Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are they Americans in Lebanon?

88Comrade2000

Front Page of CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/18/stranded.family/index.html

U.S. family: Get us out of Lebanon

story.esseily.family.jpg

About 350 of the estimated 25,000 American citizens in Lebanon had been flown to Cyprus from the U.S. Embassy in Beirut by nightfall Tuesday, Maura Harty, the assistant secretary of state for consular affairs, told reporters.

Tony Esseily is Lebanese, and Monika Esseily is American. They made the trip this summer so their 9-month-old son, T.J., could be baptized in Lebanon.

Esseily said she can't wait to get the family home to Dana Point, California, but she still has mixed feelings about leaving Lebanon.

"I will have a heartache leaving," she said, "because I will leave all of these wonderful Lebanese people behind in sorrow and heartache."

:rolleyes:
You assume that just because they are American, that means they are white. You can be American and of Lebanese descent. Many were there to visit family.

That just about sums it up...

Okay, I thought of my :2cents: on this. If anything, shouldn't we be asking why there are not more Americans in Lebanon? I think it would be great if more Americans spent some quality time abroad, especially in the Middle East and other places where the culture and lifestyle is dissimilar from that found in the US. That way the world could see that Americans are not all fat, greedy, and arrogant (how do you think we are perceived?) and more Americans could get a better sense of the rest of the world. I have traveled in Europe and Asia and have found the experience quite enriching. I have not been to the Middle East, though. Maybe someone who has been to Lebanon would be willing to describe their experience to us and explain to us what (in addition to family connections) would compel an American to visit that place. Also, for the benefit of those who think that Lebanese people are all terrorists, maybe you could also describe your interactions with the people there and the degree to which you felt unsafe because you are an American.

I see we are evacuating Americans from Lebanon?

Why on earth are Americans there? Frankly, any American in the middle east has a bullseye as potential terrorist targets.

You just asked this for discussion, didn't you?

No, Really.

Blondie

State Department / Gov't work / Sub contractor.

Working for a company trying to expand.

Schooling

Vacation or your 1st residence...

Never let fear keep you from seeing the world! It's an incredible place.

*But*, Have a contingency plan at all times... don't wander around in a stupor and wonder why things are going your way.....

That just about sums it up...

Okay, I thought of my :2cents: on this. If anything, shouldn't we be asking why there are not more Americans in Lebanon? I think it would be great if more Americans spent some quality time abroad, especially in the Middle East and other places where the culture and lifestyle is dissimilar from that found in the US. That way the world could see that Americans are not all fat, greedy, and arrogant (how do you think we are perceived?) and more Americans could get a better sense of the rest of the world. I have traveled in Europe and Asia and have found the experience quite enriching. I have not been to the Middle East, though. Maybe someone who has been to Lebanon would be willing to describe their experience to us and explain to us what (in addition to family connections) would compel an American to visit that place. Also, for the benefit of those who think that Lebanese people are all terrorists, maybe you could also describe your interactions with the people there and the degree to which you felt unsafe because you are an American.

Lebonan's lifestyle is very similar to the US.Why do you think there is a high number of people there.Also its almost European in its outlook.I knew two guys fell in love and went there:doh: .

I see we are evacuating Americans from Lebanon?

Why on earth are Americans there? Frankly, any American in the middle east has a bullseye as potential terrorist targets.

Why not be in Lebonon? I guess you are summing up American's feelings about traveling abroad and foreigners. Frightened. Im in Europe right now, was in Eastern Europe a few weeks ago, I might go to Egypt. I'm not scared. My uncle and aunt adopted a baby from Lebonon last year. They didnt think twice about traveling there. Of course I'm glad the airport wasnt bombed while they were taking off. But its not North Korea. No wonder only 20% of Americans hold a passport, I guess we do live in fear.

Lebanon was expecting 2 million tourists this summer in a country of only 4.5 million and Beirut was back as the Paris of the Middle East. Within the last year alone Paul Van Dyke, DJ Tiesto, 50 cent (and many more) performed in Lebanon. I was at the Paul Van Dyke Beach party, 5000 people, at a beach resort, partying till the sun comes up. Paul Van Dyke, by the way, in a later interview said it was his favorite party of 2005. It was fun but I spent 2 hours searching for my friend, an american-american, who was visiting me in Lebanon. It turns out that he hopped the fence and walked down to the beach to hook up with some girl he met...it was pretty funny.. on top of that she was Shia and she happens to live in the center of the bombing raids near Beirut Airport.

Every year that I've visited, I've met more and more americans not just of lebanese descent either. There are many American companies and schools throughout the country. The 2 biggest universities are the American University of Beirut, and the Lebanese American University. The connections between Lebanon and America go back to the 1800's when Protestant missionaries set up shop.

I've talked to Americans and asked them their impressions and they said they feel very safe. They also add that they don't venture into Palestinian Refuggee camps wearing U.S.A shorts, and an I love Israel T-shirt.

Check out yahoo's travel page and look at the pics and read the reviews. Lebanon and Beirut will be back hopefully. d

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-486711-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=Ak6okBQ1v0hxquitR.JOzn9JN2oL

Why not be in Lebonon? I guess you are summing up American's feelings about traveling abroad and foreigners. Frightened. Im in Europe right now, was in Eastern Europe a few weeks ago, I might go to Egypt. I'm not scared. My uncle and aunt adopted a baby from Lebonon last year. They didnt think twice about traveling there. Of course I'm glad the airport wasnt bombed while they were taking off. But its not North Korea. No wonder only 20% of Americans hold a passport, I guess we do live in fear.

I don't think it's so much fear as it is, IMO, the majority of Americans just don't seem to care about the outside world as a whole. We didn't get labeled as fat, greedy, and arrogant for no reason. And when we do finally venture out to see the world around us many of us bring along a snotty attitude that screams "i'm better then you because I'm an American". I can see why some people in France and Europe hate our guts. If I was born in these countries I'd be annoyed by American's who feel as though they are superior to all other races and cultures.

I think these feelings that American's have towards other countries stem from the racism that has been with this country since it's inception. Americans have to realize that when you are visiting another country, especially when you are trying to learn a different language, we need to humble ourselves and treat others like they are human and not like some other species.

I never understood how some of our American brethren feel as though they are far superior then that of any other "foreigner", yet we have absolutely no control as to what "race" we are or where we are born.

Sometimes it kinda makes me chuckle because none of our original ancestors were "Americans". Our country really needs to get over itself, period.

GC

jonas,

How about this.... some of us just don't see any need to ever leave the United States. It's not a matter of being frightened, it's just a matter that some of us don't believe there's anything outside the United States that we really need/want to see or experience that badly.

I've been outside the U.S. twice in my lifetime. Both were family trips to Canada in my youth. I really don't believe that there's anything else I care to see (not that I really wanted to go to Canada either) outside the USA. Hell, I study medieval history (none of which happened on this continent), and have family members who live abroad and I still see no reason to leave the United States.

Obviously you choose to spend a fair amount of time abroad. There's nothing wrong with that. It's your choice, which you are free to make. Just please don't insinuate that those of us with no interest in doing the same are hiding our heads in the sand or are scared to see and experience other cultures.

Oh, and regarding the Passport thing.... I've got the only alternate photo ID (beyond a driver's license) I ever need right in my pocket... a state issued CCW permit (try to get one of those in Germany, Poland, or any other country around the world). Therefore I have no need of a passport.

I don't think it's so much fear as it is, IMO, the majority of Americans just don't seem to care about the outside world as a whole. We didn't get labeled as fat, greedy, and arrogant for no reason. And when we do finally venture out to see the world around us many of us bring along a snotty attitude that screams "i'm better then you because I'm an American". I can see why some people in France and Europe hate our guts. If I was born in these countries I'd be annoyed by American's who feel as though they are superior to all other races and cultures.

You are correct that most of us couldn't care much less about the world outside the borders of the US, except as they directly influence our daily lives. We are better than them because we're Americans. If anyone doesn't believe that, I would truly suggest to them that they move to where they believe society is better and adopt the society of their new home.

I think these feelings that American's have towards other countries stem from the racism that has been with this country since it's inception. Americans have to realize that when you are visiting another country, especially when you are trying to learn a different language, we need to humble ourselves and treat others like they are human and not like some other species.

I will agree with you that if I were going to visit France or Germany or Japan, it's my responsibility to do enough research on the language and culture to be able to act inside that culture for the period of time that I'm there. That is part of the reason I have less than no interest in going overseas. I have no real interest in doing that much research and study on a modern society that I don't believe to be worth the effort to study.

I never understood how some of our American brethren feel as though they are far superior then that of any other "foreigner", yet we have absolutely no control as to what "race" we are or where we are born.

It's not a matter of "race", GC4C. It's a matter of society that makes Americans superior to foreigners.

Sometimes it kinda makes me chuckle because none of our original ancestors were "Americans". Our country really needs to get over itself, period.

You are correct that most of us have ties back to Europe. However, did you ever think that maybe there was a reason our families left Europe? Maybe those people realized how screwed up things were there and came here looking for a better society? If that is so (and I believe it is), why the hell would we want to emulate those societies our forefathers broke away from?

jonas,

How about this.... some of us just don't see any need to ever leave the United States. It's not a matter of being frightened, it's just a matter that some of us don't believe there's anything outside the United States that we really need/want to see or experience that badly.

I've been outside the U.S. twice in my lifetime. Both were family trips to Canada in my youth. I really don't believe that there's anything else I care to see (not that I really wanted to go to Canada either) outside the USA. Hell, I study medieval history (none of which happened on this continent), and have family members who live abroad and I still see no reason to leave the United States.

Obviously you choose to spend a fair amount of time abroad. There's nothing wrong with that. It's your choice, which you are free to make. Just please don't insinuate that those of us with no interest in doing the same are hiding our heads in the sand or are scared to see and experience other cultures.

Oh, and regarding the Passport thing.... I've got the only alternate photo ID (beyond a driver's license) I ever need right in my pocket... a state issued CCW permit (try to get one of those in Germany, Poland, or any other country around the world). Therefore I have no need of a passport.

Xenophonia is the reason we're hated.

Is anyone else worried that MSF is running around with a concealed weapon?

since you bring up personal attacks, I will say Im more concerned about people with Iranian backgrounds that have a superiority complex than a nationalistic isolationist with a concealed weapon.

Archived