Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

props to Bellator for making the full version of this fight available on youtube. 2 classic fights on the same night, special stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HziG9DBfJf0

---------- Post added November-20th-2011 at 01:49 PM ----------

official Henderson/Shogun scorecards:

01-shogun-vs-henderson-ufc-139-scorecard_large.jpg

Kinda surprised neither fighter got credit for 10-8 round

Edited by StillUnknown

http://mmaweekly.com/anderson-silva-likely-sidelined-until-mid-2012

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is currently nursing an injured shoulder and it appears he will be on the shelf for several months.

Following his win in Brazil in August, Silva was reported to have bursitis in his shoulder that forced the reigning 185-pound king to take some time off to allow the healing to begin.

All signs were pointing towards Silva returning in early 2012 to defend his middleweight belt against top contender Chael Sonnen.

Not so fast.

Apparently, Anderson Silva’s shoulder injury is serious enough that he won’t likely return until approximately June 2012.

Curious if this is Anderson's response to Dana stating that he will fight Sonnen. Pure speculation on my part, but how hard is it to overstate an injury? Just a thought, with absolutely zero facts to back up such a thought.

EDIT: Nevermind. Stupid idea. Bash away.

Edited by herrmag

Not sure, I know that Dana came out and said that he's fighting Anderson next but didn't set a date for it.

This is what I was referring to, could just be MMA Junkie reading too much into it, but we'll see:

White refused to tip his hand on what fights are planned for the second FOX event but did all but rule out the possibility of another title fight. That said, the UFC boss did promise fans will be pleased once official announcements are made.

"I don't think you're going to see a title fight, but I don't think you're going to be disappointed with what you're going to see," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We're giving you some good fights."

One hotly rumored potential bout for UFC on FOX 2 has been the highly anticipated Anderson Silva (29-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) vs. Chael Sonnen (26-11-1 MMA, 5-4 UFC) rematch. But White confirmed June seems the most likely date for the middleweight champions return, and his sly smile and feigned ignorance when questioned about the legitimacy of recent reports the fight will likely take place in Sao Paulo seemed to suggest "The Spider" will next fight in his native Brazil.

But with Sonnen recently claiming he's not necessarily comfortable with waiting on Silva to heal some nagging shoulder bursitis, could the outspoken challenger fight first in Chicago?

"Possible," White said along with one of many sly smiles he flashed on the evening. "It's possible."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26200/white-confirms-two-hour-broadcast-four-fights-for-ufc-on-fox-2-says-sonnen-possible.mma

Looks like you were right lovetoaster:

http://mmainterviews.tv/2011/11/22/munoz-vs-sonnen-likely-to-headline-ufc-on-fox-2-on-january-28th/

Munoz vs Sonnen, Ellenberger vs Sanchez Likely to Headline UFC on FOX 2 on January 28th

According to sources close to the fighters, Mark Munoz and Chael Sonnen will meet in a number one middleweight contender bout early next year. It looks to be the headliner of UFC on FOX 2 with rumors that Munoz’s teammate, Jake Ellenberger will also be featured against Diego Sanchez. Another rumored bout is Melvin Guillard vs Jim Miller for the event taking place on January 28th at the United Center in Chicago.

Sonnen has been on record saying he will stay active rather than wait for Anderson Silva to be ready to defend his title again. Munoz has a huge opportunity to fight his way into the number one contender slot he has stated he is gunning for. The winner will likely face Silva around June, as Dana White has stated that is the timetable for the undisputed champ’s return to action.

That's two pretty damn good fights right there. Ballsy move by Sonnen if it comes to pass, because Munoz is on a tear right now. I would be interested to see what else will be on this card, as I saw that there would be four fights broadcast in a two-hour show. That's certainly a good top of the card though.

I don't know if broadcast television is ready for Diego Sanchez.

Both of those fights should be absolute wars. Definitely good fights for casual fans to see.

Call me crazy, but I think Munoz has a decent shot. With his wrestling base and explosive hands, this is a dangerous fight for Chael. He should be able to stuff some of Sonnen's takedown attempts.

Edited by lovetoaster

Call me crazy, but I think Munoz has a decent shot. With his wrestling base and explosive hands, this is a dangerous fight for Chael. He should be able to stuff some of Sonnen's takedown attempts.

I definitely think it's a dangerous fight for Chael, especially since he was already in line for a title shot. I actually think he and Munoz are similar fighters, both have strong takedowns and underrated boxing. I think Sonnen has a slight wrestling advantage though because of his background is a mix of Greco/Collegiate. But I definitely wouldn't sleep on Munoz.

I definitely think it's a dangerous fight for Chael, especially since he was already in line for a title shot. I actually think he and Munoz are similar fighters, both have strong takedowns and underrated boxing. I think Sonnen has a slight wrestling advantage though because of his background is a mix of Greco/Collegiate. But I definitely wouldn't sleep on Munoz.

Agreed. I think Sonnen has the slight wrestling advantage while Munoz has the slight striking advantage. Which is crazy to say, given how poor his striking was early in his career. He really has come a very long way. Sonnen throws strikes in order to set up takedowns, Munoz throws stikes to knock you out.

Speaking of risk, I am also thinking about what a huge risk this is for the UFC. Think about how many PPV's Sonnen-Silva II would sell. Then think about how many PPVs Munoz-Silva would register.

Edited by lovetoaster

Speaking of risk, I am also thinking about what a huge risk this is for the UFC. Think about how many PPV's Sonnen-Silva II would sell. Then think about how many PPVs Munoz-Silva would register.

That's a good point, If Sonnen loses to Munoz (especially if he loses a boring decision) the UFC isn't going to be able to replicate the PPV sells that they would've gotten out of Silva/Sonnen II. They must have a lot of confidence in Sonnen to be able to put Munoz away or they think Sonnen/Munoz will be entertaining enough to rake in lots of new fans from the next UFC on Fox card.

That's a good point, If Sonnen loses to Munoz (especially if he loses a boring decision) the UFC isn't going to be able to replicate the PPV sells that they would've gotten out of Silva/Sonnen II. They must have a lot of confidence in Sonnen to be able to put Munoz away or they think Sonnen/Munoz will be entertaining enough to rake in lots of new fans from the next UFC on Fox card.

Hey, but then again, if Munoz knocks out who many people consider the bad guy on national television, they could have a new star on their hands.

Munoz is easy work for Sonnen. Munoz's MMA wrestling isn't as good as his credentials suggest it should be. Sonnen will take him down repeatedly and win a decision.

That is more than likely the outcome. Sonnen is relentless and Munoz's MMA wrestling is not great. But it is probably better than Silva's and Stann's and anything is possible when you are fighting someone that has dynamite in their hands.

BTW - looking at Sonnen's record I noticed he's never finished an opponent in the UFC or WEC. All wins are by decision.

He just finished Brian Stann...also, re: the Munoz thing, I'm pulling for Sonnen to finish him because I'm still a little mad about Munoz getting the gift decision over Maia.

Edited by #98QBKiller