Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW:Jacobs faces uphill battle to crack Skins’ deep WR corps

tonyriggins

PFW states the obvious and then treats it like an 'insiders' look at where a team stands.

We all know that Jacobs is on the bubble and that Patten's salary is large for a potential #4 receiver.

In fact the Post, Times and other sources have noted this over the past 2-3 months.

I think they should keep 6 receivers. What happened to us last year sucked. However, if they do decide to only keep 5, I sure hope Thrash is the one thats gone. He had similar stats to Jacobs last year. The only difference is Thrash is only going to get worse(old) and Jacobs cant be any worse only better.

I think they should keep 6 receivers. What happened to us last year sucked. However, if they do decide to only keep 5, I sure hope Thrash is the one thats gone. He had similar stats to Jacobs last year. The only difference is Thrash is only going to get worse(old) and Jacobs cant be any worse only better.

I can understand where you're coming from, but Thrash's Special Teams play is huge. He is also an important team leader whether on or off the field!

Don't look at stats with Thrash. Jacobs does not play ST like Thrash, he does no block like Thrash, and he definitey cannot be trusted by the coaching staff like Thrash!!

Thrash is much better for US than Jacobs.

Don't look at stats with Thrash. Jacobs does not play ST like Thrash, he does no block like Thrash, and he definitey cannot be trusted by the coaching staff like Thrash!!

Thrash is much better for US than Jacobs.

I would definitely agree, also TJ is soft and plays scared.

I agree with AKM. TRUE- Jacobs has not played up to his potential. TRUE- Jacobs is younger. However, given those facts it is more important to get better on special teams and keep our locker room presence on the prize which is the Super Bowl. Thrash is more of an all around better talent... Clearly he should stay on the roster. As for Jacobs, I think the Redskins should part ways with him.

Dallas

Lost amid the hoopla of a big offseason, spiked by the addition of WR Terrell Owens, is the fact that the offensive line remains a major question mark. You could make the argument that every spot holds a critical question. OLT Flozell Adams is coming off a season-ending knee injury, and Bill Parcells continues to have doubts about Adams’ motivation. Is OLG Kyle Kosier an upgrade over Larry Allen? Center was a revolving door, with Al Johnson deemed too small and Andre Gurode too mistake-prone. ORG Marco Rivera was a disappointment, plagued by back troubles. And ORT Rob Petitti allowed 13 1⁄2 sacks in an overwhelming rookie season. There are good reports coming out of Dallas, though. Adams has been working hard at the team’s facility, on target to return for camp. Johnson reportedly has added 15-20 of muscle. And the buzz is that Petitti and waiver-wire pickup Marc Colombo have looked terrific in offseason workouts, even better than Jason Fabini, who many thought might beat out both for the ORT job.

Past Dallas WWHI >

HHHMMMMM looks like the skins fans arent the only ones who noticed

I'd love to see those four/five DE packages from the Giants.....

....then I'd love to see Clinton blow by all of them on a draw as they all rush upfield looking for a sack and ignoring their responsibilities.

Four defensive ends is ridiculous. Yeah, they've got bad DT's, but that idea is just silly.

I would keep Jacobs over Thrash. Jacobs isn't quite the special teamer Thrash is, but he isn't a slouch there either. And there is still a chance he goes from being a supposedly great practice player to someone who can contribute in games. Thrash's best years were... well, years ago.

I would keep Jacobs over Thrash. Jacobs isn't quite the special teamer Thrash is, but he isn't a slouch there either. And there is still a chance he goes from being a supposedly great practice player to someone who can contribute in games. Thrash's best years were... well, years ago.

Thrash is the consumate special teamer and even in his age is a better mental player than Jacobs is a physical one.

Jacobs is a failed pick from a failed coaching staff that is best left in reserve and given a slap on the bakc on his way out the door when his rookie contact expires.

Nothing shocking here. Jacobs has been a disappointment since day one. I'd rank our current receivers as follows 1) Moss 2) Lloyd 3) Randle El 4) Thrash 5) Patten 6) Jacobs. You can probably argue #2 and 3, but what it basically spells out is that we won't take 6 receivers through camp. Except for salary issues, it will probably be Taylor thats gone.

Nothing shocking here. Jacobs has been a disappointment since day one. I'd rank our current receivers as follows 1) Moss 2) Lloyd 3) Randle El 4) Thrash 5) Patten 6) Jacobs. You can probably argue #2 and 3, but what it basically spells out is that we won't take 6 receivers through camp. Except for salary issues, it will probably be Taylor thats gone.

Why wouldn't you take 6 WRs into the season? Saunders uses 5 wide often, you think it's not worth it to have six wideouts?

Training camp hasn't started yet. Let them earn it on the field instead of speculating. Leave it to the bored sports writers to do that.

i wouldt get rid of thrash hes been doing everything we asked him to and he loves being a redskin

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Thrash loves being a Redskin, but I'd like to keep him around. You need to remember that Thrash left the Redskins for the Eagles. He only returned to the Redskins when the Eagles didn't want him anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like Thrash and wish we had did what it takes to keep him here originally, but if the Eagles had deemed him important instead of wasting their time with TO, Thrash would still be an Eagle.

He blocked a punt, though I don't remember any field goals.

Don't compare Thrash and Jacob's stats from last year, because Thrash was out injured a good part of the year. Look at how crippled our passing game was when both Thrash and Patten were hurt and Jacobs lined up opposite Moss. At least when Thrash got back in he could draw some coverage. To this day, I still don't see why all the love for Jacobs - why can't people just accept the fact that he's a bust that we only drafted because Spurrier insisted (this is public record, by the way. Cerrato wanted to draft Mike Doss with the 2nd rnd pick, and SOS begged for TJ, and Snyder broke the tie in SOS's favor.

To this day, I still don't see why all the love for Jacobs - why can't people just accept the fact that he's a bust that we only drafted because Spurrier insisted (this is public record, by the way. Cerrato wanted to draft Mike Doss with the 2nd rnd pick, and SOS begged for TJ, and Snyder broke the tie in SOS's favor.

The love must be because he was a second round pick and is young. Fact is he hasn't done anything for us. This season was the first time he contributed on ST's. I was hoping for Doss and really bummed, but not surprised with Spewiers choice.

The love must be because he was a second round pick and is young. Fact is he hasn't done anything for us. This season was the first time he contributed on ST's. I was hoping for Doss and really bummed, but not surprised with Spewiers choice.

On the other hand perhaps we should thank Taylor. If we drafted Doss back then Sean Taylor may never have been a Redskin and we would have had Winslow instead....scary thoughts.

On the other hand perhaps we should thank Taylor. If we drafted Doss back then Sean Taylor may never have been a Redskin and we would have had Winslow instead....scary thoughts.

So let me get this right, Spewior did the right thing by making the wrong decision? Makes sense!

Archived