Gibbs solely because he's a worse regular season coach?...Makes no sense.

See one thing that I do not like about this is this. What happens if Belichek never makes the playoffs again? His postseason record will always be great then. Also where does it mention that we didn't have great players, like Tom Brady. That should always be one of the biggest testiments to Joe Gibbs.

The man is great at winning period! Regardless who is on team.

I particularly like this nugget:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=650

When it comes to coaches, our respect for Washington’s Joe Gibbs (pictured here) knows no bounds. He now has a remarkable 17-5 postseason record and all you need to know about him is this: Gibbs was out of football for 12 years, but he has still won a Super Bowl more recently than King of the Blowhards, Bill Parcells, who may stand as the most overrated coach in NFL history

I particularly like this nugget:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=650

When it comes to coaches, our respect for Washington’s Joe Gibbs (pictured here) knows no bounds. He now has a remarkable 17-5 postseason record and all you need to know about him is this: Gibbs was out of football for 12 years, but he has still won a Super Bowl more recently than King of the Blowhards, Bill Parcells, who may stand as the most overrated coach in NFL history

That is fantastic. I'm glad to hear someone finally say this. Parcells without Belichek is a good coach, but not Hall of Fame caliber. Makes a damn good football instructional video though. I wonder if he'll update it next year to include a segment on 'Dealing with Troubled Kids on Your Team"...

Archived