Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your thoughts if Brunell doesn't look good against Minnesota

bbuzz1962

What if he breaks a leg and doesn't start at all? :doh: That's not the point of the thread Bubba. Every sports writer in the business has stated that the Redskins season is riding on the success of Mark Brunell this season.

Every team depends heavily on the play of their starting QB. That is just a fill-in statement for someone to throw in because they couldn't do enough of their homework to find something else to talk about.

Also, please knock on some wood for the leg comment. :)

What if he breaks a leg and doesn't start at all? :doh: That's not the point of the thread Bubba. Every sports writer in the business has stated that the Redskins season is riding on the success of Mark Brunell this season. Regardless of how long Brunell has been in the league, it has to put a tremendous amount of pressure on him to want to come out and look like a quarterback who can take a team into the playoffs and beyond. No matter how we all play it off, we all know that there is some validity to the point.

Most of us think he will be the man, and do the job. But if he were to lay an egg in game one, we all know the air waves will be full of I told you so's.

I totally disagree, Joe Gibbs has proven he will stick with Brunell, when everyone else thinks he is nuts. Even after his problems in 04 Gibbs kept telling everyone, Brunell isn't through, and as soon as Ramsey got hurt, boom there was Brunell. Brunell has shown he can handle anything the media can dish out after 03 and 04.

The only questions about Mark Brunell is those created by the media. Everything said about Brunell can be applied to about half the QB's in the NFL... even Bledsoe, in fact with the shaky OL, and lack of a constant run game, I would be more worried about o'le Captain Sack making it the full year... not to mention the Pokes backup QB situation.

all this fuss about Brunell is much ado about nothing

I have a hard time believing after 1 to 3 games most of you guys would want to take out Brunell and put in an inexperienced QB like Jason Campbell. Yes everyone is intrigued by Campbell but he HAS NOT played in 1 reg. season game. No one knows how he is going to react when he is under pressure and if he is going to go for the homerun(and instead throw a pick). I personally would rather see Collins in before Campbell, just because he knows Saunders system better.

If I had a time machine, I would go back to the 2004 season with Jason Campbell in my suitcase, put a gun to Gibbs' head and say, "Put the kid in, Mark's done."

Mark hasn't garnered Joe Montana status with me, he can either be a crafty veteran or a aging relic, it is up to him and his performance.:2cents:

BTW, Collins has played just as much NFL football in the last 5 years as Campbell. If Collins is coming in, we aren't winning the super bowl. If we aren't winning the superbowl, Campbell goes in. 1+1=2.

All I got to say is, too many threads for "What if Brunell this and what if Brunell that" and "let's put Campbell in" bullcrap. If Jason Campbell starts a game this year it's only because the bottom fell out and we are 2-7 and are preparing him for next year. I have been watching Gibbs since 81' and for all of you out there that have known Gibbs for that long too, he values experience over youth. Simple as that. Only young QB he had was Schreoder (because of the leg) and he bombed out after 1 year and Rypien (spent first 2 yrs in IR--when he wasn't really injured). Check your Redskins/Gibbs history fellas.

I know a lot of people on here will be saying that we'll get to see JC in Pre-season against the other teams starters, but does anyone think The Benglas, Jets, Pats and Ravens Defenses are going to go full tilt against him? There is Pre-season speed, regular season speed and playoff speed. Don't think for a minute that no matter how well JC may look in the Preseason, most teams aren't going full tilt nor do they want to show a whole lot before the regular season. Collins may not be the next coming of Steve Young, but he does have regular season game experience over JC.

If Brunell can't succeed against a lame Vikings defense, then it will raise a flag in my opinion. Because the running game WILL be clicking so Brunell should have all the time in the world to pass because the play action pass will be there.

I don't see any reason we don't put up atleast 30 points on the Vikings in game # 1

This will be a new system for everyone to learn. Plus every QB has a bad game. I think Saunders will make the QB change if needed but it will be 3 or 4 games into the season. I also believe if we do have problems at the start of the season it will be in the line, not with the QB. Pass protection and run blocking will be the keys. If we can give Mark the time to find his receivers and open holes for Portis, we will be fine..

Waiting til after the first game is way too long.

We need to see how he does on the first snap of training camp. That's our indicator for how his season will go.

Incomplete - bench him

Fumbled snap - bench him

INT - bench him

completion - wait until snap #2

I would surely hope you would concede that Brunell has earned a bit more a leash than that?!

All I got to say is, too many threads for "What if Brunell this and what if Brunell that" and "let's put Campbell in" bullcrap. If Jason Campbell starts a game this year it's only because the bottom fell out and we are 2-7 and are preparing him for next year. I have been watching Gibbs since 81' and for all of you out there that have known Gibbs for that long too, he values experience over youth. Simple as that. Only young QB he had was Schreoder (because of the leg) and he bombed out after 1 year and Rypien (spent first 2 yrs in IR--when he wasn't really injured). Check your Redskins/Gibbs history fellas.

Bingo!

As long as Brunell looks good vs DALLAS :helmet:

it won't really matter. :)

Brunell ALWAYS looks good versus Dallas. He has played against the Cowboys three times in a 'skins jersey, and these are his numbers in those games:

57-97, 779 yards, 8 TD's, 1 INT :notworthy

Archived