Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

From MMA Junkie

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga co-headlines March 21 UFC on Versus event

A heavyweight bout between rising prospect Junior Dos Santos (10-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) and perennial contender Gabriel Gonzaga (11-4 MMA, 7-3 UFC) is set for the March 21 "UFC on Versus 1: Vera vs. Jones" card.

Sources close to the fighters told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fight, which today was confirmed by the UFC, serves as the night's co-headliner. It was first pitched to the fighters last week.

The fight, originally slated for UFC 108, is part of a March 21 card that is the UFC's first show to air on Versus.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17544/junior-dos-santos-vs-gabriel-gonzaga-co-headlines-march-21-ufc-on-versus-event.mma

Current card:

Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

John Howard vs. Anthony Johnson

Clay Guida vs. Sean Sherk*

Spencer Fisher vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig*

Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko

Chase Gormley vs. Brendan Schaub*

* - not officially announced

Excellent card for a free event. They are starting their events on Versus with a bang...methinks this could lead to bigger things. Comcast owns Versus + UFC is now on Versus + Comcast buying NBC = :fortune:

There is also talk of Gomi vs. Florian at the next Ultimate Fight Night 10 days later in N.C., apparently either in Charlotte or Raleigh. Come on Charlotte!

Edited by lovetoaster

Current card:

Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

John Howard vs. Anthony Johnson

Clay Guida vs. Sean Sherk*

Spencer Fisher vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig*

Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko

Chase Gormley vs. Brendan Schaub*

* - not officially announced

Excellent card for a free event. They are starting their events on Versus with a bang...methinks this could lead to bigger things. Comcast owns Versus + UFC is now on Versus + Comcast buying NBC = :fortune:

There is also talk of Gomi vs. Florian at the next Ultimate Fight Night 10 days later in N.C., apparently either in Charlotte or Raleigh. Come on Charlotte!

That's awesome! If Fight Night 22 is indeed in Charlotte, I think I'm going to go down and see it. I still have some friends down there. If they go to Fayetteville, I'm pretty sure I'll stay home lol.

That's awesome! If Fight Night 22 is indeed in Charlotte, I think I'm going to go down and see it. I still have some friends down there. If they go to Fayetteville, I'm pretty sure I'll stay home lol.

I heard it is either Charlotte or Raleigh. If it is in Charlotte, it will have to be at the Bojangles Coliseum (love the name) because the Bobcats have a home game at Time-Warner Cable arena that night.

There is nothing scheduled at the RBC Center in Raleigh that night though...

Don't forget. Spike will start airing "The Best of Pride" tonight. There will be some epic fights! If you have never seen PRIDE before, you're in for a treat! Foot Stomps FTW!

I love the tagline on the commercial:

Stomps to the head

A 10-minute round

Giant checks

Edited by lovetoaster

I heard it is either Charlotte or Raleigh. If it is in Charlotte, it will have to be at the Bojangles Coliseum (love the name) because the Bobcats have a home game at Time-Warner Cable arena that night.

There is nothing scheduled at the RBC Center in Raleigh that night though...

I love the Bojangles Coliseum name too...that's one thing I definitely miss about NC lol. I know some people in Raleigh too so I may go down there for Fight Night either way.

Best of Pride debuts tonight on Spike TV at 10pm

naturally one of the first matches they are going to show is a not-washed up Liddell vs. a significantly smaller and completely juiced-up Overeem

Fixed that for you :D

Fixed it again :D :D

Don't forget. Spike will start airing "The Best of Pride" tonight. There will be some epic fights! If you have never seen PRIDE before, you're in for a treat! Foot Stomps FTW!

Damn I miss the stomps! The UFC not having them hurt Wandy and Shogun's game a little IMO. I think getting KO'd too much hurt Wandy's game too lol.

Overeem-Timeline.jpg

Transition from Overeem to Supereem...

I can't lie I've been enjoying watching Supereem destroy cans in Japan but I can't wait for him to face Fedor in Strikeforce.

:yikes:

I can't wait for that match either, I actually want to see that more than Fedor/Werdum. If Overeem's that big when he walks in he may have a shot...then again he may pull a Josh Barnett and get owned by the piss cup.

I can't wait for that match either, I actually want to see that more than Fedor/Werdum. If Overeem's that big when he walks in he may have a shot...then again he may pull a Josh Barnett and get owned by the piss cup.

I still won't believe it is actually going to happen until Overeem steps into the cage. I can imagine him getting stripped of the belt as just as likely as the fight happening.

I am definitely tuning in. I've seen many Pride fights on YouTube. It really seems to me like it was a sort of "golden age" in MMA. I'm psyched!

I still won't believe it is actually going to happen until Overeem steps into the cage. I can imagine him getting stripped of the belt as just as likely as the fight happening.

Same here. I'm wondering if he's avoiding the US for that very reason.

I am definitely tuning in. I've seen many Pride fights on YouTube. It really seems to me like it was a sort of "golden age" in MMA. I'm psyched!

You'll love it man! Pride reminds me of Street Fighter II because there are different styles of fighters from all over the globe like in that game.

They'll probably show mostly the guys that are in the UFC now. Wanderlei/Nog/Shogun/Cro Cop were all BEASTS then so I'm sure they'll show them.

I'm guessing they'll leave out Fedor & Hendo lol. Ironically though, those are the two who seem to have not lost a step.

Now that I think about it, they'll prob show some Rampage and Chuck from Pride too. Lots of good stuff. The Japanese know how to put on a show.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Same here. I'm wondering if he's avoiding the US for that very reason.

You'll love it man! Pride reminds me of Street Fighter II because there are different styles of fighters from all over the globe like in that game.

They'll probably show mostly the guys that are in the UFC now. Wanderlei/Nog/Shogun/Cro Cop were all BEASTS then so I'm sure they'll show them.

I'm guessing they'll leave out Fedor & Hendo lol. Ironically though, those are the two who seem to have not lost a step.

Now that I think about it, they'll prob show some Rampage and Chuck from Pride too. Lots of good stuff. The Japanese know how to put on a show.

I am guessing what he meant is only showing fights that show UFC fighters in a positive light.

Like Dan Henderson knocking out Wanderlei Silva may not be shown.

The one thing I definitely remember about Pride is the eerily quiet japanese audience. :)

What do you mean by that? Like they will only show fighters who are currently in or who've been in the UFC before?

i mean i hope they show fights like Fedor/CroCop or Fedor/Big Nog

i'm sure they'll show plenty of Nog's battles, but something tells me his fights with Fedor wont be shown

i look forward to seeing Shogun/Lil Nog again though, you can never see that fight enough. one of the best ever

i look forward to seeing Shogun/Lil Nog again though, you can never see that fight enough. one of the best ever

If they don't show that one tonight, I'll look for it on YouTube.

Edit- And yes, I'm willing to bet you won't see Fedor or Hendo. UFC does not want to send people clamoring to Strikeforce.

Edited by Chachie

This would be a pretty sweet fight. I'd take Lil' Nog but I still think Forrest can make it entertaining.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3782

Lil' Nog vs. Forrest Griffin "sooner than later" in 2010

Forrest Griffin and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira are set for a light-heavyweight meeting “sooner rather than later” in 2010, according to a source close to one of the fighters. Rogerio has had one fight in the UFC thus far, a TKO win at UFC 106.

The source said that a fight with Griffin has been mooted along with several other names for a fight in Nogueira’s near future. He was due to meet Jon ‘Bones’ Jones at UFC 109 and Griffin’s name was apparently in the frame for his next fight should he beat Jones.

But the Brazilian fighter suffered an injury training for the Jones fight - he sustained a fractured ankle - and will now be sidelined for several months. What opponent he comes back against has not yet been determined, but the winner of Jones-Vera seems a likely option.

Rogerio is smaller than his heavyweight twin Rodrigo and as such is often referred to as Little Nog or Lil’ Nog. He was at one point being set to make his UFC debut against Junior Dos Santos, but is said to have been less than keen on the match. He eventually made his debut against Luiz Cane, demolishing him inside two minutes at UFC 106.