Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis total?

chris@m212.com

As much as I want to say yes to that one, I'll have to say it won't happen. I feel it won't for two reasons:

1. The quality of backups at RB. We all ready know what Betts is capable of, as he has shown to be an exceptional backup for us the last couple of years, but I think everyone will be surprised by Lumsden. That's right, Lumsden. I think this guy will be a great player for us and the replacement for Betts when he leaves. Saunders has shown that he likes to share the wealth a little in the backfield if possible (ie Holmes and Johnson). So in all reality I think we could see Portis with about 1500-1600 yards and betts with about 500 or so.

2. If Portis is averaging the yardage needed to reach 2000 yards, we will probably be dominating some teams, and we won't see him too much in the second half, as the backups will be in mopping up the other team.:applause:

Don't think that's the way the offense is set up. If he has a few breakers it may happen (along with an equal performance as last year). But even still I don't think he cracks 2000. However, just one month ago we were all saying it was possible b/c we would stretch defenses. But I think D's will still stack the box against us to find out what our passing game is made of...Good Luck!

HTTR!

If all goes according to plan, I think the offense will be surprisingly explosive and give him a chance at 2000 with a good number of long runs. However, the coaches will want to keep him fresh so I think something in the 1600-1900 range is more likely...I plan to go for him early in my 2006 fantasy football drafts.

starting only 9 games, larry johnson racked in 336 attempts, only slightly lower than clinton's 352 attempts. In doing so, he racked up 1750 yards. While I recognize that Larry Johnson isn't Clinton Portis, Al Saunders gave him 336 attempts to run the ball last year, even though he only started 9 games (given he was switching with holmes the other 7 games). This shows Al gives his runningbacks a LOT of plays, so Clinton WILL get the oppurtunity to get 2,000, not to mention without 8 players stacking the box.

:chug: Do you think Portis is going to reach 2000 yards with the offence opening up this year?:dallasuck :cheers:

As much as I like CP I don't think he will get to the 2,000 yard mark.. I think since its gonna be a real balanced offense others are gonna get the rock a lot more then other years past...

But I predict CP will go for about 1200+ and about 10 tds, and about 4-500 yrds receiving..

When its suggested that the skins offense will "open up," i'm not really all that sure what that means. I know that Saunders has had some success out in KC, but isn't some of that a result of the talent there too?

The Redskins have talent, but I'm not so sure that merely "opening up" will lead to more yards, touchdowns, etc. If that were the case, then every offense would do it. I think that we'll see a willingness to take more chances at the beginning of the year, but a pull-back of sorts as the season progresses. Al Saunders may run the offense, but Gibbs is conservative and he still runs the show.

That being said, I think we should be thrilled if Portis matches last year's yardage total, with slightly less carries (higher average), and the emergence of another receiving threat to complement Moss.

When its suggested that the skins offense will "open up," i'm not really all that sure what that means. I know that Saunders has had some success out in KC, but isn't some of that a result of the talent there too?

The Redskins have talent, but I'm not so sure that merely "opening up" will lead to more yards, touchdowns, etc. If that were the case, then every offense would do it. I think that we'll see a willingness to take more chances at the beginning of the year, but a pull-back of sorts as the season progresses. Al Saunders may run the offense, but Gibbs is conservative and he still runs the show.

That being said, I think we should be thrilled if Portis matches last year's yardage total, with slightly less carries (higher average), and the emergence of another receiving threat to complement Moss.

Other than the talent that is Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City has nowhere near the talent level of the guys we have here in DC.

Santana Moss is 5 times better than any WR they have/had in KC and Lloyd/ARE are at least as good if not better than guys like Dante Hall and Eric Parker.

LJ is good, but people need to stop jocking him so much, he couldn't get on the field hardly at all his first few years (when he was the same age Portis is right now) - while portis was tearing up the NFL.

Portis is younger, much faster and surrounded by better talent. For a # of reasons, in the last 2 years we almost never seemed to get Portis to the second level untouched. Although highlight films always show RBs running people over and stiff arming people, the majority of yards in a season like LJ's and Alexanders' come from runs where the back gets 10-15 yards before even being confronted by a defensive player.

Portis maybe had 3 runs like that in the last 2 years, including the first one against tampa in 04.

Clinton Portis is one of the fastest men in the NFL - faster than LT, Bush, Tiki, Holmes, - all of them by quite a bit, except Bush (and even bush is .05 seconds slower in the 40.) Granted he has to wear RB gear which is heavier than most other positions, but still - the fact that we couldn't bust him to the second level, or seal off the LBers on sweeps/counters is the biggest reason for his "struggle", that will change this year I think.

teams with a 2000 yard rusher usually(actually never) have a solid passing game. This team is going to live on the pass.

Now, with that said, Clinton could gain 2000 TOTAL yards by gaining 1500 rushing yards and catching passes for 500 yards. He is going to have an opportunity to catch passes in this offense.

I think the more realistic question is will Clinton Portis gain 2000 total yards, and if that happens, then the Redskins should be in the Superbowl, considering that Betts will also be rushing and catching passes in addition.

:chug: Do you think Portis is going to reach 2000 yards with the offence opening up this year?:dallasuck :cheers:

It's a long shot for a few reasons.

1) It's only been done by 4 RBs, so it's not easy.

2) The NFC East is going to be tough. The hitting will be hard and yards won't come easy. You look at what Jamal Lewis did a couple years ago, I think close to half his yards came against divison teams. He had 500 yrds against the Browns alone in two games.

3) Portis was beatup come playoff time last year. If the Skins want to go deeper in the playoffs, they need CP fresh. Which means Betts and others will take away carries

Other than the talent that is Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City has nowhere near the talent level of the guys we have here in DC.

Santana Moss is 5 times better than any WR they have/had in KC and Lloyd/ARE are at least as good if not better than guys like Dante Hall and Eric Parker.

LJ is good, but people need to stop jocking him so much, he couldn't get on the field hardly at all his first few years (when he was the same age Portis is right now) - while portis was tearing up the NFL.

Portis is younger, much faster and surrounded by better talent. For a # of reasons, in the last 2 years we almost never seemed to get Portis to the second level untouched. Although highlight films always show RBs running people over and stiff arming people, the majority of yards in a season like LJ's and Alexanders' come from runs where the back gets 10-15 yards before even being confronted by a defensive player.

Portis maybe had 3 runs like that in the last 2 years, including the first one against tampa in 04.

Clinton Portis is one of the fastest men in the NFL - faster than LT, Bush, Tiki, Holmes, - all of them by quite a bit, except Bush (and even bush is .05 seconds slower in the 40.) Granted he has to wear RB gear which is heavier than most other positions, but still - the fact that we couldn't bust him to the second level, or seal off the LBers on sweeps/counters is the biggest reason for his "struggle", that will change this year I think.

I really enjoy your posts and we agree on a lot of things.

Archived