Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Budget Woes Hit Army Posts Nationwide

Baculus

I didn't see this article posted anywhere, which was first published last week. Just think of the threads we've had in which we had debated the great amount of money which has disappeared in Iraq - a lot of this money has been connected to private firms such as the oft-mentioned Halliburton and their subsidiaries. I directly blame this shortfall on the inefficiency of spending in Iraq, with hundreds of millions in Pentagon money simply gone, misappropriated, and lost through price gouging. Ironically, I have seen members of this board who are pro-military but also defended Halliburton, all the while this company, among others, have ripped off enough funds to the point that it has now affected the bases in the U.S and the military. Halliburton isn’t the sole reason for such shortfalls, but Congress can only assign so much money to the effort in Iraq, and how can money, which disappears and become unallocated, actually be allocated? And several whistleblowers have attested to such unethical, dishonest, and illegal profiteering by this company, as well as KBR.

Of course, Halliburton has been under focus for several years due to a number of scandals, so I am not sure why anyone wouldn’t be surprised by Halliburton’s dishonest activity.

Incidentally, it was some Congressional Republicans who killed a bill to investigate Halliburton, and others, into price gouging. Ironically, some other Republicans have also voiced their support for investigation into such abuse.

Read the following website for some interesting reports:

http://www.halliburtonwatch.org/home.html

Budget Woes Hit Army Posts Nationwide

By LIZ AUSTIN

FORT SAM HOUSTON, Texas Jul 6, 2006 (AP)— A diversion of dollars to help fight the war in Iraq has helped create a $530 million shortfall for Army posts at home and abroad, leaving some unable to pay utility bills or even cut the grass.

In San Antonio, Fort Sam Houston hasn't been able to pay its $1.4 million monthly utility bill since March, prompting workers in many of the post's administrative buildings to get automated disconnection notices.

Fort Bragg in North Carolina can't afford to buy pens, paper or other office supplies until the new fiscal year starts in October.

And in Kentucky, Fort Knox had to close one of its eight dining halls for a month and lay off 133 contract workers.

Click here for the rest of the article, or the link below.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2162359

Too many profiteers, these days. I've seen it small ways when I've been volunteering at military hospitals. Too much greed especially amongst those who are supposed to be supporting and filling in the gaps.

Somehow, I suspect it's all Clinton's fault.

I will point out that while it's easy (and traditional) to blame the folks at the top, waste, fraud, and abuse are not new inventions, and are a component of government transactions everywhere.

As one commentator observed some time ago, the President can't just veto the line in the budget that's labled "Waste, Fraud, and Abuse".

That said, do I think a lot of folks have viewed this war as an opportunity for profit? Of course they have.

Is it more common than under Clinton? I'd bet it is.

But, is it because Bush likes war profiteering? Or is it because it's easier for people to fudge the books in a war than in peacetime?

A lot of this has to do with poor financial management too.

And don't kid yourself, this kind of stuff has been happening for years, long before the current administration. Just about every year there is a lean time towards the end of the fiscal year...and I can remember back in the early 90s there were shortages of funds for facility maintenance at some posts I was on.

Apparently it only becomes news when someone wants to use it to promote their agenda.

I'm not saying that Halliburton isn't a problem, but they're not the only factor at work here.

Too many profiteers, these days. I've seen it small ways when I've been volunteering at military hospitals. Too much greed especially amongst those who are supposed to be supporting and filling in the gaps.

Somehow, I suspect it's all Clinton's fault.

Completely Clinton's fault. I remember a number of the military members on this board complaining about the lack of funds during the Clinton years to run basic operations at military posts. Just to be clear, it could never be the Republican's fault. They would never ever ever short change the troops. Someone needs to get Bill Clinton out of public office where he can do no harm.

I remember a number of the military members on this board complaining about the lack of funds during the Clinton years to run basic operations at military posts.

It happened. Read my post. This is nothing new, just dredged up because it serves an agenda.

There are billions and billions of dollars out there awarded.

Although Haliburton has been out of the news for a while, they are still under the watchful eye and being audited continuously.

There are lots of people protecting the taxpayers and government's interest. Believe it or not. I know because I am behind the scenes doing so.

It happened. Read my post. This is nothing new, just dredged up because it serves an agenda.

I know, I was being sarcastic. I remember a few members complaining about the Clinton years and how he took money away from the military and they could not meet some basic needs. Well, here we are and the biggest defense budget in history and we still can't meet basic needs. Obviously, it has nothing to do with the President, but simply bad management in DOD. Once again, and I don't like saying this, but Clinton was vindicated.

Sure, there have war profiteers for years - this is well known. At least to those who want to admit this has been happening. In line with this profiteering, that is why many have accused military industries of creating or helping to create war for profit. This was one reason why Robert Lafollette gave a speech on the reasoning for his vote against war in World War One - the millions generated by those who profit from war or the war machine.

Such profiteering occurs during peacetime as well, but this pace seems to further increase during wartime. And though I am sure there are elements of the spending that have had little oversight for one reason or another, and there have been presented many examples of overcharging or outright thievery, ranging from $45.00 cases of soda, to fuel pricing, absurd expenditures of Halliburton employees, to large sums of money simply disappearing into a money hole. This does not include the myriad other ways that money, in an unmanaged situation (in particular, the earlier years of the occupation), simply vanishes. That is why the whistleblowers have stepped forward to discuss what they have seen - if oversight was so successful, then this would not even be an issue. It must be noted that Halliburton employs a large number of private contractors for their services, so much of what they do involves personnel, contractual and financial management.

It must be noted that Halliburton has been mentioned since it is a well-known example of such profiteering, but this applies to other companies, in related industries, as well. But Halliburton and the contractors they manage have a direct impact on the troops in the region.

Been hapening for years ever since i Joined the navy then at the end of the year yopu find some magical windfall that was just discovered and you have a week to blow 2-3 million.

A lot of it goes down to the residents on base people think they are getting that electricity and stuff for free if people would turn off lights when not in use minimize water.

A few years ago these calling cards were never reported stolen but one ended up with a 50,000 dollar bill before it was disconnected

then at the end of the year yopu find some magical windfall that was just discovered and you have a week to blow 2-3 million.

Exactly! :laugh:

In 2 months or so I know my boss is going to tell me we have X amount of dollars to spend quick or we'll lose it next year. Then I'll have to find something really expensive that we really don't need to spend it on.

Your concern for the military is really touching :rolleyes:Army Surpasses Recruiting Goal for June

Army Surpasses Recruiting Goal for June

By PAULINE JELINEK

Associated Press Writer

spacer.gif7847f1e2-caaa-481d-b635-e2c8abb599a3-small.jpg

spacer.gifspacer.gifWASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army surpassed its recruiting goal for June, the Pentagon said Monday, marking the 13th consecutive month the service met or exceeded its target.

The Navy met its goal and Air Force and Marine Corps exceeded theirs slightly, according to Defense Department statistics.

Recruiting is especially important to the Army, which has been stretched thin by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The active-duty Army, which is offering a wider array of financial incentives for potential recruits and has put thousands more recruiters on the street, found 8,756 new recruits last month, compared with its target of 8,600, the Pentagon said.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman attributed the recruiting success of all the services to extra effort they've put toward recruiting.

spacer.gif

"They made this a priority and they committed resources, and the fruit is being born of their efforts," Whitman told Pentagon reporters.

Before it began its successful recruiting streak in June 2005, the active Army had missed its target four consecutive months. And even though results improved during the summer months, it missed its target that year for the first time since 1999. The Army National Guard and Army Reserve also fell short of their 2005 goals but are doing better now.

With June's additions, the active Army now has 51,612 of the 80,000 new recruits it hopes to sign by the end of the 2006 budget year on Sept. 30.

Also in June, the Navy recruited 3,961 or 100 percent of its monthly goal; the Marine Corps recruited 4,357 or 105 percent, and the Air Force recruited 2,564 or 101 percent.The reserve and National Guard components of the services also met or exceeded their recruiting goals in June except for the Navy Reserve, which recruited 95 percent of its target.

Why do we hear about Halliburton every slow news cycle? Yes, Cheney was on the board. But guess what? Halliburton (KBR) was the sole provider of all things in Bosnia and Kosovo too. They have been for years. And do you know why? Because the Government Accountability Office found they are the only contracting company that can take care of all the requirements. Other companies would only be able to cover certain aspects of the requirements. The chief rivals of Halliburton admitted as much. Why is it now an issue?

And for those being sarcastic about how Clinton had shortages, think about this: Clinton cut the military in half! All this talk about not having enough people would not be taking place right now. Clinton gave below inflation rate raises every year. I know, I was in under Clinton. Now a Private (E-1) makes as much in a month as I did as a SGT (E-5) when I first got promoted. Clinton deployed more troops in his 8 years than any other President without having a war (U.S. forces of 20,000 or more engaged in non-warfighting missions in: Somalia-1993, Haiti-1994, Bosnia-1996, and Kosovo-1999). And like I said earlier, KBR was the main provider of contracting work in these.

Archived