Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

So watched the Silva fight again and I can't get over his ability to predict Forrest's punches. It almost looked scripted the way he was able to bob out of the way before Forrest even threw the punch. So I started thinking.

When fighters train striking you always see them throwing combo's almost in a scripted manner. Jab, Jab, right or left, right, upper cut. You know the drill. It was apparent that Silva knew what Forrest was going to throw before he even threw it. At first I thought it was because Forrest was either super slow or Silva was super fast but if you watch the fight Silva's head was moving in the right direction before Forrest even threw the punch. I think he was way to predictable.

So, we all know that Silva is not only fast but he's a super smart fighter. I'm guessing it's going to take an unorthodox striker to nick him, if not he's going to be impossible to hit. I think this is why Hendo was getting to him in the dirty boxing, hard to predict where a punch is coming from if you're pressed against the cage. Bad part is Silva is dangerous there as well with his muai tai and judo background.

I watched several minutes of the fight in slow mo and it was freaking scary how easily Silva predicted Forrest's punches...he just looked freaking silly.

I noticed this watching 99's sig over and over again. My thought was that Forrest was committing so much on his first punch that going with the opposite hand was his only option for a second throw so Anderson knew it was coming. Maybe he is reacting to the torso like your suppose to. EIther way, Anderson is incredible right now.

Just from a style standpoint I don't see anything that Randy has that can win this fight other than maybe out-wrestling Nog to a decision.

Nog obviously has the ground advantage and his chin is pretty damn good. And Randy isn't known for his KO ability to begin with. I think Randy is smart enough to not get submitted but who knows. I'm having a hard time seeing this fight finishing any way to be honest. I think Nog will take it via decision.

More than anything though, I'm interested in the Marquardt/Maia fight.

I'm thinking of opening up an acccount for this card. Nog and Thiago are both underdogs. I've got Nog by submission and Thiago by KO

I noticed this watching 99's sig over and over again. My thought was that Forrest was committing so much on his first punch that going with the opposite hand was his only option for a second throw so Anderson knew it was coming. Maybe he is reacting to the torso like your suppose to. EIther way, Anderson is incredible right now.

Just to get a little technical, my favorite part of 99's gif is how Silva tries to knock Forrest out with one punch for getting lazy with that that rhythmic range-finding jab. Anderson throws a freakin' bomb on the third half-ass jab because he knows Forrest has gotten lazy for a split-second. Silva's punch whizzes by Forrest's left cheek, but his great balance enables him to make dodging the counter punches look easy.

And he sees those punches coming, simple as that. It's like with anybody that amazes us in sports. God-given talent, along with the fact that he's been practicing his craft (Muay Thai) for 8 hours a day since he was a child. What the average observer sees is slowed down times 2 for Silva. Also have to factor in that Forrest doesn't have the quickest hands in the world...

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

i think we should pitch in to buy this for Forrest:

SILVA-BOXING-FRONT.jpg

In BOXING FOR MMA, UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva examines the sweet science as it relates to the sport of mixed martial arts. Starting at the ground floor, he teaches you how to utilize footwork to not only acquire dominant angles of attack, but also evade your opponent s strikes. He covers dozens of punches, dissecting the dynamics of each one to teach you how to deliver them with the utmost efficiency. To further your education, he then demonstrates how to blend these punches with evasive maneuvers such as slips and parries to limit the damage you receive in a fight, as well as make your opponent pay for his attacks. Leaving no stone unturned, he also breaks down the dirty boxing clinch by demonstrating numerous ways to off balance your opponent while punishing him with strikes at the same time. And once he has filled your arsenal with weapons, he shows you how to put them all together in drills, shadow boxing, and sparring. Whether you are new to the martial arts or an experienced MMA fighter, BOXING FOR MMA will elevate your game to the next level.

http://www.cagepotato.com/karo-parisyan-return-suspension-against-hazelett-ufc-106

That's gonna be a good matchup for both guys.

With his nine-month suspension for painkiller use winding down, Karo Parisyan is ready to get his career back on track. The welterweight veteran will be returning to the Octagon at UFC 106 (November 21st, Las Vegas) against 23-year-old submission artist Dustin "McLovin" Hazelett. Parisyan's last appearance was in January at UFC 94, where he scratched out a split-decision win against Dong Hyun Kim; the result was changed to a no contest following Parisyan's positive test for Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, and Oxymorphone. Before that, the Heat suffered a TKO loss against Thiago Alves in April 2008, meaning that he hasn't scored a legitimate win since his unanimous decision over Ryo Chonan at UFC 78. Hazelett is coming off back-to-back victories (and back-to-back Submission of the Night bonuses) thanks to his acrobatic armbars against Josh Burkman and Tamdan McCrory, but he hasn't competed since last November due to injury. So whose grappling will be stronger? And whose ring rust will be rustier?

Edited by Opiate-Zeo

Yeah, I was going to post something about this earlier. I think this should be a really good fight.

Also, WEC has been rescheduled from next Wednesday (9/2) to Saturday, Oct. 10. Apparently Ben Henderson suffered some sort of injury.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15959/wec-43-cerrone-vs-henderson-rescheduled-for-oct-10-location-uncertain-at-this-time.mma

ugh, man, I was really looking forward to that Cowboy/Henderson fight. I'm a big Cowboy fan.

Cowboy is a heck of a fighter, he puts on a great show. I am still annoyed about what happened in the Varner fight, as I am sure he is too...:D

But Henderson is a very good fighter as well. I think Cowboy wins this one, but after Henderson gets a few more fights under his belt, he is going to be very good.

Cowboy is a heck of a fighter, he puts on a great show. I am still annoyed about what happened in the Varner fight, as I am sure he is too...:D

But Henderson is a very good fighter as well. I think Cowboy wins this one, but after Henderson gets a few more fights under his belt, he is going to be very good.

The crazy thing about Cerrone is that he's a Muay Thai guy first but he's finished 90 percent of his fights by submission.

i think henderson will beat cerrone

i like cerrone as well, but he has a horrible takedown defense and henderson is a pretty good wrestler.

if benson's sub d is good, he will win a decision

Edited by StillUnknown

i think henderson will beat cerrone

i like cerrone as well, but he has a horrible takedown defense and henderson is a pretty good wrestler.

if benson's sub d is good, he will win a decision

That is definitely Henderson's best chance to win. I just hope the fight happens, I have not seen any further info on what Henderson's injury actually was.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15973/ufcs-quinton-jackson-to-play-b-a-baracus-in-the-a-team-movie-remake.mma

Former UFC champion Quinton Jackson has been cast as B. A. Baracus in a film remake of the popular 1980s action/adventure television series, "The A-Team," according to The Sun.

The legendary role was first played on the small screen by Mr. T during the series' five-season television run from 1983 to 1987.

The film, currently in pre-production, is slated for a June 2010 release.

Although Jackson has not been officially announced as part of the project, Oscar nominee Liam Neeson (playing the role of Col. John "Hannibal" Smith) and "The Hangover" star Bradley Cooper (Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck) are confirmed for the film, which is directed by Joe Carnahan.

In the original version of "The A-Team," a group of former Vietnam War-era United States Army Special Forces work as soldiers of fortune while running from the military "for a "crime they didn't commit."

In the remake, the characters are ex-soldiers of the Iraq War who look to clear their names from a similar offense.

Jackson is no stranger to Hollywood and has had small parts in a variety of recent films and TV shows, including "Never Surrender," "Hell's Chain" and "The King of Queens." Also reportedly in the running for the B. A. Baracus role were Tyrese Gibson and rapper The Game.

Jackson served as a coach on "The Ultimate Fighter 10," which recently concluded taping and debuts next month on Spike TV. He then fights rival coach Rashad Evans in December at UFC 107 in Memphis.

It's not known how the filming schedule may affect his fighting career, though given the size of the role, Jackson will likely need a decent amount of time away from the cage.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mma/post/2009/08/fedors-first-strikeforce-opponent-brett-rogers/1

More details to come shortly: Strikeforce has announced that Fedor Emelianenko will fight Brett Rogers this fall. The date is not yet confirmed, nor do we know whether this fight will be for an interim heavyweight belt while Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem recovers from injury.

Showtime has posted confirmation of the matchup, but still no date.

What we do know is this -- take out a disqualification loss that could've been a no-contest under other circumstances in early in Fedor's career, and these fighters' records would be a combined 40-0. That's 30 for Fedor, 10 for Rogers.

Rogers has punched out all 10 of his opponents to date. One win is listed as a submission due to strikes; the others are KOs or TKOs. All have been rather quick, with only Ron Humphrey lasting to the second round in his last eight fights, according to Sherdog's database.

The win that catapulted Rogers up the USA TODAY/SB Nation consensus MMA rankings (which, by the way, will be updated tonight) was his 22-second TKO win over Andrei Arlovski, coincidentally Fedor's last victim as well.

Fedor's also doing a grappling exhibition with Mousasi at an M1 Event on Friday:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15970/m-1-global-finalizes-complete-card-for-breakthrough-hdnet-broadcast-plans.mma

M-1 Global announces complete card for "Breakthrough," HDNet live broadcast plans

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 25, 2009 at 7:25 pm ET

The much-maligned "M-1 Global Presents Breakthrough" card was finalized today, and HDNet officially announced the evening's live broadcast plans.

Despite suffering through a a relocation of the event and the loss of an original main-event competitor, "Breakthrough" takes place Aug. 28 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan., and airs live on HDNet at 10 p.m. ET (9 p.m. local time).

The card will feature a grappling exhibition between Fedor Emelianenko and the U.S. debut of Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal.

"It is indeed special to have two of the top fighters in the world in Fedor and Gegard – with a combined record of 56 wins and three losses – put on a grappling exhibition for HDNet's MMA fans," CEO of HDNet Fights Andrew Simon stated in today's release. "There has also been a lot of buzz internationally about 'King Mo' and Karl Amoussou and I'm pumped that fans will get to see them live on HDNet."

In addition to the grappling contest, Lawal will take on UFC legend Mark Kerr in the evening's main event.

The evening's full card includes:

MAIN CARD

• Mark Kerr (15-10) vs. Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal (4-0)
  • Fedor Emelianenko vs. Gegard Mousasi (exhibition sparring match)
  • Lucio Linhares (12-4) vs. Mikhail Zayats (8-3)
  • Rob Broughton (10-4-1) vs. Jessie Gibbs (7-2)
  • Karl Amoussou (10-2-1) vs. John Doyle (8-8)
  • Lloyd "Kadillac" Marshbanks (17-8) vs. Michael Kitta (5-3)
  • Ferrid Kheder (13-4) vs. Daisuke Nakamura (19-10)

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

• Rogent Lloret (7-1) vs. Alexey Oleinik (24-4)
  • Tim Bazer (9-6) vs. Eric Marriott (13-1)
  • Josh Arocho (11-6) vs. Sean Wilson (18-9)
  • Rudy Bears (9-3) vs. Brendan Seguin (18-5)
  • Molly Ahlers-Estes (1-0) vs. Andrea Caplan (0-0)

King Mo was supposed to fight Don Frye who's now fighting Dave Herman for another organization and Mo's fighting Mark Kerr who's lost four straight.

I'll do my picks probably tomorrow but I'm taking Nog in this fight. I also saw on Inside MMA that Lil' Nog is coming to the UFC. I don't have a link to confirm it right now though.

dana confirmed it in a recent interview

no opponent has been announced yet, but personally i'd like to see him fight Luiz Cane

dana confirmed it in a recent interview

no opponent has been announced yet, but personally i'd like to see him fight Luiz Cane

Knowing UFC they'll give him a warmup, so to speak.

I'd like to see him put against Tito. Both looking for a fight. Big name, big heads.

Maybe they don't want to give a risky fight to Tito so fast...seeing as Dana is so in to him that he had to erase his blogs after they made out.

I'd like to see him put against Tito. Both looking for a fight. Big name, big heads.

Haha, excellent assessment.

I don't know about you guys, but when this main event was announced, I was not all that excited about it. But as it gets closer, I am getting more and more fired up about it. Even at his advanced age, Randy is going to give it all he has, and I am getting more and more excited about seeing a healthy Nog, maybe even something that is pretty close to the Pride Nog.

I was always looking forward to the undercard, especially Marquardt-Maia, but I am excited for the main event now as well.